Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Beau Bennett being able to constantly make jokes out of his terrifying injury history and short NHL career will always put a smile on my face. Its nice to see someone make the best out of a bad situation (yes the millions of dollars he made playing certainly help with this).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

Schenn is supposedly starting on the "top" pair with Rielly.

Why is any of this happening.

Given Rielly’s play this year it would be nice if this was the Leafs third pairing, but alas

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Furnaceface posted:

Beau Bennett being able to constantly make jokes out of his terrifying injury history and short NHL career will always put a smile on my face. Its nice to see someone make the best out of a bad situation (yes the millions of dollars he made playing certainly help with this).

He regularly makes jokes about the many times he's caught COVID and I can't tell if it's a bit or not anymore.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Zucker's dad looks like the grandfather from Fargo

Norstars'

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1631485817284702209?t=_FAVYC972VfD7mB5axRQAQ&s=19

If only for one day, Ottawa wins the trade.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I remember being so mad when Ottawa drafted Brady instead of Filip Zadina lmao. Not sure there’s anybody I would take in 2018 over him in a re-draft. PPG this year and dominant physically since he entered the league, absolute specimen.

https://twitter.com/rtaub_/status/1631475736451137538?s=46&t=lstM41MNq_pAmCzlk84-ew

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Pittsburgh Penguins

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Ginette Reno posted:

The Pittsburgh Penguins

https://imgur.com/a/wfR1Otu

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Ginette Reno posted:

The Pittsburgh Penguins

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Is this a good or bad place on that chart

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Is this a good or bad place on that chart

extremely good op

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the Bruins have broken 100 points with a quarter of the season remaining

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ginette Reno posted:

The Pittsburgh Penguins

:negative:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Slightly disappointed this wasn't going to be what I thought it might be.

Decent enough effort. Geno's line was demolished and Dumo remains a 1 team wrecking crew. But that's 4 wins in a row now so :toot:

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

VOTE1 posted:

It’s a legit question given Sutter while under team control was treating covid with horse drugs.

Edit: can anyone explain why OEL’s buyout starts with a year where you pay virtually nothing? https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/oliver-ekman-larsson
That seems like a trap perfectly designed to lure short term thinkers in…

Here's how the math on buyouts work:

Step 1) OEL is over 26 so take his remaining contract value and multiply by 2/3. Remaining salary of 29M * 2/3 = 19,333,333

Step 2) Spread the value you get from step 1 over 2x the remaining contract years 19,333,333 / 8 = 2,416,667

Step 3) Take the original base salary, ignoring any signing bonuses, and subtract the value from step 2. For 2023-24 this is 10,500,000 - 2,416,667 = 8,083,333

Step 4) Take the AAV of the contract for the year you're looking at and subtract the value you got from step 3. For 2023-24 this is 8,250,000 - 8,083,333 = 166,667

Step 5) Split the number from step 4 to each team that has salary cap retention in their proportions. Arizona is retaining 12% and Vancouver has 88% so Vancouver's hit is 166,667 * 0.88 = 146,667 and Arizona has the remaining $20,000.

Then you repeat steps 3 through 5 for every remaining year in the buyout period.

edit: OEL is in the standard buyout sort of situation when buyouts are actually used. The way buyouts work, front-loading contracts that go bad make buyouts initially give you a lot of leeway if you're short sighted or in a crunch then they hit hard for a few years (see Minnesota's coming cap crunch). Buyouts for players with signing bonuses give significantly less cap relief than if it was base salary. Buyouts for players 25 or younger are a lot better for a team's cap relief, and buyouts for players 35 or older basically don't give cap relief and are more to get rid of a player that sucks and that you can't move.

fermun fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 3, 2023

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Thanks for that.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
on the topic of canucks training staff, the NFLPA commissioned a survey of its entire playerbase recently to do "report cards" for all the teams in the league, ranking them in categories like training staff, facilities, nutrition, etc.(https://nflpa.com/nfl-player-team-report-cards) i would be extremely interested in what an NHL survey would reveal about teams.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

hate to see it

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I like that headline

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
thats a really good one, the pun headlines have been lacking over the last few years

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
During tonight's postgame presser where the Panthers lost in regulation to the Predators, a team that has acquired 8 draft picks this trade deadline by selling off people, Paul Maurice looked and sounded like the same dude that quit on the Winnipeg Jets last year. I am praying that it is an indication that he is either resigning, or knows he will get fired if the Panthers miss the playoffs. The Panthers have looked their best just straight up ignoring his lovely grinding system. Please please please please get rid of this rear end in a top hat.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

RIP The Flames

A big wet fart of a season

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Huberdeau was a ghostly presence. Good thing his contract is up but it'll be hard for the Flames to get max value for him in this deep draft year.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

It took the Canucks to March to be involved in a 2-1 game.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Congrats PAS all your issues are solved

https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1631624945343004673?s=46&t=LVw7BSH-KSNuqImbF_iTNQ

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bonino's old but he still takes brutal minutes and makes lemonade which is exactly what we need.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

O/U on "trickle in after the deadline" references on tradecentre set at 4.5

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/TSN_Sports/status/1631641421542305792

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

eXXon posted:

Huberdeau was a ghostly presence. Good thing his contract is up but it'll be hard for the Flames to get max value for him in this deep draft year.

He already resigned for a gigantic contract. He’s not moving.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Awesome, the oldest team in the NHL gets even older

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Well I’m about to go to bed (australia), when I wake up if JT Miller, OEL and Myers could all be on other teams that would be great.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Awesome, the oldest team in the NHL gets even older

let's wait on the return now
there's a chance they had to take McGinn for him to make the money work and if so that's a huge net positive

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Getting Bones back makes sense. Cheap, easy, and a known quantity to the coach/team. Helps the PK. Still decent numbers despite brutal deployments. Not exactly a big heavy 3rd liner like Ron was quote about yesterday, but whatever. Now when Ron extends him for 3x2 mil per then I'm going to be annoyed.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
With Dahlin and Tuch on IR and no moves at the deadline I think it's safe to stick a fork in the Sabres playoff chances. They had been treading water for the past 10 or so games, along with all of the other Eastern WC contenders but are now 0-2 without Tuch/Dahlin and they have the 2nd hardest remaining strength of schedule in the league.

Not falling out of the WC race until March is a success for this joke of a franchise, but the way it played out is pretty disappointing. The holes in this lineup are so glaringly obvious and they just refuse to fix them, while sitting on $25mil in cap space.

I also think there's going to be very little movement by the Sabres in the offseason.

Craig Anderson will retire and they'll roll with UPL and Comrie with Levi signing his ELC and heading to Rochester.

The entire defense is signed through next season. Ryan Johnson will sign his ELC, or he'll turn into a 2nd round comp pick in 2024.

Okposo, Girgensons and Hinostroza are UFAs and Jost is an RFA.

Okposo: nice little resurgence last season, named captain over the summer, lost another 2 steps and is completely cooked this year. Almost guarantee they'll extend him.

Girgs: Fine 4th line guy with good defensive metrics at 5v5. Hope they resign him

Jost and Hino likely gone

I expect the Sabres will wait for the dust to settle in UFA and sign a bargain bin NHL/AHL tweener or two for the 4th line and make no other moves of note. And I expect to be right back here next March falling out of the WC race again.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

eXXon posted:

Yeah they'll have to sell low but should still be able to get a 1st roun... No wait that'd be silly, let's give him $84 million instead, ignore the scratched out Johnny Gaudreau and just sign there Jonathan.

Ahhhh drafting 14th...15th... The mediocrity just feels right.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
do we think duthie goes mad from too much trades or no trades today

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

th3t00t posted:

Buffalo stuff

Kinda funny you're calling for the fork because Buffalo is in the same spot they've been for at least the last month. 4 points back with 4 games in hand. In addition to those 4 games in hand there are also 2 match ups against the Isles as well.

That said yeah the injuries are back breaking and the roster too thin and goaltending not good enough to overcome.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Arivia posted:

do we think duthie goes mad from too much trades or no trades today

I hope it's both.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Also, happy trade deadline day everyone, the holiday for celebrating loving around at the office when there isn't work to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Feels like all the known pieces that had to move have been so hopefully they just get really weird with it today