Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah that got me too. I was like “oooh, this seem…oh never mind”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I’ve tried two-handed in Marvel and LotR and keep going back to true solo. It’s so much faster and easier to focus for me. I’d rather miss out on some of the multiplayer dynamics and get more games in - two-handed feels like it takes way more than twice as long.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I tend to enjoy true solo more too. Not only do I not like managing multiple hands, I would rather smash against a tough scenario 10x really quickly and make it work than more easily breeze through it with powerful decks with a lot of synergy. I like to save that for multiplayer.

Arkham was probably the best for true solo, but Marvel works fine too, just feels a little more narrow with most heroes.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
First Canada misses the release window for Phoenix and now UK has missed the window for Mojo. For whatever reason that pack didn't show up with everything else and my order is sitting there waiting to be filled for who knows how long.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
That sucks. It seems like with this new release schedule their availability has gotten worse. You would think that by staggering releases you could fix shipping issues, not make them worse.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

The Black Stones posted:

That sucks. It seems like with this new release schedule their availability has gotten worse. You would think that by staggering releases you could fix shipping issues, not make them worse.

Some middle manager probably freaked out over companies breaking the street date if they got them early and then they piled up and couldn't all fit on the same boat when it came shipping time. It's honestly baffling though. It makes me glad this isn't a competitive game. Then again maybe Asmodee looked at how Hasbro was loving over local game stores and thought they'd do the same thing to drive everything onto Amazon or their own storefront.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I hate street dates with such a passion. There’s no point to them only except to not make someone feel bad that a person got something a day or two earlier. The majority of people will not cancel their order because some online shop got it a day earlier. I buy anime from online and it’s great where most companies are like “yeah there’s a street date but if you get it a month early ship it” so I’ll get things super early because they’ve got my money so why bother holding it for that date?

It clogs up stockrooms and really places break it all the time and rarely get punished for it. Just sell your thing when you’ve sent out the product. I’m thinking back now to just earlier this year when they delayed (was it Mutant Genesis?) only 2 days before it’s launch and my store already had it.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Street dates are important because they help local stores keep viable. If you can almost always get something online a week or two earlier than your local store can provide it, no-one's gonna wait.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Nah, cause there’s places that already break street date. There’s a Canadian website where I could order from that I’ve seen constantly do it, but I don’t give a poo poo about getting it slightly early. I care about being able to buy it hassle free, when my store gets it. It’s annoying when they get it a day early but I’m not allowed to buy it because….???. Most people don’t. My experience in retail has told me that people will buy things in the most convenient manner possible. For a good chunk of people. That’s their local stores. You only need a street date if you’re planning doing huge staggered releases, but that doesn’t really happen anymore. Most places will have the product within days of each other. I still don’t use the place that breaks street date because I’d have to pay for faster shipping if I wanted it by the time most places would get it normally.

I’d be incredibly interested to see how many people would switch buying from their local shops if street dates were gone, because I’d wager not much at all.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Got Storm, Phoenix, and Wolverine.

Wolverine and Storm is amazing. Storm with her upgrades just makes her able stand a bunch and then all those weather changes really help out. Wolverine just kicks rear end being able to go “tough? Nah, I don’t think so”

Phoenix though. I’m not so crazy about. I’ve got her as Justice but considering going Leadership and switching Cyclops to Justice. I’ve considered Defence but I’ve got Shadowcat as defence and don’t want to take her out of that. So Phoenix would have no X-men allies. Not the end of the world I guess. It might be better two handed. I’ll have to try her out that way, but I find in Justice especially true solo once I hit unleashed it was so hard to get out of it. Managed to eventually win against Klaw solo but man was it a huge slog where Storm absolutely manhandled him.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Jean is a lot of fun in aggro with psychic assault. Once the advances are out of the deck, you get your free alter ego flips and heals, the option to use Cerebro, and a starting three damage.

Because of danger room, utopia, mansion, etc., almost all X-Men work better in tandem, and giving yourself honorary X-Men is almost always a good move so you can trigger utopia any time an ally enters the field.

Aggression is also great because looking for trouble spawns an enemy if you ever need one to mind control. Going through with justice Phoenix and leader ship cyclops meant dark phoenix was really not a problem when she showed up, because two five allies could easily attack her. Oh my most heroes, she has a natural pivot, want to get board state switching over to unleashed opens up a lot of stuff.

(Also, mutant education means you can get her deadly unleashed attack events back much faster than normal. I think she’s the best target for it.)

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
When deck building, I try to stay thematic, but I cannot help but put Black Widow in protection Phoenix. It pretty much negates her major downside: Dark Phoenix. Other than that, you can build a pretty fun Protection phoenix with few allies, but plenty of enemy management with Pinned Down, Psychic Misdirection, and 'Bait and Switch'. There is a deck on MarvelCDB called 'Master of Puppets' that has this idea. It has 7 allies, but I think you could get away with replacing some with Protection shenanigans.

I have the problem of whenever I see a new hero, I automatically want to build a protection deck for them. 'Hard Knocks' and 'invulnerability' were unplayable in most decks, but I think in Colossus their value might be very worthwhile if his kit is out. I also want to see what happens if I double down on Wolverine's healing in protection. Phoenix's mind control shenanigans in protection are very fun and thematic, and hasn't really been explored before. Also Shadowcat's brain-burning damage avoidance shenanigans are a blast in Protection.

Cyclops and Storm are the only ones where a deck doesn't immediately come to mind in Protection, but if more 'enemy debuff' cards come out, I can see them working well there.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Colossus still can’t afford invuln. One trick is making him an honorary guardian so he can use shake it off, which is much cheaper, or putting him in justice, where his card draw can greatly expand.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Golden Bee posted:

Colossus still can’t afford invuln. One trick is making him an honorary guardian so he can use shake it off, which is much cheaper, or putting him in justice, where his card draw can greatly expand.

That's too bad. I was hoping Colossus's kit could make it potentially worthwhile late game once everything is out. With everything out, it is a future card draw, potentially a few turns with dual resources, maybe a way to trigger Bulletproof Protector without flipping, as well as a resource for his cards or just the boring damage protection. It most likely makes more sense in my brain than in practice. 3 cost is discarding his whole hand for just one tough, so I think you are right.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

I just play Invuln as though it costs 2 instead of 3. I don't think it's worth playing for any other heroes even at 2, but for Colossus it's okay at that cost.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Well Rogue can steal other players' cards sort of, at least for a single use, so they got close enough I guess.

Otherwise she looks a bit below the curve in exchange for versatility. I'm liking the look of those Protection cards though, a card that gives -2 ATK three times is going to be extremely useful as is being able to buff your defense +2 and remove 2 threat from anywhere is really going to help with all the drat crisis icons they keep putting out. Iceman is going to be situationally amazing but probably not worth a slot most of the time.

Moira doesn't have the mutant tag so I guess FFG didn't keep up with Hickman's run. She looks great as does the free * resource for hero events.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 17, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I saw a rogue in the first sentence and thought “wait, am I in the arkham thread?”

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Rogue looks fantastic; the whole X-Men cycle might be my favorite one ever so far. Using Southern Cross and Bulletproof Belle to keep the villain stunned / take no damage and gain Tough is going to be very fun. Playing twohanded will be really interesting with what combos people can do absorbing the other character's events.

I'm sure many people are going to put together some sick Aggression stunlock decks for her.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

She can gain any trait, including vehicle, animal, monster, or elite. She can also take traits from allies so she could theoretically become a web warrior avenger guardian x-men, in three player.

More importantly, she’s the first character who can gain Champion. And if she copies mystic, she can become sorcerer supreme, because that card only requires the trait to put it into play.

This also feels like an amazing combo with team building exercise, which might make sure the first X-Men whose options aren’t than “just play other X-Men for synergy.”

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Golden Bee posted:

She can gain any trait, including vehicle, animal, monster, or elite. She can also take traits from allies so she could theoretically become a web warrior avenger guardian x-men, in three player.

More importantly, she’s the first character who can gain Champion. And if she copies mystic, she can become sorcerer supreme, because that card only requires the trait to put it into play.

This also feels like an amazing combo with team building exercise, which might make sure the first X-Men whose options aren’t than “just play other X-Men for synergy.”

What character card has the vehicle trait?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Some of the minions, I think Kang or Mojo.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

I had an extremely satisfying first game as Storm against expert Mutagen formula. I was able to deal 19 damage in one turn to third stage Green Goblin with thunderstorm, lightning bolt, and multiple ally attacks, then I switched to hurricane and he took 1 retaliate damage and died following his attack.

She and Wolverine both seem incredibly powerful and versatile, they both feel like they can fit well in any aspect.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
A guy joined the person I played cards with and now playing locations has become an issue. Ugh, this is so annoying.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Black Stones posted:

A guy joined the person I played cards with and now playing locations has become an issue. Ugh, this is so annoying.

I wish I enjoyed playing card games over the internet. There's so many people still playing Raw Deal, Star Wars LCG, Star Wars CCG, L5R LCG, L5R CCG, gently caress I could even get in a game of Spycraft. I just like holding the cards and playing in person. If I'm on my PC I want to be playing a game solo.

I feel you though. My marvel champions friend wants to include two other guys in the group and one of them is the kind that only likes stuff like Container, or Wallenstein, and while I'm not opposed to a euro-y cube pusher I just backed the Heroes of Might and Magic 3 board game and when it finally releases that's not going to be one I could bring to that group. So my MC playing is going to get cut down to maybe twice a month.

Anyway the point is that I feel you, and also hate when other group members make decisions to be inclusive to more players and then it throws off the dynamic in some way.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 20, 2022

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
He’s a very nice guy. So the dynamic is great, but we prefer playing in quiet places and he works mornings on Saturdays which throws off our game time. The FLGS is out as it’s too busy (might check again if it happens) and the local boardgame cafe is out as he has a history with it (nothing bad. Used to work there, then COVID hit and they were not great about it). We tried the lounge of the place he works at which was quiet but it was super dark.

My place would work but I live a town over and he doesn’t have his own car. Shares with his wife. So just have to figure out what works.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jimmeeee posted:

I had an extremely satisfying first game as Storm against expert Mutagen formula. I was able to deal 19 damage in one turn to third stage Green Goblin with thunderstorm, lightning bolt, and multiple ally attacks, then I switched to hurricane and he took 1 retaliate damage and died following his attack.

She and Wolverine both seem incredibly powerful and versatile, they both feel like they can fit well in any aspect.

Same, tried out Storm and it feels like she can really control the narrative of the game easily when you get her stuff set up with the Crown and Cape. Do Hurricane/Blizzard when you're being defensive and building your stuff up, use Clear Skies to get cards for that tableau, and switch to Thunderstorm when you're ready to go all out with Lightning Bolt---you can easily do up to 12+ damage with that card in hand. It has a risk/reward to it as well since you'll need an ally to block or a Flash Freeze/Weather Goddess combo to mitigate additional ATK damage.

It's really nice that Storm has such a great inherent thwarting aspect with the Hurricane/Torrential Rain factor here, too. For those reasons I do think she could be a fantastic Justice or Aggression deck, too---I hardly took advantage of the Leadership stuff in the precon when I played; Storm's own cards were powerful enough to pretty much win the game on its own.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Aggression Storm will always work if she has access to Boot Camp.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I've been put of the loop on LCGs since Marvel launched. Anything since then that's real good for single player

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

They haven't launched any new LCGs, just more stuff for Arkham and Marvel.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Rip ok

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

sirtommygunn posted:

They haven't launched any new LCGs, just more stuff for Arkham and Marvel.

And rereleased a bunch of LotR stuff in more convenient formats.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

worms butthole guy posted:

I've been put of the loop on LCGs since Marvel launched. Anything since then that's real good for single player

I've been keeping an eye on Earthborne Rangers, but that won't be until March or later. I didn't preorder it so I might not get it until the summer I'm guessing.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
weird that ffg has been so quiet!

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

John Romero posted:

weird that ffg has been so quiet!

IIRC it got bought out a few years ago, basically torn to pieces, and those pieces handed off to various teams that were ill-equipped to do them justice. Vulture capitalism and all that.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you have TTS, rainy made a version of the Robbie Reyes ghost rider that’s pretty cool.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
i went into my FLGS for the first time in a long time and saw Marvel Champions, and impulse purchased it on account that i am currently addicted to Marvel Snap; my wife and i have been having a blast with it, although the games run a little longer than i think either one of us were expecting, and figuring out the rules enough to play clean and fluid games took us a few tries. we have some fondness for Marvel superheroes (i know, cringe) especially owing to our childhoods, and so far i've bought the stuff that we're drawn to, which is namely Spider-Man stuff and X-Men stuff. i could provide a complete buylist on request, but i think that sort of misses the point of my following questions:

1) assuming we only play on the standard difficulty settings (missing the 3 Expert cards, using I & II identities for villains, etc), how optimized would our decks need to be to beat the campaigns and scenarios in the core box, Sinister Motives, and the Mutant Genesis sets? i have some card-gaming experience/trauma so this is less daunting for me than it is for her, but both of us would prefer to play flavorful/thematic decks than those strictly min-maxed for efficacy.

2) on a related note, is it possible to make decently effective decks without buying up every thematically-related card pack? we're likely to get Spider-Ham and Gambit/Rogue/Storm, but we've already racked up quite a dollar amount, and i'm always wary of FFG doing the 'we put essential stuff in the clamshells people like the least' strategy (though i respect the hustle). put another way, are there "essential" clamshells/boxes i need to buy if i want to play Peter Parker at a decent level of efficacy? i am a child in every respect but my actual age, and OG Spider-Man is and will always be my favorite (though Miles is climbing, he seems more Obviously Good than Peter does)

i don't mean to ask the thread to do my homework for me, but parsing the marvelcdb is intimidating and time-consuming, and most of the decks posted that have high degrees of engagement and are recent-ish seem to require you owning, like, a lot of stuff, or i could also just be reading them wrong; i've also noticed that some cards show up in more than one place, but mousing over the card on marvelcdb only provides what is maybe the first place it showed up within? (ex. Bait and Switch, which i think looks pretty awesome for Peter, is listed as being in Scarlet Witch, but I have 3 copies that I think came with Ghost Spider's starter kit?)

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
1) It might be a bit of a struggle, but if you're playing on standard you could go through any campaign with even the precons. Sinister Motives has some really good scenarios that are nicely balanced and then the last scenario is arguably one of it not the most difficult scenario. I haven't gotten through all the Mutant Genesis yet but the first two scenarios might be more annoying than difficult.

2) You absolutely don't have to buy every pack to make good decks. There tends to be packs with key cards for aspect so the real question is what is your preferred aspects? For aggression most people recommend Thor, Wasp, Hulk then maybe Valkyrie and Gamora. For Protection Dr. Strange, Quicksilver, Ms. Marvel then maybe Drax and Vision. Special mention to SP//dr who has a protection archetype in her pack and some really good Web Warrior cards. Leadership Captain America, War Machine, Ant-Man, Star-Lord.. Justice Black Widow, Nebula/Spider-Ham, Scarlet Witch, Venom. Bang for your buck though the campaign expansions are the best buy, 2 heroes and 5 villains are great value. But as notable cards Rise of the Red Skull has skilled investigator and clear the are for justice and maybe team training for leadership. Mad Titan has mighty avengers, white tiger, and kaluu for leadership and nothing that isn't reprinted outside of allies for the others. Galaxy's most wanted is hard to ignore for protection, maybe hand cannon for aggression, and deft focus for basic.

A lot of the cards in the X-Men packs are reprints outside of allies and X-Men specific cards. Like take mean swing for example. Originally printed in Thor now it's also in Wolverine. The only reason to get the Thor pack now outside of wanting the hero is Jarnbjorn and hall of heroes. Which might remove the need for Valkryie because her pack has some events that replace def/thwarting with your attack stat instead and then Asgardian cards + hall of heroes.

Losem fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 29, 2023

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My friends got all excited for the LotR LCG and I bought the revised core. I've played Arkham Horror for countless hours and Marvel Champions as much as I could stand (about three games) and I appreciate what LotR does. It's not as good as Arkham, mostly because I like the RPG with card game mechanics that Arkham has with leveling up through a campaign.

Coordinating decks is going to be a pain. The downside of the game being based on LotR is the amount of unique characters and items that have to be limited to one in play.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Lord of the Rings LCG is getting a rerelease of the Dreamchaser cycle. It's one of the best cycles and now includes some more campaign options (which will be pnp-able as well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I bought Marvel Champions after trying it when a friend of my brother in law came over to play it. I got the basic set and Captain America. My brother in law bought Nova, Quicksilver, and Cyclops