Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lib and let die posted:

i don't plan on arguing with discord guys about it

i have c-spam arguments to have, i'm only one shitposter

e: seriously, i learned my lessons about Streamer Opinions after ENB assured the world that Dark Souls 2 was gonna be great, and it turned out to be poo poo.

Until Elden Ring, it was the best souls game hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah it owns, its making reddit super mad

Lots of people itt enjoying Bungie firebombing it’s own game because one of the side effects is that streamers and redditors get mad??? And people are accusing me of not actually liking destiny????

We cycled through 69 different numbers to display by guardians and the only one that ever conveyed any arguably useful information at all was season pass ranks. So they spent a bunch of time and effort to collapse it into the same thing but with a number with less range, after hyping it up as something else. Brilliant stuff.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They should just make the number whatever you pick your emblem card to have. Let me brag about how many times I’ve done some stupid poo poo like pet the dog.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

its making reddit super mad

and people are saying this expansion is bad

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
So apparently it's very difficult and rare to get those exotic decryption keys and I spent my 30th anniversary keys on kind of bad uniques, except that amazing grenade launcher that leaves degen on the ground.

Now it seems like I need to run 21 strikes in the vanguard playlist and maybe do a raid to get another one? You can't even buy those fragments with real money which surprised me. I want that void bow with the poison, but it seems like that is a long way off for me now.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Lib and let die posted:

i haven't finished the new campaign yet, but i'm enjoying it.

this could be my cynical/contrarian nature but i refuse to take anything that youtube streamers have to say about the quality of the game as any sort of meaningful bellwether. streamerbrain means their evaluation of a game is always going to be biased by (if not entirely rooted in) "how are these changes going to impact muh channel?"

i'm having fun with the space shooty mans game, even if Nimbus is the cringiest character that's not an SCP self-insert character.

That's a fair take on streamers but what makes the byf thing so noteworthy is hes that tier of streamer that gets courted by bungie specifically to produce content that gets the community engaged. Hes a cog in the wheel. He has every reason to just suck it up and do his best to lore vid through this one and move on to the seasonal content. It's a bigger deal than people give it credit for even if it's still just dumb streamer drama.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
What is the easiest way to get one of the machine guns I see being sold by vendors. It looks like I need some special vendor engram to buy them.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Hamelekim posted:

So apparently it's very difficult and rare to get those exotic decryption keys and I spent my 30th anniversary keys on kind of bad uniques, except that amazing grenade launcher that leaves degen on the ground.

Now it seems like I need to run 21 strikes in the vanguard playlist and maybe do a raid to get another one? You can't even buy those fragments with real money which surprised me. I want that void bow with the poison, but it seems like that is a long way off for me now.

exotic ciphers? unless they changed things this expansion you just gotta grab the quest from xur and do some playlist activities. There's also one on the season track.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Astrochicken posted:

That's a fair take on streamers but what makes the byf thing so noteworthy is hes that tier of streamer that gets courted by bungie specifically to produce content that gets the community engaged. Hes a cog in the wheel. He has every reason to just suck it up and do his best to lore vid through this one and move on to the seasonal content. It's a bigger deal than people give it credit for even if it's still just dumb streamer drama.

And also all he does is talk about lore lol, he doesn’t even get into gameplay mechanics or pvp or whatever.

his schtick is to take the in game stuff and the hash of “sort of” in game stuff like the lore books and give a middle-school level analysis of what’s going on. Bungie, to its credit, had gotten pretty good at having the surface level stuff in-game be sufficient while leaving lots of hooks for the lore books to get really interesting. So someone doing the byf schtick and talking about everything in slightly more detail than what’s shown in the game itself is pretty useful to everyone.

When byf is saying “the in-game stuff is not even coherent, I can’t even do what I normally do, this is ridiculous”, that’s a huge problem.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Hamelekim posted:

What is the easiest way to get one of the machine guns I see being sold by vendors. It looks like I need some special vendor engram to buy them.

Each vendor has its own engram now. Which vendor?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Oh my god lol the guardian rank thing resets every season

Hahahaha hahahah

lmfao wtf

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
I don't know why people are happy that Bungie is doing less than the bare minimum and asking 70 dollars for it

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

i don't plan on arguing with discord guys about it

i have c-spam arguments to have, i'm only one shitposter

e: seriously, i learned my lessons about Streamer Opinions after ENB assured the world that Dark Souls 2 was gonna be great, and it turned out to be poo poo.

It is great

Being contrarian like that for it’s own sake is pretty stupid hth, and you’re going to end up digging in like all the pc discord guys who are now having to ignore or justify some pretty silly stuff (see some of the earlier posts on the page re basic story errors, bugs, etc).

This expansion is straight up disrespectful lol, we all got played hard

Getting Shadowkeep vibes. I feel like thats how I felt with that expansion lol

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'll be happy to discuss why you're all wrong, and go over the various demerits of dark souls 2 in a thread that's not the destiny thread :)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Lots of people itt enjoying Bungie firebombing it’s own game because one of the side effects is that streamers and redditors get mad??? And people are accusing me of not actually liking destiny????

We cycled through 69 different numbers to display by guardians and the only one that ever conveyed any arguably useful information at all was season pass ranks. So they spent a bunch of time and effort to collapse it into the same thing but with a number with less range, after hyping it up as something else. Brilliant stuff.

The point of guardian rank is mostly supposed to be (Im assuming) "this person is probably a good sherpa/knowledgeable" Resetting seasonally is a (maybe) good way to avoid "why is this season pass 300 guy not have any idea how the seasonal activity works? Why are they not countering champions?"

Certain parts of guardian ranks reset, and others do not. (Blue = resets) So each season, you'll need to do a little bit of the activity and hit power cap to get back to 7. I see a "Get 750 commendation score" as one that resets and that one might be a genuinely dumb one to reset each season if the commendation score also resets. While you can't see what later ranks require, I'm betting a whole bunch of stuff might actually be retroactive.

I'm reserving full judgement till I see the later ranks - I assume the intention of resetting is also so you can have stuff like "rank 9 means you've done the latest dungeon" "rank 10 means you've done the latest raid" "Rank 11 means you've done a flawless trials, conqueror, etc, this season" or something like that. You know, keep it relevant.

Reddit is mostly big mad that they're being lumped in with players who have less then 100 hours played, or that their flawless raid clears apparently don't count for anything, and I think it's hilarious because I don't think the system is supposed to be purely an e-peen flex, and capturing the level of granularity that people seem to expect would be next to impossible and would certainly just be replicating the season pass system!

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Each vendor has its own engram now. Which vendor?

Vanguard has a machine gun which requires an Vanguard engram along with some other currency.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

I totally see what people mean about the headlong boss, this is turbo aids

And they don't even give you a checkpoint? gently caress you

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

arsenicCatnip posted:

exotic ciphers? unless they changed things this expansion you just gotta grab the quest from xur and do some playlist activities. There's also one on the season track.

Yeah,

How much time do I need to play in order to max out my season rewards, or at least get to 55? I don't want to necessarily play for 2 hours every day, maybe half an hour to pop in and just get stuff done. I prefer PvE over PvP but it seems like you should do both in order to speed things up.

I guess there are probably videos on youtube about maximizing your reward efficiency.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Oxyclean posted:

The point of guardian rank is mostly supposed to be (Im assuming) "this person is probably a good sherpa/knowledgeable" Resetting seasonally is a (maybe) good way to avoid "why is this season pass 300 guy not have any idea how the seasonal activity works? Why are they not countering champions?"

Certain parts of guardian ranks reset, and others do not. (Blue = resets) So each season, you'll need to do a little bit of the activity and hit power cap to get back to 7. I see a "Get 750 commendation score" as one that resets and that one might be a genuinely dumb one to reset each season if the commendation score also resets. While you can't see what later ranks require, I'm betting a whole bunch of stuff might actually be retroactive.

I'm reserving full judgement till I see the later ranks - I assume the intention of resetting is also so you can have stuff like "rank 9 means you've done the latest dungeon" "rank 10 means you've done the latest raid" "Rank 11 means you've done a flawless trials, conqueror, etc, this season" or something like that. You know, keep it relevant.

Reddit is mostly big mad that they're being lumped in with players who have less then 100 hours played, or that their flawless raid clears apparently don't count for anything, and I think it's hilarious because I don't think the system is supposed to be purely an e-peen flex, and capturing the level of granularity that people seem to expect would be next to impossible and would certainly just be replicating the season pass system!

These are fair and well through out points.

but it’s a lot of effort to recreate the season pass rank wheel. If it’s resetting every season then what does it accomplish that season pass rank being high and/or wearing the appropriate emblem doesn’t?

Also agreed on the 750 commendation lol, what in the world

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Hamelekim posted:

Vanguard has a machine gun which requires an Vanguard engram along with some other currency.

Try strikes (you get an engram on each rank up of that vendors rep)

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

arsenicCatnip posted:

I totally see what people mean about the headlong boss, this is turbo aids

And they don't even give you a checkpoint? gently caress you

https://youtu.be/-ooPyZ3DXQQ

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, it's this. They were expecting something that would tell people they're the absolute cream of the crop of destiny players and what they got was something that tells people they're just one step above the idiot pubbies they love to complain about

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

No loving way lmao

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i like that the titan strand super is a double getsuga tensho

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I don't care if the guardian rank number resets as long as the unlocks don't.

The dumb thing to me is we already have season pass ranks, seasonal challenges, triumph score, and seals to show accomplishments/knowledge and this system fits into none of it.

Also as was said the commendation system is weird, everybody is going to be stuck on 6 for a long time because 7 requires 750 points and the system is only active at the end of activities for a short while and you need to press buttons to bring it up. They should have at least made it like overwatch where you can do it until the next activity ends.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Hackan Slash posted:

I don't care if the guardian rank number resets as long as the unlocks don't.

The dumb thing to me is we already have season pass ranks, seasonal challenges, triumph score, and seals to show accomplishments/knowledge and this system fits into none of it.

Also as was said the commendation system is weird, everybody is going to be stuck on 6 for a long time because 7 requires 750 points and the system is only active at the end of activities for a short while and you need to press buttons to bring it up. They should have at least made it like overwatch where you can do it until the next activity ends.

Yes, this is my point. It’s all a bunch of wasted effort that would have been better spent on, oh, I dunno, making a coherent story or making the mods work

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Solo Grandmaster speedrunner, Ascendant Competitive, top 1% invader and mote depositer, multiple 68 perfect distribution exotics, flawless master raid sherpa.

Rank 6 because they are F2P.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

These are fair and well through out points.

but it’s a lot of effort to recreate the season pass rank wheel. If it’s resetting every season then what does it accomplish that season pass rank being high and/or wearing the appropriate emblem doesn’t?

Also agreed on the 750 commendation lol, what in the world
FWIW It's "Commendation score" - I'm already at 91 Score with 22 sent and 24 received and I just did a few of my activities on one character.

It's not supposed to be a grind wheel - it's not about how much XP you can mash out, but actually doing specific accomplishments. If anything, players are even more free to ignore it since it's not tied to any power factor. It's seems like it's supposed to be a more meaningful badge of active play that isn't just "I spend 100 hours doing bounties" I'd hope it's going to be something good for LFG down the road, when you see a rank 11 dude hosting a sherpa raid, you're like "oh, okay, they definitely know what they're doing."

I suspect, doubly so once power grind goes away, that climbing back up the ranks is mostly going to doing a sprinkle of whatever is new, and staying fresh on challenging content. Like to get back up to rank 9, you'll need to do the latest dungeon, and to get to rank 10, you'll need to do the same dungeon on master.

It's funny that the e-peen flexers are so mad, because resetting is absolutely to their benefit.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm gonna keep mine at level 6 forever

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
It's really smart to start the rank at 6, a natural starting number

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Whatever freak invented three currencies for transmog, five currencies for weapon crafting, etc. just moved over to the triumphs department and switched from "inventory object" to "menu rectangle"

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

victrix posted:

After taking a day to digest the campaign and post-campaign story stuff, I think where I've landed is rescheduling really hosed this story

1) Strand was supposed to be earned in Witch Queen. It makes perfect sense there thematically (and would have had some really cool duality with the Hive gaining the Traveller's Light and us gaining the Witch Queen's Strand):

2) The main CG cutscene makes no loving sense when viewed as bookends to the campaign. It makes plenty of sense if you watch it as a single whole video as the intro to Lightfall and the end of Destiny 1/2/10 year plan/light-darkness saga whatever you want to call it. Starts off with a bang, Witness clowns everyone, succeeds immediately, now it's off to the races to stop whatever the gently caress it is doing. Instead, the shutters on the Helm close, we go have zany adventures in Neomuna, do a Rocky training montage with Osiris, hang out with Nimbus for a good long while while the Witness sits out in space knitting, then poof, shutters open and Witness executes its master plan!

3) Strand makes no loving sense in Neomuna. It's here more than anywhere else that the shift from WQ to LF feels most jarring. poo poo like encountering loving Shadow Cabal with Strand shields like, immediately! And then Osiris yelling that we must acquire Strand, it's the only way we can surprise the Witness and defeat Calus! The gently caress, bro, they already have it for some reason (conversely, if we had acquired it back in WQ, it would have been something unique and hidden by Savathun, which is very appropriate for her entire M.O.)

4) You could maybe possibly make the argument the Veil is supposed to be some vital part or organ of the Traveller that Savathun hid during the collapse to stop the Witness. How or why it was hidden in the solar system and the Witness couldn't find it, who knows. Why the Witness needs it to open the portal to the Traveller's cotton candy dimension, also who knows. The heart of the black garden being a failed clone of the heart feels like some too-pat retconny nonsense to try to tie up a story thread that didn't need to be tied up, but again, who knows. This only sort of makes sense when considering the Parasite mission where the worm straight up tells you Savathun rode shotgun for the Witness during the collapse until it was going to shank the Traveler, then she pulled a real humdinger of a scheme.

5) Really just a bit of meta thinking, but if we got dark blue in Beyond Light and green in Witch Queen and then whatever the next darkness flavor was in this campaign (orange resonance?), we'd wrap up the story having Learned The Darkness Alongside Our Light, and we'd wage the big final battle with The Friends We Made Along The Way.

6) More meta thinking - how do you go from the Witch Queen to this incredibly messy Lightfall campaign? You have a narrative team forced to re-write what was supposed to be the last campaign now split into two campaigns and stuff a power acquisition story into a place it wasn't supposed to be. You can't do any big reveals, because those are already all earmarked for The Final Shape, so you somehow cram a campaign in between the shutters on the helm closing and opening.

Anyway, idle random baseless speculation and rambling. Destiny story is nonsense at the best of times, but Lightfall, especially after Witch Queen, misses the mark on so many obvious storytelling rules.

I think what's most annoying is that you can't have your Empire Strikes Back or your Infinity War without clear stakes and clear consequences, and they could have pulled that off here. Instead we got Osiris whining about Strand, sucking up so much oxygen in the story they did tell, and no clear explanation of what the Witness was doing, or why we should care. Frustrating.

I don't know. This is garbage even with an emergency rewrite. Like it took me 30 seconds to come up with a more coherent plot, keeping the same story beats (modifying one or two). It takes extraordinary incompetence to come up with this.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Oxyclean posted:

" I'd hope it's going to be something good for LFG down the road, when you see a rank 11 dude hosting a sherpa raid, you're like "oh, okay, they definitely know what they're doing."

It’s actually going to be used to keep your lowly rank 10 rear end out of the lfg, this is the destiny community we are talking about here

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
And regardless, having a 750 commendation rank requirement, which seems like the longest pole in the tent, to let anyone distinguish from the base level 6, seems really silly

It’s definitely going to be the last one I get for 7

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

It's the 'Bungie Number' after all

Also I do believe that the Guardian Score has a secondary benefit of showing off your basic familiarity with the game, but the real point is that it's a recurring grind every season forever that does not require new content. There will come a day that D2 has New Seasons but no New Content and so things like this will be key

Also also, remember, if you don't like Neomuna, you can simply hit da bricks. just leave!

https://giant.gfycat.com/LiveSimpleAustraliansilkyterrier.gifv

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Panderfringe posted:

I don't know. This is garbage even with an emergency rewrite. Like it took me 30 seconds to come up with a more coherent plot, keeping the same story beats (modifying one or two). It takes extraordinary incompetence to come up with this.

It’s evidence of organizational incompetence

Any one person could make a plot better than what we got, you don’t get incoherent stuff like this unless it’s a futzed group project

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Can't believe noone's mentioned Calus' stupid new bucket hat

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Okay so I only have like 2 hours experience with Lightfall, but this is a dumb comment to make. Guardian ranks literally do not start at 6. It just starts at 6 for us, the people who have been playing Destiny for an ungodly amount of time. Would it be nice if it reset to a nicer number? Sure, but does it really matter?

I think using guardian ranks instead of season pass levels has benefits:
- you could technically look at a 200-level player last season and not know if they were a regular raider or if they just played adept nightfalls every day of the week.
- it provides more levers for Bungie to tweak. Does the 750 commendation point requirement for 7 actually suck? Are F2P players locked out of getting higher than 6 because of requirements that require paid access? Bungie can fix that. Maybe the implementation is wonky out of the gate but that can always be fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone