Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Twincityhacker posted:

What was the last really cool alien race that Star Trek made? Like most shows try to have equivlents to the breakout hits of Vulcans and Klingons, but most of them don't manage to get there.

I have a soft spot for the Kelpians in Discovery.

The Kobali were interesting concept for one-episode aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
lol (bigtime picard spoilers for the new episode) gotta say the changelings look better when it's not Barely 90s CGI

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
also lol i saw the ending coming the minute i learned of "portal technology" maybe jean luc should have spent less time in books and more time playing a 200 year old valve software game as a kid

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Craig K posted:

lol (bigtime picard spoilers for the new episode) gotta say the changelings look better when it's not Barely 90s CGI

true, but the entire purpose of the great link in ds9 is unity. "the drop becomes the ocean, the ocean becomes the drop" etc.

the very notion of an extremist faction of changelings is completely antithetical to the concept

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

picture a cloud of piss floating in the swimming pool

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Clark Nova posted:

picture a cloud of piss floating in the swimming pool

picard works the same way

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

picard works the same way

*punches you in the face*
i'm not [watching no damned] picard

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I pick up Picard information through thread osmosis. Nice to know they ruined changelings lol

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This shits been foundering since day one!

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Beeftweeter posted:

true, but the entire purpose of the great link in ds9 is unity. "the drop becomes the ocean, the ocean becomes the drop" etc.

the very notion of an extremist faction of changelings is completely antithetical to the concept

It isn't a problem if they aren't part of the Great Link, but if they are, yeah that's a problem.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

sweet geek swag posted:

It isn't a problem if they aren't part of the Great Link, but if they are, yeah that's a problem.

worf literally says they are

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
With the whole seven of nine false rape accusation episode and neelix being a pedo does that mean that Voyager is the bad sex star trek?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Prurient Squid posted:

With the whole seven of nine false rape accusation episode and neelix being a pedo does that mean that Voyager is the bad sex star trek?

The seven of nine false accusation thing has a lot more to do with the false memory "recovery" from the satanic panic than it does rape.

But also yes to answer your question.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I definitely remember my ":shepface: what the gently caress did I just watch" reaction after the seven of nine episode, completely forgot about the false memory stuff since I was like 8 at the time

I still think "wow seven how could you make that guy run like an extremely suspicious lunatic and accidentally blow up his ship you've got some growing up to do" is a horrific moral but it's not as bad

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That's not really the moral though. The last seen is with the Doctor. It's stated very clearly in that scene.

quote:

It was my urge to experiment, my infatuation with improving myself, that led to this tragedy. I fancied myself a psychologist, a ship's counsellor. But I wasn't prepared for the complexities that come with such a responsibility. In my enthusiasm to help Seven of Nine, I lost my medical objectivity. I became a self-righteous advocate. I didn't stop to think for one second that I might be wrong. That mustn't happen again.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

There was disagreement in the Great Link about how to deal with Odo, though.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The Demilich posted:

I pick up Picard information through thread osmosis. Nice to know they ruined changelings lol

:same: clicking every spoiler so I can lol or more likely wince

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Dabir posted:

There was disagreement in the Great Link about how to deal with Odo, though.

disagreement at first, sure, but it is quite literally a deliberative body. once a decision was reached it was carried out, and all of the changelings are supposed to agree. even odo — again quite literally embodying a "one of the good ones" stereotype — starts defending the more fascist parts of the dominion, sometimes completely unprompted

that there would be something akin to a splinter group that is still somehow connected to the link to the point that odo can warn worf of what they are planning just doesn't make sense. changelings are shown to care about literally one thing in the entire universe: other changelings. they are also extremely fascist. they stamp out dissent with a galaxy sized boot

to nerf this is to nerf their entire characterization in DS9

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Beeftweeter posted:

disagreement at first, sure, but it is quite literally a deliberative body. once a decision was reached it was carried out, and all of the changelings are supposed to agree. even odo — again quite literally embodying a "one of the good ones" stereotype — starts defending the more fascist parts of the dominion, sometimes completely unprompted

that there would be something akin to a splinter group that is still somehow connected to the link to the point that odo can warn worf of what they are planning just doesn't make sense. changelings are shown to care about literally one thing in the entire universe: other changelings. they are also extremely fascist. they stamp out dissent with a galaxy sized boot

to nerf this is to nerf their entire characterization in DS9

I could see things going differently after they faced complete and utter defeat for the very first time. I’ll never know though because I stopped watching Picard when they yanked Icheb’s eyeball out.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I could see things going differently after they faced complete and utter defeat for the very first time. I’ll never know though because I stopped watching Picard when they yanked Icheb’s eyeball out.

it's possible, but i wouldn't trust these writers to handle it well at all

we are shown that they are not sending their best. even before the reveal it is obvious that there is something "wrong" with the people that are explicitly shown to be changelings

worf takes one out with a body slam, captures them, then later executes it with a phaser, in under a minute. this is specifically shown to literally not work in DS9: odo complains about starfleet hq zapping him with phasers all day in an attempt to be able to identify infiltrators. the martok changeling is able to fight off an entire hall of elite klingon warriors and is only defeated when all of them start shooting it with their disruptors. the infiltrator posing as an ambassador on the defiant morphs and hides before anyone can grab them

it's seriously lovely writing that misunderstands the source material and i hate it. but that's okay, i'll keep watching that garbage

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
No skin in the game since I'm skipping Picard but Odo was specified to be zapped by low level phasers, just enough to disrupt their shifting process. Mirror world Odo got got by a phaser, albeit a bajoran one

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

picard was such a great captain, it's a shame they never made a show about him

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Beeftweeter posted:

it's seriously lovely writing that misunderstands the source material and i hate it. but that's okay, i'll keep watching that garbage
[Posts dasharezone.jpg]

I quit Doctor Who during Capaldi's second season and it was for the better. Far quicker and easier to read a thread summary of how I would have been disappointed than actually sit through many hours of bad television.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Danaru posted:

No skin in the game since I'm skipping Picard but Odo was specified to be zapped by low level phasers, just enough to disrupt their shifting process. Mirror world Odo got got by a phaser, albeit a bajoran one

that's also true, but i think the mirror universe phasers were intended to be something like the previously discussed fajo disruptor (i.e. just a brutally savage weapon)

the martok changeling absorbs several dozen klingon disruptor hits, though, before he gets got. the ambassador changeling has to be killed by the defiant's loving warp core, and even that takes an agonizingly long time

in short these new changelings are scrub-tier

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

To say something positive there are some great lines in this episode

Worf: Beheadings are on Wednesday

Picard to Riker: Will, I think its time you called me number one

It's too bad its just cashing in on nostalgia, but I do like seeing the old cast interact, Stewart and Frakes play off each other so well and surprisingly Worf is a good fit for Raffi. Its not the worst trek and there's so many shows out right now its hard to get mad, just turn on SNW and chill out with another crew

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Beeftweeter posted:

that's also true, but i think the mirror universe phasers were intended to be something like the previously discussed fajo disruptor (i.e. just a brutally savage weapon)

the martok changeling absorbs several dozen klingon disruptor hits, though, before he gets got. the ambassador changeling has to be killed by the defiant's loving warp core, and even that takes an agonizingly long time

I guess you could memory beta some headcanon that changelings get incredibly fuckin hard to kill as they get older. MirrorOdo gets blasted cuz he's a youngin' and doesn't know how to disperse phaser energy.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ugh I haven't watched any Picard but I'm still a little sad they've decided to put their hands on DS9 as well

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

StashAugustine posted:

Ugh I haven't watched any Picard but I'm still a little sad they've decided to put their hands on DS9 as well

I’m more angry than anything else.

naem
May 29, 2011

Trixie Hardcore posted:

The reason I like Star Trek is because the majority of Starfleet officers and Federation citizens we see are good hearted try hards. Most sci-fi is very cynical and pessimistic about humanity and I like most sci-fi but I think the reason I like Star Trek above every other sci-fi property is that it’s optimistic and open hearted and celebrates diversity and cooperation. I don’t want to see a group of Starfleet officers completely abandon their moral centers and raid vulnerable people. Even if it means tolerating Neelix for seven seasons.

Powered Descent posted:

Y'know the thing about a guinea pig, he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'... until he bites ya.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Payndz posted:

[Posts dasharezone.jpg]

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 2, 2023

naem
May 29, 2011

OOPS all spies lmao

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

In The Way of the Warrior part 2 Odo is about to be stabbed by a Klingon and Bashir saves him and they acted like you could actually cut a changeling's head off

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I can't remember when but I swear there was a point where Odo got the two handed punch in the back and was knocked out, Odo might just be poo poo at being a changeling

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Oh my god when Riker says remove yourself from the bridge, you've killed us all, I'm like you're the loving captain, you gave the order, the real Riker would never shirk his responsibility as a captain. He would never be like look what you pestered me into. What kind of bullshit is that!

How are they so had at this

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, it's star trek. that's the mightiest attack you can make.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Paramount announced that Season 5 is the last season for Discovery and also that it isn’t coming out until next year

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Gotta buy time to film a new ending that can act as a series finale

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Danaru posted:

I can't remember when but I swear there was a point where Odo got the two handed punch in the back and was knocked out, Odo might just be poo poo at being a changeling

I think this actually happened when Odo was a solid. When he was a changeling he has stronger than humans strength.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Mulaney Power Move posted:

In The Way of the Warrior part 2 Odo is about to be stabbed by a Klingon and Bashir saves him and they acted like you could actually cut a changeling's head off

to be completely fair, both of them note that odo probably wasn't in any danger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Flipperwaldt posted:

Oh my god when Riker says remove yourself from the bridge, you've killed us all, I'm like you're the loving captain, you gave the order, the real Riker would never shirk his responsibility as a captain. He would never be like look what you pestered me into. What kind of bullshit is that!

How are they so had at this

the broader problem with it is that, no, he didn't almost get everyone killed

we know they're not gonna die. we know that jack isn't going to die, either. it's lazy writing with the stakes cranked to 11 because the writers don't know how to do anything else