Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

LeeMajors posted:

I know. It’s all just so loving stupid.

“I have an idea. What if Magnum PI, but no mustache, Higgins is a hot chick and they’re loving?”

Gotta be honest, from what I've seen of it I kinda like the new Magnum better than the original one :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I am not sure if it is good or not, but I recall seeing Arena a bunch on tv. I cannot remember the plot, but for some reason some guy needs to box a bunch of aliens like some sort of intergalactic punch-out.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Pain of Mind posted:

I am not sure if it is good or not, but I recall seeing Arena a bunch on tv. I cannot remember the plot, but for some reason some guy needs to box a bunch of aliens like some sort of intergalactic punch-out.

Oh wow, I have seen that. I haven't thought of that movie in at least 30 years, drat.

Boy Paul Satterfield was not a very convincing action star.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I want a movie set in the crossfire universe

I remember once watching the preview channel and seeing Crossfire coming up on cspan and getting more excited than I’d ever been in my life.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Ope, just gonna scoot past that gently caress you right there.

It was a joke about the whirly pop. The three people I’ve known who talked about them were always surprised that people didn’t use them to make popcorn, were vocal about how great they were, and were from Iowa.

It’s a localized Midwest thing best I can tell.

Hey, now, I'm from Chicago, I only live in Iowa.

For real, I'm sorry for lashing out at you. Yesterday was really bad, pain-wise, and I was in a mood. I shouldn't have said anything, but I did, and I'm sorry.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

I want a movie set in the crossfire universe

I remember once watching the preview channel and seeing Crossfire coming up on cspan and getting more excited than I’d ever been in my life.

I know you're talking about the board game and I don't watch that show, but I have a feeling there have been times where a movie set in the Crossfire the show's imagined universe would be fascinating.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grittybeard posted:

I know you're talking about the board game and I don't watch that show, but I have a feeling there have been times where a movie set in the Crossfire the show's imagined universe would be fascinating.

CROSS FIYAH

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

That was a 70s movie, actually.

Explorers was an 80s movie about a bunch of kids receiving designs to build a space ship. It also starred River Phoenix and Ethan Hawke in their first acting roles.

How is a 70s movie released in 1986?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Maybe Fiz was thinking that the movie starts in 1978 before David gets transported to 1986?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

No flight of the navigator was 70s. I didn’t know that either and had to look it up. I thought it was 80s too and explorers was like the competing film or whatever.

Edit: oh poo poo I’m confused I was right before ignore me

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

No Flight of the Navigator was released in 1986.

It's set in 1978 though.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091059/

Oh wow and that WAS Pee Wee Herman doing the voice of the ship

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

If we're gonna have to continue to see Star Wars everywhere I want them to at least make it interesting. Like Empire vs Predator. Have a movie where a squad of storm troopers is sent to figure out what happened at a remote outpost they lost contact with and they're all horrifically murdered.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Coruscant is taken over by terrorists and only 1 man with no shoes and no allies can save the empire...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was just weirdly reminded that Neverending Story got 2 sequels, with the 3rd featuring Jack Black as a villain.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Quiet Feet posted:

Have TFF's own Android Apocalypse direct it and call it Lord of the Wings.

I mean, just make a documentary of this guy and you're pretty much there.

As for 80's movies Tootsie is on Showtime right now and combined with Mr. Mom my views on gender roles were definitely set in a very peculiar way.

I would've also included Three's Company but that was a 70's show.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

seiferguy posted:

I was just weirdly reminded that Neverending Story got 2 sequels, with the 3rd featuring Jack Black as a villain.

The 2nd one starred Jonathan Brandis, the kid from Ladybugs (less said about this movie the better) and Seaquest!

He may or may not have died during autoerotic asphyxiation

T-Square
May 14, 2009

We just re-watched LotR like three weeks ago in a few bits and pieces. It definitely shows it’s age in a lot of parts, and I have to remind myself that Frodo being an insufferable dick is because of the ring and also that he’s like 18 years old and just doesn’t act as strongly as everyone else in my opinion, but c’mon that poo poo’s classic. Still going to re-watch it every year. Leave it alone. Prime already tried and ate poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FizFashizzle posted:

The 2nd one starred Jonathan Brandis, the kid from Ladybugs (less said about this movie the better) and Seaquest!

He may or may not have died during autoerotic asphyxiation

Dude, he hanged himself.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The studios remaking LOTR or Ghostbusters or whatever else you cling to from your younger years doesn’t take away that original thing. WB isn’t going to gather the original films up and light them on fire in the middle of the lot. Ignore the new dumb poo poo and move on with life.

I think that’s probably a big part of it actually; people will complain about reboots and remakes and then still go see whatever dreck they pumped out on opening weekend, and the cycle continues

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Freaquency posted:

The studios remaking LOTR or Ghostbusters or whatever else you cling to from your younger years doesn’t take away that original thing. WB isn’t going to gather the original films up and light them on fire in the middle of the lot.

Hasn't this kinda started happening with some stuff though with HBO Max and Netflix/etc? Nothing I care too much about, but there's some stuff you can't find anywhere to stream if you did care.

I mean yes everything still exists somewhere, but you expect me to own physical media these days?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

T-Square posted:

I have to remind myself that Frodo being an insufferable dick is because of the ring and also that he’s like 18 years old and just doesn’t act as strongly as everyone else in my opinion, but c’mon that poo poo’s classic.

It’s been awhile since I’ve read the books, but isn’t Frodo like 50 when the quest begins?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

re: flight of the navigator

this still slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBn548XsCXA

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

It’s been awhile since I’ve read the books, but isn’t Frodo like 50 when the quest begins?

Same as far as it's been a while and I can't completely recall, but I think the gist is hobbit years are different and he was portrayed as teenager/young adult. And then obviously becomes a youngish hobbit who has been through some poo poo fairly quickly.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Sorry, I meant Elijah Wood himself is 18 or 19 or something when they started shooting, and I feel like his acting is a little hammy and meh sometimes because of his young age

E: Frodo is an insufferable dick because of the ring and that’s part of the story, Elijah Wood has somewhat corny acting because he’s a tiny baby back then is what I’m getting at

T-Square fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 2, 2023

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Grittybeard posted:

Hasn't this kinda started happening with some stuff though with HBO Max and Netflix/etc? Nothing I care too much about, but there's some stuff you can't find anywhere to stream if you did care.

I mean yes everything still exists somewhere, but you expect me to own physical media these days?

HBO is moving things like Westworld to free streaming services such as Tubi, because they’ll get those sweet sweet ad dollars instead of whatever pittance people we’re giving them from their HBO bundled with Hulu or whatever. The only stuff that isn’t seeing the light of day is things like Batgirl which was shelved without ever being released. Even so, the studios know that there’s money to be made with stuff like that. Disney has been “opening the Disney vault” for years to great effect.

Of course if your tastes are significantly more niche than you’re going to have trouble finding what you want on a streaming service, but I also think you’re probably less likely to see your niche interest rebooted/remade.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

HBO moving things off their service is about paying royalties too. If they keep it on their service and someone watches it, now they have to pay some money out. If they ditch a bunch of things, then they don't have that liability. Most streaming services will probably move to that kind of model where they figure out exactly how much stuff they need to keep on to retain people, while limiting how much in royalties they need to pay out.

T-Square posted:

Sorry, I meant Elijah Wood himself is 18 or 19 or something when they started shooting, and I feel like his acting is a little hammy and meh sometimes because of his young age

E: Frodo is an insufferable dick because of the ring and that’s part of the story, Elijah Wood has somewhat corny acting because he’s a tiny baby back then is what I’m getting at

Yea, Elijah is 42 now, so he was 19 or so when they started filming.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

T-Square posted:

He has some really rough deliveries, yeah. In Fellowship, there's a line something like "But no one knows where the ring is, do they? Do they, Gandalf?" and he puts the emphasis in all the wrong places. Edit: He put the wrong emPHASis on the wrong syllABLE. :v:

Reminds me of Kim Cattrall doing the same in Star Trek VI, when she emphasizes "only" when saying "thrusters only while in spacedock."

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Sam is the best anyway

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

T-Square posted:

Oh yeah I agree. Wood spends like 6hrs of the bitchiest-looking pain and despair as possible.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Oh yeah I agree. Wood spends like 6hrs of the bitchiest-looking pain and despair as possible.

Lmao, yeah that’s what bothers me the most, the dumb fuckin faces he makes when he gets stabbed or hurt, but yeah he also has some weird rear end delivery like Timby said

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Sam is the best anyway

The lady and I are planning to be Sam and Rosie this year for Halloween after our watch through lol :3:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Was the whole thing we were told as kids about breakfast being the most important meal of the day just more propaganda from Big Grains? Breakfast is bullshit, it's only the most important meal of the day if you want to be a big ol' fat rear end.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

General Dog posted:

Was the whole thing we were told as kids about breakfast being the most important meal of the day just more propaganda from Big Grains? Breakfast is bullshit, it's only the most important meal of the day if you want to be a big ol' fat rear end.

I thought it was dinner that was crazy to be so big because we don't actually do much that requires energy in the evenings.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
A light breakfast, typically like a banana and/or granola bar, is pretty much the only thing I can eat that doesn't make me super full to the point where I skip or take a late lunch. Going out to eat breakfast usually makes it so I go the next 10-12 hours without needing to eat.

I do crave a good chicken fried steak every now and then though.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I have a kickass diner in my neighborhood and someday I'll do the power move of black coffee and meatloaf as my breakfast order.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I like a big breakfast. I eat less throughout the day when I do that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I’ve found what works for me in terms of weight loss is to just drink coffee and be hungry until lunch time, but I suppose the most important thing is to limit yourself to two reasonably sized meals for the day regardless of timing. When I take that third meal and any snacking out, it makes <2000 daily calories pretty doable.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

General Dog posted:

Have you considered that fried eggs and potatoes are really good though?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

i really like cuties, a banana, and coffee for breakfast. it really gets that power poo poo going.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

To be honest, my breakfast most days is a granola bar and water. I don't have time to make a real breakfast except on the weekends. One of my favorite meals is a big ol breakfast skillet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

2 scoops of protein, banana, peanut butter, oat milk.