Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

He'll make a great Penguin for Gotham

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

kingturnip posted:

Starmer is in deep poo poo if the media decide to turn this into a feeding frenzy. He's a corrupt, uncharismatic, political windsock with no friends in the media and a shadow cabinet cabinet in waiting filled with other corrupt uncharismatic political windsocks who'll gleefully stab him in the back the moment the polls start heading in the wrong direction.

Exactly, and by ignoring/encouraging/taking part in these behaviours under Corbyn he's absolutely setting himself up to receive exactly the same treatment when he steps out of line.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's a good thing that all of British politics is just an exotic dance to see who gains the favour of Rupert Murdoch this week.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

I'm not sure but Dr Dunce sounds like a parody account

Already had bluebells out here. And the daffodils are poking through the ground now & will probably flower in the next week.

Could be! Trevor Bastard-adjacent shitposter Dr. Ian Dunce

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

I'm not sure but Dr Dunce sounds like a parody account
Yes, the genuine Lib Dem Political Pundit and Royal Correspondent is Dr. Ian Nonce.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

The Question IRL posted:

So just so I am following this.

A bunch of people shoot Jim Caldwell at a football grounds.
He survives.
The New IRA claim responsibility.
The PSNI arrest 4 "Prominent Republicans." (IE people who are known to be connected to the New IRA.)
These 4 Republicans are released.
4 Protestant are arrested as part of this investigation.

So does this mean that these 4 guys shot this cop and tried to pin it on the New IRA? I mean it's not like the New IRA (or any flavour of IRA) would recruit Protestants.
And if so, why did the New IRA claim responsibility?

From a while back but the New IRA claim seems a little bit suspect as it didn't go through any of the channels you'd expect an IRA-adjacent organisation to go through.

Loyalists have a history of botched false flag operations. The first terror attacks against infrastructure in NI that predated the modern conflict were carried out by Loyalist terror groups in an attempt frame the IRA, who were largely defunct at that point.

The IRA doesn't really have any objections to recruiting Protestants, although it's certainly not common practice. Many of the leading figures in Irish nationalism were from a Protestant background. One of the key founders of the Provisional IRA, what most people these days think of as the IRA, was an Anglo-Irish Protestant born in London and a former RAF pilot. I'm not 100% but I think Sinn Féin have a few Prod councillors scattered about.

But yeah, 4 Protestants getting arrested doesn't hint at some sleeper Prod cell of the IRA Turbo II HD Remix: Ultimate IRA being activated.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Nothing on sunak in any of these Hancock WhatsApp messages so far?

Who?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
On top of the Tory WhatsApp leak, Starmer's Labour rebranding has leaked too

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Marmaduke! posted:

Exactly, and by ignoring/encouraging/taking part in these behaviours under Corbyn he's absolutely setting himself up to receive exactly the same treatment when he steps out of line.

Starmer will never have a single problem with doing as he's told/as he believes his job responsibilities to be (I think we need to acknowledge that he's not just taking orders, he actually is Like That by default, not least because he used to be one of the guys giving orders) and toeing the Establishment line. The problems for him will arise when things next go to poo poo for the establishment and someone needs a scapegoat, or perhaps when the awful, soul-grinding machine he's devoted his life to causes him to blurt out something so monstrous that it causes organic, grassroots public outrage that the papers choose to spur on for sheer devilry.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

On top of the Tory WhatsApp leak, Starmer's Labour rebranding has leaked too

Interesting reshuffle for the Cabinet In Waiting

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tremendous headlines for Keith tomorrow. Truly a master stroke of an appointment

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Simon Harris (the RNLI Flying Farage guy) is running one of his periodic fundraisers some might be interested and in a position to contribute:

This one follows 30p's comments about people using food banks then being seen in McD (and who knows if it was a gift from a grandparent, or apparently some local McDs are donating vouchers to local food banks) or just maybe it's cheaper for the family to eat & stay warm there than at home.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/maccieswithoutmalice

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
people getting free green beans from a food bank and then going out for prime rib - makes me SICK

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

cat botherer posted:

people getting free green beans from a food bank and then going out for prime rib - makes me SICK

Maybe the green beans have gone off then. You should stop

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Microplastics posted:

Maybe the green beans have gone off then. You should stop
I will never do that.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
really cant decide who to vote for in this SNP leadership election; mr. scootergate, the wee free or the TERF

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

cat botherer posted:

Actually, canned green beans do literally make me sick.
Frozen ones are fine though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
this isnt going to go down well but my ex always pissed me off by being totally skint and then doing things like ordering a loving mcdonalds deliveroo.

Like not only is it a waste of money but deliveroo also has actual edible food on there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kill All Cops posted:

really cant decide who to vote for in this SNP leadership election; mr. scootergate, the wee free or the TERF

Yousaf seems like the best by a wide margin, if only because the other two are so powerfully poo poo. He's got Mhairi Black backing him, too.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I'm reminded for some reason of a political comedy drama from 1998 called In The Red, with Richard Griffiths playing a down and out politician where he punches a guy with a bomb during some swanky dinner then goes on to win the election as a new third party called the Reform Party.

I'm not sure why. It just... Yeah I wish we lived in that reality instead of becoming America where all options are poo poo.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 3, 2023

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

From a while back but the New IRA claim seems a little bit suspect as it didn't go through any of the channels you'd expect an IRA-adjacent organisation to go through.

Loyalists have a history of botched false flag operations. The first terror attacks against infrastructure in NI that predated the modern conflict were carried out by Loyalist terror groups in an attempt frame the IRA, who were largely defunct at that point.

That reminds me I had been reading up on the history of the Miami Showband massacre a while back. That one turned out to be a botched Boomerang*.

*= This was a term I learned from "Condor" ,the TV adaption of the film "Three Days of the Condor" which was an adaption of the book "Six Days of the Condor".
Basically it is when an intelligence service stages a terror attack against it's enemies but does it in such a way as to look like their enemies accidentally killed themselves. The classic example is a bomb maker accidentally blowing up their own HQ.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Darth Walrus posted:

Yousaf seems like the best by a wide margin, if only because the other two are so powerfully poo poo. He's got Mhairi Black backing him, too.

yeah this is my choice and it helps that he's my customer too

NotJustANumber99 posted:

this isnt going to go down well but my ex always pissed me off by being totally skint and then doing things like ordering a loving mcdonalds deliveroo.

Like not only is it a waste of money but deliveroo also has actual edible food on there.

i have a deliveroo exclusive contract that nets me like 1 order a day so far, not bad considering i raised my prices on there by 15% to meet margins. kinda astounding how people can just spend £40+ quid on an order, along with the deliveroo service charges nicking up to £2.50 as well

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

Interesting reshuffle for the Cabinet In Waiting
I'm worried that Mike Gapes won't be able to fill that many cabinet roles.

Absolute nerve of Piss Lee to put on his recent big show about male suicide while still doubling down on his food scrounger bullshit.

"Oh int it tragic when a young man does that, unless he's doin it because he's hungry an run out of money, saves the taxpayer money then dunnit."

The Question IRL posted:

That one turned out to be a botched Boomerang*.
I'm personally disgusted by widespread Irish support (that the BBC assures me of) for the Proper IRA, the republican terror cell staffed entirely by retired SAS officers called Cecil.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

That reminds me I had been reading up on the history of the Miami Showband massacre a while back. That one turned out to be a botched Boomerang*.

*= This was a term I learned from "Condor" ,the TV adaption of the film "Three Days of the Condor" which was an adaption of the book "Six Days of the Condor".
Basically it is when an intelligence service stages a terror attack against it's enemies but does it in such a way as to look like their enemies accidentally killed themselves. The classic example is a bomb maker accidentally blowing up their own HQ.

I'd forgotten about that massacre. I just skimmed the wiki on it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Showband_killings

And quelle surprise, "UK Home Secretary Roy Jenkins introduced the Prevention of Terrorism Act, which gave the government unprecedented powers against the liberty of individuals in the United Kingdom in peacetime" (Jenkins was labour at the time).

I'm thinking of the back history of the Labour party and without researching all the details just going on half-remembered memories, the 'Westminster' party have been 'establishment men' from the start. Didn't they betray the South Wales miners back in the 1920s or did I imagine that?

(Aside: why can I smell meat pies being cooked (I never buy meat pies) and I just went out to the corridor and noone is cooking them in their flats either? I keep smelling odd things around this time of night, it seems to be phantosmia. Weird. Or what?)

Just reading more of that Miami Showband article. No wonder the establishment are so keen to prevent military from being prosecuted. What else will come out if they get in the dock?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 3, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The one good thing I can think of to say about Jenkins was that he did say that he didn't care how much Ronnie Biggs stole compared to the costs of extraditing him, bringing him back in front of a court was more important, which makes him look almost principled compared to "we will break international law to make sure that we never have to see Shamima Begum again because the Mail said she isn't really british and we're more scared of them" from more recent home secretaries.

That's a very small one good thing.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Didn't they betray the South Wales miners back in the 1920s or did I imagine that?
Sounds like left utopianism to me.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(Aside: why can I smell meat pies being cooked (I never buy meat pies) and I just went out to the corridor and noone is cooking them in their flats either? I keep smelling odd things around this time of night, it seems to be phantosmia. Weird. Or what?)

You can choose anything from a cold to a mini stroke for that one, takes very little for the sense of smell to go all weird.

The Miami Showband massacre was a hard blow to N.I. it was talked about a lot when i was growing up.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

smellmycheese posted:

Genuinely want Kieth to piss his undeserved lead away and have to suck up to the SNP and beg them to let him have a government. The thought of a Kieth majority is stomach churning.

And life threatening to disabled people and probably many other groups that I've been too depressed to research in the context of new new labour

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Tarnop posted:

And life threatening to disabled people and probably many other groups that I've been too depressed to research in the context of new new labour

I hesitate to ask but you think kier starmers labour winning the next election is a bigger threat to disabled lives than a sunak tory party staying in power?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

The one good thing I can think of to say about Jenkins was that he did say that he didn't care how much Ronnie Biggs stole compared to the costs of extraditing him, bringing him back in front of a court was more important, which makes him look almost principled compared to "we will break international law to make sure that we never have to see Shamima Begum again because the Mail said she isn't really british and we're more scared of them" from more recent home secretaries.

That's a very small one good thing.

Sounds like left utopianism to me.

Dragging out names of people that are on the edge of my memory when I first became aware of politics as a thing - Manny Shinwell!
My first instinct on reading his name just now in your link was "mate of Tony Benn" so now I have to google and see if they were on the same side.

Ed Well he gets a mention in the same breath as Corbyn, Benn & Nye Bevin. So maybe!
https://www.pressreader.com/uk/sunderland-echo/20150903/281663958775172

Just Another Lurker posted:

You can choose anything from a cold to a mini stroke for that one, takes very little for the sense of smell to go all weird.

Not a cold and I don't think it's a mini stroke. I know a couple of people (including my dad who had those) and they were hopelessly confused for a few hours. I don't think I've been hopelessly confused lately (with my 'being serious' hat on).

Ed2:

quote:

(8) Henry (Chips) Channon, diary entry (4th April, 1938)
An incident in the House of Commons. Mr Shinwell made himself highly objectionable, and unfortunately, Commander Bower, the (Conservative) member for the Cleveland Division of Yorks shouted 'Go back to Poland' *- a foolish and provocative jibe, though no ruder than many that the Opposition indulge in every day. Shinwell, shaking with fury, got up, crossed the House, and went up to Bower and smacked him very hard across the face! The crack resounded in the Chamber - there was consternation, but the Speaker, acting from either cowardice or tact, seemed to ignore the incident and when pressed, refused to rebuke Shinwell, who made an apology, as did Bower, who had taken the blow with apparent unconcern. He is a big fellow and could have retaliated effectively. The incident passed; but everyone was shocked. Bower is a pompous rear end, self-opinionated, and narrow, who walks like a. pregnant turkey. I have always disliked him, and feel justified in so doing since he once remarked in my hearing 'Everyone who even spoke to the Duke of Windsor should be banished - kicked out of the country'. But the incident does not raise Parliamentary prestige, especially now, when it is at a discount throughout the world.
*Shinwell was Jewish.
https://spartacus-educational.com/TUshinwell.htm

LOL - Bower is a pompous rear end, self-opinionated, and narrow, who walks like a. pregnant turkey. - Sounds like BloJob.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 3, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I hesitate to ask but you think kier starmers labour winning the next election is a bigger threat to disabled lives than a sunak tory party staying in power?

Yes. Labour wanted a benefit freeze this year, with 10%+ inflation. I posted a bunch of links about it in the last thread when people lost their minds about me saying Starmer labour will be worse than tories in some ways

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Tarnop posted:

Yes. Labour wanted a benefit freeze this year, with 10%+ inflation

So, to be clear, you'll vote tory next election?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So, to be clear, you'll vote tory next election?

Nope

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

but your campaigning for the tories?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

NotJustANumber99 posted:

but your campaigning for the tories?

Nope

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Youre telling people they will be better off under the tories?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Youre telling people they will be better off under the tories?

There are more than two parties to vote for

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Tarnop posted:

There are more than two parties to vote for

Yeah your right telling people they will be better off under the tories than labour (by your own metric) will probably lead to a viable third party taking power.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah your right telling people they will be better off under the tories than labour (by your own metric) will probably lead to a viable third party taking power.

A third party is more likely to benefit from people being aware of what labour have said they would do in power than just assuming they're the good guys because of branding.

Do you think labour will make things better for disabled people? Since they're probably going to win the next election it would be nice to see some evidence of good news on the horizon, and I'm not always up to date with news so maybe I've missed something

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Tarnop posted:

Do you think labour will make things better for disabled people?

I dont loving know and now i'm even more depressed.

Jeremy corbyn wants to stand as the labour candidate in his constituency? So like he holds some value in the party still? Theres others too presumably.

Better the devil you don't know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I dont loving know and now i'm even more depressed.

Jeremy corbyn wants to stand as the labour candidate in his constituency? So like he holds some value in the party still? Theres others too presumably.

Better the devil you don't know?

Jeremy Corbyn is a naive idiot though, with the political sense of an unripe avocado.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'd forgotten about that massacre. I just skimmed the wiki on it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Showband_killings

And quelle surprise, "UK Home Secretary Roy Jenkins introduced the Prevention of Terrorism Act, which gave the government unprecedented powers against the liberty of individuals in the United Kingdom in peacetime" (Jenkins was labour at the time).

I'm thinking of the back history of the Labour party and without researching all the details just going on half-remembered memories, the 'Westminster' party have been 'establishment men' from the start. Didn't they betray the South Wales miners back in the 1920s or did I imagine that?

Just reading more of that Miami Showband article. No wonder the establishment are so keen to prevent military from being prosecuted. What else will come out if they get in the dock?

Roy Jenkins is unquestionable the best Home Secretary of the 20th & 21st centuries, & probably of all time. He oversaw the end of flogging in prisons, the legalisation of abortion & decriminalisation of homosexuality, & introduced a bill to criminalise racial discrimination. Of course he also introduced Commonwealth Immigrants Act which was a dogshit xenophobic law, but considering the other people who have been Home Secretary? He actually made things better for people, almost unheard of as Home Secretary