Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Mind_Taker posted:

Just catching up on last night’s trades and Jesus Christ what are the Penguins and Canucks doing

Instead of improving his team for this season Ron Hextall is downgrading and filling a 'need' for next year and then hoping his coach just figures out how to make the bottom 6 not get caved in/score. It should be noted the bottom 6 has been a disaster all year and the playoffs multiple years running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1631296407528153089?s=20

Yo, gently caress this.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/Steve_Dangle/status/1631297452232912897?t=FCYR8zt-Cc_CmSuGnHMubg&s=19

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
There are still a couple teams in the wildcard which haven’t done much yet which could or should do something like Buffalo or Seattle. More chaos trades please!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1631301232026349568

meh return, but fair given the circumstances -- very happy to get a late 1st from a UFA that the Wings weren't going to be able to re-sign that's had a mess of a season.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's not like I wanted Bertuzzi but for christ's sake Hextall, Boston's core is basically as old as the penguins' and you can't be bothered to do better than Granlund?

You fucker

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's not like I wanted Bertuzzi but for christ's sake Hextall, Boston's core is basically as old as the penguins' and you can't be bothered to do better than Granlund?

You fucker

You're going to get a Max Domi AND YOU'RE GOING TO LIKE IT GOD DAMMIT!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Still hate the Granlund trade. I even would have taken JT Miller and his stupid face and stupid contract over that deal

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
A day later I am still baffled by the Blueger trade. I do not understand what hole he is supposed to fill, and a third is not nothing particularly when Pittsburgh were cap dumping

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Blueger is a competent and versatile bottom six forward. Doesn't do much creating or finishing but he can drive play and has a clue in his own end. Good depth pickup for a playoff team. The Penguins were making him look worse than he is because he's been playing on lines where none of the three players can create and or finish and often also with the indescribably play-dragging corpse of Brian Dumoulin, and also were taking a lot of D starts.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I really don't like Bertuzzi that much as a guy, with all the ant-vax poo poo, and I don't know where he fits in when everyone is healthy, but he's a decent player. He's older than I thought too, for some reason I thought he was like 25 but he's 28. He's on a cheap deal (less than 2.5M somehow) and only signed for another year, so I guess it's a decent playoff rental. They really want to win the cup this year.

E: Detroit fans seem to really like him from what I've been reading online. So maybe I will come around on him.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

tarbrush posted:

A day later I am still baffled by the Blueger trade. I do not understand what hole he is supposed to fill, and a third is not nothing particularly when Pittsburgh were cap dumping

like Eric said, and also he was a huge part of the Penguins PK so if the Knights are trying to give Karlsson easier assignments they should be able to free him up to focus on the offensive duties

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I do wonder where Bertuzzi slots in immediately, I thought Debrusk was doing pretty well in the top 6 and at some point I imagine Taylor Hall comes back.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I really don't like Bertuzzi that much as a guy, with all the ant-vax poo poo, and I don't know where he fits in when everyone is healthy, but he's a decent player. He's older than I thought too, for some reason I thought he was like 25 but he's 28. He's on a cheap deal (less than 2.5M somehow) and only signed for another year, so I guess it's a decent playoff rental. They really want to win the cup this year.

E: Detroit fans seem to really like him from what I've been reading online. So maybe I will come around on him.

Detroit’s retaining 50%, his full cap hit is $4.75M, and he’s a UFA at the end of this season

I was reading that performance bonuses could lead Boston to have a pretty sizeable cap penalty next year so yeah, they’re really committed to winning this season cause it’s gonna be tough later

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Koopa Kid posted:

I do wonder where Bertuzzi slots in immediately, I thought Debrusk was doing pretty well in the top 6 and at some point I imagine Taylor Hall comes back.

Their forward lines generally look like this when everyone is healthy:
Marchand-Bergeron-Debrusk
Zacha-Krejci-Pastrnak
Hall-Coyle-Frederic
Foligno-Nosek-Hathaway

The first line is pretty much set. Occasionally they put Pasta up there when they really need to pour it on, but Bergeron and Marchand + Debrusk has been really solid. Second line is mostly set. Krejci and Pastrnak are a set pair, Zacha is their most common third wheel but occasionally Hall gets reps. I could see Bertuzzi getting a shot here but I don't think it's a long term fit unless they have insane chemistry. With Hall and Foligno out, I think Bertuzzi will probably start on Coyle's line. When Hall/Foligno are healthy, I think Frederic gets bumped down and they probably run Hall, Coyle, and Bertuzzi on the same line, with one of them playing their off wing.

Hall-Coyle-Bertuzzi would be pretty ridiculous as a third line. You have a good two-way center, a former 30 goal scorer, and a former league MVP playing on your third line.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

In the meantime, Bertuzzi and Frederic on the same line will probably be one of the biggest pair of shitheads in the league, and if they click that's the sort of thing you'd one to bring back come the playoffs

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1631311711897542662?s=20

Seems fine for Pasta. He's really god damned good

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

11.25 is actually significantly less than I was expecting him to get. Amazing news though. I love Pasta.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

like Eric said, and also he was a huge part of the Penguins PK so if the Knights are trying to give Karlsson easier assignments they should be able to free him up to focus on the offensive duties

The Pens just blithely discarded Blueger to replace him with Granlund, meanwhile Dumoulin will continue playing 20+ a night, and I won't at all be surprised if their PK is bottom 5 in the league the rest of the way. In fact I'll be pretty surprised if it isn't.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Life is good

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the meantime, Bertuzzi and Frederic on the same line will probably be one of the biggest pair of shitheads in the league, and if they click that's the sort of thing you'd one to bring back come the playoffs

They can put Hathaway too!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1631301232026349568

meh return, but fair given the circumstances -- very happy to get a late 1st from a UFA that the Wings weren't going to be able to re-sign that's had a mess of a season.

I'm getting tired of all these cowards and their protected 1sts- too much having their cake and eating it. We need to spice up trading them.

Maybe the first three that get moved get conditions and everyone else has to give the offered pick?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

And yeah, I've defended Burxstall insofar as the Pens' window is firmly closed now and it's stupid to trade draft picks for veterans now. But like everyone else I cannot comprehend the point of acquiring Mikael Granlund at all. He does absolutely nothing the Penguins need.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Bertuzzi is an idiot but he's pretty good. Interesting that Boston made several huge deals after a lot of people said they were good enough to stand pat and still be fine.

They've been carried by Ullmark to an even more incredible degree lately, so I think they're absolutely correct to make these moves and insulate themselves as best they can if he isn't Dominik Hasek in the playoffs.

Or rather, if he's 1995 Dominik Hasek in the playoffs.

Wonder if that helps set what Meier/Bratt will be looking for.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 2, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

And yeah, I've defended Burxstall insofar as the Pens' window is firmly closed now and it's stupid to trade draft picks for veterans now. But like everyone else I cannot comprehend the point of acquiring Mikael Granlund at all. He does absolutely nothing the Penguins need.

Just can't be arsed to give a gently caress about a mid round first right now. Hextall is gonna hang his hat on keeping that and he's gonna draft Sam Poulin or Owen Pickering 2.0

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nah, he won't. Someone else might, but Hextall will be fired this spring. My biggest fear though is that Hextall gets fired and Burke doesn't.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Just can't be arsed to give a gently caress about a mid round first right now. Hextall is gonna hang his hat on keeping that and he's gonna draft Sam Poulin or Owen Pickering 2.0

Think about how steady Owen Pickering might be as a defender in 6 years though
just kinda standing there, being very big, crosschecking people near the net

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'm guessing Foligno or Hall is LTIR which is why they made the Bertuzzi move

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The devils aren’t getting Bratt or Meier for 8AAV.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Tim Whatley posted:

I'm guessing Foligno or Hall is LTIR which is why they made the Bertuzzi move

My guess is Hall

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Think about how steady Owen Pickering might be as a defender in 6 years though
just kinda standing there, being very big, crosschecking people near the net

Extremely ready for it

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mcmagic posted:

Well neither of them have even close to the track record of production that Pastrnak has. I'm expecting around 9m when it's all said and done though.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Eh, they might. Pastrnak is the #5 goalscorer in the league since he entered it, Meier and Bratt are not anywhere near that category for points or goals so they don't really have the argument to be in that paygrade.
9 max.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

mcmagic posted:

My honest guesses are $8.5m for Bratt and $9.25m for Meier

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
McGinn and Blueger are both fine defense first NHL players in the right situation. That situation unfortunately isn't a bottom six with Jeff Carter and Kasperi Kapanen.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

McGinn is not as good as Blueger

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think people know you can't really use Bruins contracts as a comparison point because they've brainwashed all their players into being communists who do what's best for the team. They still get paid, obviously, but they are absolutely giving the team a bit of a discount. Bergeron and Krejci came back for $1m. For years no one would take a salary higher than Bergeron. McAvoy signed for under $10M, etc.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah if Pastrnak decided to hit the open market and get every last dollar he could, even with the rampant collusion in the NHL, he'd get $13M/year easy

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

God drat, Sweeney is going balls deep this season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think people know you can't really use Bruins contracts as a comparison point because they've brainwashed all their players into being communists who do what's best for the team. They still get paid, obviously, but they are absolutely giving the team a bit of a discount. Bergeron and Krejci came back for $1m. For years no one would take a salary higher than Bergeron. McAvoy signed for under $10M, etc.

This is the kind of culture Fitzgerald is actively trying to build, so we will see if it works. Meier on the open market would possibly get $10m. Bratt would probably get $9m.