Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I hope a good journo finds someone from Bungie willing to talk about what happened behind the scenes with this, because it seems like an incredibly weird blunder that it wound up like this. Like, I had more fun with this than I did Beyond Light and Shadowkeep's lovely "campaigns", but the story is so ill-considered that even my stupid rear end could do better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

kurona_bright posted:

Okay so I only have like 2 hours experience with Lightfall, but this is a dumb comment to make. Guardian ranks literally do not start at 6. It just starts at 6 for us, the people who have been playing Destiny for an ungodly amount of time. Would it be nice if it reset to a nicer number? Sure, but does it really matter?

I think using guardian ranks instead of season pass levels has benefits:
- you could technically look at a 200-level player last season and not know if they were a regular raider or if they just played adept nightfalls every day of the week.
- it provides more levers for Bungie to tweak. Does the 750 commendation point requirement for 7 actually suck? Are F2P players locked out of getting higher than 6 because of requirements that require paid access? Bungie can fix that. Maybe the implementation is wonky out of the gate but that can always be fixed.

I’ve literally never seen a sub-6, and my wide-screen monitor turned vertically has been on the whole time

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

what's the point of making my guardian talk if my ghost says, after the worst experience I've ever had in density, "wow I bet we could do that again haha :)" and I can't grab him and scream SHUT THE gently caress UPPPPPP

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Now this is the glorious form Calus was talking about

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh sick, you get red frames from the campaign on alts. (It's feeling super easy to breeze through on normal, like comically so)

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
I couldn’t care less if the two blueberries I just dragged through a seasonal playlist event think I’m joyful.

I’d be joyful if they bothered to make tutorial missions.

A version of the seasonal activity but you are solo and WILL NOT PROGRESS until you personally pay attention and complete every mechanic would be far more useful.

sunday at work fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 2, 2023

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

sunday at work posted:

I couldn’t care less if the two blueberries I just dragged through a seasonal playlist event think I’m joyful.

I’d be joyful if they bothered to make tutorial missions.

Friend I play a lot with is the prototypical blueberry, he had fireteam lead last night and just blew out of the Commendation screen.

Real sicko poo poo.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Just can't beat this Tormentor. I'm very much enjoying redoing this fight only to get grabbed by the Tormentor and killed. It's hell good. I love it

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
https://twitter.com/A_dmg04/status/1631106052770123776?s=20

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Just can't beat this Tormentor. I'm very much enjoying redoing this fight only to get grabbed by the Tormentor and killed. It's hell good. I love it

i like how it has a dark souls grab, but I can't stunlock it out of it with my +10 chaos zwei

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

kurona_bright posted:

Okay so I only have like 2 hours experience with Lightfall, but this is a dumb comment to make.

This isn't even my final posting form

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm playing around with old exotics and Sunshot sure is fun. Maybe it's me but it feels more powerful this season

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
e: post was too good to live

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The knockback that turns off your grapple is also pretty fun.

I had to switch my build for the last boss and used
Krait with one for all / subsistence
Telesto
Lmg with vorpal/autoloading hey man it's all I had to kill tormenters

Telesto did some work at boss damage, it was really fun.

PsySabreW
Jan 7, 2005

Bicep curls the asgardian way

When do we get this as a transmog for Titan's precious scars?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

neutral milf hotel posted:

I'm playing around with old exotics and Sunshot sure is fun. Maybe it's me but it feels more powerful this season

Been meaning to try it out. They changed the old school 'burn' effect to be actual Solar 3.0 scorch, same as what Incandescent gives, so I was hoping it would be good.

Same is true for Polaris Lance's explosions.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

I got a Sun Shot just before maintenance and I have been having a good time blowing up a bunch of adds before being oneshot by the Tormentor

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

with all the poo poo being bitched about rn im shocked Tormentors aren't chief among them, they suck.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

General Battuta posted:

Not far from Tropea, as the crow flies.

[extremely reread too much lore on monday voice] hey!! hey!!!

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Very poignant in light of Lightfall being what it is and the marketing job they did with it

I wonder if the Witness feels sorry for Bungie like it does the Traveller.

this is the true metanarrative of destiny :hmmyes: (unironic)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lmfao with grapple abuse trials is a big ol bag of nope for me dog.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

arsenicCatnip posted:

with all the poo poo being bitched about rn im shocked Tormentors aren't chief among them, they suck.

Maybe it's different in a fireteam but I just don't have the agility to outrun them for the 5 minutes it takes to whittle them down

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Getting Shadowkeep vibes. I feel like thats how I felt with that expansion lol

People have forgotten that the natural state of the Destiny player is to hate this terrible game that we somehow still play for thousands of hours

In fact perhaps the true cause of this stronger-than-usual backlash is that WQ brought in a whole bunch of fresh faces who spent a whole year operating under the incorrect assumption that D2 is a good video game

Meanwhile all the players who joined during Forsaken and then went on to Shadowkeep are like "yep this whole situation checks out, really"

On a different note:

arsenicCatnip posted:

Tormentors loving own and each and every time they popped up in Legend I started hooting and hollering because I knew I was about to have a good time.

I love that there's a strong enemy that demands I focus on it and what it's doing mid-gunfight, and demands reasonably accurate shooting to hit the weak spots while in motion. They're very dangerous but outside of getting grabbed while you're low on health their attacks are generally survivable long enough to reposition if you're caught out. Each one pops up in an arena which is small enough to stress you out but always leaves room to maneuver, and each encounter doesn't overwhelm you with adds while a Tormentor is around but always pops in a few to make you have to prioritize your attention moment to moment. I love them. They're great. I want a raid encounter that forces someone to 1v1 a Tormentor for a mechanic, I'd take that job every single time.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Maybe it's different in a fireteam but I just don't have the agility to outrun them for the 5 minutes it takes to whittle them down

Save LMG ammo for them and then it’s a 1 minute fight.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

FlapYoJacks posted:

Lmfao with grapple abuse trials is a big ol bag of nope for me dog.

is grapple abuse just getting up to weird places?

is it ridiculous for me to say the easiest way to fix grapple is to make it so that only in neomuna can you place grapple points anwyhere, in other content you can only grapple to enemies, and then take the recharge timer down to like a third? i'm not familiar with the warlock/titan strand stuff so maybe this only makes sense for hunters. with hunters the grapple in + do a melee thing is so dangerous in difficult PvE content that even on a big recharge timer it seems really hard to cheese, idk. maybe this isn't enough for PvP either

i just do not understand why they decided to do free-point grappling in this game that was not designed for it, it fundamentally hosed up this class. just limit its use like how you couldn't fly in base ff14 for a while since the areas weren't designed for it, its ok

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Ok I am absolutely dead serious now: the person who designed a 3-part vex fight with zero checkpoints in breakneck needs to get their rear end whipped

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I was using a wendigo against them but switched to an lmg for the last fight and realized how tormenters work.

They have glowing spots that you shoot. The first two are on the shoulders and when you pop them they get aggressive and start actively chasing you down. You'll see a notification on the screen when a tormenter is chasing you.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Tormentors own. Whoever dreamed up Champions please take note.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Meiteron posted:

I want a raid encounter that forces someone to 1v1 a Tormentor for a mechanic, I'd take that job every single time.

The raid encounter will pick someone at random for that fight.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Meiteron posted:

Tormentors loving own and each and every time they popped up in Legend I started hooting and hollering because I knew I was about to have a good time.

I love that there's a strong enemy that demands I focus on it and what it's doing mid-gunfight, and demands reasonably accurate shooting to hit the weak spots while in motion. They're very dangerous but outside of getting grabbed while you're low on health their attacks are generally survivable long enough to reposition if you're caught out. Each one pops up in an arena which is small enough to stress you out but always leaves room to maneuver, and each encounter doesn't overwhelm you with adds while a Tormentor is around but always pops in a few to make you have to prioritize your attention moment to moment. I love them. They're great. I want a raid encounter that forces someone to 1v1 a Tormentor for a mechanic, I'd take that job every single time.

I get where you're coming from but the part in the campaign where you literally do 1v1 a tormentor was the most boring poo poo imaginable. "Run to the other end of the hallway, shoot him a bit, kite and repeat" is a ridiculously tedious gameplay loop for how much health the fuckers have.

Hive Guardians were cool cause you had to alternate between playing passively and aggressively; you'd hang back when they had their supers then capitalize when they dropped before they put down a barricade or some poo poo, it was cool. With Tormentors you're always playing passively because getting into close-range with them is objectively a bad idea, they're just gonna command grab you or suppress your or instakill you. There's no interesting counterplay or real change, mechanically they're just unstop champions you can't stun. It's a shame cause they look great and the attacks are cool tho

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm assuming Tormenter grab, melee, slam, and projectile will all be one hit kills on Master content

Much like the Lucent Hive, they probably only really 'work' on Campaign and have some wonky scaling issues for M/GM

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

is grapple abuse just getting up to weird places?

No. https://youtu.be/hOldSvbFRoU

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Also suppression taking away your double jump is the most aids thing in the entire game. In general I don't like stuff that just takes away your abilities but there have been so many bullshit deaths where I got clipped by a tormentor in mid-air and just plummet like a rock

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I should do in the game at the moment.

I'm on mission 4 of the new campaign on Legendary difficulty, want that sweet end of campaign loot and exotic. But I also want to finish up the Gjallerhorn quest line. I'm at the first boss for the Dungeon, doing it solo for fun/challenge. I'm also missing a heavy machinegun which I would like to have for the campaign. I had a couple of blue heavy machineguns but they are not the same, and wasn't going to spend currency to upgrade their level.

I don't think the Gjallerhorn quest is going away anytime soon, and the better loot from the campaign seems like the way to go for now, unless there is anything else that I might want to farm for guns that would be good in the campaign.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

arsenicCatnip posted:

Also suppression taking away your double jump is the most aids thing in the entire game. In general I don't like stuff that just takes away your abilities but there have been so many bullshit deaths where I got clipped by a tormentor in mid-air and just plummet like a rock

This poo poo drove me up a loving wall. Combine with the fact that the grapple is floaty as hell and it's just not fun at all to get clipped and have no way of readjusting and falling off the stage or whatever.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Meiteron posted:

for the whole campaign I was like "oh at some point they're gonna make me fight one of them while the power suppressor is online" and when it happened it turned out it wasn't as scary as I thought it would; on the whole the campaign is pretty well-balanced mechanically it's just the one fight at the end that absolutely needed someone at some point to go "wait there's an element in there that's absolute bullshit"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The seasonal armor for female hunters has high heels

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

ElNarez posted:

for the whole campaign I was like "oh at some point they're gonna make me fight one of them while the power suppressor is online" and when it happened it turned out it wasn't as scary as I thought it would; on the whole the campaign is pretty well-balanced mechanically it's just the one fight at the end that absolutely needed someone at some point to go "wait there's an element in there that's absolute bullshit"

It's a consistent problem with destiny, where they'll have an encounter thats theoretically fun but they take the bullshit a bridge too far and ruin it. Best example I can think of is the opening of Deep Stone Crypt: You have to deal with the cold, the fog, the spider mines and the ads. Removing any one of these would make the encounter reasonable, but all together it's just a slog until you memorize the route

arsenicCatnip fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 2, 2023

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

The seasonal armor for female hunters has high heels

make it so they can use swords with their feet and we got a thing going

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009
The rotating terminal overload event has the same thing the menagerie did back in the day. If you sparrow past the zone translation and come back you can loot the chest again. I got 3, you might be able to squeeze 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
'Enemy of Witness on Titan - if still living, preservation is paramount'

BORING suckass gamers are hoping it's the big fish in the water

The Enlightened know that it's Sloane, who has been eradicating the Hive on Titan for 3 years. Ripping and tearing, until it is done