Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

MJBuddy posted:

I swapped to competitive and turned off comms basically and I'm having a much better time. QP seems too volatile for me this season but I had some excellent Ranked games.

Maybe that is the difference. I've been having nothing but great competitive games. Never really play QP though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
My first game in comp this season I was called a dumb slur and told to uninstall. Better since then, but all the games have been close or wins.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i like when my teams use comms just bc i like talking to people and building repore but tbh the ping system is a godsend since it is really hard to actually use comms to improve play so now if my team are even in channel i mostly use it for apologizing for dogshit plays

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I thought I needed coms. But when I took threads advice and turned them off my rank didn't budge at all, but I no longer had to listen to people going 2/10 that I needed to switch.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I cannot stand playing any Tank other than Sigma on Push maps because no matter where you are on that map you're always flanked super easily and Sigma is the only tank that can somewhat hold two fronts at once.
Push maps suck so loving much. I'd rather have 2CP back.

Of course, dealing with the flankers is supposed to be the DPS' job but relying on a DPS player to do anything helpful is a fool's errand.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I'd rather have 2CP back, but I love push too.

Push is the best mode. Lot of flanking, ambushing and getting decisive picks.
And the feeling when you finally get to do the comeback from your end of the map is just exhilarating.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just don't enjoy being forced to play a glorified Team Deathmatch.
The fact that all my best heroes are particularly weak on those maps doesn't help either.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

For me the real benefit of push is I know we're going to have a winner in 15 mins. I've had payload matches go on for 40+ mins and still end in a draw.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Payload can get painful when both teams cap. I like push as a game mode, with its inherently swingy nature. Can get pretty exciting.

What’s less exciting is losing seven matches in a row because the stupid ranking system only lets you group with people two tiers above you and takes sub-tier into account. Below Diamond or Master, it should only take overal metal-tier into account, and not keep a Plat 2 from playing with a Silver 3. Threw us all into roles we don’t normally play so we got stomped. At least I kicked rear end with Soldier - he’s so much fun to play.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wish Kiriko's reload animation was just a little bit shorter.
Normally you can throw two kunai while your healing recharges but the reload animation is slightly longer than two kunai throws so if you keep healing with the same timing the reload never goes off, it's supremely annoying.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

kiriko's heal throw should be 5 hard fwips instead of w/e subtle breeze sound they have

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kiriko's heal should also be a kunai that you helpfully hurl into your teammates

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

kiriko's teleport should leave behind a log with a crudely painted face on it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

That would own a lot actually.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Kiriko's ult should show off her bike riding skills that she's always bragging about.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Kiriko's ult should show off her bike riding skills that she's always bragging about.

It's a tricycle actually.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

the next Summer Games event should just be an in-engine recreation of the 1987 hit for the Commodore 64, California Games

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Best suggestion this thread has ever had.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

dogstile posted:

Best suggestion this thread has ever had.

its an idea that warrants an immediate promotion tbh

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Started playing some comp DPS, absolutely roasted teams and won 5 out of 6 to get my first rank.

Bronze 5, what gives??

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

The Midniter posted:

Started playing some comp DPS, absolutely roasted teams and won 5 out of 6 to get my first rank.

Bronze 5, what gives??

You played against other new and/or not-so-good players.
If you keep winning like that, it is going rate you higher fast.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Midniter posted:

Bronze 5, what gives??

There's no correlation between your visible rank and your MMR that the game actually uses for matchmaking.

To see your actual rank you need to grind enough matches.

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
Can confirm the latest “improvements” to the matchmaking have done nothing at all. My range of potential teammates is still ranging from bronze to top 500.

I’ve been keeping a pen and paper win rate tally since I noticed the game quality get so bad too. 36% win rate over 154 games. It’s just not fun anymore.

hexal fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 2, 2023

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

hexal posted:

Can confirm the latest “improvements” to the matchmaking have done nothing at all. My range of potential teammates is still ranging from bronze to top 500.

I’ve been keeping a pen and paper win rate tally since I noticed the game quality get so bad too. 36% win rate over 154 games. It’s just not fun anymore.

In comp or qp? I am at a 58% win rate in comp and the matches have felt great. QP I haven't noticed anything too weird, but sometimes there is a mismatch. I assume it just because people have less on the line and are practicing.

I think any time they make mmr changes, and people are moving around to their appropriate ranks, there will be some bad games.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Ranking up has been accelerated this season in preparation for the entire rank decay system being axed in Season 4 too. You should be reaching your "true" rank within the system much faster, according to the reddit AMA. I just finally hit Diamond again (and promptly fell to Plat 1) after being in Gold for a while despite my quick play MMR frequently matching me up against people with Diamond/Master/GM titles.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

novaSphere posted:

Ranking up has been accelerated this season in preparation for the entire rank decay system being axed in Season 4 too. You should be reaching your "true" rank within the system much faster, according to the reddit AMA. I just finally hit Diamond again (and promptly fell to Plat 1) after being in Gold for a while despite my quick play MMR frequently matching me up against people with Diamond/Master/GM titles.

I've been loling because I'll go 5-4 and maintain my Masters 1 rank and then go 5-1 as DPS and stay Platinum 1. I guess that's my DPS rank for good!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1631356319394418688

if they do like an Evangelion collab and make an Asuka D.va skin they'll make enough money to keep the servers on for ten thousand years

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Okay but why isn't that Sigma instead? He has telekinetic powers.

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/NiasBruhMoments/status/1631356466706669571

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 2, 2023

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Pattonesque posted:

if they do like an Evangelion collab and make an Asuka D.va skin they'll make enough money to keep the servers on for ten thousand years

Imagine if they did a Spy X Family collab and Kiriko was Yor Forger. Might become a trillion dollar company overnight.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

toadee posted:

Imagine if they did a Spy X Family collab and Kiriko was Yor Forger. Might become a trillion dollar company overnight.

gently caress, I would spend that money so fast lmao.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

Pattonesque posted:

Isn’t that just a recolor with different hair, that’s pretty bad. I immediately noticed it is just a recolor lmao.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

All the other One Punch Man skins are all also lazy recolors.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The Doomfist skin I can see being legendary, but surprised to see the Tatsumaki skin also billed as legendary when it's just a black recolor of Kiriko's usual outfit with a glowy wig and black pumps. That's like Moira's weird Mime legendary skin.

hexal
Sep 7, 2011

headcase posted:

In comp or qp? I am at a 58% win rate in comp and the matches have felt great. QP I haven't noticed anything too weird, but sometimes there is a mismatch. I assume it just because people have less on the line and are practicing.

I think any time they make mmr changes, and people are moving around to their appropriate ranks, there will be some bad games.

It’s qp. Which, yes, I know is not the mode people think “matters”. But I just queue in for a nice relaxing game of mercy, making healthbars go up and we can’t get the payload around the second corner of Dorado because there’s a top 500 soldier on the high ground with his own mercy pocket. The game was just dull.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

hexal posted:

It’s qp. Which, yes, I know is not the mode people think “matters”. But I just queue in for a nice relaxing game of mercy, making healthbars go up and we can’t get the payload around the second corner of Dorado because there’s a top 500 soldier on the high ground with his own mercy pocket. The game was just dull.

I've just started quitting QP games that are shaping up to be a stomp. I don't care about the xp penalty anymore, if Blizz can't figure out how to balance their game then I'm not going to feel obligated to finish out rounds.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

my qp winrate soldier 1 tricking is far higher than my comp winrate, so yeah I feel like QP is going to give players far more imbalanced and unfair matches than comp

the qp matchmaker is incentivizing GET PEOPLE IN GAMES NOW over a 50/50 game

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also i never leave even if getting stomped in a qp game, b/c my goal isn't to win the game or even have a close game! i'm just like hell yeah im shooting at ppl

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Tatsumaki skin is dumb and too tall. it should make Kiriko into a tiny lost child that does stuff based on voiceline barks.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

comedyblissoption posted:

also i never leave even if getting stomped in a qp game, b/c my goal isn't to win the game or even have a close game! i'm just like hell yeah im shooting at ppl

That's cool, for me I play online shooters for the team/competitive aspect of it. So if I have a team that can't hold it together even a little it starts to feel like a waste of time.

The queue times are super fast (least for my region), I bet if they increased them to even like 20-30 seconds they could get much more competitive games. But oh well, Blizz gonna Blizz.

That said I also feel like matchmaking for games has gotten worse in general these days. Feels to me that in the Halo 2/3, Modern Warfare, Battlefield 3-4 days, while there absolutely were stomps, they weren't nearly every game like you get in a lot of modern shooters. Maybe a side-effect of more games on the market pulling people's attention quicker?

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

PantsBandit posted:

That said I also feel like matchmaking for games has gotten worse in general these days. Feels to me that in the Halo 2/3, Modern Warfare, Battlefield 3-4 days, while there absolutely were stomps, they weren't nearly every game like you get in a lot of modern shooters. Maybe a side-effect of more games on the market pulling people's attention quicker?

I feel like it's maybe that competitive FPS PC gaming has exploded in popularity since then, and so the range and quality of players has reached new highs. I mean, there are literally people now putting hundreds of hours into drat aim trainers. Was that even a thing 10 years ago?