Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Brrrmph posted:

I rented the 70-300 last year for a Florida vacation and enjoyed it very much on my X-T30. Snappy, lightweight, smooth zoom. This isn’t a great shot as I wasn’t prepared for the eagle to come out of nowhere, but it’s a photo from the lens that I have on my phone.

Nice photo! I just got a bald eagle shot from the 70-300 with a 1.4 tc on it like three days ago. Apparently bald eagles come with the kit.

I had the 55-200 beforehand, and sold it to get the 70-300. I don’t miss the 55-70 range and would definitely go with the 70-300 with a tc. Fantastic lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I also picked up the 55-200 a few years ago because I wanted to get photos of fall leaves turning colors, and it does well for that, but I did finally get it for sports use recently as well.

@ 135 mm

@ 200 mm

@ 95 mm

@ 200 mm

I got it before the 70-300 was even announced I think, but for the price I paid I'm pretty happy. Seems to work well, just maybe a little wider for dark/bokehhhhh purposes might be nicer, but it's reach and works well enough on the X-T20 that I don't have many complaints.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

pumped up for school posted:

I picked up the 70-300 last month used. I'm a little puzzled because it's been beating the pants off my 16-80 for general sharpness. So I'm super happy with the 70-300 but wondering wtf I'm doing wrong with the 16-80, same lighting conditions, same targets, really.

Well, my 55-200 is noticeably sharper than my 18-55. I would expect a similar difference between the 70-300 and the 16-80. The Fuji kit lenses are great, but the telephoto zooms are still a step above. Hard to say of course if that's the only reason in your case.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I recently got a 55-200 and it’s become my most used lens. It’s also about as heavy/large I would want to carry around with me on my X-s10. I haven’t tried the 70-300, but I suspect if I did I’d be switching lenses more often as I do frequently use the 55 end rather than step down to 35 or whatever. I find I tend to use the 18-55 at either end more than I do in the middle when out and around.

I’ve also found it’s sharpness super impressive. The max aperture doesn’t bother me as I’m only using it outside and in daylight, for interior or night stuff I switch to a prime (currently the 35mm f2 but as above am lusting after the 18mm f1.4).

The 70-300 may be better but I love the 55-200 so much as a general lens.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I wasn’t sure if telephoto was for me so I grabbed the xc 50-230 for 120 brand new and was surprised by how crazy sharp it was. I have the 300 now and wouldn’t trade it for anything. But I’d recommend considering the xc lens over the 55-200 just for the price difference.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Brrrmph posted:

Maybe I should give MPB another try. Everyone has good experiences, it seems. I did not, but apparently it was when they were switching warehouses or something so they were a little bit messed up.

i still never received the lens i bought from MPB last spring. mostly FedEx's fault I think, but they offered no assistance after it went missing, and they don't even require a signature on their packages. meanwhile KEH will require you to sign for a $10 lens hood

I'm kinda mad too cause MPB has the best prices on the Pentax KP that i wanna pick up soon

e: panasonic g9 beaver shot i got last week with the Panaleica 50-200

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 4, 2023

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Nice beaver.

Did you eat the cost of the missing lens?

I had a customer service issue with MPB and it was impossible to get a hold of anyone and when I did, they would send me an email, I would respond, and they would never respond again in that chain. I talked to at least four people about the issue over separate email chains, none which resolved the issue. It was a nightmare.

Thankfully, I paid through PayPal and PayPal helped resolve the issue.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
yeah, I had to eat the ~$400 and then saved up to buy a better new lens locally instead. I experienced pretty much the same thing with intermittent emails from their customer service over a few weeks to no resolution. It felt like they thought I was trying to scam them.

I may just request that they require a signature for delivery if I ever order from MPB again.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoyed using my Canon EOS R caemra the other day

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Is this the US MPB, because EU MPB has had quick email responses for me.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I had to sign for my X-T4 and lens from MPB. Luckily fedex came at like noon when I was actually home since I work nights. If I worked a regular schedule I’d be pissed, who is home at noon?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if you paid for something and didn't receive it, and didn't do a chargeback, you done hosed up

my mpb story is that i ordered an olympus 12mm for a quite good price, and i guess they goofed. cause they also sent me the lens hood that msrps for a hundred bucks and isn't usually included with the lens. it's kinda bent, but i'm stoked for the free lens hood

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 7, 2023

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Is this the US MPB, because EU MPB has had quick email responses for me.

USA for me

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I have an XT-10 and am considering upgrading to an XT-3 or XT-5. Will the dynamic range on either be that much of a step up from the XT-10?

The XT-3 is exactly half as much as the XT-5, so I’m weighing how much I need that extra resolution and ibis…

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

they look similar

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

frogbs posted:

I have an XT-10 and am considering upgrading to an XT-3 or XT-5. Will the dynamic range on either be that much of a step up from the XT-10?

The XT-3 is exactly half as much as the XT-5, so I’m weighing how much I need that extra resolution and ibis…

I’ve spent a little time with the X-T5 and I own an X-T4. Having the IBIS is super nice.

Unless you’re gonna blow the picture up huge when you print or crop, I’m not convinced the extra MP matters for most folks.

I’d hunt for an X-T4 if you can find it - if you’re patient you can find them for $850-900.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i have a wide angle lens and a macro lens and an adapter for a long telephoto. now it means that the limitations are purely my own, because i can't blame my gear not being able to do what i want

my main camera is a panasonic g95 so admitting that mft crop is totally fine for me kinda makes me feel bad. maybe one day i'll outgrow it, but not today, and not tomorrow

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
according to beeftweeter, mft is the greatest camera system ever devised

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Has anyone ITT used the Sony A7iv and its critter eye autofocus for birding?

I love my 200-600 but the A7ii seems to struggle hard with a lot of subjects and picks whatever's highest contrast in the AF area, so I've got hundreds of photos of in-focus branches with blurry birds sitting on them.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i've used it on an A7riv, but the longest lens has been 200mm. works really well, only has a problem in very low light AND poor contrast simultaneously. cats and birds, so far.

i've heard about the 200-400's AF sometimes having issues on anything other than bodies from the newest couple generations.

The Lone Lemon
Mar 22, 2006
...rides again

frogbs posted:

Sorry, your post is a bit old, but it really depends on what you're shooting. I like IBIS (X-H1) because I shoot theatre and outdoors with vintage telephoto glass and those extra stops make a huge difference. If you're not shooting in low light or at super long focal lengths, the IBIS isn't as crucial. I also have an X-T3 and if you're not doing the things I mentioned, it's going to be a huge jump up from the X-T10. I'd save the money and grab that instead of the X-T5.

Edit: X-T10, not X-10

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Well I bit the bullet and got an a7iv. Holy poo poo the af is amazingly better than the ii

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

Well I bit the bullet and got an a7iv. Holy poo poo the af is amazingly better than the ii

I experienced a similar rush going from NEX-6 to A7C

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Sold my X100F today, for $500 more than I paid for it originally (secondhand) a few years ago.

Amazing camera, but not amazing enough to make me finally vibe with 35mm equivalent as a focal length.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
For me, I found it was typically possible to just stand a little closer to the subject matter when switching to FF.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Thinking I might trade my 16-55 f2.8 in and get the 23mm F1.4 R, and the 70-300. I kind of want to just rent the 70-300 to try out, but it would be 1/3 paid for a 2 week rental and I know I'd probably want to use it again. MPB sounds like the place to use for that. When you trade in, and they give you the valuation can you then just use that as credit against other lenses they have in stock?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I have family visiting, and I have gotten both onto the Fuji train, but holy poo poo it has been tough to get Fuji stuff around Tokyo at the moment. The big-box stores only had the X-H2, X-T5 and X-S10 bodies new, and we’ve had trouble finding many of the Fujicron lenses. I think we snagged the last 27 WR pancake from one.

We did manage to find a used X-T30 and new 35/2 from two different outlets of a smaller camera chain, but drat, it’s been a wild one. The exchange rate and duty free at least has been helpful.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

harperdc posted:

I have family visiting, and I have gotten both onto the Fuji train, but holy poo poo it has been tough to get Fuji stuff around Tokyo at the moment. The big-box stores only had the X-H2, X-T5 and X-S10 bodies new, and we’ve had trouble finding many of the Fujicron lenses. I think we snagged the last 27 WR pancake from one.

We did manage to find a used X-T30 and new 35/2 from two different outlets of a smaller camera chain, but drat, it’s been a wild one. The exchange rate and duty free at least has been helpful.

I noticed that MPB is listing used XF 27mm 2.8 WR’s at about $15 OVER the new MSRP. Fuji stuff has gotten crazy popular I guess? I knew the X100V was having a moment, but even lenses?!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Fuji are also limiting what they are making. It's kinda a hole they dug themselves by having so many cameras existing at once, they are unable to manufacture them all.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Mega Comrade posted:

Fuji are also limiting what they are making. It's kinda a hole they dug themselves by having so many cameras existing at once, they are unable to manufacture them all.

If you think that's bad, try shooting with their film!

:smith:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

harperdc posted:

I have family visiting, and I have gotten both onto the Fuji train, but holy poo poo it has been tough to get Fuji stuff around Tokyo at the moment.
If you live in Japan/have the time to wait, Kitamura has a pretty robust second-hand network that lets you order to inspect at your local branch for free, though you do have to pay a small restocking fee if you don't buy.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

If you live in Japan/have the time to wait, Kitamura has a pretty robust second-hand network that lets you order to inspect at your local branch for free, though you do have to pay a small restocking fee if you don't buy.

Only bodies new at Bic Camera and Yodobashi: X-T5, X-H2, X-S10.

Walked nearby to a Kitamura: Find a body only X-T30 in incredibly good condition for 90,000 JPY. Bloody hell. Another Kitamura was the only place we found the 35/2 WR in stock, new or used.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Finger Prince posted:

Thinking I might trade my 16-55 f2.8 in and get the 23mm F1.4 R, and the 70-300. I kind of want to just rent the 70-300 to try out, but it would be 1/3 paid for a 2 week rental and I know I'd probably want to use it again. MPB sounds like the place to use for that. When you trade in, and they give you the valuation can you then just use that as credit against other lenses they have in stock?

Yeah, you can offset the cost of buying gear from them by selling other gear to them.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I paid $550 for an open box X-T30 and 15-45 about 18 months ago and I’m pretty sure I could get that or more for it today. The smaller Fuji bodies and x100 series are quite trendy.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Looks like I should be able to more or less straight trade my fuji 16-55mm f2.8 for a 70-300mm. Then at a later date I'll pick up a 23mm f2 to cover my wider needs. I'll have to get creative with only 70mm at the wide end, but I think I'll need that lens more than the wide zoom in the next few months.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

harperdc posted:

I have family visiting, and I have gotten both onto the Fuji train, but holy poo poo it has been tough to get Fuji stuff around Tokyo at the moment.

Sorry that's my fault. Also yours for telling me about all those stores.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Fuji launched a new smartphone app, the Fujifilm XApp app. Maybe in TYOOL 2023 it'll finally be decent?

e: Also the X-S20 which is probably a very decent successor to the X-S10, and a new super wide angle prime which actually seems interesting.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
The X-S20 looks nifty but the $1,300 price seems steep.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

New app won’t pair with my camera so that’s business as usual. It also requires full time location access and notifications on iOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
So who’s getting a Q3?