Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

kingcobweb posted:

he didn't win mvp during the bubble season. he won mvp in 2021 and 2022. bubble season was 2020. what is up with sixers posters and Time

giannis won mickey mouse mvp and then lost to miami in the playoffs. i'm looking back at it and he shot almost 5 threes per game that season, hitting just over 30%, which means it was the best three point shooting season he ever had. in the playoffs he even got that percentage up to .325!

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Pohl posted:

also, can anyone tell me why the entire SA forum is pissed that cspam has a basketball thread? Is it because we aren't big enough dicks to each other all the time over nebulous poo poo and we don't have enough stats?
I want to talk about basketball, not parse bullshit information and whatever else they think we should be doing so they can gently caress off.

I'm glad it exists so I can still read your posts somewhere.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jokic deserves an mvp this year if you look at this year only and use traditional one year metrics

they voters have never done that tho. well until jokic

edit

they traditionally take into account how many a guy has won and how many in a row . see “Lebron fatigue”

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

jokic deserves an mvp this year if you look at this year only and use traditional one year metrics

edit

they traditionally take into account how many a guy has won and how many in a row . see “Lebron fatigue”

I think if analytics nerds were more common in the 2000s lebron would probably have like 7 mvps

the traditional metric used to be "best player on best team" but lebron only did that for cleveland twice and miami twice. if the writers were smart enough to give it to him instead of derrick rose (who had the best record that year) he would have won five in a row easily

somehow westbrook was the one who changed the calculus

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they would have come up with new “advanced” “analytics” to take the award away from Lebron

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they are more like narrative numbers than advanced analytics anyway.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Yossarian-22 posted:

I think if analytics nerds were more common in the 2000s lebron would probably have like 7 mvps

the traditional metric used to be "best player on best team" but lebron only did that for cleveland twice and miami twice. if the writers were smart enough to give it to him instead of derrick rose (who had the best record that year) he would have won five in a row easily

somehow westbrook was the one who changed the calculus

its because westbrick was the first one averaging a triple double in like 1,000 years. thats an advanced stat for you

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lebron = washed up bitch

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

he should def retire

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

he's gonna get bronny a few mil with an rookie scale contract he wouldn't otherwise get when some team uses a late 1st rounder to rent lebron for a season

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

euphronius posted:

edit

This is the frustrating thing. for three years now there have been shifting narratives and prerequisites for what metrics are most important.

Perk is a dummy, but it’s unreasonable to think that people don’t notice how the writer milieu seems so insanely flexible around Jokic. Borderline manufacturing consent levels of fluidity.

The most obvious example of this is how last year one of the most commonly referenced arguments against Embiid was that he had a much better supporting cast compared to Jokic. This is not true this year. Jokic has deadeye shooters, a better 2 and 3 option, and a better bench. But also nobody cares about that argument this year.

Writers are going to pick the guy they like the best, but until there’s a different MVP who also gets the same shifting winds treatment as Jokic has gotten each season, first with analytical mysticism, then with the “More with less” argument, and now with the best player best team poo poo, people are going to just assume it’s institutional bias propping him up.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Azathoth posted:

he's gonna get bronny a few mil with an rookie scale contract he wouldn't otherwise get when some team uses a late 1st rounder to rent lebron for a season

Injured-reserve Lebron watching Bronny play from the bench

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

loquacius posted:

Injured-reserve Lebron and healthy scratch Bronny watching play from the bench

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goddamn the nets suck rear end.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

kd kicks so much rear end

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

-______-

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it is pretty wild not watching basketball for a decade and having your team put up 115 a game and still get blown out by 30 points ona. Regular basis. Like a very slow time machine to a future of synthetic ultra ball machines.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

shout out kd the only basketball palyers whos shoes dont crush your feet

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the Bucks are scaring me lately tbh

like, they're still playing well even when Middleton isn't there, and even when Giannis isn't there

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

In Training posted:

goddamn the nets suck rear end.

i think the ex-mavs players they got are going to flush them out of the playoffs if they keep starting them. cam and bridges got thrown into the fire and they're as good as expected. widdie gave up because it turns out being a real PG is hard and DFS was a mirage and now he's completely cratered

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think it’s honestly Ben Simmons malaise cratering the team

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

lmao imagine taking the court with a guy who makes double, triple, 10x your salary but who you know is not only afraid to shoot the ball but yet is still a smug rear end in a top hat who clearly thinks he's better than you

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

loquacius posted:

the Bucks are scaring me lately tbh

like, they're still playing well even when Middleton isn't there, and even when Giannis isn't there

They're def. on the short list of title contenders, but they're a spent force after this season. Holliday's contract is up and the team is being sold to a new owner who inevitably will want to get under the tax threshold.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

a new study bible! posted:

This is the frustrating thing. for three years now there have been shifting narratives and prerequisites for what metrics are most important.

Perk is a dummy, but it’s unreasonable to think that people don’t notice how the writer milieu seems so insanely flexible around Jokic. Borderline manufacturing consent levels of fluidity.

The most obvious example of this is how last year one of the most commonly referenced arguments against Embiid was that he had a much better supporting cast compared to Jokic. This is not true this year. Jokic has deadeye shooters, a better 2 and 3 option, and a better bench. But also nobody cares about that argument this year.

Writers are going to pick the guy they like the best, but until there’s a different MVP who also gets the same shifting winds treatment as Jokic has gotten each season, first with analytical mysticism, then with the “More with less” argument, and now with the best player best team poo poo, people are going to just assume it’s institutional bias propping him up.

not bothering to understand stats doesn't mean that they're made up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Do you think thewriters understand them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I heard a mvp voter say last week that jokic is one of the best defensive players in the league becuase his defensive box plus minus is high

these are the kinds of people voting

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

Do you think thewriters understand them

some do. other writers are voting for jokic because his box score numbers are high.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

I heard a mvp voter say last week that jokic is one of the best defensive players in the league becuase his defensive box plus minus is high

these are the kinds of people voting

who?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Azathoth posted:

some recent analysis of bronny is much more bullish on him. compares him to a Marcus Smart type.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

like I said above tho he actually is a traditional candidate this year (with the caveat that jokic fatigue should have kicked in already )

especially if you treat him like a point guard (which he is)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

like I said above tho he actually is a traditional candidate this year (with the caveat that jokic fatigue should have kicked in already )

especially if you treat him like a point guard (which he is)

do you still think denver is winning due to pure luck?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they got some nba wings which has helped

they still need a center to be a finals contender

they are a nice regular season team or whatever

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

kingcobweb posted:

not bothering to understand stats doesn't mean that they're made up.

Why should we assume that advanced stats formed from applying relative variables to PRA counting stats or other observable phenomena reveal more than a human brain considering those same elements?

You can claim that someone doesn’t understand the stats, but you are just applying a different formula to the same poo poo and calling it superior because….

Anyway, advanced stats was just the first year of the Jokic campaign. Regardless of what they say, Jokic has been the beneficiary of the most flexible standards of what constitutes an MVP probably ever. Maybe that’s a consequence of going back to back to back. Maybe it’s inevitable. But it’s also true.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah nothing has mattered for jokic. Team performance ? Irrelevant. Playoff performance ? Totally irrelevant. Traditional statistic achievements ? (Lead the league in scoring)? Totally ignored . Won it before ? Ignored. And so on and so on

They basically just define the award as Jokic now

euphronius fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 2, 2023

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Even Euph has said that the Jokic case is pretty undeniable this season. I don’t think anyone is saying he shouldn’t be the favorite this year.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Becuase Denver is (finally) a 1 seed and he’s the best player on the team (arguably)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

a new study bible! posted:

Even Euph has said that the Jokic case is pretty undeniable this season. I don’t think anyone is saying he shouldn’t be the favorite this year.

hmm no it should be embiid.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

my personal theory is that it’s the crypto-ification of the MVP award. It’s been successfully integrated into the blockchain.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

embiid is having a nice year. I would not vote for a guy on a 3 seed tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

kingcobweb posted:

hmm no it should be embiid.

I think it should have been Embiid the season that he led the league in scoring, was a top three defensive player, and led his team to a top seed while his costar sat for a year and tried to tank the team, but only some of those elements can be reflected algebraically, so I understand why a certain type of person might want to invalidate them.