Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Atlas's Truck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Slanderer posted:

I'm still annoyed they say that tritium capsule keychains are illegal because they're "toys", but tritium gunsights and compasses are totally fine because ???. Tritium illumination is insanely useful for so many things too (such as attaching them to your tent's zipper pull so you can find it in the dark)

I bought some tritium capsules back in November from this place https://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=105_34&products_id=994.
They came with a keyring attached, thought it's not shown in the picture on the web site.

Looks like they're sold out now though.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I'm sure I've got a tritium keyring somewhere. Probably stuck in a drawer somewhere but I remember having it for years and years and it still glowed (not brightly, but enough to find in the dark).

e: Yeah, like these. Which still seem to be perfectly legal in the UK.
https://edcgear.co.uk/collections/tritium-glow-fobs

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1630790985243406336?s=20

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rqwocltiIy1r0uzl6.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odlRp1vpsXk

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

"Customer declined all repairs"

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Kitamarink :3:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

raspurtin posted:

I bought some tritium capsules back in November from this place https://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=105_34&products_id=994.
They came with a keyring attached, thought it's not shown in the picture on the web site.

Looks like they're sold out now though.

United Nuclear is a site that some of my friends were convinced was a fed honeypot. It feels like buying anything from them will put you on a watch list.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/K2mL9BZ.gifv

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I remember this bit from Half-Life 2.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I got some tritium keychains for my partner for this last Christmas. I always get her something glowy… I’m honestly not sure where to go from here next year lol.

Anyway, I bought two of these:
https://tritiumkeychains.com/product/mega-tritium-fob-extra-large-tritium/

They came via Singapore Post in a couple of weeks.

She LOVES them. She said it makes it so much easier to find her keys in her cavernous purse which is awesome.

And yeah, it’s probably overpaying… but total $65 via PayPal for an awesome gift (2 of them) is a steal in my opinion

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there any notable radiation risk from those? They look pretty cool and I bet my wife would like it for the same reasons.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BlackIronHeart posted:

United Nuclear is a site that some of my friends were convinced was a fed honeypot. It feels like buying anything from them will put you on a watch list.

Nah, they are a safe place to buy some neat stuff. But they do keep rerecords by law of what they sell and to whom.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is there any notable radiation risk from those? They look pretty cool and I bet my wife would like it for the same reasons.

Nope. They are an Alpha Beta emitter and do not emit any significant amount of radiation, they are only a risk if you break the capsule, but the little plastic keychain ones are a glass ampule sealed inside thick plastic, you'd be hard pressed to crack it.

https://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=105_34&products_id=994

They last about 10 years or so. Tritium and Europium is being used in place of Radium for extremely long lived glow in the dark items.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 2, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tritium is a low energy beta emitter, alpha emission would require it to gain a proton.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 2, 2023

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

CommieGIR posted:

Nope. They are an Alpha emitter and do not emit any significant amount of radiation,

That is... a bit of a tall order for tritium...

e;f;b

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Deuterium is a beta emitter, alpha emission would require it to gain a proton.

You mean Tritium.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tunicate posted:

Deuterium is a beta emitter, alpha emission would require it to gain a proton.

True, my bad: Tritium is a Beta emitter, but its so incredibly weak it really won't penetrate far and most certainly won't penetrate human skin.

quote:

While tritium has several different experimentally determined values of its half-life, the National Institute of Standards and Technology lists 4,500 ± 8 days (12.32 ± 0.02 years).[7] It decays into helium-3 by beta decay as per this nuclear equation:

and it releases 18.6 keV of energy in the process. The electron's kinetic energy varies, with an average of 5.7 keV, while the remaining energy is carried off by the nearly undetectable electron antineutrino. Beta particles from tritium can penetrate only about 6.0 millimetres (0.24 in) of air, and they are incapable of passing through the dead outermost layer of human skin.[8] Due to their low energy compared to other beta particles, the amount of Bremsstrahlung generated is also lower. The unusually low energy released in the tritium beta decay makes the decay (along with that of rhenium-187) appropriate for absolute neutrino mass measurements in the laboratory (the most recent such experiment being KATRIN).

The low energy of tritium's radiation makes it difficult to detect tritium-labeled compounds except by using liquid scintillation counting.

:doh: I was mixing up Radium's Alpha decay pattern with Tritium which is a beta decay.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 2, 2023

Buce
Dec 23, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

fun party game for little kids. can play jump rope.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cythereal posted:

I remember this bit from Half-Life 2.

:hmmyes:

I instinctively started looking around for an oil drum and a chunk of plywood

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
United Nuclear has been selling tritium keychain things for like 20 years, i don't see how they could be illegal

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

BlackIronHeart posted:

Oh poo poo, and I bought all that uranium for my backyard breeder reactor too...

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Holy crap, I didn’t know they were that much $ at UN… seems like I got a deal then. The keychain itself is really nice looking metal. I got one green and one blue which are the colors they said glow the brightest.

I just looked at them again and they’re brighter than I thought they’d be. In a fully lit room all I have to do to see them glow is cup my hands around them a little.

I’m going to have to get some for myself lol

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

`Nemesis posted:

United Nuclear has been selling tritium keychain things for like 20 years, i don't see how they could be illegal

My (limited) understanding is they're illegal to sell without a specific license, which they don't generally give out for "frivolous" items, not that they're illegal to own.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

senrath posted:

My (limited) understanding is they're illegal to sell without a specific license, which they don't generally give out for "frivolous" items, not that they're illegal to own.

Tritium keychains and Tritium is legal to own. Its not legal to SELL without a special license.

There are also limits to how much of it you can stockpile, the same applies to Uranium. You can legally own non-enriched and natural uranium, but you are legally limited by the NRC General License to own less than 7kg. And you are not legally allowed to modify it (i.e. crush up Uranium or or Uranium metal and extract it.) Hell, you can legally own Yellowcake if you so choose, as long as its pre-enriched. (Yellowcake Uranium usually being the first steps after pulverizing and chemically extracting the Uranium from ore before its combined with Hydrofluoric Acid for enrichment)

Hell, you can buy old Tritium exit/safety signs on ebay. I have one, they are neat, still glows well too.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 2, 2023

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The only radiation risk would be if you broke it open and drank it.

BlackIronHeart posted:

To be entirely fair, they sell enough poo poo that most normal people would think are illegal to have that it would be a pretty good guess. Given you can buy enough lab glass to Break your Bad, samples of basically every element with a halflife longer than a year, enough radiation sources to calibrate the lab grade radiation meter you also bought from them, and authentic can-of-sunshine nuclear glass, I can think of a few agencies that would be interested in knowing who bought certain items from them.

P.S. Trinitie is rad and everyone should own a piece.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Years ago, I had a Static Master record cleaner that used Polonium-210 to ionize the air above the record and make the dust easier to get off. Worked pretty well.

I see they're still available, but hellaciously more expense than they used to be.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Years ago, I had a Static Master record cleaner that used Polonium-210 to ionize the air above the record and make the dust easier to get off. Worked pretty well.

I see they're still available, but hellaciously more expense than they used to be.

Rad records cost a bit more, ‘tis true.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Nah most records have a little over 6 rad

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've had enough radiation at this point that the atomic tickle from a tritium keychain in my pocket is not going to matter.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah afaik the only radiation danger from one of those is if you like, chewed it up and swallowed it, and even in that case the swallowing a mouthful of broken borosilicate glass covered in phosphorus is still the more harmful thing

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Is this an autoflogger at a BDSM party?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the answers. I went ahead and ordered one. Was gonna order two but the subtotal was 66.60 and I just couldn’t do it.

Edit:vvv Yeah I meant total. Don’t want that evil on me. Or my credit card statement.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 3, 2023

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Thanks for the answers. I went ahead and ordered one. Was gonna order two but the subtotal was 66.60 and I just couldn’t do it.

This was actually the total to ship (to Colorado at least). Not sub total. :rock::black101:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

e: got this on a shirt for my father in law after he hit a gas line 4" below the surface of his yard.

Power move. Did he take it in good humour?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

raggedphoto posted:

My wife is in week 14 of recovery from foot surgery, a tendon had to be tied back together after dropping a kitchen knife on her foot. A two second mistake has put her out of work for 4 months and required surgery + months of PT.

I was cooking dinner tonight, whipped out the ol kitchen knife as usual, remembered your story, and slowed the gently caress down. Wishing her a full recovery.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

The truck lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, turns its wheels trying to turn itself over. But it can't. Not with out your help. But you're not helping. Why is that

Because it weighs 200 loving tons.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
All you need is a very, very, very long lever.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Mozi posted:

All you need is a very, very, very long lever.

Or a fuckin Forklift Certified Dermatologist.

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
I gifted a united nuclear tritium keychain for my brother who works in nuclear medicine, he taped a couple of dosimeters to it for fun and estimated "roughly 3 cGy/year at the surface" from bremsstrahlung x-rays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Deteriorata posted:

Holy crap you had one of those? Applied Science did a video about how bonkers it is. To create it, they shoot some poo poo at it that transmutates the inside to Polonium 210. That way it’s never exposed to air… I’ll see if I can find the video