Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chernobyl only seems anti Soviet if you think the us would respond better to a nuclear disaster but that's purely an assumption some viewers have. It's not actually something in the show at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Expecting the story of Chernobyl *not* to be anti-soviet is interesting

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Came across this blunder in The Last Of Us this week:

Epic anachronistic gently caress up. Let's see if you can guess what's wrong here.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I dug The Terror but I heard Chernobyl was very cornily anti-soviet.

I see we got some tankies in the house.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

A MIRACLE posted:

yeah, they try really hard to elevate the "regular russian people" but make all the party officials look like idiots

i still like it, on the last ep now

So the way it was and should be? You do understand the "regular people" are the proletariat who are suppose to run the dictatorship right?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Epic anachronistic gently caress up. Let's see if you can guess what's wrong here.

Did that style of desk lamp not exist in 2003? The phone buttons are lit up but there is no reason they couldn't have local phone service running.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

withak posted:

Did that style of desk lamp not exist in 2003? The phone buttons are lit up but there is no reason they couldn't have local phone service running.

Look at the photo on the desk.

NJ goons will pick it up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
IDGI

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The Puppy Bowl posted:

They do, but I didn't take it as anti-soviet. More an accurate reflection of decision-making in the halls of power.

The trouble with the show is not that it's "anti Soviet" but that it inexplicably exaggerates the effects of radiation (e.g. melting a helicopter, killing a baby, etc.), while having the scientist characters appear as clear-eyed prophets of the end-of-history warning these primitive dummies of the impossible threat. As if dedication to Science allows them to view the events from outside of ideology, like they themselves are not part of the Soviet Union.

The deliberate scientific inaccuracies in the pro-science show - because you can't just accidentally claim a helicopter was melted - betray the series' true priorities.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
"NJ residents are clamoring over this one photo. Can you guess why??"

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
watched old and had some lols.

then i watched malignant and appreciated how, at the end, the lady basically becomes Naruto.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Nightmare Cinema posted:

For those wondering, the picture on the desk was taken at Six Flags Great Adventure, but the two coasters featured didn't exist at that time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

NJ didn’t get Asian people until 2004, well after the apocalypse in the show had already happened

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tiny Timbs posted:

NJ didn’t get Asian people until 2004, well after the apocalypse in the show had already happened

Jeez what a boner.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

If you all can tell what's in that picture then maybe I need to see my eye doc again.

I see two people, a railing, and a mechanical eagle taking flight in the lower left? There are 4 nuclear silos in the background.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

MAJOR anachronism in The last of Us this week, New Jersey goons will spot it immediately

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jolo posted:

If you all can tell what's in that picture then maybe I need to see my eye doc again.

I see two people, a railing, and a mechanical eagle taking flight in the lower left? There are 4 nuclear silos in the background.

It's clearly an Avaya VOIP phone model from 2012.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

For those wondering, the picture on the desk was taken at Six Flags Great Adventure, but the two coasters featured didn't exist at that time.

Lol what? It’s a blurry rear end picture of two women.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
You can see it better in another shot (irl picture for comparion):

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If that bothered you you should not be allowed to watch any media.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The only thing that bothered me was trying to figure out what anachronism they were talking about.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I feel you. I felt the same lol

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I thought it was a joke. Goddamn.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Well it's good they probated Nightmare Cinema for that post so they couldn't explain it because that would have made it much more boring.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
It is kind of strange that they moved the date of the outbreak in The Last of Us to 2003 so that the show would take place in 2023, thus necessitating careful anachronism checking, when iirc the original game had the outbreak in 2013 and the game takes place in the future. Did they just not want to bother with any questions about how the earth would look different in 2043 what with climate change and all that? Did they not want any characters going "wow this fungal outbreak reminds me of covid?" I feel like all of these could be easily written around/ignored.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

2003 or about was the original SARs scare I remember

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

quote:

The trouble with the show is not that it's "anti Soviet" but that it inexplicably exaggerates the effects of radiation (e.g. melting a helicopter, killing a baby, etc.), while having the scientist characters appear as clear-eyed prophets of the end-of-history warning these primitive dummies of the impossible threat. As if dedication to Science allows them to view the events from outside of ideology, like they themselves are not part of the Soviet Union.

The deliberate scientific inaccuracies in the pro-science show - because you can't just accidentally claim a helicopter was melted - betray the series' true priorities.

It is absolutely anti-Soviet in that it portrays the 80's USSR as nearly Stalinist and Ignorant of Science when it needs to create dramatic tension. SMG is right in that it portrays scientists as ideological only to science, the great inviolable truth, as if they existed outside Soviet bureaucracy and didn't know how it worked.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Thank you, that was what I was interested in. Obviously I expect a series about Chernobyl to criticize USSR policy on some level but I heard it was very shoddy and cartoonish going about it.

lol at that guy throwing out "tankie", truly a well adjusted genius and history understander

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It was hardly cartoonish, bureaucracy and men afraid of losing power is featured through out but the real bad guy, like in the real event, was systemic. I thought Chernobyl did a deft job with it.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

correct

world ended in 2003. kingda ka [2005] and el toro [2008] weren't built yet 代らー鉛 ヵ ボラ パニダ椅ラめペ

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

people could still build roller coasters after the world ended. debunked

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

mystes posted:

Well it's good they probated Nightmare Cinema for that post so they couldn't explain it because that would have made it much more boring.

I thought the probe was for admitting to being from NJ

mystes
May 31, 2006

ruddiger posted:

I thought the probe was for admitting to being from NJ
That's its own punishment

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Imagine if they made Chernobyl into an American Horror Story style anthology show and did a second season about Fukushima with the same cast

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Gotta do Three Mile Island, then Fukushima, then maybe start thinking about fun stuff like the Tybee incident or the 1980 Damascus Titan missile explosion. Basically a Command and Control fx series.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Name Change posted:

It is absolutely anti-Soviet in that it portrays the 80's USSR as nearly Stalinist and Ignorant of Science when it needs to create dramatic tension. SMG is right in that it portrays scientists as ideological only to science, the great inviolable truth, as if they existed outside Soviet bureaucracy and didn't know how it worked.

It was not at all some universal Soviet ignorance of science. There were some bureaucrats who didn't listen to the scientists at first and then either they got pushed out by smarter people or they started listening to them. Even the portrayal of Gorbachev seemed relatively sympathetic, he took the threat to his populace seriously almost immediately. I don't know how you tell that story without having some bureaucrats at some level of command who don't want to acknowledge grim reality.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's about as balanced a take as you can possibly get on an American TV network but yes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Papercut posted:

It was not at all some universal Soviet ignorance of science. There were some bureaucrats who didn't listen to the scientists at first and then either they got pushed out by smarter people or they started listening to them. Even the portrayal of Gorbachev seemed relatively sympathetic, he took the threat to his populace seriously almost immediately. I don't know how you tell that story without having some bureaucrats at some level of command who don't want to acknowledge grim reality.

What I've heard - from people who had been involved in Soviet bureaucracy themselves - was that the biggest mistake the show made was having bureaucrats threaten the scientists, or warn them about what would happen if they didn't get in line. You didn't have to make threats or explain it, everyone knew what would happen if you embarrassed the wrong person and everyone had to be very delicate in how they broached issues about things going very wrong.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Papercut posted:

yeah genuinely I feel like these takes are coming from another universe. have you all never had to deal with middle management??? felt very accurate!!!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Famethrowa posted:

yeah genuinely I feel like these takes are coming from another universe. have you all never had to deal with middle management??? felt very accurate!!!

There are a lot of things in the show that ‘feel’ accurate, but are nonetheless extremely inaccurate.

And I’m not some stickler for historical accuracy, but the ‘artistic licence’ in not his case was used to have the government baddies constantly threaten to shoot innocent truth-telling people in the head while ‘ALL OF EUROPE IS ABOUT TO BE DESTROYED IN A SINGLE CATASTROPHIC EXPLOSION’ and it’s all presents as a product of man’s (abstracted, depoliticized) senseless violence against man.

Like, they have a grumpy old woman equate the disaster at Chernobyl with the October Revolution. Because it’s all just people dying, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Aglet56 posted:

It is kind of strange that they moved the date of the outbreak in The Last of Us to 2003 so that the show would take place in 2023, thus necessitating careful anachronism checking, when iirc the original game had the outbreak in 2013 and the game takes place in the future. Did they just not want to bother with any questions about how the earth would look different in 2043 what with climate change and all that? Did they not want any characters going "wow this fungal outbreak reminds me of covid?" I feel like all of these could be easily written around/ignored.

It's pretty straightforward and the show runner explained his approach. He wanted to present it as an alternative timeline to today, wasn't interested in doing a show set years in the future because he's less invested in those kinds of stories, and just liked aspects of early 00s aesthetic.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 3, 2023