Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Iymarra posted:

Best show ending/final episode?

M*A*S*H.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Best longform sci-fi storytelling of the 90s.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jedit posted:

That's the first time anyone's rated B5 S5 ha the best for anything.

It's only the opening, the actual season was pretty weak. Though Sleeping in Light still hits like a truck so many years later. Although one could argue that SiL should properly be counted as belonging to season 4, I suppose.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Best longform sci-fi storytelling of the 90s.

Still M*A*S*H.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MikusR posted:

Still M*A*S*H.

Nobody actually likes M*A*S*H, there were only 3 channels in the 70's, so you had your choice of a bad TV movie, another bad TV movie, or a bad TV show at any given time when sports weren't on.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Torrannor posted:

It's only the opening, the actual season was pretty weak. Though Sleeping in Light still hits like a truck so many years later. Although one could argue that SiL should properly be counted as belonging to season 4, I suppose.

You can see it in the episode's content, as well. One thing that stood out is that Garibaldi and Sheridan are supposed to have long-simmering grievances, which would make sense if nothing significant had happened since the end of Season 4, but by the penultimate episodes of Season 5, they split amicably.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cheap Trick posted:

It was their last, best hope for good taste.

They failed.

Dun dun da

I like the season 5 intro. With the different voice clips and the kinda melancholy music underlines how it's all coming to an end.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It just feels like a clip show.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Nobody actually likes M*A*S*H, there were only 3 channels in the 70's, so you had your choice of a bad TV movie, another bad TV movie, or a bad TV show at any given time when sports weren't on.

It's the song. Suicide is Painless loving rules.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It just feels like a clip show.

Yeah I hate it. S3 opening 4lyfe

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

3>4>2>1>5, fight me

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McSpanky posted:

3>4>2>1>5, fight me

I just don't like the music in the S3 intro. It's not a theme, it's just scales (and, in fact, re-used music from S2).

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Emotional pull vs musical complexity: FIGHT. Remember, nobody can like different aesthetics.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Timby posted:

I just don't like the music in the S3 intro. It's not a theme, it's just scales (and, in fact, re-used music from S2).

IT FAILED

BOOM BOOM BLAHHHHR BOOM BOOM BLAAHHHRR

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
For me it was great because it riffed on S2 - when I started watching, my local syndication was towards the end of S2, specifically Divided Loyalties, so I started with that as the baseline, then there was that season final... then we had to wait forever, it felt, for S3 to show up, so it worked really well.

I don't remember how long it took the cycle to get back to S1 so for a while I had no real connection to Sinclair.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sebmojo posted:

IT FAILED

Hey, you do you, I just prefer my shows' intros to have sort of an actual melody, not just scales (and lovely synth percussion / string hits). That's why the S3 "theme" is by far my least favorite out of the five.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Timby posted:

Hey, you do you, I just prefer my shows' intros to have sort of an actual melody, not just scales (and lovely synth percussion / string hits). That's why the S3 "theme" is by far my least favorite out of the five.

In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater... our last best hope... for victory.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Timby posted:

S3 is the best intro, sorry you’re wrong about that.

However, I will also agree that the music, as a standalone piece, is probably the worst of them. It just works really well in context.

BOOM BOOM BWAAAAAAAA.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Chevy Slyme posted:

S3 is the best intro, sorry you’re wrong about that.

However, I will also agree that the music, as a standalone piece, is probably the worst of them. It just works really well in context.

BOOM BOOM BWAAAAAAAA.

Yeah it's this. Horses for courses.

Buffy still takes the best theme song trophy though

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sebmojo posted:

Buffy still takes the best theme song trophy though

Now we'll fight, seb, I love Angel's theme so, so much.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Timby posted:

Now we'll fight, seb, I love Angel's theme so, so much.

They are both the best :sparkles:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Nah, it's Star Trek EnterpriseStargate SG-1 :colbert:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

It's the original BSG.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

It's the original BSG.

We used an extended version of the original BSG main theme as part of the seating music in our wedding. Only a few people recognized it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lemniscate Blue posted:

We used an extended version of the original BSG main theme as part of the seating music in our wedding. Only a few people recognized it.

You're still better off than the couple I know who wanted the bride to come down the aisle to the medal ceremony music from Star Wars and requested the Imperial March. Come the big day, the doors open, and

POM POM POM pom-pa-POM pom-pa-POM!

I wasn't there, but if nobody said "inform the groom his lady has arrived" I will be deeply disappointed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Alhazred posted:

Dun dun da

I like the season 5 intro. With the different voice clips and the kinda melancholy music underlines how it's all coming to an end.

The music that plays under the clips is great, the music that you can actually hear + the CGI visuals makes it look like the worst sci fi show you've ever watched

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
(re)watching season 1 has been interesting so far, some fairly meh episodes, but there's some groundwork being laid. Infection isn't great, but there are hints at the reasoning behind the shadow war.

Also, it's pretty clear that Catherine Sakai was being set up to be Anna Sheridan, had Michael O'Hare been able to continue past season one.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Rewatching S5 for the first time and Sheridan does not make a good impression in the first episodes. First he promises the new captain full autonomy, only to overrule her the moment she says no to something he wants, then when he gets death threats against him he objects to extra security because he reasons a sufficiently motivated assassin will get him anyway. Then some guard literally takes a bullet for him and saves his rear end.

The Byron stuff drags the oxygen out of every scene he's in, but there aren't too many luckily.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Rewatching S5 for the first time and Sheridan does not make a good impression in the first episodes. First he promises the new captain full autonomy, only to overrule her the moment she says no to something he wants, then when he gets death threats against him he objects to extra security because he reasons a sufficiently motivated assassin will get him anyway. Then some guard literally takes a bullet for him and saves his rear end.

The Byron stuff drags the oxygen out of every scene he's in, but there aren't too many luckily.

That's exactly what S5 works and part of why many people dislike it: however much the previous two seasons went heavy on the "great man" theory of history, S5 establishes that Sheridan was an excellent leader of the alliance against the Ancients but is only a so-so politician. SiL makes it fairly obvious that Sheridan's best role is as Ranger One and Delenn is a much better President of the ISA.

It isn't really the victory lap you're expecting, and the telepath crisis operates as a genuine tragedy in the sense that it proceeds slowly and you can see what will happen from a million miles away. That might work for Euripides but thirteen episodes of B5 can't quite make things work.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A better Byron, lyta having an actual role as foil, and some different production/direction choices would have made all the difference I reckon. The setup is actually very solid.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

sebmojo posted:

A better Byron, lyta having an actual role as foil, and some different production/direction choices would have made all the difference I reckon. The setup is actually very solid.

Also, Ivanova instead of Lochley would've made a world of difference.

Like, they did some things with Lochley, sure, but could you imagine how hard Day of the Dead would've hit with Ivanova seeing her brother, or Marcus?

(Okay, not Marcus. But Ganya, or even Talia in that episode? could've been a winner.)

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Narsham posted:

That's exactly what S5 works and part of why many people dislike it: however much the previous two seasons went heavy on the "great man" theory of history, S5 establishes that Sheridan was an excellent leader of the alliance against the Ancients but is only a so-so politician. SiL makes it fairly obvious that Sheridan's best role is as Ranger One and Delenn is a much better President of the ISA.

It isn't really the victory lap you're expecting, and the telepath crisis operates as a genuine tragedy in the sense that it proceeds slowly and you can see what will happen from a million miles away. That might work for Euripides but thirteen episodes of B5 can't quite make things work.

US Grant was an beloved general, but a terrible terrible politician. And given that season five immediately is in the aftermath of a civil war, it makes sense! Rewatching the show (not up to season five yet) Sheridan has some enormous blind spots, so I can see why JMS figured it'd be a good story to see them all exploited in the fifth season, its just that Byron doesn't work.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Chevy Slyme posted:

Like, they did some things with Lochley, sure, but could you imagine how hard Day of the Dead would've hit with Ivanova seeing her brother, or Marcus?

(Okay, not Marcus. But Ganya, or even Talia in that episode? could've been a winner.)

Oh yeah good call. I actually liked lochley but the series forgets she exists about halfway through.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Chevy Slyme posted:

This. Season 5 really suffers from not having Ivanova.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Chevy Slyme posted:

IIRC the plan was to have Ivanova falling for Byron, but after Christian left they gave Lyta her role.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I'm pretty convinced that the original plan for S5 was to have Talia being the one leading the telepath rebellion pitting her against Ivanova as B5 commander, and I want to live in that universe.

Claudia Christian said she left the show since S4 basically had her saying "yes captain" and her only scene that sticks out in my mind is playing straight woman to Zathras' schtick. Oy.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Claudia Christian said she left the show since S4 basically had her saying "yes captain" and her only scene that sticks out in my mind is playing straight woman to Zathras' schtick. Oy.

Can you source that because that really doesn't fit when comparing her roles in S2 and S4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8gHtX6d2wg

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I cannot. It was something I'd seen on, I want to say usenet, way back around the time she left and it was plausibly sourced, though hell if I can find it now. Wouldn't surprise me if it was something she didn't genuinely mean and there was just a bit of bitterness in the moment.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

I cannot. It was something I'd seen on, I want to say usenet, way back around the time she left and it was plausibly sourced, though hell if I can find it now. Wouldn't surprise me if it was something she didn't genuinely mean and there was just a bit of bitterness in the moment.

Found it, http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/misc/cc-leave.html, down the bottom

quote:

In case you didn't notice, during season 4 I mostly read off of a TelePrompTer for "The Voice of The Resistance" or said "Aye Captain" into my link.

In context, and with 20 years of additional context, it looks like posturing to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sebmojo posted:

Remember the lead telepath from A Race Through Dark Places? Had kind of a lisp? Give him Byron's lines. In an ideal world you also boost Lyta's part and have Ivanova in there instead, but that one change would make the character a whole lot more palatable.