Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm hoping that this episode was the extent of the damage control they need to do for Book of Boba Fett and the kept episode they can actually tell a real story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Eh, it kinda had some lingering BOBF energy in that it was a series of scenes where Boba Fett Din Jarin goes somewhere, asks for something, is told to gently caress off, say "I'm sorry to have bothered you" and then leaves. For 45 minutes.

Wrong. It was only 35 minutes.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Maybe this show just isn’t very good, but had the good fortune to show up in season 1 as C+ Star Wars at the same time we were being served F- Star Wars at the movies.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

nine-gear crow posted:

Eh, it kinda had some lingering BOBF energy in that it was a series of scenes where Boba Fett Din Jarin goes somewhere, asks for something, is told to gently caress off, say "I'm sorry to have bothered you" and then leaves. For 45 minutes.

The problem with BoBF (or my problem with it, at any rate) was that Boba had a very sudden family-friendly face turn, going from a feared, ruthless bounty hunter to "I'm going to be a crime lord, but nice!" Which was then exacerbated by the fact that he was completely impotent and incompetent at it, walking into traps repeatedly and never actually demonstrating why anybody would listen to this clown.

Tem Morrison did a great job with what he was given and clearly enjoys the role, but the writing just wasn't there. The backstory with the Tuskens was interesting and was a good way to distinguish him from Mando (ironic, since Mando started out as Boba Fett with the serial number filed off), but everything else felt like amateur hour. And it doesn't help that Robert Rodriguez got his stink all over it.

I feel like Din is in a different position, somewhat more like the protagonist of an RPG where nobody knows who you are and doesn't owe you anything. It's a far cry from seeing Boba settle into Jabba's throne and then completely squandering the storytelling opportunities of that

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

nine-gear crow posted:

It was an excuse to show where our players are at

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Only sense I can make of Mandalorian going away for a year and being replaced with Book of Boba Fett is if Grogu’s actor had limited availability because he was off shooting a movie or something.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

General Dog posted:

I don’t have a problem with Din having some rudimentary droid repair knowledge, but I do have a problem with him being the first person to have the idea of reviving this droid that’s apparently a planetary hero and then successfully doing so (albeit with unexpected complications).

Like, either Din figured out something all the king’s horses and all the king’s men couldn’t, or else the townspeople turned the robot into a statue without even attempting to recharge his battery first.

My take is no one else bothered because it's like a 1988 LeBaron up on blocks in the yard with a dead transmission and cracked engine block. No matter how fond you are of it, fully restoring it is a silly idea. The juice just isn't worth the squeeze when there are other more serviceable shitboxes that will get you where you're going.

Unless you have a profound and irrational emotional attachment and it just HAS to be that car that takes you on your next trip. Not a similar one, not the same model straight up that specific car because it's your lucky car and all the other ones will let you down and/or kill you.

Like it's still dumb that a droid that flat out self-destructed can be restored at all, but the answer of why Din wants this particular one or why he's able to repair it just enough to show he needs more expertise to repair it is right in the text. Seems nitpicky to tear at that part of it.

I'm holding out hope that they acknowledge the "restored IG-11" just a friendly banged up face on a literally brand new bot, but that's what Din needs with his Droid Issues.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 3, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's just so weird to me that this episode is in such a huge rush to get from one scene to the next and then they're all mainly dull. I'd have preferred it if the Gamera fight was cut and the scene with The Watch was expanded to show how the rest of the cult views him with suspicion. I quite liked his talk with The Armourer because you could actually hear a hint of bitterness in her voice and the small flicker of hope when Mando suggested that their homeland might be able to support life again.

Then you could contrast that with Paz and the other cultists harassing him and refusing to see him as the Mandalor because of his apostasy. Just give us something to chew on besides a scene that only exists to say "here's where the plot is going when we actually decide to start telling the story."

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I wonder if the pirate starfighters' resemblance to a Starchaser might be coincidental. The only time we get a really good look at them is in the concept art during the credits, and it has some similarities to the Tri-Wing Pegasus, which was created as a Porsche marketing gimmick and had a couple of barely-visible appearances in Obi-Wan.

And while there's not a lot of great shots of the ships in the episode itself, we can see that the design continued to evolve from the concept - they definitely changed the color scheme, and the wings look like they might have been scaled up as well.

Maybe the brief started off as "make a starfighter that lets us re-use some existing assets", and then when they had an approved design someone noticed the similarity to the R-41 and they leaned into it, increasing the wing size and changing the colors to be more Starchasery.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Arc Hammer posted:

It's just so weird to me that this episode is in such a huge rush to get from one scene to the next and then they're all mainly dull. I'd have preferred it if the Gamera fight was cut and the scene with The Watch was expanded to show how the rest of the cult views him with suspicion. I quite liked his talk with The Armourer because you could actually hear a hint of bitterness in her voice and the small flicker of hope when Mando suggested that their homeland might be able to support life again.

Then you could contrast that with Paz and the other cultists harassing him and refusing to see him as the Mandalor because of his apostasy. Just give us something to chew on besides a scene that only exists to say "here's where the plot is going when we actually decide to start telling the story."

Yeah it was a super weird way to set that scene up. Showing the assembled covert actually jeering him and literally turning their backs on him-- even after he swooped in to save them from a megaladon-- would have been a good way to really hammer home how anathema he is and how important the redemption is to him. It's like exiled doesn't really mean exhiled just like, you can't stay for supper when you come visit.

TBH though I feel like the way their culture works holding the Darksaber would trump doing a face reveal. "You say I'm not a Mando anymore? Well, as the literal Mandalore because I got the sword, I say you're not."

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Thats not even an R-41, thats an R-42. :colbert:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So the ones on screen are the R-43, like how there's a t-70 x wing

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

They're probably more likely to call it an R-46, since modern Star Wars loves making numerical references to either the year Star Wars came out, or how many years it's been since Star Wars came out (like Jannah's Company 77, or the Festival of the Ancestors being held every 42 years in Rise of Skywalker).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1631396536490795029

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

...Is this the way?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah it was a super weird way to set that scene up. Showing the assembled covert actually jeering him and literally turning their backs on him-- even after he swooped in to save them from a megaladon-- would have been a good way to really hammer home how anathema he is and how important the redemption is to him. It's like exiled doesn't really mean exhiled just like, you can't stay for supper when you come visit.

TBH though I feel like the way their culture works holding the Darksaber would trump doing a face reveal. "You say I'm not a Mando anymore? Well, as the literal Mandalore because I got the sword, I say you're not."

Death Watch explicitly split in half because the guy who got the saber didn't count as a real Mandalorian

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

StashAugustine posted:

Death Watch explicitly split in half because the guy who got the saber didn't count as a real Mandalorian

Bo Katan sucks.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Mandalorian S3: Mando goes to extreme difficulties to take bath.

swickles posted:

I honestly thought it was a flashback scene until Mando landed the fighter. I really thought the kid was Djinn and this was his helmet ceremony and that he would at some point save the day.

When I saw the fighter appear I actually thought to myself "Mando travels back in time to disrupt his own helmet ceremony" and because this is Star Wars, I couldn't immediately rule it out.

Maybe the Time Grappler has other skills besides telling the time.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

...Is this the way?

The thing to keep in mind here is that the people running the USCPSC twitter are insane.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It’s pretty wild that someone coming back to this show after season 2 would find

a) Grogu has immediately already reunited with Din, effectively making the entirety of season 2 moot

b) this development occurred over the course of two episodes

c) this development occurred over the course of two episodes on an entirely different tv show

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
why dont they make a luke skywalker show? luke going on adventures?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kneelbeforezog posted:

why dont they make a luke skywalker show? luke going on adventures?

Mark Hamil is old as gently caress, and AI Luuke does not hold up well against human actors.

Recast someone else, you say? That might not be a guaranteed profit for the franchise!!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Why don’t they make a cartoon a la Clone Wars/Bad Batch about the OT cast, set either during the OT or in the time after?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Wanna know what a gaping hole in the SW franchise is that could be expanded on and repair some of the damage done to Anakin/Vader's character by the prequels?

A dark show showing Shmi's life leading up to and into Anakin's early life. That's the one loving thing that hasn't been expanded on in the SW canon - a deep look at the life of slaves and, by extension, just what it's like to live under Hutt rule when you don't have plot armor.

You could even fix the terrible "I don't like sand" scene by showing "Little Ani" getting his face ground into it daily by bullies and Watto.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Mark Hamil is old as gently caress, and AI Luuke does not hold up well against human actors.

Recast someone else, you say? That might not be a guaranteed profit for the franchise!!

They did this to Han Solo and look what happened!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

HootTheOwl posted:

I really hate that they took the wrong lesson from that

"Recasting is bad!" instead of "Shoving more Star Wars movies out with no marketing and redoing the entire thing because we didn't bother communicating is bad!"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vinylshadow posted:

I really hate that they took the wrong lesson from that

"Recasting is bad!" instead of "Shoving more Star Wars movies out with no marketing and redoing the entire thing because we didn't bother communicating is bad!"

Though they haven't released many movies since then.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We're probably still half a decade, maybe 10 years away from a fully AI resurrected or de-aged actor-led show or movie made by Disney. They're working night and day to make it happen though, and given how scarily fast AI tech has been developing and improving, that timescale might be even shorter.

I honestly wouldn't put it past Disney to at one point make a "Re-Fisher-ized Edition" of Episode IX that puts Leia's original role in the movie back in its entirety utilizing AI tech to resurrect Carrie Fisher. Or for someone on their own to do an AI-made version of Duel of the Fates without any involvement from any real people.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

HootTheOwl posted:

If that movie was about Dan Dolo, the guy who owned the Falcon before Han Solo, that would be one of my favorite Star Wars movies.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

AI Luuke holds up next to a metal man and a baby puppet decently, and that's where most of his scenes have been

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

AI Luuke holds up next to a metal man and a baby puppet decently, and that's where most of his scenes have been

Yeah, everyone he's had to interact with has been a helmeted weirdo, another CGI creation, or someone in heavy prosthetic makeup who herself is portraying an interpretation of a cartoon character. If you put creepy plastic action figure Luke up against a real human like they did with Tarkin in Rogue One it would be stomach turning.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

“Grogu, I gotta cleanse myself in the waters of lake Minnetonka”

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Whatever happened with Rogue Squadron? Did they cancel it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, everyone he's had to interact with has been a helmeted weirdo, another CGI creation, or someone in heavy prosthetic makeup who herself is portraying an interpretation of a cartoon character. If you put creepy plastic action figure Luke up against a real human like they did with Tarkin in Rogue One it would be stomach turning.

Nah, the season 2 finale was Mark Hamil doing VO.

The BoBF appearance was all AI, and that was VERY carefully structured so Din talked to a real actor (Rosario Dawson) while AI Luuuke only had to talk at Grogu with simple whimsical Jedi philosophy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, the season 2 finale was Mark Hamil doing VO.

The BoBF appearance was all AI, and that was VERY carefully structured so Din talked to a real actor (Rosario Dawson) while AI Luuuke only had to talk at Grogu with simple whimsical Jedi philosophy.

AI Luke also spoke to Ahsoka (and like the rest of AI Luke it was bad).

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 3, 2023

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

TK-42-1 posted:

Whatever happened with Rogue Squadron? Did they cancel it?

Last I heard it was it development limbo and the first vacancy in the Star Wars slate wasn't until December 2025.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Last I heard it was it development limbo and the first vacancy in the Star Wars slate wasn't until December 2025.

Yeah, the reason why Rian Johnson's Star Wars trilogy keeps getting pushed back is because Johnson keeps getting other jobs like Knives Out, Glass Onion and Poker Face and LucasFilm has to keep shuffling the schedule around to accommodate that.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Are we getting a live action Thrawn this season or is he not showing up until Ashoka?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Are we getting a live action Thrawn this season or is he not showing up until Ashoka?

They've all but said Ray Stevenson is going to be Thrawn on Ashoka. He's currently listed as playing "a villainous admiral" in a show where Ezra Bridger, Sabine Wren, Hera Syndulla, Chopper, and Ahsoka Tano all show up in, and the last big thing Ashoka's seen doing is screaming "WHERE THE gently caress IS THRAWN?" at some lady, so the math is relatively easy to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So he's gonna be Warlord Zsinj, got it.