Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Shame they went with vcache on only one CCD leading to this goofy stuff. I was kinda hoping for the 3d cache bump for games and also having the big pile of threads for stuff like VMs and some other work stuff I do but this stuff is a pretty hacky workaround.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So, like every other CPU release?

Cygni posted:

I feel like AMD has primarily limited their parts and established segmentation with core numbers the last few generations, especially with Zen4 mostly boosting as high as it can and bouncing off the temp limiter most of the time. But of course... those core limitations were likely artificial for the 6/4 core parts themselves, so.
Market segmentation is a gently caress and AMD are as guilty of it as Intel are.

alex314 posted:

Some people also need all the cores. If you've got cash, and all you do is either game or do "light HEDT" workloads then 7950x3d sounds amazing. But as Steve mentioned it's better to wait until April to decide. Even if one CCD part is bad then 16core will have better software support.
This is not really true.
Outside of synthetic benchmarking (and HPC), getting completely linear scaling out of more cores - even while doing things like compiling an OS or ~50000 pieces of third-party software for it (both of which I do semi regularly) doesn't scale linearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Tell me about DDR5 memory overclocking. When there's one module with Hynix M dies that's clocked fairly high and tight, if I were to take a DDR5-4800 stick with the same Hynix M dies, I could more or less transfer the timings over? Or does the PMIC throw a curve ball here? This is mostly about making some Kingston DDR5-4800 ECC sticks faster.

As far as I'm aware, there's not much binning happening with DDR5 yet, and most sticks with the same modules should have the same overclocking headroom. I've seen plenty of people overclock DDR5-4800 to really high speeds. That said, I don't know how ECC affects things.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I didnt realize the console business was this big a part of AMDs revenue

https://twitter.com/tomshardware/status/1630951327948759046

Sony became AMD's largest customer last year, accounting for 16% of the company's revenue as its PlayStation 5 increased its lead over competitors. Sravan Kundojjala, a semiconductor industry analyst, noted that if Xilinx results are excluded, Sony accounts for 20% of AMD's revenue, probably making it the company's largest customer in recent history.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
My assumption is its a high revenue but lower margin than anything else. It's a guaranteed market.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
they're also (finally!) doing a ps5 redesign with a launch scheduled for september

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

kliras posted:

they're also (finally!) doing a ps5 redesign with a launch scheduled for september

Really? I'd be surprised by that, just because they only recently did the 6nm shrink and associated smaller heatsink.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Twerk from Home posted:

Really? I'd be surprised by that, just because they only recently did the 6nm shrink and associated smaller heatsink.
it seems to exist partly to replace the disc/digital system with one sku with an optional optical disc drive you install as its own module. should make things much easier for everyone

the 6nm shrink was probably more of a "might as well" update, especially since it helped bring down the weight at a time where package volume/weight might have been significant for shipping

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

kliras posted:

that would be the third one, I think.

e:fb

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Re: Consoles and AMD, it's been big for them for quite a while. If you wanna go back and dig though financials, you're looking for the "Semicustom" division.

In other news, Phoronix has put out 7950X3D benchmarks. There are three take-aways for me, when looking at the sci/eng workloads.

One: if you're doing CFD, get thyself an X3D chip.

Two: fuckin' lol at Intel burning 2.7X the power to do maybe 20% worse?

Three: To my surprise, the GROMACS workload, which is most similar to what I task my machines with, does not show an impressive uplift from vcache. I might just go with 7950Xs in my next upgrade cycle.

Full article: https://www.phoronix.com/review/amd-ryzen9-7950x3d-linux/11

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

SwissArmyDruid posted:

that would be the third one, I think.

e:fb
those were just interior revisions, this is a genuine redesign of the entire console. i don't know whether they'll finally call it the ps5 slim, but it's not unlikely. might minimize confusion for people wanting to buy one if nothing else

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

FuturePastNow posted:

XBox Game Bar thinks Discord is a game and I've got that running 24/7 so I guess I'd just never have that second chiplet lol

That's not how it works. 1) It'll need to be registered in that driver with a core type preference. 2) If for some reason Discord was registered as preferring cache it would be parked in the cache ccd. 'Parking' is essentially setting processor affinity for that process. If it is registered as preferring cache then the process will stay in cores 0-7 (or 0-15 I guess with HT) and never migrate to the other CCD.

The parking is a fine solution except if there is some game out there that like cache and can actually saturate more then 8 cores with threads.

Anyways, video from a server guy explaining parking in more detail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omTigqfWNu0

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 1, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

mdxi posted:

Re: Consoles and AMD, it's been big for them for quite a while. If you wanna go back and dig though financials, you're looking for the "Semicustom" division.

In other news, Phoronix has put out 7950X3D benchmarks. There are three take-aways for me, when looking at the sci/eng workloads.

One: if you're doing CFD, get thyself an X3D chip.

I have a 12700KF now, but man, that is really tempting (as someone that does CFD modeling as a side-consulting gig)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mdxi posted:

There are three take-aways for me, when looking at the sci/eng workloads.

a HPC friend of mine says they're getting a ton of the 1gb cache epyc racks as soon as they get their hands on them because they're just insane for certain workloads and can't believe it took so long for a manufacturer to deliver that poo poo

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I decided the fomo was real and picked up a 5800X3D at $309. I have a 5800X so it won't be a huge upgrade, but it's not a waste since I can put that in my other AM4 board which has a 1700X. The first gen ryzens aren't included in Windows 11 support because windows 11 support is arbitrary. The 1700X may end up as a VM server when I upgrade those.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rexxed posted:

I decided the fomo was real and picked up a 5800X3D at $309. I have a 5800X so it won't be a huge upgrade, but it's not a waste since I can put that in my other AM4 board which has a 1700X. The first gen ryzens aren't included in Windows 11 support because windows 11 support is arbitrary. The 1700X may end up as a VM server when I upgrade those.

If you ever wanted to, it's really easy to install Win11 on "unsupported" CPUs, especially if you are the type of person who knows what a VM server is. Source, I use a 1700 as a VM server/testbed with win11 :v:

But I'm also the sort of freak that tested the limits of Win11 by installing it on first gen Bulldozer and even Llano, so.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cygni posted:

If you ever wanted to, it's really easy to install Win11 on "unsupported" CPUs, especially if you are the type of person who knows what a VM server is. Source, I use a 1700 as a VM server/testbed with win11 :v:

But I'm also the sort of freak that tested the limits of Win11 by installing it on first gen Bulldozer and even Llano, so.

Yeah, I've been testing 11 on a haswell machine, so I'm aware. I just figure I'll end up doing some possible future proofing for the potential issues MS will cause after Windows 10 support ends in October of 2025. My current VM servers are all on VMWare ESXi; one's an FX8300, and I have two LGA1366 supermicro boards with dual 6 core xeons. Those are roughly like a first gen core i7 or something, though, so not that great. That's all pretty old stuff, though, so the 1700X might end up replacing one of them eventually. So far the hardware has been holding up on all of them since 2015-2016, although I think there's one fan going bad and a disk started going bad a little while ago that I'm about to swap out for an SSD. None of these VM servers do a lot of heavy lifting.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rexxed posted:

I decided the fomo was real and picked up a 5800X3D at $309. I have a 5800X so it won't be a huge upgrade, but it's not a waste since I can put that in my other AM4 board which has a 1700X.

Are we all going the same route? replace "1700x" with "2600x" and this is exactly my situation (also I play games that will definitely benefit A LOT from the extra cache).

After hearing that 5800x3ds are not produced anymore so what's left in retail channels is all we're going to get, and seeing that there's been no clearance sale with the new 3d chips release (and it costs now about what a 5800x costed last year - I could've waited until the new 7800X3D comes out in April, but by then there might be no 5800x3ds left...), I hedged my bets and got one now, considering I just upgraded my GPU for a truly disgusting amount of money and I'm not going to also spend the full amount for a new mobo+new cpu+ddr5 ram right now.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Rexxed posted:

The first gen ryzens aren't included in Windows 11 support because windows 11 support is arbitrary.

I had a 1600 before I upgraded to a 7700x, and it took Win11 just fine. That motherboard, an Asus something, received a BIOS update a day or two before Win 11 launched specifically to support it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I've been looking for the promised bundles/price cuts, something for the non 3D cpu's and all I could find was newegg giving some lovely game with 7950X. Is that all? no price cuts? no nothing?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Cygni posted:

I'd read that there were hardware instructions that had to be done at a software level if you had one of those gen chips (I can't remember the exact nomenclature but it had something to do with security) which is why gen 1 ryzens weren't "officially" supported - they work, but their performance was garbage. Did I misinterpret or was that a weird edge case that's unlikely to come up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There was a pretty good bundle with a 7700X on newegg but it sold out within a few hours of going live. There are a handful of bundles for the 7600X that discount the price by between $50 - $75, but none of them are particularly good deals due to only including motherboards and/or ram that were overpriced to begin with.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Volguus posted:

I've been looking for the promised bundles/price cuts, something for the non 3D cpu's and all I could find was newegg giving some lovely game with 7950X. Is that all? no price cuts? no nothing?

IIRC, the msrp on the 7950x was lowered by like $100.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Kibner posted:

IIRC, the msrp on the 7950x was lowered by like $100.

Hmm, here in Canukistan, as per ca.pcpartpicker.com, it seems that retailers didn't get the memo.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Volguus posted:

Hmm, here in Canukistan, as per ca.pcpartpicker.com, it seems that retailers didn't get the memo.

:shrug: The non-X3D version's MSRP was supposed to drop and the X3D version was supposed to slide in at the original's MSRP.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

ChickenWing posted:

I'd read that there were hardware instructions that had to be done at a software level if you had one of those gen chips (I can't remember the exact nomenclature but it had something to do with security) which is why gen 1 ryzens weren't "officially" supported - they work, but their performance was garbage. Did I misinterpret or was that a weird edge case that's unlikely to come up.

The Asus something board I mentioned is a Prime B-350 Plus. It was a first gen. board. One of those to where if I wanted to upgrade to a 3rd gen. Ryzen it was a one-way trip with the BIOS update, and even then it was hit or miss.

I had no issues at all with Win 11 on a 1600. Main reason I upgraded as I did was that Asus board sucked with the memory timings. I never could get XMP to run stable.

For those that have access to a Micro Center, they have a bundle that includes a 7900x, Asus motherboard, and 32 gig DDR5-6000 for $600, or drop it down to a 7700x for $500 (MSI motherboard on this one). These are in-store only is the major downside.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Koskun posted:

I had no issues at all with Win 11 on a 1600. Main reason I upgraded as I did was that Asus board sucked with the memory timings. I never could get XMP to run stable.

well poo poo that explains a whole lot - I've got the same processor (and am also upgrading soon) and an MSI b350 and man oh man the memory for that bastard has given me no end of headaches

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm still not sure whether go red or blue this time, and all that stops me from getting Ryzen 7... is my lovely history with x370 and R7-1700. I'll probably go with AMD since I like the power efficiency they deliver, or just decide to keep 3700x as my main system for a bit more. I guess there's zero chance for new chipsets to be launched this year?

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

alex314 posted:

I guess there's zero chance for new chipsets to be launched this year?

A620 should be along very shortly, but the A series have been "the CPU is your chipset" throughout Ryzen's life. So that's really to say that entry-level motherboards should be out this year.

The actual first-gen AM5 chipsets are already here and are a whopping 5 (X670) or 4 (B650) months old.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The memory controller in the zen/zen+ chips was a bit poo poo, and there's likely nothing wrong with your motherboard if you want to upgrade it to zen 3.

I moved from a zen+ with RAM that couldn't do more than 2866mhz to zen 3 with 3600CL16 memory on the same B450 motherboard and it runs fine now.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There was a pretty good bundle with a 7700X on newegg but it sold out within a few hours of going live. There are a handful of bundles for the 7600X that discount the price by between $50 - $75, but none of them are particularly good deals due to only including motherboards and/or ram that were overpriced to begin with.

they restocked it the next day and I was luckily able to jump on that.

price was good enough that I don't regret missing out on 3D and even if I decided to wait till next month I know analysis paralysis and indecisiveness would cause me to not end up buying it anyway. And the bundle sounds like a nice enough upgrade from my coffee lake setup

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

TorakFade posted:

Are we all going the same route? replace "1700x" with "2600x" and this is exactly my situation (also I play games that will definitely benefit A LOT from the extra cache).

After hearing that 5800x3ds are not produced anymore so what's left in retail channels is all we're going to get, and seeing that there's been no clearance sale with the new 3d chips release (and it costs now about what a 5800x costed last year - I could've waited until the new 7800X3D comes out in April, but by then there might be no 5800x3ds left...), I hedged my bets and got one now, considering I just upgraded my GPU for a truly disgusting amount of money and I'm not going to also spend the full amount for a new mobo+new cpu+ddr5 ram right now.

Apparently we are. I'd planned to coast by with my 3600 until Zen 5 or Intel's 14x00 series were released, but I need a new GPU. Benchmarks indicate it would bottleneck any of the new ones, so I settled for a 5800X3D rather than having to pay for a whole new mobo and RAM.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
The 5800x3d was a night and day upgrade for me coming from a 3700x

Especially since I play a lot of indie early access jank, sims, and 4x

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA1LvwZYxCM

7900X3D finds itself badly positioned versus the top end 7950X3D/13900K, the better value for productivity 7950X, and the better value for gaming 5800X3D/anything released this gen.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ChickenWing posted:

It really is arbitrary afaik, many 6th and 7th gen intel CPUs/motherboard chipsets support the hardware features that Windows 11 wants but are excluded from their list of supported CPUs. My guess is that unsupported CPUs will be able to run it until MS does something, sometime, and then we'll see what happens. Doing small business IT the only upside is that some companies have been clinging to 3rd and 4th gen intel desktops with hard drives and I've let them all know they'll need to upgrade those between now and 2025 which helps (forces) them to plan for upgrades. SSDs will probably be more noticeable improvements to their day to day Word/Excel/Edge usage than the CPUs, however.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA1LvwZYxCM

7900X3D finds itself badly positioned versus the top end 7950X3D/13900K, the better value for productivity 7950X, and the better value for gaming 5800X3D/anything released this gen.

Yeah that's a part that simply doesn't need to exist. Cache-money flagship sure whatever and then the gamer part everyone is anticipating but slapping X3D on the middle child is ???

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Seamonster posted:

Yeah that's a part that simply doesn't need to exist. Cache-money flagship sure whatever and then the gamer part everyone is anticipating but slapping X3D on the middle child is ???

It exists because it saves some chips from the trash bin.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

also exists because marketing psychology has found that a bizarrely high amount of people can be upsold into these "no mans land" upper mid-tier products in any given cateogry, probably because they rationalize it as better than the frugal entry level but NOT splurging for the highest tier thing

ive done it too, and im not really judging for these types of things anyway because we are just talkin' adult toys

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cygni posted:

also exists because marketing psychology has found that a bizarrely high amount of people can be upsold into these "no mans land" upper mid-tier products in any given cateogry, probably because they rationalize it as better than the frugal entry level but NOT splurging for the highest tier thing

ive done it too, and im not really judging for these types of things anyway because we are just talkin' adult toys

It's perfect. The thing we might have had to throw out becomes the thing we can upsell on ;)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Stanley Pain posted:

It's perfect. The thing we might have had to throw out becomes the thing we can upsell on ;)

7900X3D is in no way the product of throw-away anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

Did you see the benchmarks? It still is a hell of a performer, and often comes close to or ties the more expensive part for cheaper. Sure, the 5800X3D might keep pace with it in some areas but I can totally see why someone might feel this is a better deal. The real test is how the 7800x3d looks when it comes out in April, but this is hardly "a waste of sand"