Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

rotinaj posted:

I think it’s kind of a bummer that wwe will hire a japanese woman from japan and not like pay for her to have an english tutor

But then again i also think the wwe should have their wrestlers working with acting coaches, clown college slapstick instructors, speech coaches, and better doctors and physiotherapists than whoever is turning knee joints to dust at the performance center

I think the kicker here is that Asuka is absolutely studying English. I know during an episode of Kanachan TV, she talked about how she takes time every day to learn English. But she is always going to have an accent or not speak it 100% fluently.

As for the tutors and stuff, KAIRI, Io, and Sarray have all mentioned that WWE did have them attend English courses while in the PC. So the complaint about Asuka not learning English comes across more like racism than actual legitimate criticism. And a lot of these people aren't just Cornette fans either. They also seem to like to parrot points from Konnan, Bully Ray, and Vince Russo, all of whom are massive pieces of poo poo just like Cornette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

DarkstarIV posted:

But she is always going to have an accent or not speak it 100% fluently.

Hell, she’s from Osaka. She has a thick accent in Japanese let alone English. From what I’ve seen in clips, her English is absolutely fine

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I do not think Alfred knows what the Mass Transit incident was.

https://twitter.com/ThisIsNasty/status/1630982947410169857

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like him equating balcony dives and the tampon spot, definitely a fair comparison, definitely not him reaching for more content

If he’s on the side of the wrestling dog, maybe alfred is also a big fan of yoshihiko

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Interesting that that was the Gigi Dolin spot he picked and not the one where she got her head kicked in on NXT because Shawn Michaels hung a door wrong. The bologna must've been extra good this month.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hoss Corncave posted:

Look at this mark thinking wrestlers and their on screen relationships and histories makes for better storylines. All you need to know is if they're currently faces or heels.

Seriously though, it is incredibly lazy when two people who were mortal enemies for years suddenly become friends regardless of what horrible things they may have inflicted on each other in the past solely because they're both the same alignment now.

how many weeks was it after the 'i wish you died in the womb' Bella promo that they ended up just tagging together again as if their feud never happened? I remember being really struck by it at the time, I don't even think it was three weeks later

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
It's kind of crazy to compare anything in that video to the Mass Transit incident. New Jack was legitimately trying to injure Mass Transit, and years later he tried to kill Vic Grimes. None of these spots look like someone is legitimately trying to hurt the other person, but with how many small wrestling feds there are all over the place, something somewhere is bound to go wrong. Some people are just going to be poorly trained or poor wrestlers in general.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Hell, she’s from Osaka. She has a thick accent in Japanese let alone English. From what I’ve seen in clips, her English is absolutely fine

Yeah I don't really watch WWE but on her YouTube and the clips I've seen she's good enough at communicating. These people are just being racist assholes.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

MassRafTer posted:

I do not think Alfred knows what the Mass Transit incident was.

https://twitter.com/ThisIsNasty/status/1630982947410169857

I like that he used a clip from XPW.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

flatluigi posted:

how many weeks was it after the 'i wish you died in the womb' Bella promo that they ended up just tagging together again as if their feud never happened? I remember being really struck by it at the time, I don't even think it was three weeks later

I may not be remembering this completely correctly, but I think the timeline was something like this:

Brie and Steph are in a feud due to their links with Bryan vs the Authority
Steph beats Brie at a PPV after Nikki returns and turns on Brie (Steph escapes any kind of comeuppance)
Brie and Nikki feud for the next month with multiple terrible segments leading to a match where the loser has to do the winner's bidding for 30 days
Nikki beats Brie at the PPV forcing her into servitude for the next month
Brie reluctantly helps Nikki get a title shot at the next PPV
Nikki wins the title after Brie willingly helps her and they're best friends again with no explanation given

About two months and even then there was no real reason behind Brie siding with Nikki considering all the things that had happened or been said.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
oh no no no it wasn't just one poster in the post-show thread

https://twitter.com/TheComebackSpot/status/1631107155578200064
https://twitter.com/JESnowden/status/1631107302458634240
https://twitter.com/PW_Outsider/status/1631109108186116097
https://twitter.com/ThatsSoDebonair/status/1631107497053257728
https://twitter.com/tedgruber/status/1631107074582093826
https://twitter.com/superwhomom/status/1631106982483578881
https://twitter.com/EttenGregory/status/1631134844666216448
https://twitter.com/DirtSheetRadio/status/1631107349984190465
https://twitter.com/TheRajGiri/status/1631154181758423040
https://twitter.com/wolverinethad/status/1631107223710576640
https://twitter.com/TomFool69/status/1631107365675102209

etc, etc, etc,

so so many people with the same opinions as Snowden and Raj Giri

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 2, 2023

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
"refs holding the ladder" is gonna be the new "nobody in AEW wants advice from old guys" discourse

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Refs hold the ladders all the loving time lol. People are really showing how little attention they pay to things

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the only difference is that the ladder that they needed to use for the end of the match broke so they had multiple people holding it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/GingerBomb25/status/1631286207698141185

Had to check his feed to make sure this was not a joke.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Snitch tagging Draft Kings that wrestling is fake.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Four refs holding the ladder was pretty distracting. I do sorta wish Hobbs would have either gotten another ladder or not completely nuked one he knew he was gonna have to climb a few seconds later.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MJeff posted:

Four refs holding the ladder was pretty distracting. I do sorta wish Hobbs would have either gotten another ladder or not completely nuked one he knew he was gonna have to climb a few seconds later.

I too wish Hobbs were less powerful.

https://twitter.com/RefSuperDavePWD/status/1630880466822742017

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

laddergate is going to rip the wrestling community apart!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 minutes!
Hobbs was so powerful it took 4 refs to keep the ladder from disintegrating.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Laddergate (and the whole I SAW THEM PASS THE BLADE/GIG) both feel like a variation on the "I noticed an imperfect VFX/ADR in a movie, therefore it's awful" and in both cases it usually takes priority over "was this performance/story enjoyable", which is why referees holding ladders or seeing someone gig or noticing that the wrestler taking a suplex cooperating are graver sins than bad acting or illogical stories or just a boring match.

It also has a real "as a true insider I notice these things" vibe

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

If the ladder had broken or Hobbs had fallen off you'd hear endless "AEW IS UNSAFE!" takes from the exact same people.

I've been to enough indy wrestling shows where ladders slipped around and dudes faceplanted on concrete floors that I welcome referees actually holding those things. I've also climbed up a ladder enough myself to know I wouldn't want it wobbling around under me as I tried to unbuckle a carbiner.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Them holding the ladder looked cool imo. Wild seeing one of the few things I actually liked about that show being the most controversial part of the company this year so far (it'll only stay that way until the show Sunday where something will absolutely top it in that department, but still)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Edge & Christian posted:

Laddergate (and the whole I SAW THEM PASS THE BLADE/GIG) both feel like a variation on the "I noticed an imperfect VFX/ADR in a movie, therefore it's awful" and in both cases it usually takes priority over "was this performance/story enjoyable", which is why referees holding ladders or seeing someone gig or noticing that the wrestler taking a suplex cooperating are graver sins than bad acting or illogical stories or just a boring match.

It also has a real "as a true insider I notice these things" vibe

Bad VFX and ADR are super distracting and pull you out of the story and characters. They hurt suspension of disbelief by making you more aware of the fakeness of the thing you're watching.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
how is people holding a ladder so someone can safely climb it or jump off it fake

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Some people aren't OSHA certified

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

MJeff posted:

Bad VFX and ADR are super distracting and pull you out of the story and characters. They hurt suspension of disbelief by making you more aware of the fakeness of the thing you're watching.
I probably picked too wide of a topic, I'm talking less about endlessly bad VFX and ADR and like... "I can tell this line was added from when Don Draper's back is turned, also you could tell if you pause that there was definitely a greenscreen when they were in the taxi" level of bad, which if that super distracts you and pulls you out of the story then sure, show is ruined.

I guess within the spectrum of "bad VFX and ADR" in wrestling there is thigh slapping and being able to see on a replay that someone handed someone a blade, and then there is also "bad VFX and ADR" like people selling for Top Dolla's dive or people pausing and trying to remember what their next spot is.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

So I read the thread before watching the match and people are really overblowing it. I thought it would look dumb and I was all prepared and then what happened is that Hobbs broke the ladder, looked around while setting it up, and then gestured at the refs to come hold it. It's not even immersion breaking to have the huge scary dude who threatens people to get his win using threats.

I was so ready for it to look awful and awkward

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

how is people holding a ladder so someone can safely climb it or jump off it fake

I'm not comparing the Hobbs thing to bad VFX, one was just a little distracting while the other can hurt the experience in a pretty tangible way. But I mean, for the sake of argument? It gives away what the finish is because no wrestler is gonna come in and tip over a ladder with four people holding it up.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The only guy not climbing the ladder like the gravity was turned up also really tips the hand

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gumball Gumption posted:

So I read the thread before watching the match and people are really overblowing it. I thought it would look dumb and I was all prepared and then what happened is that Hobbs broke the ladder, looked around while setting it up, and then gestured at the refs to come hold it. It's not even immersion breaking to have the huge scary dude who threatens people to get his win using threats.

If Hobbs had grabbed Bryce and said HOLD THE LADDER YOU gently caress it would've been the spot of the year.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hobbs should have just grabbed another ladder tbh

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rarity posted:

Hobbs should have just grabbed another ladder tbh

Unless they were dangerously close to missing a time queue or already over or something, yeah.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It woulda taken like 30 seconds

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They would have held that one too since he had to get onto the very top to reach the ring

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I think this type of nitpicking is why I hate stuff like cinema sins. It's a slippery slope to go from that's not the best it could have been to this is awful look how terrible this is.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Gumball Gumption posted:

It wasn't the worst thing in the world. It just looked stupid as poo poo. The response to the criticism of it looking dumb being a full throttle defensive scream of "LADDERS ARE ALWAYS HELD YOU STUPID DUMB BABY!!! DO YOU WANT THE WRESTLERS TO DIE?? STOP POSTING HERE!" instead of just a "lol yeah" is what made it such an issue, at least around these parts.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1glitch0 posted:

It wasn't the worst thing in the world. It just looked stupid as poo poo. The response to the criticism of it looking dumb being a full throttle defensive scream of "LADDERS ARE ALWAYS HELD YOU STUPID DUMB BABY!!! DO YOU WANT THE WRESTLERS TO DIE?? STOP POSTING HERE!" instead of just a "lol yeah" is what made it such an issue, at least around these parts.

I thought it looked cool as poo poo to see Hobbs standing on top of that ladder.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

so the response being a disagreement by some instead of a universal yeah you're right is what you have an issue with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

lol yeah sure ok