Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve totally given up on the all nba award

the writers have completely hosed that up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I wouldn’t vote for Embiid, but hitting that half court shot against Boston would have changed my mind. Still Jokic imo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can not vote for jokic this year Becuase he’s already won 2

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
i really wonder why the sports forum guys kicked you out

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I know right. their loss

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ytou can post in the sports forum lol idk why you think youre forumbanned

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Nobody kicked anyone out they're all wel...allowed to post. Although the place is hostile enough that I get why they don't.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

theres ntohing wrong with this thread but one of the reasons its so aids is that you have 5x the number of posts as the 2nd highest poster

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I do post in SAS all the time

football funhouse, mlb thread

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

theres ntohing wrong with this thread but one of the reasons its so aids is that you have 5x the number of posts as the 2nd highest poster

I agree with you and I’ve been trying to tone it down. 🙏

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Most Voluminous Poster

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

the other thread is for posting how players used to be cool but now they are nephews, Twitter embeds, blogging about how Kyrie is making you reconsider your leftist economic politics, and other important discussions. it shouldn’t be flooded with Euph posts.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

basketball was better in the 90s

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

most things were

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

ytou can post in the sports forum lol idk why you think youre forumbanned

randos saying mean things is worse than any threadban

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Rick posted:

Nobody kicked anyone out they're all wel...allowed to post. Although the place is hostile enough that I get why they don't.

I'm not convinced it's any more hostile than CSPAM

Of course if you've managed to piss off everyone there it's probably not too fun

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

basketball was better in the 90s

I’m not so sure about this

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

indigi posted:

I’m not so sure about this

it was

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I did like that there were more colorful personalities

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

you dont know who nikola jokic is?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

a new study bible! posted:

Even Euph has said that the Jokic case is pretty undeniable this season. I don’t think anyone is saying he shouldn’t be the favorite this year.

ill come out and say that

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
if he hadn't won two fraudulently nobody would care about him winning this year

also god drat the Mavs really play zero defense huh

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

indigi posted:

if he hadn't won two fraudulently nobody would care about him winning this year

also god drat the Mavs really play zero defense huh

funny how context works isnt it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

ill come out and say that

ya say that the 90s nba was way better

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

AnimeIsTrash posted:

ya say that the 90s nba was way better

it wasnt. the celtics were awful in the 90s

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the bulls were good

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

it wasnt. the celtics were awful in the 90s

My brain filtered this text into a gif of 'Toine shimmying

e: it's complicated by the indelible memories of Tommy screaming "I. LOVE. WALTER. [McCarty]"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbEQfmwh-fg

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

*stimpak hisssssss*

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
monkeu is not allowed to post

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Luka thank you

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

they would have come up with new “advanced” “analytics” to take the award away from Lebron

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/vorp_top_10.html

Lebron and Jordan would have each won 9 MVPs while Jabbar would have won 7

The analytics revolution makes it easier for the best player to win in consecutive years

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 3, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Salvor_Hardin posted:

*stimpak hisssssss*

i remember going to games before this, but this game is the first one i remember specifically seeing live at the fleet center.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199711230BOS.html

they did that rick pitino full court press and got grant hill to turn over the ball multiple times and i was convinced it was a genius strategy lol

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yossarian-22 posted:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/vorp_top_10.html

Lebron and Jordan would have each won 9 MVPs while Jabbar would have won 7

The analytics revolution makes it easier for the best player to win in consecutive years

I wonder how the writers are gonna spend all the extra brainpower they aren’t using by contextualizing and processing their own sensory input data.

Don’t you think there’s something hosed up about the Sisyphean pursuit of forcing every multitude of the game into a number machine? You are human! You don’t need the wires to think for you!

Sports are only interesting because of the narrative and allegorical functions of the many abstractions they allow. Why do you want to kill them?

I pity u

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

i remember going to games before this, but this game is the first one i remember specifically seeing live at the fleet center.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199711230BOS.html

they did that rick pitino full court press and got grant hill to turn over the ball multiple times and i was convinced it was a genius strategy lol

I came into basketball during the Toine + Paul Pierce era. I remember Tony Allen was my favorite player and I was devastated when he got a season-ending injury when he landed funny after a dunk that he did after a whistle.

I also distinctly remember watching this game in a family friend's furnished basement while my dad played poker upstairs.

https://www.celticslife.com/2013/05/bostons-record-2002-comeback-over-nets.html

e: holy poo poo I forgot how gigantic the shorts were in that era. I wanna see a graph of NBA shorts material over the history of the NBA

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 3, 2023

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I think it is Hubie Brown on TNT that seems amazed that the Warriors aren't guarding Westbrook at all

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

pot meet kettle

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

a new study bible! posted:

I wonder how the writers are gonna spend all the extra brainpower they aren’t using by contextualizing and processing their own sensory input data.

Don’t you think there’s something hosed up about the Sisyphean pursuit of forcing every multitude of the game into a number machine? You are human! You don’t need the wires to think for you!

Sports are only interesting because of the narrative and allegorical functions of the many abstractions they allow. Why do you want to kill them?

I pity u

I'm all for abstraction but the only abstraction that writers did before analytics was "wins good, losses bad" which is why Derrick Rose and Steve Nash won MVPs that were totally undeserved. Not saying analytics are the end all be all but helping your team lose on the final possession of the game vs. lose by 20 has to count for something. And being a good player on a winning team doesn't count for much when the team would win just as many games without you

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

I agree with you and I’ve been trying to tone it down. 🙏

euph you rule. never stop posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Those MVPs were bad, but the 02-03 All Star nod for Antoine Walker might legit be the most undeserved award of all time: 27.9% usage and .467 TS%.

And while they was a down year for him somewhat, it wasn't that far off his career averages. He got paid star money and dude was a flat out worse shooter percentage wise than Westbrook with the Lakers this season.