Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Poopy Palpy posted:

I got the tuner cube, tried to use it once or twice, but a real problem was defining what happens when your time runs out. In a 2 player game of chess you can just lose, but in a multiplayer euro game you can't just drop a player, they're explicitly not designed for that.

You use the count up function and say whoever has the most time taken (or whoever has more than 50% more time taken than the fastest player) cannot win, or loses 7VP or similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
If you have to use timers to enforce reasonable play time, I feel like the competition Scrabble approach might work. There, you have a 25-minute standard allotment, then take a -10 point penalty for every minute (or part thereof) that you use over the limit. Adjust points as necessary for different games. Additionally, you might choose a nonlinear function so that the penalty doesn't end up being too overly oppressing, e.g. -1VP for every two minutes to start, then -1VP every five minutes after ten minutes (-5VP).

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If their timer runs out, they are banished from the friend group.
e: "I don't even care that it is your house, take your coat and get out"

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mr. Squishy posted:

If their timer runs out, they are banished from the friend group.
e: "I don't even care that it is your house, take your coat and get out"

Harsh but fair.

SettingSun posted:

I don't have any chronically long turn takers in my group but some players are close. And I won't sweat if a pivotal turn takes some extra time sometimes if a game is coming down to the wire. I don't know what I would do if it ever got bad enough to consider penalizing players for it. Probably express obvious and noisy frustration.

It's me, I'm the chronic long turn taker, but I swear to God it's mostly reserved for Concordia, Feast for Odin. Maybe the odd SR/OR in 18xx but I promise those are at least what I believe in my head to be pivotal decisions that my entire life hangs by the thread of.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 2, 2023

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't have any chronically long turn takers in my group but some players are close. And I won't sweat if a pivotal turn takes some extra time sometimes if a game is coming down to the wire. I don't know what I would do if it ever got bad enough to consider penalizing players for it. Probably express obvious and noisy frustration.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

There are some APers in my usual groups. I usually go too far in the opposite direction and try to get my plays off ASAP, having thought things through on prior players' turns, not always analyzing everything that just happened on the prior turn, a habit i've got to get out of.

One thing we do in, Brass:Birmingham, as an example, to speed the game: at the end of the rail era, when people are just grubbing for links, as a table we identify the best possible links for each player so we don't have to wait for everyone to go through and calculate every possible link point. We do this in most games near the end where there's a limited decision space and it's all public information. It's half to speed things up and half courtesy.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

My group does similar in Brass: Birmingham

We also encourage turn overlap if the current player and the next player don't think the action is gonna effect the latter immediately. This is easier in games like Eclipse 2nd Dawn where actions are cut and dry ("I research plasma cannons okay you're up") with less "and that lets me this which lets me that and finally I take this card" (like Dune Imperium or Arnak).

But yeah one of us usually has AP (and just gets distracted), another of us is laser focused and has 18 turns planned out, and I'm oscillating between the two--i usually know my next two turns and then sometimes get distracted and have to figure it out again.

I have definitely offered up a "poo poo or get off the pot" though.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
That's how you have to play Civ at higher counts because the movement phase can be interminably long if you're forcing everyone to go in proper census order. Generally speaking Babylonia isn't going to affect Iberia and so on but every now and then...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
That's part of why 7 Wonders is so rad, everyone goes at once and you only directly affect your neighbours. Makes higher player counts much more wieldy.

The other thing I love is that unlike many civ-type games, you can rack up a huge score with a strong military, but you can't stop others playing the game, so military play doesn't overshadow everything else.

Gort fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 2, 2023

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Gort posted:

That's part of why 7 Wonders is so rad, everyone goes at once and you only directly affect your neighbours. Makes higher player counts much more wieldy.

Ask me about my two and a half hour 7 Wonders game sometime...

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

WhiteHowler posted:

Ok but I’ve started a timer for your explanation

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

WhiteHowler posted:

No no no no no. No no no no no no no.
e: no

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm imagining a single player agonizing over what to play out of their hand while the other six player's hands are in a line before them as the other player look on angrily.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Most long-turn-takers I have known I think at heart just aren't really aware -- in concrete black and white numbers -- of how much their turns actually significantly differ from everyone else's. Turn timers in these cases are more about time awareness and record-keeping than anything else. Actively punishing players for using time, which serves a specific purpose in things like competition play, might have an entirely different effect on the average casual slow player.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Most long-turn-takers I have known I think at heart just aren't really aware -- in concrete black and white numbers -- of how much their turns actually significantly differ from everyone else's. Turn timers in these cases are more about time awareness and record-keeping than anything else. Actively punishing players for using time, which serves a specific purpose in things like competition play, might have an entirely different effect on the average casual slow player.

Yeah this is why I usually make it very minor - time taken as the tie breaker in Concordia which is so small as to be meaningless. Seeing it is usually enough.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

even in crunchy euros i just fire out moves based on vibes

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I just roll dice to know which dice I'll roll each turn

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Poopy Palpy posted:

I got the tuner cube, tried to use it once or twice, but a real problem was defining what happens when your time runs out. In a 2 player game of chess you can just lose, but in a multiplayer euro game you can't just drop a player, they're explicitly not designed for that.

Everyone I played games with would feel a social pressure to not use up their timer, I think that might be all you need.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

After about a minute into my turn I'll become hyperaware that I'm taking a long time and usually I'll just send it and hope for the best.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Same. I figure, at that point, I've definitely forgotten something important and it's not coming back.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My gf and I just finished playing Escape Room: The Game: 2 Player Horror and it's three scenarios, and....eh. Not particularly good. The routine is the same in all three: you have to select four keys, each of which are indicated in a variety of ways such as a shape, roman numeral, an Arabic numeral, shape of the teeth, and so on. So a particular puzzle might have you finding a triangle, two numbers, and a Roman numeral or something. You do three of these puzzles by using little components that are mostly just paper, reading narrative along the way, then win.

The entire thing is basically a piece of paper folded repeatedly, opening it up further and further with each puzzle. Good art, decent writing, but the puzzles are really hit or miss, and the components feel really cheap. It's sometimes completely unintuitive when you solve, like, a route through a forest and that shape is supposed to match up with the teeth of the key you're supposed to choose, and feels very non-immersive to do. And while you have the option to print out the components, the game is destructive so it's tougher to pass this to someone now that we're done. Doubt we'll be getting any more of these.

The Escape Room-brand jigsaw puzzles, though, we quite like.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

jesus WEP posted:

even in crunchy euros i just fire out moves based on vibes

Yeah same. There are times when I'll plan stuff out a little or do some maths to calculate if my idea will work but it's not a rigorous process.

I figure if it's taking me a long time to work out what to do either the options are pretty similar or I'll learn something useful from the outcome.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Morpheus posted:

My gf and I just finished playing Escape Room: The Game: 2 Player Horror and it's three scenarios, and....eh. Not particularly good. The routine is the same in all three: you have to select four keys, each of which are indicated in a variety of ways such as a shape, roman numeral, an Arabic numeral, shape of the teeth, and so on. So a particular puzzle might have you finding a triangle, two numbers, and a Roman numeral or something. You do three of these puzzles by using little components that are mostly just paper, reading narrative along the way, then win.

The entire thing is basically a piece of paper folded repeatedly, opening it up further and further with each puzzle. Good art, decent writing, but the puzzles are really hit or miss, and the components feel really cheap. It's sometimes completely unintuitive when you solve, like, a route through a forest and that shape is supposed to match up with the teeth of the key you're supposed to choose, and feels very non-immersive to do. And while you have the option to print out the components, the game is destructive so it's tougher to pass this to someone now that we're done. Doubt we'll be getting any more of these.

Yeah, we did one of those escape room jigsaws about a lighthouse. I thought they were very good. Some of those things, as you say, can have really frustrating puzzles, but I feel like maybe because the jigsaw format has given them a new canvas, a new context to work with, they've able to just use their creme de la creme of ideas, and they were pretty much all home runs. I think it definitely helps that my wife loves solving jigsaws and I love the escape room bits, and then we're each equally both 'very fond of' the other.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
It’s also a non-intuitive feedback in that if it takes you 6 minutes to do your turn and the other 3 people do theirs in 2 minutes each, then for you there’s not much downtime and hence you are less aware that there is a long time between other players turns. You also have less time, relative to your turn length, to plan for your next turn.

50% turn utilisation: oh man this game is engaging, I have so many options!

Everyone else at 16%: I’VE SEEN GLACIERS MOVE FASTER THAN THIS GAME

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Yeah - the "Escape Room: The Game: The Jigsaw Puzzle: The Cereal" puzzles have been solid. But the other Escape Room: The Game stuff (the regular games, the doll house, the advent calendar, the moisturizing chutney) are consistently terrible.

"Exit" and "Unlock" series have their problems, but they're consistently better than ER:TG.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

jmzero posted:

Yeah - the "Escape Room: The Game: The Jigsaw Puzzle: The Cereal" puzzles have been solid. But the other Escape Room: The Game stuff (the regular games, the doll house, the advent calendar, the moisturizing chutney) are consistently terrible.

"Exit" and "Unlock" series have their problems, but they're consistently better than ER:TG.

Oh actually ours was an Exit Jigsaw. Oh well.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

!Klams posted:

Oh actually ours was an Exit Jigsaw. Oh well.

I was about to respond that, yeah, the Lighthouse is an Exit one that we also did. It was pretty good, but the biggest problem we had with it was how dark the dang art was. Seeing clues and stuff was genuinely difficult and after a while we just busted out some flashlights to add some extra light.

The Escape Room puzzle that we did is presented from a top-down point of view of a series of rooms, which were the perfect size of jigsaw to solve between bouts of escape room solving stuff, the puzzles of which were also good. Not fantastically creative, but solid puzzles of the genre.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I finally got frosthaven in. Ordered it with all the extras. I haven’t even assembled the extra organized (I opted for the foam one to reduce weight), but it’s taken me 5 hours to sort everything and add the about 2 dozen print errors/errata. Just staring now at my big old box and the cardboard accordion folder from the storage solution that I feel like will degrade way faster than a normal one.

I also have a tier list of punchboard tokens, with the two hex spikey thing, the two hex hose thing, and board 20 stuff in general as most difficult. It’s a lot of game and I can already see some quality of life improvements but the pages of the rules, scenarios, and scenario addendum books are already starting to warp. I am glad that none of my punched out tokens wound up damaged, just a few close calls.

There are like two dozen errata, ranging from one major, to several minor, to several more that you could infer as mistakes. Kind of annoying to address upfront though.

I haven’t checked out the foam core solution yet but the current one is pretty decent other then organizing baggies of monsters and the map tiles. The foam one has the aforementioned cardboard accordion binder. Haven’t checked for how it does everything else yet. We will see.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

So Paolo Mori seems to have gotten a lot of his rights back, because he's been on a roll with reprints lately. First Stonemaier comes out the new version of Libertalia, now Space Cowboys announces a reimplementation and re-theming of Ethnos, and he's said he's shopping around for a publisher for Dogs of War.

I'm currently satisfied with my old editions of Libertalia and Dogs of War, but a new version of Ethnos is something I'd really like, especially if there's a possibility of new content as well. Space Cowboys seems like a good fit for that, their productions of Via Nebula and Black Fleet are low-key two of the nicest games in my collection.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
There's a puzzle / mystery game that involves a winemaking murder. It loving sucks. Don't try it. I warned you goons.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Yeah if your friends ever tell you they want you to try this game about a cask of amontillado, you should be wary.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

interrodactyl posted:

Yeah if your friends ever tell you they want you to try this game about a cask of amontillado, you should be wary.

Board Games 5E: For the love of God, Montresor! Take your turn!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Magnetic North posted:

holy poo poo

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Morpheus posted:

The Lighthouse - we just busted out some flashlights to add some extra light

I think you solved the first puzzle

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Magnetic North posted:

Montresor should have had a turn timer. :colbert:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Magnetic North posted:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
This thread title makes me irrationally happy. For whatever reason, jokes about The Cask of Amontillado always, always make me laugh.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's a story about brutally murdering someone for being mildly annoying, it lends itself to comedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
goon hivemind, I need some ideas for two starting classes for frosthaven

was thinking bannerspear/drifter and boneshaper

e: probably gonna be one boneshaper, was looking for the other class to balance it

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 4, 2023