Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

oldpainless posted:

All 90s sketch comedy is, and I don’t use this term lightly or in jest, a big yikes.

I barely remember a single objectionable thing about The Fast Show, which ran from 94-97, but Little Britain ran from 03-06 and is totally unwatchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

oldpainless posted:

When he had the opportunity to write, produce, direct, edit and had control over a tv show he distinctly only worked with white peoples
Which show? The only ones I can think of would be equally damning of Michael Showalter and/or David Wain as well (or you know, everyone on the State), unless there was a story about Black continually shooting down their less white suggestions.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Michael Ian Black’s biggest sin is being friends with Meghan McCain.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

Which show? The only ones I can think of would be equally damning of Michael Showalter and/or David Wain as well (or you know, everyone on the State), unless there was a story about Black continually shooting down their less white suggestions.

Only thing in the last decade would be You're Whole, some short run adult swim thing.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Stella had Rashida Jones in it

EDIT: nevermind. She was only in the pilot.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Torquemada posted:

Little Britain ran from 03-06 and is totally unwatchable.

It always was. :colbert:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Tiggum posted:

I remember a friend sitting a bunch of us down to watch that for the first time, some years after it had been out. It was very uncomfortable, and once he picked up on the vibe, he quickly moved on to something else and never mentioned it again.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tiggum posted:

It getting voted best show in the UK at the same time Peep Show was airing is proof that there's something wrong with the British.

I honest to god expected to look up and find out LB had a BAFTA.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Speaking of Little Britain, can anyone explain what the hell the thinking behind Pompidou? I watched it for ten minutes and thought I was having a stroke.

Holy poo poo, trying to look up the title of this show brought me to gem of an understatement:

Wikipedia posted:

Inspired by Charlie Chaplin, Morph, Laurel and Hardy, Pingu, Buster Keaton, Jacques Tati, and Marty Feldman, Pompidou aimed to reinvent visual comedy for the twenty-first century, and create an international series for a global audience. It did not succeed in this task.

EDIT: Writing this did remind me of a way better reference in modern media to silent comedy: the opening shot of John Wick 2, when the camera pans from a screen showing the motorcycle chase from Sherlock Jr. to some unlucky rider getting killed by Wick. Me and a friend have a fun game of spotting Buster Keaton references in films, and it's always the choreographers and stunt professionals that pull through.

A Worrying Warlock has a new favorite as of 12:24 on Mar 2, 2023

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Torquemada posted:

I barely remember a single objectionable thing about The Fast Show, which ran from 94-97, but Little Britain ran from 03-06 and is totally unwatchable.

Having never seen it, what is it about Little Britain that's unwatchable? I'm only familiar with a few British shows, so I can't say I've seen anything uniquely bad, besides maybe BBC Sherlock.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Iirc literally every character and joke is firmly in the "punching down" style of humor first of all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

geeko55 posted:

Having never seen it, what is it about Little Britain that's unwatchable? I'm only familiar with a few British shows, so I can't say I've seen anything uniquely bad, besides maybe BBC Sherlock.

Homophobia and mocking the disabled is only the tip of the iceberg.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Was the Fast Show the first to repeat endless variations of the same thing to force catchphrases and memes out of it?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

bitterandtwisted posted:

Was the Fast Show the first to repeat endless variations of the same thing to force catchphrases and memes out of it?

Hmm, you could probably find a tablet from Sumeria that did this. Anyway, my original point and rebuttal appears to stand: The Fast Show is a 90's sketch show that aged remarkably well.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mr. Show seems fine from what little I’ve seen.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

bitterandtwisted posted:

For repetition is a mighty power in the domain of humor. If frequently used, nearly any precisely worded and unchanging formula will eventually compel laughter if it be gravely and earnestly repeated, at intervals, five or six times.

— Mark Twain, Autobiography, (ch. 28?)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

geeko55 posted:

It was extremely low-brow humour even at the time, with every sketch being a vehicle for recurring catchphrases and a ton of gross-out shock humour. Add on that a lot of the jokes are just "this character is racist" and "the disabled person is making it up for attention" and "gay people just being overdramatic" and the whole thing winds up being some very uninventive humour layered over just wanting to laugh at minorities.

One of its creators is now a successful children's author.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Torquemada posted:

Hmm, you could probably find a tablet from Sumeria that did this. Anyway, my original point and rebuttal appears to stand: The Fast Show is a 90's sketch show that aged remarkably well.

Some Sumerian c. 1900BC posted:

Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband's lap.

Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband's lap.

checks out.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

bitterandtwisted posted:

I first recognised that from Harry Enfield in the 80s, who had a bevy of classist (and ethnic) stereotypes who'd yell catchphrase snippets repeatedly. It all felt somewhat subversive and anti-establishment at the time but yeeesh.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Mr. Show seems fine from what little I’ve seen.

Not counting Jay Johnston or Dino, I can only think of semi frequent gay panic jokes.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Unlike Little Britain, the Fast Show could make a sketch about a disabled guy hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JD353rNvT4

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Asked and answered, thanks for confirming it's not something to consider seeking out in the slightest. I feel like the 2000's is a minefield for TV being mean spirited, racist, or fat phobic and it definitely seems like that might be true with any country's given TV shows around that time, not that any given decade is completely better or worse.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Few people outside the archeological community know that Ea-nasir was also an aspiring comedian.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

geeko55 posted:

Asked and answered, thanks for confirming it's not something to consider seeking out in the slightest. I feel like the 2000's is a minefield for TV being mean spirited, racist, or fat phobic and it definitely seems like that might be true with any country's given TV shows around that time, not that any given decade is completely better or worse.

There was a strong culture of punching down in the early 00s in the UK that led to the Tory's taking over and gutting the social safety net because the messaging was it was all cheats, chavs, the 'wrong' kind of white immigrants, and lower class scum living easy off the backs of hardworking British nationals.

I don't think Little Britain was the main source of it but it was wildly popular and highly visible for nearly a decade and clearly informed a lot of people's opinions on the subject of welfare, disability, and race/gender issues.

As a side note, it's not like the punching down culture is gone, it's just all the comedians who would've done it are now embarrassed to do it and pretend like it was just some crazy era that everyone has now moved on from.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I've always gotten a nasty, spiteful, bullying vibe off David Walliams. Nothing concrete, just a feeling.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Torquemada posted:

I nervously pulled up a compilation of The Fast Show's Ralph and Ted to see what horrors my memory may have suppressed and... yeah no it's honestly kind of sweet.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Pookah posted:

I've always gotten a nasty, spiteful, bullying vibe off David Walliams. Nothing concrete, just a feeling.

There's some very grim rumours going around about him these days in the UK comedy circuit from what I've heard.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm wary of judging people based on just a vibe or how they look. But Walliams always has this expression like - you know how Ricky Gervais always looks slightly desperate, like he's checking with those around him to see if they think he's funny, anxious to please? Walliams looks like he's searching for a victim. Sits back narrow-eyed and just *eyes* people. There's no joy in other comedians.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

Pookah posted:

Check out any of the "Big Fat Quiz of the..." that he's on and you'll find you're right. He's a vicious toff.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not counting Jay Johnston or Dino, I can only think of semi frequent gay panic jokes.

It represented an angry gay married couple better than anything since!

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

thebardyspoon posted:

There's some very grim rumours going around about him these days in the UK comedy circuit from what I've heard.

Go on...

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Oh some footage of him wrestling with young men on stage years ago as part of some "silly game" called "hide the sausage" on a stage show he was on years back resurfaced, it basically seems like peer pressured sexual harassment of audience members to me. When people were commenting on it as being quite weird there were some replies from people in the UK comedy scene to the effect of "yeah this doesn't surprise me" and some people alleging that he'd ask young people to come to his dressing room on the talent show he was on as the judge of, it felt like one of those whisper network things where people have basically quietly been warning people about him for awhile and then in ten-twenty years a bunch of allegations will come out when nobodies jobs rely on him anymore. To me at least. Basically feels like there's a couple more Jimmy Savilles in the offing in the UK.

Not confirmed obviously so don't want to be like "he definitely is a sex criminal" obviously, just what I've seen.

Either way, Little Britain hasn't aged badly, it was loving awful when it was on.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Enemabag Jones posted:

I wanna say I don't remember anything bad about The State except for Michael Ian Black.

I've been rewatching it and so far there hasn't been anything egregious. Even the Jew, the Italian and the Red-Head Gay is more about how dumb stereotypes are than anything else.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I watched the whole run of the State when it came out on DVD like 10 or 12 years ago. There are some bits I remember aging poorly by virtue of the skits mocking stuff that was on MTV at the time. This bit doesn't making any sense if you don't know that it is poking fun at MTV's ironically slur-filled anti racism spot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7f772LTyEo

Also, at the time MTV had a deal with record companies that they could include there songs in their shows. This deal did not extend to home releases, so there are sketches where the songs had to be replaced by something generic, which sometimes hurt the DVD*. I remember one bit where Slash was trying to kill a mouse, but the song wasn't from Guns N' Roses.

Porcupine Racetrack still loving slaps though.
https://vimeo.com/410325198

*Daria suffered the same fate too.

deoju has a new favorite as of 00:08 on Mar 3, 2023

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Monkey Torture was endlessly quoted among my friends and I in high school.

A work crush of mine recommended Little Britain when it was on and lmao that took care of that.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

I am surprised that no one has said 'there is literally blackface and/or yellowface in most episodes' in addition to all the other ways Little Britain is terrible.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Weldon Pemberton posted:

I am surprised that no one has said 'there is literally blackface and/or yellowface in most episodes' in addition to all the other ways Little Britain is terrible.

Oh gently caress that triggered the memory. "Ting Tong from Pong Pong" or some awful poo poo. Don't

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Weldon Pemberton posted:

the blackface is literally the only thing they apologize for, and only because it was what was referenced when streaming services pulled the show

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

It's at this moment I've just realized I've only seen the little Britain USA version which was a lot toned down apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

What about shows like Monkey Dust? I only know about that one because of the Pedofinder General clips making their rounds when #metoo was starting to kick off. I presume it (as a sketch series) had its own share of :yikes: content