Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Meeko posted:

Actually upon thiniking about it a bit further, the worst has to be Domain of Kourna. Kinda incomplete, bad meta, no reason to go back, and it has the least useful material out of all the living stories.

Don't forget turning an iconic set piece from GW1 into... that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I liked Kourna, but I'm A) a sucker for the whole PoF motif that isn't Branded, and B) probably conflating the zone with how much fun I had getting the beetle. I also like metas that don't consume half your day.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

ptroll posted:

I was actually pretty surprised that there don't seem to be any jade bot offense / defense boosts on the map, despite there being batteries everywhere like other EoD maps. You just spend charges on the weird filter and that's it.

Upgrading the outposts seems to set up protocol stations in them, though you don't really need them to rush down the map.

AmbientParadox posted:

that_shaman commented how the map is at max size already, unlike Bjora, so they can't add more area to it.

I've yet to see a map that has the name off-center, it -would- be centered if they added the left side of the map however.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I've yet to see a map that has the name off-center, it -would- be centered if they added the left side of the map however.

Maybe instead of content, most of the work this patch was increasing the max map size.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Mailer posted:

I liked Kourna, but I'm A) a sucker for the whole PoF motif that isn't Branded, and B) probably conflating the zone with how much fun I had getting the beetle. I also like metas that don't consume half your day.

Yeah. Kourna isn't peak gw2 by any means, but it's fine? Wouldn't crack my top ten worst zones.

And I'm a wierdo who's come to appreciate tangled depths.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah Kourna's got fun to be had even if there's not much in terms of material rewards. There's a bunch of cool places to see and things to do and very little of the annoying bullshit that creeps in to a lot of maps.

There's plenty of zones which are packed with enemies built to frustrate, or have literally gently caress all to see or do, or are just a total nightmare to get navigate, but Kourna's not one of them.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

TD and NK are probably my least favorite (have not seen LW3/5 maps besides Bitterfrost), with NK leading by a mile. They'll have to work hard to topple gently caress You City as the worst map. While Sandswept wasn't great, Dragonfall was 100% the worst LW4 map for me. They took something that graphically fun and just turned it into a nonstop obstacle course.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

TD is just awful as a map yeah I have to agree, chak gerent is cool and redeems it but otherwise it's just so complicated for the sake of being complicated. NKC i think is really dependent on if you have a skyscale if not - if you do, it's a cool map. if you don't, it's hell to navigate.

Unfortunately Dragonfall is in the same category, made much worse by the champion train at the end basically being non-viable if you dont have a skyscale these days.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Meeko posted:

TD is just awful as a map yeah I have to agree, chak gerent is cool and redeems it but otherwise it's just so complicated for the sake of being complicated.
it's very true to its name and i didn't mind it when exploring/doing story there for the first time, but it's a really bad MMO map because you never want to go back but there's a bunch of objectives you might want to do there lmao

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Orv posted:

Pray we do not alter them further.

guess I didn't pray hard enough

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
the desolation is the worst map and it's not even close

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Saraiguma posted:

gently caress those spider web things that stun you off your mount.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Saraiguma posted:

:agreed:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Meeko posted:

NKC i think is really dependent on if you have a skyscale if not - if you do, it's a cool map. if you don't, it's hell to navigate.

Unfortunately Dragonfall is in the same category, made much worse by the champion train at the end basically being non-viable if you dont have a skyscale these days.

It's me. I'm the guy who played through all of EoD, did the meta dozens of times, put up with NK, and only just got a skyscale. :v:

Echovald is pretty rear end without a skyscale as well, though not as much. I know everyone else probably got theirs about the same time when they were new but playing the game before/after is huge. Like even dumb event dailies go from solid pain to easy with a skyscale because everyone has them and that's pretty much changed the whole ecosystem. HoT events are fun now!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Saraiguma posted:

Compared to Tangled Depths? Really?!

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I can reliably go from Point A to Point B in the Desolation. It's been like 8 years of Tangled Depths and I still don't know how the gently caress you get anywhere in that map.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The Desolation feels less desolate than New Kaineng, losing points for both maps

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The Best Map, on the other hand, is Grothmar Valley

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Echovald isn't too bad until you go and do map completion and then you realize two of the POIs are locked behind mini-dungeons and one of those is locked behind a collection and there's multiple hearts using this stupid rear end "disguise and sabotage stuff in the base" gimmick and holy gently caress

And yet somehow it doesn't even compare to Tangled Depths

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Mover posted:

The Best Map, on the other hand, is Grothmar Valley

Its beautiful.

I convinced a friend to buy gw2 just for that map.

I wish it was more active. maybe i just need to do the events :/

Metal concert is easy top 1 meta event in game. It knows how silly it is and plays it up perfectly.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Echovald isn't too bad until you go and do map completion and then you realize two of the POIs are locked behind mini-dungeons and one of those is locked behind a collection
Honestly, the collection is easy and you don't actually need to do the dungeons to get the POIs, which puts it above Thunderhead Keep, where you have to do the mini-dungeon and it's RNG whether you get the room with the POI in it and you can only do it once per day.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, meta is actually fairly profitable to run a couple times a day so long as you do a few things I think.

Tag lots of events.

Only get the cheapest keys or champ dropped keys and mostly use them on ancient chests.

Most importantly, get shrimp and fishing lures/food and fish the 2 cavern fishing nodes after the meta boss dies, which is a easy extra 20g of ambergris from legendary fish.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Hyperlynx posted:

Compared to Tangled Depths? Really?!

tangled depths is the best map in the game, well above second place grothmar

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I play the game in French and German for fun sometimes, and there is no German voice actor for Rama in the new quest lol. Gorrik is fine, but when dialogue comes up for Rama it's just a silent text box.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Echovald is clearly the winner for worst map in the game, say what you will about Tangled Depths but at least it has color, variety, no hearts, a good meta and that feeling that comes when you are completely lost and suddenly found where you are.
Echovald is just grey and green and greyish green, not a lot of variety in it's landscape, tediously long and repetitive gimmick hearts and reskinned old raid boss for a bad meta fight.

If it weren't for the 4 jade runestone chests in the lower right of echovald I would have no reason to revisit it.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Echovald has a neat minidungeon

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Echovald is solely responsible for me not wanting to craft any more gen 3 legendaries.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Saraiguma posted:

tangled depths is the best map in the game, well above second place grothmar

:psyduck:

Ok. How come? You obviously see something in it that I don't!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Hyperlynx posted:

:psyduck:

Ok. How come? You obviously see something in it that I don't!

It's super atmospheric, it has four interesting and well done quest chains as well as the main meta, and it's got some fun little bits like let line adventure and the quiz holograms. It makes much more sense as a map when you conceptualise it as tendrils radiating out from ley line convergence. Navigating from the starting camp is a horror show.

I ding it points for mushroom emporer and the rifle adventure.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I got to play through the whole meta and I'll echo what others have said that it's Drizzlewood lite and the final boss takes probably three times as long as it should. The filter mechanism is kind of annoying but not too awful, though after getting a fresh 30 at the last outpost I was down to like 5 after the boss died. Though I think the Haze goes away after the finale?

It's interesting that the map in LFG is just listed under EoD and not a season. It makes me wish we got a hero's choice chest though. I think the length lends itself to an rear end but even a Jade Runestone would be cool. And thanks for the tip on the Chambered Nautilus from fishing there, I have enough ambergris for a legendary now :toot:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I love the concept of Tangled Depths. I think if it was even like 10-20% easier to navigate (either by map design or minimap improvement) it’d jump up a lot for me.

It also has a couple events that bug out to where they can’t be completed, so thats another point against it.

It’s still better than NK or Echovald.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Humerus posted:

It's interesting that the map in LFG is just listed under EoD and not a season.

They seem to be ditching the idea of Living World seasons, these new maps are supposed to be part of EoD. It's why this new episode is free forever, not just for a limited window of time.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Alright turns out the fishing pools near the end of the new map have a really, really high chance of Legendary fish, and you can fish up like...five? per day or so. Makes the new meta super worth doing once or twice a day, especially if you can get in on a map already half done.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

tarbrush posted:

It's super atmospheric, it has four interesting and well done quest chains as well as the main meta, and it's got some fun little bits like let line adventure and the quiz holograms. It makes much more sense as a map when you conceptualise it as tendrils radiating out from ley line convergence. Navigating from the starting camp is a horror show.

I ding it points for mushroom emporer and the rifle adventure.

You're not alone, I really like TD too. I always really liked that the four HoT maps have four very distinct atmospheres: Verdant Brink is an actively hostile warzone; Auric Basin is the cool, mysterious Indiana Jones map; and Dragon's Stand is the siege map. I think TD is interesting as the inverse of VB: instead of being actively hostile, it's passively hostile. It's the point at which you really feel like this was a massive military overreach and you really, really shouldn't be here. It's weird and alien and untamable.

I'm going to be really weird and say that my favorite map in the game has always been Malchor's Leap. Straits of Devastation is more generic fantasy ruins-y and Cursed Shore is more overgrown and corrupted, but Malchor's Leap is where you can really get an idea of what Orr looked like, and I think it's really cool how their main architectural theme was really big. They built big and they fell hard.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

OzFactor posted:

You're not alone, I really like TD too. I always really liked that the four HoT maps have four very distinct atmospheres: Verdant Brink is an actively hostile warzone; Auric Basin is the cool, mysterious Indiana Jones map; and Dragon's Stand is the siege map. I think TD is interesting as the inverse of VB: instead of being actively hostile, it's passively hostile. It's the point at which you really feel like this was a massive military overreach and you really, really shouldn't be here. It's weird and alien and untamable.

This is the exact reason I like TD too - it really leans in to the core fantasy of Heart of Thorns as an expansion, I think, in that you're stumbling through a hostile, confusing jungle that hates you. Maybe people dread going there for some reason or another - but isn't that kind of the idea? I'd rather have various zones that elicit reactions - even negative ones - than have every zone be emotionally neutral, even though the latter is probably financially a better decision. The Desolation is kind of the same way - you're deep in hostile territory where the environment and its inhabitants want you dead.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

It’s honestly strange that the Desolation wasn’t the final map of PoF. Vabbi feels like a step down in tension and action.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Vabbi is high on my list of maps that suck.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Kassad posted:

They seem to be ditching the idea of Living World seasons, these new maps are supposed to be part of EoD. It's why this new episode is free forever, not just for a limited window of time.

Right, which I think is cool. I guess I didn't really connect my two thoughts; I was saying since the new map (literally can't remember what it's called) is just part of EoD instead of a LW map, we should get a Hero's Choice chest like we do for the other metas.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
PoF maps are fine, they're just boring because nothing ever happens there because gw2 team thought people hate good meta events when people didn't like HoT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Silverwastes remains a fun and cool meta. VB too!