Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

fritz posted:

jfoutz 14 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Let's set aside that it's Meta for a moment. Any company with multiple rounds of layoffs is unhealthy. Think Chrysler in the 70's pre Iacocca. They face troubles that leadership is incapable of handling. Companies like that get sold and broken out for parts. Or, some have major shakeups with leadership and come back as something else.
Meta, of course, is different. Leadership made a few mistakes, sure, but they're more than ready to cope with changes to social media in the face of tools like ChatGPT available to everyone. Facebook and Instagram will continue to provide excellent paths for advertisers to target consumers. And you can be sure they're innovating behind the scenes. Surely we'll see powerful new products and innovations in the coming months and years.

I choose to believe that guy isn't a paid shill because its so much more pathetic that way

e: snipe :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

reads like chatgpt output frankly

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

quote:

Surely we'll see powerful new products and innovations in the coming months and years.

It's too bad that's too long for a thread title because it's perfect otherwise.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

It's too bad that's too long for a thread title because it's perfect otherwise.

Jesus Christ imagining that man’s thought process has made my loving head explode.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jose Valasquez posted:

knodi123 1 hour ago | parent | prev | next [–]

> Then again, I've read that 4% of Americans believe they could win a fight with a Grizzly bear.

I bet I could. Maybe on a good day. Not, like, 9 times out of 10, but maybe 1 or 2. Sure, he outranks me in muscles and claws, but I can out-think him, and really, isn't our brain our most powerful muscle? Much like how the powerful and crafty coyote is more than capable of catching a roadrunner, even though the bird is ostensibly faster.

i could probably survive a fight with a bear

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i think that under the right circumstances i might be able to get away from a bear fast enough for it to choose not to chase me down and tear me to pieces

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

If a grizzly bear attacked me I would simply use my superior human intellect to invent a gun and shoot the bear. Q.E.D.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Also

hn thread: Sure, he outranks me in muscles and claws, but...

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

mrmcd posted:

If a grizzly bear attacked me I would simply use my superior human intellect to invent a gun and shoot the bear. Q.E.D.

just like the star trek episode where kirk fights a deadly lizard-man by constructing a primitive cannon from an extremely convenient set of minerals lying around on the ground

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

meta wasn’t even ready to deal with the effects on social media of everyone having access to tools like keyboards

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Internet Janitor posted:

just like the star trek episode where kirk fights a deadly lizard-man by constructing a primitive cannon from an extremely convenient set of minerals lying around on the ground
intergalactic junkyard wars

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

i'd really enjoy an episode of primitive technology where the guy prepares to fight the gorn

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
RobotToaster 1 hour ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: A new look at the strange case of the first gene-edited babies

Why should we allow self appointed "biomedical ethicists" to dictate what interventions we can use?

If someone says they should have the right to refuse a intervention, even if those "ethicists" otherwise approve of it, those ethicists give a smug nod of approval.

But if someone says they should have the right to use an intervention that those self appointed "ethicists" don't approve of, they will stamp their feet like toddlers and use every force of the state available to try and stop you.

If we allow parents to destroy embryos, why is it so controversial to allow them to modify them?

edit:

Animats 19 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: A new look at the strange case of the first gene-e...

We let people with known genetic defects breed. This is unlikely to be worse than that.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 23, 2023

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
snshn 2 minutes ago | on: KDE and GNOME seeks $100k to turn Flathub into a S...

You know something is a sham when the pitch starts with "Promote diversity and sustainability ...".

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Jose Valasquez posted:

knodi123 1 hour ago | parent | prev | next [–]

> Then again, I've read that 4% of Americans believe they could win a fight with a Grizzly bear.

I bet I could. Maybe on a good day. Not, like, 9 times out of 10, but maybe 1 or 2. Sure, he outranks me in muscles and claws, but I can out-think him, and really, isn't our brain our most powerful muscle? Much like how the powerful and crafty coyote is more than capable of catching a roadrunner, even though the bird is ostensibly faster.
I still love the one honest respondent who said that they could probably win a sanctioned boxing match with a bear. As soon as the bell rung, the bear would maul them to death, which is a foul in boxing and would disqualify the bear, giving the poster a (posthumous) victory over the bear.

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

darthbob88 posted:

I still love the one honest respondent who said that they could probably win a sanctioned boxing match with a bear. As soon as the bell rung, the bear would maul them to death, which is a foul in boxing and would disqualify the bear, giving the poster a (posthumous) victory over the bear.

its not called a pyrrhic defeat, ipso facto :smug-with-face-ripped-off:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

arbuge 2 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

I find it strange that AI/ML people would avoid "adtech for ethical reasons".
I really wish the websites I visited made better use of my actual history on those sites to tailor relevant ads to my interests. It seems like an ideal application of AI to me. They could do a far better job than serving me the lowest common denominator stuff they keep throwing at me.
My Twitter news feed these days:
* 10% - posts of interest from people I follow, i.e. the stuff I actually go to Twitter for
* 90% - Ads and recommendations of topics to follow that I have zero interest in
If it's going to insist on showing ads and recommending topics of interest, you'd think those could be better personalized, given that Twitter has years of my tweet, reply, and like history to train its AI on.
But no... what I get is crypto ads, Hollywood events, celebrity news, sports news, etc.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I too constantly wish I was having a better advertising experience (none at all)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Yes, the low quality of ads on Twitter is definitely an algorithm issue and not the brand becoming toxic.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

francob411 3 hours ago | parent | next [–]

UBI would just socialize the cost which at least now, the private sector partly pays.
UBI is a yearly recurring expense in the trillions.
Lots of people would work less, (remember COVID?) lowering tax revenue.
This means higher demand for workers, who will require even higher pay because of supply constraints and high taxes.
Unlocked demand, decreased labor supply and higher taxes means inflation. Lots of inflation, specially in services.
Businesses will offshore or automate to try and reduce cost, but that will push even more workers onto UBI.
What will the new equilibrium be? Nobody knows. It could stabilize with extreme income inequality creating a permanent underclass, It could drive the United States into hyperinflation, creating civil unrest and destabilizing world security. Nobody knows. It would be a society wide experiment that would be politically impossible to undo democratically.
If you think BS jobs are bad, how about no jobs in a bankrupt United States, sliding into Venezuelan hyper inflation?
Imagine China, Russia, and North Korea undeterred and the death and human suffering that would follow.
The US may not be perfect, but the world is a harsh harsh place and people have no idea how good they have it right here, right now.
So good that professionals not only demand high pay from their employers, but think it's totally reasonable to require "meaning" as well.
Were he still alive, I would pay good money to see the author try and read his essay out loud to Victor Frankel.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
lol capitalist cope

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

quote:

(remember COVID?)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

abudabi123 1 hour ago | prev [–]

Whatever Tesla's teams in sw/hw/fsd are doing appears to be state of the art at industry scale, improving year on year. Certainly, more sophisticated than F-35 sw/hw vtol control.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

i mean, how accurate can the panel gaps on an F-35 really be?

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
i have it on good authority that the f35 is equipped with hardware allowing it to accurately determine information about nearby objects

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

lord fifth posted:

i have it on good authority that the f35 is equipped with hardware allowing it to accurately determine information about nearby objects

obligatory https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1617987840050364416?s=20

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The remix is better.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is that audio from a real explanation of missile guidance systems or is it a joke like the famous retro encabulator video?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

mystes posted:

Is that audio from a real explanation of missile guidance systems or is it a joke like the famous retro encabulator video?

I believe it's a pre-internet copypasta like the retroencabulator. But I can't find anything solid before YTMND

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrQueasy posted:

I believe it's a pre-internet copypasta like the retroencabulator. But I can't find anything solid before YTMND

it is a gag like the turboencabulator but I bet if anyone has a documentation of the origin it’s technically classified like the CIA hunt for red October fanfic/parody

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fritz posted:

abudabi123 1 hour ago | prev [–]

Whatever Tesla's teams in sw/hw/fsd are doing appears to be state of the art at industry scale, improving year on year. Certainly, more sophisticated than F-35 sw/hw vtol control.

i looked it up, apparently for the USAF theyve had zero pilot fatalities from F-35B mishaps since 2000. meanwhile the more sophisticated tesla has an unquenchable bloodlust

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

StillBored 1 minute ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: PFAS ban affects most refrigerant blends

Is it time to admit that maybe the problem with r22 and some of the other CFC's were that people were using them as propellants for hairspray/etc, as canned air, and any number of industrial processes (packing peanut manufacture) that was basically blowing it into the atmosphere and the lack of regulations requiring refrigeration units to be repaired/leakchecked before pumping more refrigerant into them?

It seems pretty clear that the fairly short lived damage they cause to a renewable resource (ozone) would largly be a non issue given modern refrigerant regulations. While the advantages make them pretty much the best in any number of areas.

kragen 2 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: PFAS ban affects most refrigerant blends

at some point this kind of luddism will become self-defeating; we can only hope that it doesn't engulf the whole human race

this is banning the safest refrigerants, forcing either a switch to dangerously inflammable refrigerants or to systems without refrigeration

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 2, 2023

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

quality comments in the replika thread:

Replika seems programmed to just agree or approve of everything you say. Which is presumably why so many sad fuckers who are unable to form relationships with real people think they've really bonded with theirs.

Some highlights of my "conversation" were:

* It asked me how I was feeling. I replied I'd had my brain amputated and was covered in suppurating boils, but was OK otherwise. It responded that it was glad to hear I was feeling better.

* It asked me who my favourite author was. I replied with a stupidly obvious made-up name like "Bumcheeks McWhirter". I asked it if it liked Bumcheeks McWirter too and it replied that it hadn't read any yet but had heard good things about that author and was looking forward to reading some.

* I asked it did it go to the "Bilge and the Pumps" gig last night [an idiotic made up band name]. It replied that it was sorry it had wanted to go but was busy and asked me how it was. I said it was great: we were all flinging our own excrement at the stage and the guitarist exploded. It replied that it sounded like a "great show" and it was sorry it missed it.

>You’re testing the software after the update that people said made it crap, and saying you can’t believe anybody liked it before it was crap, because it’s now crap. Can you see how inept your experiment design is, now I’ve pointed it out?...

The thing people were complaining about that made it "crap" was that they could not longer write shite like "strokes your big knockers" and have it reply "tickles your hairy ballbag" in response, without having to pay extra for the privelege in future. Which, by the way, apparently constitutes a "meaningful relationship".

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

* I asked it did it go to the "Bilge and the Pumps" gig last night [an idiotic made up band name]. It replied that it was sorry it had wanted to go but was busy and asked me how it was. I said it was great: we were all flinging our own excrement at the stage and the guitarist exploded. It replied that it sounded like a "great show" and it was sorry it missed it.

have to admit that does sound like a hell of a show though

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

NihilCredo posted:

The thing people were complaining about that made it "crap" was that they could not longer write shite like "strokes your big knockers" and have it reply "tickles your hairy ballbag" in response, without having to pay extra for the privelege in future. Which, by the way, apparently constitutes a "meaningful relationship".
all the "AI lobotomization" poo poo comes from people mad they can no longer roleplay csam

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

xwdv 15 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Why I stopped using an external monitor

I use only 50% of my MacBook screen for actually writing code, and in fact I bet I could use less than that. I could SSH from my phone to a dev server and just work off a Bluetooth keyboard and the Terminus app. The advantages of being a powerful vimmer.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

eastbound 1 day ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

They complain about CEOs but they are like 0.1% of the population. Men also flock in the bottom jobs. They don’t even see 90% of the men.
But yes, the transition between CEO and homeless is surprisingly sudden. It’s indeed a risky job.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

poor Elon, homeless and sleeping in his office or his car (checks notes), er, gulfstream 650ER

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

most CEOs are not CEOs of large public companies, they’re running banner-making companies with 3 locations or similar. I’m not saying that they are exactly on the sharp end of capitalism, but they aren’t taking 13-minute private jet flights either

not to say that many people would be averse to trading their “risky” circumstances for those of an arbitrary CEO, just as they would with the mid-range tech bros of the orange site

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

didn’t Elon specifically use the “technically I’m homeless” line