Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

mystes posted:

yeah I think I'll hold out for Terra Nil instead

TN looks super cool, I've had it wish listed for a while but I can't recall how I originally discovered it

Riftbreaker should be on game pass, that's where I originally played it. It kind of wore out its welcome for me towards the end, but I still thought it was very cool for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Forgot to cancel my humble monthly, so here are a couple of keys

Pathfinder WotR is a good game, but I already have it: GN6IR-4XAER-AYEM2

I usually redeem bundle keys for games I don't already have even if I don't intend to play them ever because monkey brain, but here's one I don't even want showing up in my library, possibly messing with the recommendation algorithm,

Five Dates: DQM8J-QZ6PF-J54PK

skeletronics fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 3, 2023

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

skeletronics posted:

Pathfinder WotR is a good game, but I already have it: GN6IR-4XAER-AYEM2

Thank you, my friend! Great timing, I had this store page open just this morning.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I think the only things I'm really excited about for this month are Terra Nil and The Great War: Western Front, but I didn't get to play the demos for either of those, so that excitement is a bit tempered with caution. Anyways, starting the night's cleaning...

EDIT: Oh wait, DROP is apparently coming out on the 28th! People were excited for that, right? I know I am!

Spring (Sale) Cleaning - March 2nd

DEMO - Empires of the Undergrowth, aka Ants: The RTS. People are complaining about how the devs are slow to release updates, but I can't parse how much of that is fair versus the usual Steam comment section whining. Seemed a little slow/clunky when I played it, although I think they admit that's been changed in the full game. If you like the subject matter and aren't worried about the perils of a very long early access it seems worth investigating.

DEMO - Erra: Exordium is an action adventure game set in a mashup Akkadian/Dieselpunk world, where a whole bunch of people died of some mystery plague from the gods and now you're trying to figure out what's going on and either fix it or get revenge or something. The plot takes a little bit to get going, and isn't helped by the dialogue being kind of badly written. The gameplay felt pretty slow and punishing too. I think Erra: Exordium could be better executed, but on the other hand, there sure are a lot of people out there who like dark, gritty, atmospheric games with punishing combat who won't mind its negatives.

DEMO - Warhammer 40,000: Dakka Squadron - Flyboyz Edition is an arcade aerial shooter set in the 40k universe. It's also a very obvious mobile port. If you're not used to plane games you'll find its gameplay unintuitive and disorienting, and if you are used to them then you'll get bored very quickly. It's not terrible though, and might still be worth getting on a very cheap sale for a couple hours of fun if you really like plane games or 40k.

PREVIOUSLY PLAYED - When I reviewed DROP, I said that the extremes of the hacking game genre either teach you how to code or abstract out the computer touching entirely. Black Ice is somehow even less of a game about actually hacking than DROP, in that you are just playing a looter FPS with the hacking element being that you are in cyberspace and your computer provides creates the localized arena in which you fight off a system's defenses/provides stat bonuses. I've found it a bit empty/obvious that it's a indie project, with attempts at compensating for that through gimmick arenas, but I do have to give the dev props for updating it even 9 years after nominal release. So it's another one that I tend to forget about for a few years, then poke at for a couple of minutes to see if it's gotten any better before uninstalling.

DEMO - CHORUS is a space shooter where the unique mechanic is that your character has psychic powers to supplement her own piloting skills and the abilities of her sentient spaceship. Feels like a very 7/10 game that wants to have larger ambitions but doesn't really have the depth in any aspect (gameplay, graphics, music, plot) for more. I'd still probably recommend it over Dakka Squadron unless you're a 40K fan, since it goes on sale for $15 at the drop of a hat and ends up being comparable in price and a generally better experience.

PREVIOUSLY PLAYED - Nova Drift is an arcade space shooter whose claim to fame is you evolve your ship over time via a series of mods. Most of the reviewers on Steam describe it as "what if you were making Asteroids, but with 2020s game design sensibilities." It's a little slippy-slidey at best and that's even without you taking the mods that encourage you to fly all over the place for maximum damage, but otherwise works very well. Probably the first game on this list that I might see myself regularly coming back to if I try to keep it in focus a bit more, unless one of the better demo games I already did has a really good sale and I fall in love with the full version.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 3, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nvidia is accidentally announcing other peoples games again :laugh:

https://twitter.com/gabefollower/status/1631002572881362954

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

HL3 confirmed

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

then again it's valve so even if CSGO2 is truly in development there's only like a 1 in 10 chance of it ever coming out

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Counter Strike Global Offensive Source 2

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Finally a 2.0 release after so many years of being stuck at 1.6

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The 7th Guest posted:

Terra Nil - March 28th

Unfuck the world in this chill reverse take on the builder genre, where you restore nature and then clean up after yourself before you leave. It's a cool concept and the demo was fun.

Comment: The "reverse builder" is marketing spiel, it's 100% a builder game where you happen to paint the map with green instead of grey. From the demo, mechanics are puzzle-like instead of intuition-based; e.g. a watering can only waters the surrounding ground once when it's placed, not continuously, so you have to plan your order of moves a lot.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

they called it a reverse builder because later on part of the puzzle is packing up all your buildings and leaving.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

repiv posted:

then again it's valve so even if CSGO2 is truly in development there's only like a 1 in 10 chance of it ever coming out

well, at least its not CSGO3

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wo Long is getting poo poo on really hard on Steam. Is the PC port just completely unplayable garbage or what happened?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How is it different to DSP?

There is almost no factory/management stuff in Riftbreaker. It's an RTS tower defense where you play as a hero unit while your towers shoot things, and the RTS building/resource gathering stuff is more involved than normal RTS fare (several resources, building both extractors and refineries for each, etc).

There are no logistics, conveyor belts, etc. or any fiddly building stuff, the buildings are pretty much all "just place it somewhere" (but try to remember where because you might need to visit it later).

It's a good game but definitely don't go in expecting anything like DSP, it's an action/arcade combat-focused RTS base builder/turtling game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Jossar posted:

Spring (Sale) Cleaning - March 2nd

DEMO - Empires of the Undergrowth, aka Ants: The RTS. People are complaining about how the devs are slow to release updates, but I can't parse how much of that is fair versus the usual Steam comment section whining. Seemed a little slow/clunky when I played it, although I think they admit that's been changed in the full game. If you like the subject matter and aren't worried about the perils of a very long early access it seems worth investigating.
Empires of the Undergrowth seems to be the successor to Sim Ant. It has the expected war between your species of ant versus other/s, along with many kinds of hostile hazards/predators both above and underground, with sizes as small as ants to monsters dwarfing the laser spider. There are many kinds of species of ant with their own tech trees and way of living. Species of leaf cutters that grow fungus, slavers, aphid ranchers, not all eat-what-they-kill types. You mold your colony by designating where you want the nurseries, food storage, queen's chamber, etc. Those also can be upgraded to be more efficient. Your food supplies and barrack space limits the size of your colony and replacement units. Each ant takes a certain amount of food to grow and replace.

It has an RPG element of upgrading various aspects of your colony, giving ants extra powers to their attacks or increasing their stats. Queens can get boosts that include growing massive ants that serve as royal guards or sudden nursery growth. Kind of how Starcraft 2 does its upgrades, but not based on unit kills. Multiple difficulty options.
There are many modes to play in besides 1v1 including: Survival against endless hordes, free play with features you see in other RTS games, scenarios like was introduced in the SNES Sim Ant, your personal colony that grows over time and faces challenges introduced by a jerk narrator.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

repiv posted:

getting to 2 is not the hard part for Valve so I'm sure it's happening

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you can tile tabs with the chrome-based vivaldi browser, it's available on linux so it should work on steam deck

drat, thank you! i won't admit that i'm struggling to install an app. it will be fine.

by which i mean, it doesn't download as an installer like the site says it should. it might not be compatible with this os. it doesnt offer alternate download methods, and its not in the discover shop/appstore.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

I said come in! posted:

Wo Long is getting poo poo on really hard on Steam. Is the PC port just completely unplayable garbage or what happened?
The negative reviews I see are about the M+KB controls being dogshit, so maybe that's the issue. It never occurred to me to even attempt playing a game like this with M+KB so I'm not too worried about that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I said come in! posted:

The port is fine, definitely some performance issues/hitches but seems like it's a lot of complaints about the keyboard and mouse controls being unusable which, well.. :shrug:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The complaints are about the mouse and keyboard controls for wo long which are the same as demo and bad I guess. I've always played Soulsy games with a controller :shrug:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

explosivo posted:

The port is fine, definitely some performance issues/hitches but seems like it's a lot of complaints about the keyboard and mouse controls being unusable which, well.. :shrug:
cowcaster's hosed then

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
fake rear end yakuza gamers out here after all this time

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Most of the current reviews seem to be in Chinese. But according the Google Translate, yeah, the PC controls seem to be the biggest problem. Also, according to one reviewer('s translation through Google), "...the automatic switching target window is smaller than your mother's rear end in a top hat" and "...the execution distance is shorter than that of the main creator of the loving Happy Beans."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That’s a nice thing to say about my mother

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Diephoon posted:

fake rear end yakuza gamers out here after all this time

Yeah you would think after like 8+ Yakuza games on steam now telling everyone to buy a controller, this would be a non issue. Glad to know Wo Long is actually fine on pc.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

they should port skate 3 to PC, i want to see people explode in anger because it would never have keyboard & mouse support.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

why can't i play beat saber with my keyboard and mouse this is bullshit

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mescal posted:

drat, thank you! i won't admit that i'm struggling to install an app. it will be fine.

by which i mean, it doesn't download as an installer like the site says it should. it might not be compatible with this os. it doesnt offer alternate download methods, and its not in the discover shop/appstore.

Apparently installing stuff on SteamOS is kinda weird and hacky compared to a typical Linux distro:

https://blogs.igalia.com/berto/2022/09/13/adding-software-to-the-steam-deck-with-systemd-sysext/

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Here are a few keys.

And hey, I'll use spoiler tags to give you that one extra step toward finding out the one you want has been sniped, why not?

XCOM 2: 45DEP-Q76FK-DGKK0
PAYDAY 2: 3MFRL-RH6QV-WHQVK
Euro Truck Simulator 2: 8M2WB-QRAX9-WBDXI
System Shock 2: 6LWQY-NPPM2-GKEZ4
Monaco: 3J0ZM-PZCL6-C4VJ2
Hack 'n' Slash: 4QZJJ-XMDNF-KHB0I

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

they should port skate 3 to PC, i want to see people explode in anger because it would never have keyboard & mouse support.

The gods listened and gave us Session: https://store.steampowered.com/app/861650/Session_Skate_Sim/

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

games this month:

Imagine my surprise after all of the red flags I had felt from past demo festivals when, this past month, in drops a brand new System Shock demo, and it's everything people wanted a remake to be. It's authentic but modernized, with a look that is shiny but true to the original, and a much less obtrusive UI. Has Nightdive threaded the needle? I'm a little concerned that a specific date hasn't been listed yet, and I wouldn't be surprised if this got delayed, but for now it's here on the list.

e: some games that were slated for this month but got moved-- Supplice, and Melon Journey, got moved to April 6th. I believe Crimson Diamond was at one point targeting March but is now just "to be announced" for the release date.

Thanks for the list! I need to try that demo that’s still up.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Putting both Riftbreaker and Terra Nil in your steam library is like turning on a humidifier and a dehumidifier on at the same time

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Runa posted:

Putting both Riftbreaker and Terra Nil in your steam library is like turning on a humidifier and a dehumidifier on at the same time

Well, if you also have DSP then at least you don't mind the energy waste!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Figment is 100% off for the next week to celebrate the release of the sequel. It's worth checking out at that price.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The 7th Guest posted:

games this month: :words:
thank you for doing these posts, i had no idea Terra Nil was so close to release. been looking forward to that a lot ever since the demo

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

skeletronics posted:

I usually redeem bundle keys for games I don't already have even if I don't intend to play them ever because monkey brain, but here's one I don't even want showing up in my library, possibly messing with the recommendation algorithm,

Five Dates: DQM8J-QZ6PF-J54PK

Lol, I got this bundle because I hadn't gotten Othercide or Wrath of the Righteous yet and I keep being inches away from telling my friend I got them a game and giving them the key for this.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

https://dukope.itch.io/mars-after-midnight/devlog/495856/gameplay-loop

lot of info about Mars after Midnight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

explosivo posted:

It's wonky even on controller but it at least doesn't affect gameplay too much. I think it's simulating moving the mouse and clicking on menus which is some weird poo poo and for me keeps making the cursor appear even if I move it offscreen. I tried Kb+M and people are right to complain about that for sure, it's really, really bad. The original Dark Souls port felt better.

As for the game it's hard to explain but it feels... old? Somehow moreso than Nioh 1. It's definitely not for me.

Reviews calling Wo Long an approachable soulslike are talking absolute horseshit as well; if I recommended this game to someone who wanted something approachable they'd never listen to me again. I've played through the 2 Nioh games and combat in this is a lot harder to read than either of them, but at least early on nothing punishes you if you just hold block along with whatever you're trying to do.

edit; im playing on gamepass so its possible the controller jank ive seen doesnt happen on steam, ymmv

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 3, 2023