Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

thrawn527 posted:

That review sounds weird, because the visit to Bo-Katan sounds exactly like the first one, so I think they may have just gotten the order confused and they only visit her once.

Or maybe this scene may have been re-edited and tacked onto the current episode at the last minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I like the theory that Yoda speaks the way he does because that's just what the language was like when he was born 900 years ago. All the other members of his species we see are either younger (like Yaddle) or shown in stories that take place far in the past, so are translated into a modern dialect along with all the other characters.

Palpatine also starts dipping into Yoda-speak when he christens Vader ("A powerful Sith, you will become"), so it would make sense if he's performing some ancient rite that uses outdated grammar.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yoda's species also appears to have a very slow growth rate (Grogu is 50 and still basically a toddler). Sort of makes me curious what their civilization is like

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 2, 2023

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I liked the hyperspace whales, have we seen them before anywhere?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I liked the hyperspace whales, have we seen them before anywhere?

Twice in Rebels. The second time was in the finale, and their appearance was very important.

There's a write up on them here, including why them showing up now might be an important Easter Egg.

https://gizmodo.com/mandalorian-space-whales-rebels-easter-egg-ahsoka-1850174036

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Robot Style posted:

Palpatine also starts dipping into Yoda-speak when he christens Vader ("A powerful Sith, you will become"), so it would make sense if he's performing some ancient rite that uses outdated grammar.

Just like going to church. Throw some thees and thous in there. Why say "listen to me" you can say "I say unto you, hear my words so that you may understand."

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Did anyone else catch that the pirates are bad at counting? Just an odd thing to throw in.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yaddle disappears between Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. Tales of the Jedi gives the explanation that Dooku kills her in a lightsaber duel after she follows him to a meeting with Sheeve after Qui-Gon is killed

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Did anyone else catch that the pirates are bad at counting? Just an odd thing to throw in.

they need HONDO OHNAKA to teach them how to count so they can MAKE HONDO SOME MONEY!

Seriously, introducing a gang of space pirates as antagonists and not bringing in Hondo for a visit would be such a missed opportunity

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
At this point I think Hondo was on the downtrend of his career. He turns up in Rebels with little of anything and has to rely on them (Ezra) for support.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

DiomedesGodshill posted:

I thought one only took a hit and peeled off instead of outright crashing and/or exploding?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Wait, what do you mean? The dogfight? I know he said they had 3 fighters (I assumed including himself), and then the surprise other 3 fighters showed up, meaning there were 6. And then I tried counting how many Mando killed (5), leaving the 1 leader left to communicate with the pirate base ship, which checks out to me. But I admit I may have missed something and miscounted myself. I didn't go back and rewatch it or anything, so this is from memory.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, really? I never knew that. I always thought it stuck.

It did, the actor shot that scene as a bit for a talk show or something.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jerkface posted:

The Pirates were flying R-41 starchasers from Tie Fighter, which is a touch I loved

The Starchaser in TIE FIghter had 4 engines, but I will accept this as a variant.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Madurai posted:

The Starchaser in TIE FIghter had 4 engines, but I will accept this as a variant.

The overall design is also not 1 to 1 with the starchaser but its so close in look that it instantly felt like a reference to me. I wonder if there is an actual ship thats been in media that is closer to the look

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, what do you mean? The dogfight? I know he said they had 3 fighters (I assumed including himself), and then the surprise other 3 fighters showed up, meaning there were 6. And then I tried counting how many Mando killed (5), leaving the 1 leader left to communicate with the pirate base ship, which checks out to me. But I admit I may have missed something and miscounted myself. I didn't go back and rewatch it or anything, so this is from memory.

Yeah. The pirate king mentioned that Mando only blew up four fighters.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The pirate king looked like a Muppet covered I seaweed.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

DiomedesGodshill posted:

I think that was a reference to the pirates killed on Navarro

Arc Hammer posted:

One of the prop guys had a lot of tinsel after the holidays and said "it's free real estate"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Jerkface posted:

The overall design is also not 1 to 1 with the starchaser but its so close in look that it instantly felt like a reference to me. I wonder if there is an actual ship thats been in media that is closer to the look

Well, Starchasers showed up in Force Unleashed, does that count? Probably not. :v:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Vinylshadow posted:

I think that was a reference to the pirates killed on Navarro

Oh, yeah, I think he was talking about the gun fight. But then it is a bit weird he doesn't give a poo poo about the guys he just lost in the dogfight.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Arc Hammer posted:

We're definitely seeing that dude again, no way they make such a fun puppet monster villain if it was a one off that could have been a voice over the space radio.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

Oh, yeah, I think he was talking about the gun fight. But then it is a bit weird he doesn't give a poo poo about the guys he just lost in the dogfight.

Pirate logic might be "the fighters I lost are acceptable since they were trying to kill him in turn, but the guys on the ground were just looking for a bar and were murdered for it"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I get that the first episode of the season has to set up a lot of plot points, but this one didn’t do a very good job of that. Just feel very aimless.

Also, does Dinn have to be an expert at everything? It’s not enough that he’s a quick gun and an an elite fighter pilot; he’s also apparently semi-capable at droid repair?

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I guess. Just awkward writing. :shrug:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

General Dog posted:

I get that the first episode of the season has to set up a lot of plot points, but this one didn’t do a very good job of that. Just feel very aimless.

Also, does Dinn have to be an expert at everything? It’s not enough that he’s a quick gun and an an elite fighter pilot; he’s also apparently semi-capable at droid repair?

The guy obviously has some technical skill. He was not only repairing his armor in Season 1, he rebuilt his entire ship from scraps with Kwills help.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

General Dog posted:

I took it as him using his "general electronics maintenance" skill on his character sheet that he has as a guy who has to fix his ship and gizmos while out on his own, and trying to apply it to the Droid Repair specialty with pretty much the opposite of success.

I mean if you look at the outcome it's one of those "Hey, GM, I'm not trained but can I roll for it? -Okay, but if you fumble it'll be really bad" situations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

thats just par for the course for cool guys in star wars: han and chewie do be repairing everything themselves (sometimes poorly)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Burning_Monk posted:

The guy obviously has some technical skill. He was not only repairing his armor in Season 1, he rebuilt his entire ship from scraps with Kwills help.

He also outflew a bounty hunter in a smaller and faster ship in S1 as well

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Jerkface posted:

thats just par for the course for cool guys in star wars: han and chewie do be repairing everything themselves (sometimes poorly)

That’s kind of the problem- that we never really see Dinn overwhelmed or frazzled or have a dumb idea they way we often see from Han. I think the fact you can’t see his face is part of it- despite some good physical acting on the part of the guys who wear the armor, you very rarely really get to see him have an “oh poo poo” reaction to anything. Best you get are a few mildly irritated made-up cusses.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I figured plenty of people have some level of droid knowledge considering their ubiquity. Like meeting someone that knows how to use a computer today

And sometimes you need some weird gremlin to help you out with some more advanced issues

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I thought they were gonna kill the turtlecroc and then cut it open to pull out the one or two Mandos who got eaten, since we know their armor is super tough and can withstand being digested for a long time.

Then Din blasted the thing's abdomen with explosives, so welp.

swickles posted:

With all the pirates in the first episode of Mando, anyone else hoping we get a live action Hondo at some point?

Larryb posted:

He’s voiced by Jim Cummings so getting the actor back wouldn’t be difficult. Maybe they could pull a Darth Vader where Jim continues to do the voice but there’s someone else in the actual costume (or just make him CG)

:eng101: Technically we already have a live-action Hondo. Jim Cummings is in full prosthetics and wardrobe in a short pre-ride video in the Smuggler's Run attraction at Disney.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yea most Star Wars protagonists seem to know how to do basic repairs to things like droids and ships. Its just one of those things.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don’t have a problem with Din having some rudimentary droid repair knowledge, but I do have a problem with him being the first person to have the idea of reviving this droid that’s apparently a planetary hero and then successfully doing so (albeit with unexpected complications).

Like, either Din figured out something all the king’s horses and all the king’s men couldn’t, or else the townspeople turned the robot into a statue without even attempting to recharge his battery first.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 2, 2023

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Was the show always this bad?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Was the show always this bad?

Season 1 was really good. Season 2 started to tail spin. Book of Boba Fett was where the engine caught fire. And now we're here.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

General Dog posted:

I don’t have a problem with Din having some rudimentary droid repair knowledge, but I do have a problem with him being the first person to have the idea of reviving this droid that’s apparently a planetary hero and then successfully doing so (albeit with unexpected complications).

Like, either Din figured out something all the king’s horses and all the king’s men couldn’t, or else the townspeople turned the robot into a statue without even attempting to recharge his battery first.

If only Carl Weathers had thought to do that. Then he could have his hero bot be the new sheriff too.

Also wasn't the self destruct meant to be used so that IG-11 couldn't be recovered? Whoops the manufacturer hosed up.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Nothing in Mando S3E1 was as egregious as anything in BOBF. Compared to Andor it was a step back because the script, plotting, editing was not that tight in episode 1 but it remained as charming as S1 and S2.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
I really like this show, it's not great... it's fun!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Nothing in Mando S3E1 was as egregious as anything in BOBF. Compared to Andor it was a step back because the script, plotting, editing was not that tight in episode 1 but it remained as charming as S1 and S2.

Eh, it kinda had some lingering BOBF energy in that it was a series of scenes where Boba Fett Din Jarin goes somewhere, asks for something, is told to gently caress off, say "I'm sorry to have bothered you" and then leaves. For 45 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Eh, it kinda had some lingering BOBF energy in that it was a series of scenes where Boba Fett Din Jarin goes somewhere, asks for something, is told to gently caress off, say "I'm sorry to have bothered you" and then leaves. For 45 minutes.

Yeah and the pirates show up and are basically established as “these guys aren’t important or any kind of credible threat to our protagonist, but please expect them to be a nuisance for Din and for you, the viewer, over the course of the season.”