Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

SkyeAuroline posted:

Closing in on the same problem with Nuln Oil Gloss. Nobody makes a remotely acceptable substitute.

I've been having excellent results with AP quickshade dark tone plus a tiny bit of flow improver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Re: wash chat

The old line of GW washes were the absolute best. I still have a whole bottle of Flesh Wash and nothing else I have tried even comes close.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Chainclaw posted:

oh god the main reason I don't want to switch to the contrast based nuln oil / earthshade is how poorly they work with water, oil washes are even worse for that.

Well, that plus the fact that contrast paints do that lovely thing of leaving the tiny unpainted dots all over as the contrast paint dries and pulls in on itself, but oil washes don't have that problem.

Well I mean yeah, you use white spirit/mineral spirit - not sure I follow with the water thing!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

ijyt posted:

Well I mean yeah, you use white spirit/mineral spirit - not sure I follow with the water thing!

I spill water, it just makes thing a bit wet, no harm no foul really. The cat gets into it, he just gets a sip of some painty water.

The water also won't harm anyone on and around my desk.

I spill mineral spirit, that's a problem.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Big fan of the new-ish Pro Acryl washes here, especially the flesh wash.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Chainclaw posted:

I spill water, it just makes thing a bit wet, no harm no foul really. The cat gets into it, he just gets a sip of some painty water.

Yeah, but your cat will only get into the mineral spirits once, so....

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Muir posted:

Big fan of the new-ish Pro Acryl washes here, especially the flesh wash.

I tried them recently and....they're ok? They're not a 1:1 pigment to gw colors which is not surprising. I don't really have anything negative to say about them otherwise.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Chainclaw posted:

I have two cats and I have yet to spill mineral spirits all over them and their water bowls. Leave your spirits either in the container or in metal containers that can be sealed when you're not using them and you're fine.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The French Army posted:

Re: wash chat

The old line of GW washes were the absolute best. I still have a whole bottle of Flesh Wash and nothing else I have tried even comes close.

Man that 90s flesh wash still hasn't been replicated. It had this weird reddish yellowish dark brown finish that was perfect for skeletons.

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

Silhouette posted:

Man that 90s flesh wash still hasn't been replicated. It had this weird reddish yellowish dark brown finish that was perfect for skeletons.

Has anyone tried Coat d' Arms chestnut ink wash for this?

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Silhouette posted:

It was perfect for bones, gold, patina'd metal, flesh, yellow surfaces, you fuckin name it. I love that stuff, it's so versatile.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Did a guy

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

ijyt posted:

I believe the poster is saying that being able to use water to dilute the wash is a benefit that does not work the same with contrast based washes. Like you can water down nuln oil to lessen the effect easily on Grey's and light colors with old null oil.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Richard Gray has multiple videos that use contrast medium to thin contrast paints like thinner with oils so you actually can do what you're talking about with washes, it just costs more money.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I got off my rear end and made some bases for two of my Dark Mechanicum Kastelan robots and a custom dude who I'm just labeling an AI Technoarcheologist. Given everyone's size they all had to be put on 60mm bases.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Made a little more progress on Ghaz. Ork checkers are starting to get a lot less intimidating

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

Made a little more progress on Ghaz. Ork checkers are starting to get a lot less intimidating

This rocks keep up the great work!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I mean is Contrast Medium / Xpress Medium just matte medium in a smaller bottler for more money? Seems like it.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

It's not just medium, there's a flow improver element to it as well, and probably a drying retarder, too. You could definitely roll your own for cheap but you'll need to put in some time experimenting with the mix first, so any potential savings are likely to be lost there.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Long term rolling your own contrast medium is probably cheaper. Also matte medium, flow improver, and retarder all come in handy so they're worth picking up anyway.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Thanks for the link to that Eavy Metal site. I’m going to pick up a few new paints and try their Deathwatch Black and Black Templar Weapons Red on my next squad. I find it really interesting that they don’t use any washes aside from Nuln- any idea what “Shade with Khorne and Black” would look like? Really watered down?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

It's not just medium, there's a flow improver element to it as well, and probably a drying retarder, too. You could definitely roll your own for cheap but you'll need to put in some time experimenting with the mix first, so any potential savings are likely to be lost there.

A lot of the regular youtubers have posted their ratios and made dedicated videos. Probably a good place to start and just copy what they've done.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I've copied the Spikey Bits guide before and got decent enough results with a mix of matte, flow improver, and ink.

https://spikeybits.com/2022/07/how-to-make-citadel-contrast-paints-for-less.html

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I've posted the wip a couple of times, and while I could probably faff more, but for my sanity he's done. For a competition, but I'm hearing the bust category is super competitive, so not expecting much.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:drat:

Radiation Cow posted:

I've posted the wip a couple of times, and while I could probably faff more, but for my sanity he's done. For a competition, but I'm hearing the bust category is super competitive, so not expecting much.

:drat:

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Crossposting pictures of my finished Ridgehauler from the 40k thread:

quote:

I finished the transfers, so I'm calling the Ridgehauler(/Trojan) done now.

And here's a shot of the artillery platoon. The whole project started as an elaborate objective setup for small games, but I guess it's a playable 600 pts army too. I ought to figure out how to expand it to an even 1k or something.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Chainclaw posted:

Buddy I can assure you, no animal will drink mineral spirit. You also don't need more than a few drops anyway!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I like oil washes a lot, but if someone is looking for a straight up 1:1 old forumulation Agrax Earthshade replacement... Oil washes arent what they are looking for. They're an entirely seperate paint type with their own learning curve which require a solvent which, lets be honest, even the "odourless" variants have a particular smell. Its really best practice to set aside a specific set of (lovely) brushes for them. They have a longer drying time to completely set. If you did the first 50% of your army with agrax wash on their trousers and the second half with a brown oil wash, I reckon you could tell the difference. Between all these factors they arent going to fit nicely into a lot of people workflow.

Again, they're good! People should try them if they want to! I personally cant be arsed with them on most infantry sized models, but occasionally love them on bigger stuff! But lets not pretend they are even close to being what the original poster was asking about.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
How viable is brushing on primer? I get that it's not ideal, but is it actually workable as an alternative to spray cans/air brushes?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vagabong posted:

How viable is brushing on primer? I get that it's not ideal, but is it actually workable as an alternative to spray cans/air brushes?

Yes. I do it all the time. It takes longer but you get more control.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

ijyt posted:

Buddy I can assure you, no animal will drink mineral spirit. You also don't need more than a few drops anyway!

Pets will step in spills then lick themselves clean.
Like, don't let that stop you but obviously don't allow a situation to persist where they have access (like if you have a cat that loves to jump on the painting desk to see what's up)

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 3, 2023

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Test model for my arbites and some of my recently finished Gallowdark terrain

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

trying to diagnose some airbrush behaviour and Im not really sure where to start.

Occasionally I will see some sputtering, and paint wont flow on pulling the trigger back until it REALLY starts flowing. Is this a case of paint thats too thick, psi, or what?

Im running about 15-18psi at the moment, but theres just enough factors that Im not sure where to start

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I've seen dry tip do that. Are you using thinner/flow improver?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Marx Headroom posted:

I've seen dry tip do that. Are you using thinner/flow improver?

Yeah, I think 5:1

It does take a minute to kick in though so you might be right. My house is dry, so maybe I need to change up my ratio/add some dry retarder

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

Yeah, I think 5:1

It does take a minute to kick in though so you might be right. My house is dry, so maybe I need to change up my ratio/add some dry retarder

Yeah that sounds exactly like dry tip.

You may not need to change much, for some paints a minute is the best I can get out of it without using so much flow improver that it takes forever to dry on the model. There are lots of ways to wipe the tip clean but I like using these applicators, I keep one soaked in airbrush thinner and it only takes a second to wipe off the tip. I use one for an air brush session, maybe two if it's longer than an hour.

https://www.amazon.com/200PCS-Applicator-Disposable-Eyelash-Extensions/dp/B09FPDMTTB

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Chromatics posted:

Yeah that sounds exactly like dry tip.

You may not need to change much, for some paints a minute is the best I can get out of it without using so much flow improver that it takes forever to dry on the model. There are lots of ways to wipe the tip clean but I like using these applicators, I keep one soaked in airbrush thinner and it only takes a second to wipe off the tip. I use one for an air brush session, maybe two if it's longer than an hour.

https://www.amazon.com/200PCS-Applicator-Disposable-Eyelash-Extensions/dp/B09FPDMTTB

Yeah given most of my airbrush sessions so far have been getting blasted and painting for hours I'll give this a go

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 3, 2023

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Big Willy Style posted:

Test model for my arbites and some of my recently finished Gallowdark terrain

The weathering on the armour is excellent.

Looking at the monitors, you wonder who is controlling the power and computer networks on the Gallowdark.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
Finished up the inner sphere heavy battle lance.

Particularly like how the bushwacker and axeman came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

Finished up the inner sphere heavy battle lance.

Particularly like how the bushwacker and axeman came out.

Those are really great!