Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
the ladder breaking was a work and hobbes was booked to fall off, the referees were going into business for themselves

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Shard posted:

so the response being a disagreement by some instead of a universal yeah you're right is what you have an issue with?

That's clearly not what he's saying (even though he is annoying and should stop posting).

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

It wasn't the worst thing in the world. It just looked stupid as poo poo. The response to the criticism of it looking dumb being a full throttle defensive scream of "LADDERS ARE ALWAYS HELD YOU STUPID DUMB BABY!!! DO YOU WANT THE WRESTLERS TO DIE?? STOP POSTING HERE!" instead of just a "lol yeah" is what made it such an issue, at least around these parts.

lol ok

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Shard posted:

so the response being a disagreement by some instead of a universal yeah you're right is what you have an issue with?

Not at all, its just the overly defensive very sarcastic responses from the usual suspects when anyone says anything slightly negative about AEW. But I guess that's a complaint for the feedback thread or whatever.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

the next AEW ladder match will have a spot where the refs are holding the ladder and another wrestler pushes them out of the way and knocks the ladder over.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rarity posted:

It woulda taken like 30 seconds

I'm agreeing with you, to be clear.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Literally every ladder match I can think of has had refs hold the ladder.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think the issue with discussions of this in this particular thread is you have people going THISBIS loving HEINOUS AWW IS KILLING QWREDTLING EITH THIS BULLSHIT, and you have goons going "I mean it wasnt that bad but it was kinda stupid." and the responses to either or get mixed together.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Will anyone care about laddergate in a week? Every little thing gets picked apart so much (especially elsewhere on the internet), you'd think Hobbs had his career potential cut short because the refs were briefly shown holding the ladder steady while the camera focused on Hobbs being the badass winner standing extra tall in front of a hot crowd.

beepo fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 2, 2023

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

1glitch0 posted:

Not at all, its just the overly defensive very sarcastic responses from the usual suspects when anyone says anything slightly negative about AEW. But I guess that's a complaint for the feedback thread or whatever.

https://i.imgur.com/BcRnCOs.gifv

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The FYAD/PYF Crew have infiltrated the AEW thread...

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I thought Hobbs standing on top of the ladder looked incredibly cool and I had no issue with the refs holding the ladder.

My only real issue was that I wish they had cut away from him during the picture in picture while he was trying to slowly get back down a couple of rungs because understandably I also would be incredibly cautious about making way back down from that position and would take as much time as he did. However, that was more on the production team than on Hobbs.

Plus, he went straight back to badass after getting down those few rungs and even moreso while he was taunting Joe and Wardlow.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Refs holding the ladder was funny IMO. They do it all the time for big spots but I guess not usually for the final moment because usually the ladder isn't destroyed.

I kind of love that Hobbs' own strength almost completely hosed him, and I think going to get another ladder would have probably felt like a weird pause in the momentum. I also found it hilarious that he stood on the VERY TOP of the ladder to get the ring, and that you could see him trying to figure out how to step back down afterwards.

The whole thing was pretty funny and Hobbs rules and I can't wait to see Hobbs beat the piss out of Joe or Wardlow, and I hope the refs help him then too.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Ganso Bomb posted:

Refs holding the ladder was funny IMO. They do it all the time for big spots but I guess not usually for the final moment because usually the ladder isn't destroyed.

I kind of love that Hobbs' own strength almost completely hosed him, and I think going to get another ladder would have probably felt like a weird pause in the momentum. I also found it hilarious that he stood on the VERY TOP of the ladder to get the ring, and that you could see him trying to figure out how to step back down afterwards.

The whole thing was pretty funny and Hobbs rules and I can't wait to see Hobbs beat the piss out of Joe or Wardlow, and I hope the refs help him then too.

Joe, then Wardlow please

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

It wasn't the worst thing in the world. It just looked stupid as poo poo. The response to the criticism of it looking dumb being a full throttle defensive scream of "LADDERS ARE ALWAYS HELD YOU STUPID DUMB BABY!!! DO YOU WANT THE WRESTLERS TO DIE?? STOP POSTING HERE!" instead of just a "lol yeah" is what made it such an issue, at least around these parts.

I don’t think anyone is defending it in all caps. People are just acting like this killed the business or something which is ridiculous and should be made fun of. They had people holding the ladder in matches as far back as the 80s. Possibly earlier

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
My grandpa was holding ladders for Pompero Firpo and The Sheik at Cobo Hall nearly 70 years ago.

This was for Big Time Wrestling, and yes, holding the ladders is what put them out of business

Malcolm Excellent fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 2, 2023

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if i had to bet i don't think either of those guys ever had a ladder match

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Those refs were trying to tip the ladder but Hobbs is too powerful

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
You know what was funny about the ladder-holding spot? It was afterward when Hobbs looked scared shitless (I would have been too, honestly) and had to gingerly get down a few rungs without breaking his neck, but then had to look all mean and buff holding the ring a few seconds later.

Hobbs rules.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

enigmahfc posted:

You know what was funny about the ladder-holding spot? It was afterward when Hobbs looked scared shitless (I would have been too, honestly) and had to gingerly get down a few rungs without breaking his neck, but then had to look all mean and buff holding the ring a few seconds later.

Hobbs rules.

I loved the crowd popping big for him managing to take the first 2 steps down

https://twitter.com/stephaniemchase/status/1631109133071192066

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I don't like using my stepladder to change the filter on my AC. I sympathize.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ringo Roadagain posted:

I loved the crowd popping big for him managing to take the first 2 steps down

https://twitter.com/stephaniemchase/status/1631109133071192066

He’s the best

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/reigns_era/status/1631341822000734210

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

didn't he die

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He lost a match to Bray which means he can just come back like nothing happened at any time

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Idk why people are so mad about Hobbs and the busted ladder, I thought they wanted people to work the legs

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Eli Drake winning whatever belt that is would be funny

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Slate Rockwell

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s the WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT C

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
That wasn't a joke I don't know what WWE calls their belts, and they all look the same

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think that the wwe historic welterweight title

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

DarkstarIV posted:

They also seem to like to parrot points from Konnan, Bully Ray, and Vince Russo, all of whom are massive pieces of poo poo just like Cornette.

Any of the above would still have joshi/puro talent coming out to Orient Express.mp3 and pantomime english dubbing, if they were booking.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

The_Rob posted:

Literally every ladder match I can think of has had refs hold the ladder.

You are correct and it's a running joke BUT and this us a huge but it wasn't just one ref it was the trios referee tag team all working in tandem. I freely think it should be accepted it looked dumb and was a hilarious botch. AEW is allowed to have dumb moments that don't need to be defended and treated like lol stupid.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Lid posted:

You are correct and it's a running joke BUT and this us a huge but it wasn't just one ref it was the trios referee tag team all working in tandem. I freely think it should be accepted it looked dumb and was a hilarious botch. AEW is allowed to have dumb moments that don't need to be defended and treated like lol stupid.

I think calling it a botch is ridiculous

Do you watch Japanese wrestling?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lid posted:

it looked completely normal

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The sparklersplosion was a botch too, it's sometimes things go wrong such as the ladder entirely breaking and needing everyone to hold it. Yes in Japan ref's also are dumb and useless but like I said it was the sheer number of refs that everyone noticed making a visual of them all aiding Hobbs specifically to win. It's a dumb thing that happened that doesn't need to recontextualised.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I get people saying get another ladder but it's TV time's tight and it could take forever too which would also have people complain.

Really what should of been done is once the position the ladder looked bad the camera angle should of been changed so the TV audience didn't see the ref's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lid posted:

I don't think it looked dumb.