Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Really loving glad we nickel and dimed franchise legend Evgeni Malkin so that we could eventually bring in Mikael Granlund to make one million dollars less than him in cap and put out on ice impacts worse than Jeff Carter.

I hope Granlund proves me wrong but I don't think he will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
McAvoy is good but 9.5 isn't an incredible discount, nor is this Pastrnak signing. It's maybe 1-2m at most under what they would have gotten in the open market.

Bergeron and Krejci, well yeah of course no one is using veterans wanting to win a Cup with a team they've been with their entire career as a comp in a negotiation, but the Devils can absolutely point at this and say hey, if you take 1-2m under your open market value you get to play for a likely Cup contender for the next 8-10 years.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

Really loving glad we nickel and dimed franchise legend Evgeni Malkin so that we could eventually bring in Mikael Granlund to make one million dollars less than him in cap and put out on ice impacts worse than Jeff Carter.

I hope Granlund proves me wrong but I don't think he will

Even if Granlund ends up playing better than I expect him to, it still won't make the Pens a better team. That's what gets me.

Ultimately though none if it matters if they're not willing to get rid of Dumoulin. They cannot be a good team with him in the lineup.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Thanks, I hate all of this Bruins news.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm going to console myself for the impending Bruins bitchslap of the playoff field by remembering it'll win Nick Foligno a Cup and he is good people and deserves to hoist Lord Stanley.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Bruins winning the Cup is only a foregone conclusion if Linus Ullmark continues to be vintage Dominik Hasek all the way through late June. (He won't.)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm a lot higher on the Bruins after these moves than I was before, good for them for not buying into their own bullshit and realizing they needed to get better. Still think they're in it real tough in rounds 2 and 3, but so is everyone else in the East.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

T-Bone posted:

McAvoy is good but 9.5 isn't an incredible discount, nor is this Pastrnak signing. It's maybe 1-2m at most under what they would have gotten in the open market.

Bergeron and Krejci, well yeah of course no one is using veterans wanting to win a Cup with a team they've been with their entire career as a comp in a negotiation, but the Devils can absolutely point at this and say hey, if you take 1-2m under your open market value you get to play for a likely Cup contender for the next 8-10 years.

McAvoy could have gotten a lot more. Dom did his annual "best contracts in the NHL" list this summer and McAvoy has the second best contract (in terms of value to the team vs what he's actually being paid) behind Makar.

quote:

Do not sleep on Charlie McAvoy, who may be the ying to Makar’s yang. He is the league’s premier shutdown defender, one of the best defensive defensemen on the planet who last year showed off his offensive flair. He is the complete package. Remember Erik Karlsson versus Drew Doughty from the last generation? This is that, only supercharged. In terms of value, Makar and McAvoy are reaching heights those two previously never reached. As previously noted, Makar was the first defender in the model’s history to earn a projected value north of four wins. McAvoy is the second.

It’s only natural then that the next two stars of this generation on defence land first and second on this list, both after securing long-term extensions last summer. There was a bit of sticker shock when McAvoy initially signed his deal, but given what he had shown to date, there was a lot of upside to a price under $10 million. At $9.5 million the expectation was 2.1 wins per season, a mark McAvoy had easily eclipsed in his previous two seasons. In 2021-22, he took that a step further thanks to incredible two-way impacts at five-on-five. Last season McAvoy had a 63 percent expected goals rate, the third-highest mark ever in the analytics era. Add a 59-point pace to that and you get a defender with very few flaws to his game. That’s well worth the price of admission.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

T-Bone posted:

They've been carried by Ullmark to an even more incredible degree lately, so I think they're absolutely correct to make these moves and insulate themselves as best they can if he isn't Dominik Hasek in the playoffs.

Not really--even if you just take the month of February, Ullmark started six games (6-0) and Swayman started four (3-1), and they averaged 4 goals/game over those ten games. Yeah he stood on his head in Calgary and he's probably going to win the Vezina but this isn't a Lundqvist situation; it's a team effort.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Non Bruins fan chiming in to say that if McAvoy hasn't peaked as a player yet, and I doubt he has, that deal is real good unless he gets hot brains or something....which is a risk with most players

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Dom's contract values mean absolutely nothing when it comes to what a team would actually pay on the open market. Adam Fox got 9.5 too. Dougie made 9 on the open market. Maybe McAvoy gets 11 from a really desperate team at most which is right in line with the 1-2m discount that I cited and likely the same discount the Devils will try to sell Meier/Bratt on.

Ace Jameson posted:

Not really--even if you just take the month of February, Ullmark started six games (6-0) and Swayman started four (3-1), and they averaged 4 goals/game over those ten games. Yeah he stood on his head in Calgary and he's probably going to win the Vezina but this isn't a Lundqvist situation; it's a team effort.

Oh they're a very good team, they're just not better than Carolina/Toronto/New Jersey/Rangers/perhaps even Tampa if they don't get Hart Trophy level goaltending. Likely close to 50/50 series vs those teams if the goaltending is a wash.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 2, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Remember when Detroit won 62 games as well as the Stanley Cup? I could swear that's how their season ended

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Bruins winning the Cup is only a foregone conclusion if Linus Ullmark continues to be vintage Dominik Hasek all the way through late June. (He won't.)

Yeah he’d have to decline to be that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How many goals does Hasek have?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Boston also has Swayman as a backup, and he's better than like half of the league's starters.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

cups hand to ear to hear CAS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znh8kT455Yc

turns on radio, listens to international CAS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYFmrs_KZYI

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I mean being a flames fan in general has sucked rear end for 30 years, but thank the good lord in heaven I was raised to hate the Canucks. LOL all over.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Colorado did win a Cup with a .902 from Kuemper last year, then again Western Conference, etc.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

McDavid taking 12.5 has really limited what players get for UFA contracts. Pastrnak should have got closer to 15.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Taylor Hall pushed from DTD to LTIR for 6mil in space.
Let's see if he's magically ready for the playoffs.

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1631319390103777280

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tage Thompson has the same number of points as Pasta, but is signed for $5m less per year. Tage contract continues to be the best.

Sabres fans on Twitter are melting down because Kevyn Adams hasn’t sold the farm for a guy who might help them sneak into the playoffs, even though there’s zero chance they win a round. Also the trade deadline is over a day away, gonna laugh so hard if he makes some blockbuster trade and they all have to eat poo poo.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Tage Thompson has the same number of points as Pasta, but is signed for $5m less per year. Tage contract continues to be the best.

Sabres fans on Twitter are melting down because Kevyn Adams hasn’t sold the farm for a guy who might help them sneak into the playoffs, even though there’s zero chance they win a round. Also the trade deadline is over a day away, gonna laugh so hard if he makes some blockbuster trade and they all have to eat poo poo.

I agree. Sabres fans are the worst.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Sabres should get Karlsson imo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fawning deference posted:

My honest guesses are $8.5m for Bratt and $9.25m for Meier

If they get this done, Fitz is a wizard. It's crazy how underpaid hockey players are lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Sabres should get Karlsson imo

Selling the farm for a guy who’s one injury away from blowing up his ankle, brilliant! Get on the phone, Kevyn!!!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Doesn't Buffalo need defense and goaltending? Outside of Karlsson dream move there's not a whole lot out there for that.

Hronek would have been a reasonable move for them, but not sure they could have beat Vancouver's offer comfortably, or that Detroit would have traded him in division.

I'd say like Garland or Boeser could be an interesting pickup for a young team that's still growing and has cap space, but they're so loaded on wing as it is.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TaylorHaasePGH/status/1631332669354024960?s=20

Putting two players with some of the worst on ice impacts in the NHL on the same line sure is a choice Sully

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Selling the farm for a guy who’s one injury away from blowing up his ankle, brilliant! Get on the phone, Kevyn!!!

Its fun to have the best players in the world on your team

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1631328736531423244

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/FlyersNation/status/1631147741014376449

this is some Ari Aster level horror poo poo

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Putting two players with some of the worst on ice impacts in the NHL on the same line sure is a choice Sully

That's a shutdown third line if I ever did see it

as in, when I see it my brain shuts down and I only see darkness

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Totally fine!!! Nothing to see here baby!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

This is like the end of Return of the Jedi where Luke is carrying Vader to the shuttle. You don't like seeing that. You want the real villain Philadelphia Flyers, not the desiccated corpse of a once proud franchise.

like gently caress da Flyers but also I don't like seeing them like this. League is more fun when they're good and flailing to get over the final hump and get that cup

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Flyers trying to save Philly by making sure they have at least one team that can't lose a championship game (because they won't be in one)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

T-Bone posted:

Doesn't Buffalo need defense and goaltending? Outside of Karlsson dream move there's not a whole lot out there for that.

Hronek would have been a reasonable move for them, but not sure they could have beat Vancouver's offer comfortably, or that Detroit would have traded him in division.

I'd say like Garland or Boeser could be an interesting pickup for a young team that's still growing and has cap space, but they're so loaded on wing as it is.

They do need to get a goaltender, UPL has been decent but Comrie has been bad and Anderson is done after this season.

As for defense, they just got Riley Stillman who is likely an upgrade over Jacob Bryson but probably not enough to have a huge impact. If they got another RHD to replace Jokiharju that would be cool but otherwise idk what else they could do.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Totally fine!!! Nothing to see here baby!

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1631073048659935234

needing the dead Voracek contract to hit the floor and not getting maximum return on your best asset for cash reasons is completely reasonable

Has Bedard ever been point blank asked if he would sign if drafted by the Coyotes? He seems like he has a little more personality/brains than McDavid.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I think with the gauntlet the East is, Buffalo probably shouldn't be too aggressive and focus more on keeping their young core together and making smaller depth moves to see if they can sneak in to a WC spot.

I don't know who else is available on the D/G front.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

Swap Rust and Granlund it's less of a disaster, but still a disaster. Top notch work all around.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
going from a proud tradition of

to that, just completely unacceptable