Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Final Arc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

"Attack on Titan: Beyond the Walls".

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Anyway, here's how the series actually ends.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igq6TKagpUQ

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Well you can't call it that because it's a huge spoiler for anyone not already watching the show.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sockser posted:

Attack on Titan: The Final Season: Season 3: Part 1

Lol. Ahh that poo poo makes me laugh.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
AOT: Royal Rumble

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
They should've called everything post-basement "The Attack Titan."

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

christmas boots posted:

AOT: Royal Rumble

The Most Spectacular Two-Night Attack On Titan Saturday and The Most Spectacular Two-Night Attack on Titan Sunday

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

DaiJiaTeng posted:

and as always, can't wait to see how the internet reacts.

After seeing enough posts of "King Floch 🤴" and "this show is so well-written, it really makes you understand why genocide is necessary" I have to say I really don't want to know what the internet has to say about it at all.

It's not fair, I guess, but it's definitely negatively affected my feelings about the show seeing such a large percentage of people wholeheartedly support what Eren is doing.

edit: not in this thread of course

edit 2: AOT Season 4: Marley and Me

a seagull fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 28, 2023

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010

a seagull posted:

After seeing enough posts of "King Floch 🤴" and "this show is so well-written, it really makes you understand why genocide is necessary" I have to say I really don't want to know what the internet has to say about it at all.

It's not fair, I guess, but it's definitely negatively affected my feelings about the show seeing such a large percentage of people wholeheartedly support what Eren is doing.

I understand your feelings completely. I think my problem is that I am kind of sickly fascianted (and horrified) by the kinds of takes that some fans of this series have. But yeah, seriously, the healthiest thing to do is just not engage with it at all.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
What's interesting to me is that Eren's decision does feel almost inevitable in a way. The other nations were never going to stop trying to wipe out Paradis because they were afraid of the Rumbling, and ironically that's exactly what ended up happening. So it all feels like the only way it could ever have gone while at the same time being something that could have so easily been avoided.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the end conclusion of attack on titan's worldview seems to be that everyone is locked into a perpetual prisoner's dilemma where if both sides just took a leap of blind faith everyone's problems could be solved, but the more people choose to screw each other over the more they perpetuate not having the trust to make that leap, ensuring that anyone who does is probably going to end up a sucker getting screwed over. the central theme ultimately seems to be the question of how do you break that self reinforcing cycle. i love those moments like gabi choosing not to shoot sannes as he's coming around the corner, despite not knowing who he is, and sannes peacefully handing falco over because he also doesn't want to needlessly kill some kids. mutual trust is possible and when it happens it's a wonderful thing, but you put so much at risk and you know the other person would also need to put everything on the line for it to work out, so people almost never even see it as an option.

you see this all the way back in season 1 with the scene of the garrison leader who needs to choose whether or not to shoot eren with a cannonball after he comes out of the titan. the world where he can believe that eren is working for the good of humanity has the best possible outcome, but he can't make that choice because the consequences of being wrong in his trust are far too severe. the reason things work out is because armin is able to successfully argue that the trust isn't blind, and because he was given the opportunity to make that argument and someone else (pyxis) stepped in who was willing to consider the option of trusting them. distrusting everyone around you isn't actually the best most practical choice no matter how awful the world gets, but it's an incredibly easy trap to fall into as the stakes escalate. the weight of making that choice and potentially being wrong is just such an incredible burden to bear, but the more people make choices out of distrust for one another the more the stakes escalate and that weight gets all the heavier each time.

something i'm noticing on rewatch of s4 is that characters keep saying "if only we could trust one another, everything would've worked out. but we knew that if we trusted you that trust would be ill placed, so we didn't." like, practically verbatim. it's in line with the rest of s4 being the show really blatantly laying its cards on the table on what the story's actually been about this whole time.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 28, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

something i'm noticing on rewatch of s4 is that characters keep saying "if only we could trust one another, everything would've worked out. but we knew that if we trusted you that trust would be ill placed, so we didn't." like, practically verbatim. it's in line with the rest of s4 being the show really blatantly laying its cards on the table on what the story's actually been about this whole time.

Yeah, that sounds about right. And thinking of it, that does tie well into some other decisions in the plot I felt more shaky about, even if I'm still not sure on the execution.

It's also emphasized with the "miracle" of Kenny and Uri's friendship. Sometimes force is the only way to get in position for that leap of faith, but even that still requires vulnerability.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Leap of faith didn't work out well for Mr "I'm the Armored Titan"

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

christmas boots posted:

What's interesting to me is that Eren's decision does feel almost inevitable in a way. The other nations were never going to stop trying to wipe out Paradis because they were afraid of the Rumbling, and ironically that's exactly what ended up happening. So it all feels like the only way it could ever have gone while at the same time being something that could have so easily been avoided.

This is where I'm at. Before Eren went AWOL Marley and the rest of the world were going to wipe Paradis off the face of the planet. I'm not sure negotiations were even possible. Maybe? Perhaps getting the adults in the room with the Tyburs might have led to a peaceful solution. Possssssibly...

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I wonder if Erwin could have figured it out.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

Leap of faith didn't work out well for Mr "I'm the Armored Titan"

yep, the other side (eren) did not trust him. and for good reason! sometimes people's goals are just irreconcilable, mutual trust and cooperation just isn't possible every time. but if you never even allow for the possibility of it, your short-term smart decisions will make the world a much worse place long-term as everyone continues to make similar decisions.

Alan_Shore posted:

This is where I'm at. Before Eren went AWOL Marley and the rest of the world were going to wipe Paradis off the face of the planet. I'm not sure negotiations were even possible. Maybe? Perhaps getting the adults in the room with the Tyburs might have led to a peaceful solution. Possssssibly...

they definitely could've at least tried. they kinda just gave up on the idea the moment hizuru said "no we won't help with that."

that was also kinda the "original plan" - establish military power with a small scale rumbling and use that to negotiate for peace once paradi could prove "look if we wanted to kill you, we would. we don't, so maybe we can talk."

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
What is the name of the song playing right here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrvjD88nzFA&t=19s

EDIT: The one playing at 19 seconds in

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 28, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfAbX-Fg9N0&t=146s

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Thank you!

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

that was also kinda the "original plan" - establish military power with a small scale rumbling and use that to negotiate for peace once paradi could prove "look if we wanted to kill you, we would. we don't, so maybe we can talk."

That's what I feel was the right choice, no matter how far-fetched it seems. Willy told everyone that their hatred of Paradis and Eldians in general was a result of propaganda*, and people were willing to hear him out, and if Eren had been willing to show that he wasn't a threat like Willy claimed, maybe something could've come of that.

Instead Eren chose Historia over the entire world. Which solves nothing, because global genocide is not going to prevent what Eren says he wants to bring an end to, "children eating their parents". The nine titans aren't going away because of what he's doing. He's just sparing his friends that fate for selfish reasons.

*yes, the Eldian Empire was horrible, but it's loving dead. The last remnants are a bunch of island pacifists and ghetto residents. The only reason they pose a threat is because Marley continues to use them as slave-soldiers.

bonus hot take: I have a feeling a portion of people who support what Eren is doing would suddenly change their tune if it was Onyonkapon who was carrying out this plan to protect his people.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

a seagull posted:

Instead Eren chose Historia over the entire world.

Hey, she did it first.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Hey, she just got carried away!

Then she did it again though, so...Historia is a land of contrasts

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm sure this is one of those "why the gently caress are you thinking about this at midnight????" type things, but why didn't Annie just eat Eren in the Forest of Giants? Like she loving had him in her mouth, all she had to do was swallow and she would've had the Attack Titan and Founding Titan? Isn't the Female Titans ability to be good at absorbing abilities? I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask this, I just haven't googled it yet :-D

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

I'm sure this is one of those "why the gently caress are you thinking about this at midnight????" type things, but why didn't Annie just eat Eren in the Forest of Giants? Like she loving had him in her mouth, all she had to do was swallow and she would've had the Attack Titan and Founding Titan? Isn't the Female Titans ability to be good at absorbing abilities? I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask this, I just haven't googled it yet :-D

They did not know Eren had the Founding Titan until he interacted with Dina in S2. They could've possibly intuited that he had the unaccounted for Attack Titan, but probably for the best to actually question how the gently caress he got it.
But perhaps most important is the aspect of self-preservation. If Annie ate Eren, and he truly was her mission, then she might be immediately fed to someone else to get the Founder/Attack's powers. Furthermore, mixing the lines of the Nine could put them at a strategic disadvantage, as that's one fewer intelligent Titan that Marley could ever use - unless they opt for the even riskier tactic of waiting for their 13 years to expire and trying to find some random baby with Titan powers.
Annie doesn't really give a poo poo about Marley's ideology, or being a hero like Reiner. She just wants to get the job done and go home. If the nature of her victory precluded that latter aspect, she would likely look for other options.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

I agree with that logic, but I still also feel like it's a remnant of having an overarching plot without all the details ironed out, so we have to retroactively justify characters' actions.

Like, why doesn't Ymir tell Historia that there other people outside the walls when she's trying to convince Historia to come with her? She acts like it's just titans out there. Well, because the manga chapters that explained Ymir's backstory hadn't been written when that scene in the manga occurred, so the anime, which incorporates her backstory early, is stuck with an odd contradiction. So is the manga, but it sticks out more in the anime's case.

I will say, I haven't read past the coup arc, but there are a lot of fun little things that make reading the series enjoyable despite knowing where it's going.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

a seagull posted:

I agree with that logic, but I still also feel like it's a remnant of having an overarching plot without all the details ironed out, so we have to retroactively justify characters' actions.

Like, why doesn't Ymir tell Historia that there other people outside the walls when she's trying to convince Historia to come with her? She acts like it's just titans out there. Well, because the manga chapters that explained Ymir's backstory hadn't been written when that scene in the manga occurred, so the anime, which incorporates her backstory early, is stuck with an odd contradiction. So is the manga, but it sticks out more in the anime's case.

I will say, I haven't read past the coup arc, but there are a lot of fun little things that make reading the series enjoyable despite knowing where it's going.

Yeah there's that, but as far as ongoing plots go in serialized stories, AoT does a pretty good job reconciling new info with what's been established. Looking back on what you've already done and seeing how it can be expanded or tied into other aspects of the story is often just as important (in some cases moreso) than having all the details ironed out.
One of the biggest unanswered questions that's likely a vestige of an aborted plotline is "why did Annie kill Sawney and Bean?" Like, literally why? Nothing about them threatened to expose the warrior unit. They're not even on the same side as the feral Titans anyway (in that the latter doesn't really have a side).

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Beefstew posted:

Furthermore, mixing the lines of the Nine could put them at a strategic disadvantage, as that's one fewer intelligent Titan that Marley could ever use - unless they opt for the even riskier tactic of waiting for their 13 years to expire and trying to find some random baby with Titan powers.

It's odd or at least surprising that this never really gets explored. The only person to hold two titans is Eren and holding the founder is kind of an odd case.

If you have two titans, do you get a mix of both? Can you summon an armored colossal titan?
Or do you have to choose which you activate at any given time?

Rod Reiss's magical vial of Titan hardening fluid is also a sort of abandoned plot element that never gets circled back on

Of course these could pop up in the last 3 seasons of the final season part 3, but it doesn't seem like there's going to be much room for that.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Beefstew posted:

Yeah there's that, but as far as ongoing plots go in serialized stories, AoT does a pretty good job reconciling new info with what's been established. Looking back on what you've already done and seeing how it can be expanded or tied into other aspects of the story is often just as important (in some cases moreso) than having all the details ironed out.
One of the biggest unanswered questions that's likely a vestige of an aborted plotline is "why did Annie kill Sawney and Bean?" Like, literally why? Nothing about them threatened to expose the warrior unit. They're not even on the same side as the feral Titans anyway (in that the latter doesn't really have a side).

I think killing Sawney and Bean could be explained that they'd just like to keep the islanders in the dark and sabotaging their efforts to learn anything was a minor objective.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

kiminewt posted:

I think killing Sawney and Bean could be explained that they'd just like to keep the islanders in the dark and sabotaging their efforts to learn anything was a minor objective.

She also knew they were humans who were being tortured. As much as she pretended not to give a poo poo to everyone around her, Annie did understand that any choice was always going to be made from a series of terrible options.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I was at UniQlo today and I found a "Best of Attack on Titan in Color" book, it's got a bunch of chapters from all over the manga done in full color. It's really cool. It's even got the final character poll. No points for guessing who 1, 2 and 3 are. :v:

Anyway, hope the new episode goes up on Hulu soon!!!!!!

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
I'm refreshing like no one's business.

Japan is already half done with the episode. Hurry up streaming services.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
:f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5::f5:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
This is the real rumbling

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
I was hoping to catch this before I crashed tonight (I'm in Asia). Looks like I'll have to wait until tomorrow. Lame.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh poo poo it’s today! Where has time gone

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Oh gently caress it's TODAY?!

Crunchyroll sort it OUT

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
Just a warning: Youtube already has spoilers. The official music video (Or I guess not really a video, just full of clips from the episode) for the OP is out and also contains tons of spoilers. Steer clear if you haven't watched the episode yet.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Someone please pop up in and tell us aka me when we aka I can watch this asap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It's today?

gently caress man

Is there a date for part 3 act 2?