Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I dont loving know and now i'm even more depressed.

Jeremy corbyn wants to stand as the labour candidate in his constituency? So like he holds some value in the party still? Theres others too presumably.

Better the devil you don't know?

The only way to get the SCG to hold any power is to have Labour win with a majority of less than 34 or however many of them there are. Like all tactical voting poo poo, this is an impossible needle to thread on purpose so I'm not going to act like anything I do will change it. I don't agree with tactical voting, I prefer to just vote for whoever has the best manifesto. If everyone did that then I think electoralism would do more good in this country, but that's vastly outweighed by the number of people who just want to have voted for the eventual winner.

I might be pushed to vote labour if my MP was good but I've posted stuff from her in past ukmts and she's proper poo poo. I also think people here have made a pretty good case lately for even the "good" Labour MPs enabling the worst of the PLP.

I also realise that I'm focusing specifically on disabled rights and it's possible that labour will improve things for other groups. Everyone has their own area of specific concern and lines they will not cross (Jaeluni, for example, has posted in the past about the anti Palestine stuff being a deal-breaker for her due to personal connections) and I'm sure the soulless centrists get some kind of kick out of making people with actual principles solve the trolley problem 100 times over every time they vote. This is why I've realised that arguing with people about who they're going to vote for isn't a good way to spend time in this thread but I will make a case for my own preferences if only to make sure I still agree with the small decisions that got me there

e: and I'm sorry for bringing you down, thinking about these moral dilemmas isn't good for anyone who can't do much about the end result

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I looked up what Chief of Staff does a couple of weeks ago. Seems they're like the Office Manager and get the photocopying done for the 'important' people.
Sounds so grand though.
I work at a place that has a Chief of Staff position, and they're the second most important person in the org. Sort of like a Chief Operating Officer who is also the ED's delegate and external brain. Also the manager for a lot of people who work in the Office of the ED. Good ones are solid gold. This is in the US Public Sector, so Labour might be quite different, of course.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I don't think there's really any good option in terms of voting.

Pointing out that Labour are poo poo isn't campaigning for the tories, it's just pointing out that both parties are bad. One might be slightly less bad in certain areas, but not to any extent that matters. But if you don't vote for someone other than the tories, their vote share is larger. And after the Lib Dems poisoned the well of tactical voting and coalitions, voting for a 3rd party isn't an option either.

We're all hosed. There are no 'good' choices. I'm going to weigh the options and vote for what I think will be the least bad one, but I don't have any illusion about things meaningfully getting better as a result.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

That sums it up pretty well.

I've thought about my post that started this conversation and I don't think I should have made it. I'm just afraid for the future and I'm not helping anyone by just posting, essentially, that things are either going to stay the same (bad) or get worse. That's not news to anyone here

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would be nice if my body would go to sleep and stay asleep for an appropriate amount of time rather than either sleeping for two hours and waking up, or refusing to go to sleep at all.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Night Crew!! :(

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

the only thing we can be sure of for the next election is that there will probably be some very funny stuff in there.

also rip to all of you still awake (I'm about to start work so I am safe)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tarnop your post was fine. Bleak but that's a reflection on reality, not you. NJAN99 is being an idiot (wow!) doing the whole false dichotomy thing. Nobody should feel beholden to vote Labour just because the Tories are bad. They should vote Labour if they think Labour are good, and if they're not then voting for someone else (or for nobody) is perfectly legitimate.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sebzilla posted:

Tarnop your post was fine. Bleak but that's a reflection on reality, not you. NJAN99 is being an idiot (wow!) doing the whole false dichotomy thing. Nobody should feel beholden to vote Labour just because the Tories are bad. They should vote Labour if they think Labour are good, and if they're not then voting for someone else (or for nobody) is perfectly legitimate.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
A Labour win under Starmer at the next election will result in a Tory win at the following GE and possibly another 10-15 years of utter misery.

If Labour don't win in 2024, there is a chance that the sensible politicians will have a tantrum and gently caress off to join the Tories where they belong. Which also means there is a chance for Labour to become better.

It's definitely not certain that Labour can turn a corner, but it's a gently caress of a lot more likely if Starmer loses.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

New Labour invented the Work Capability Assessments and hired ATOS. They drew up the blueprints that eventually became Universal Credit.

As a disabled person who relies on state support to survive, I certainly won't feel any safer under a Labour government.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Guavanaut posted:

I guess by some metrics it is April as the first spring month in the UK, but not in any part of Scandinavia.

The UK calendar was set by Rome (and its only legitimate sequel and successor state, Rome Mania), so March it is though.

I dunno if you are joking with me or not? June as a spring month?

e: I see "The first month of 2022 with 10 straight days of average temperature above 15 degrees". Sounds like the definition of summer to me.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 3, 2023

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tarnop posted:

That sums it up pretty well.

I've thought about my post that started this conversation and I don't think I should have made it. I'm just afraid for the future and I'm not helping anyone by just posting, essentially, that things are either going to stay the same (bad) or get worse. That's not news to anyone here

Nah your post was absolutely fine and you were right to make it

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

kingturnip posted:

A Labour win under Starmer at the next election will result in a Tory win at the following GE and possibly another 10-15 years of utter misery.

If Labour don't win in 2024, there is a chance that the sensible politicians will have a tantrum and gently caress off to join the Tories where they belong. Which also means there is a chance for Labour to become better.

It's definitely not certain that Labour can turn a corner, but it's a gently caress of a lot more likely if Starmer loses.

Hoping Tesco Value Torys will stop being tories on the back of an election loss is like asking Zeus not to gently caress around as a peacock and have his way with the maidens of Athens.

Actually, you'd probably have better odds on the Zeus thing.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

sebzilla posted:

I realised the one good thing about living in an extremely safe Tory seat is that I feel no need whatsoever to hold my nose and vote for whichever Tony Blair Institute-approved ghoul Starmer parachutes in to run here (or LD Orange Booker, for that matter). I can vote with my conscience... and have it amount to nothing because hey, FPTP!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
This New Labour is currently being flanked from the left by the Tories on Nurses wages and the minimum wage, they'll be indistinguishable from Cameron's Tories in power.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Spoil your ballot!

Just because the Tories are poo poo and Labour is a different shade of poo poo, doesn't mean you have to hold your nose and vote for either.

(or search for anyone else who may or may not be just a different shade of shite)

SPOIL YOUR BALLOT!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'm Scottish so ill probably just vote SNP or Scottish Green

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I missed this defence from yesterday

https://twitter.com/GavinWilliamson/status/1631057389649645569

:allears:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Dead Goon posted:

SPOIL YOUR BALLOT!
A mass movement of ballot-spoiling would honestly be the best plausible outcome IMO.

Labour having to go into coalition with somebody while the stories get knocked into third would be even better, but less plausible.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

TACD posted:

Labour having to go into coalition with somebody while the stories get knocked into third would be even better

Labour teaming up with Reform UK?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

lol they really are speedrunning the democrat playbook

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
At what point do Politicians have to deal with the fact that every poll says everyone who is a millennial or younger is lefty? at the moment they are chasing the major voting block of old white people, but they will (slowly) die off and the next huge cohort is pretty pissed ATM.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Oh no, I wouldn't want to be "Politically ignorant" - please tell me more about why it is reasonable moderation to sell off the NHS despite that being unpopular with the public.

Edit:

Grey Hunter posted:

At what point do Politicians have to deal with the fact that every poll says everyone who is a millennial or younger is lefty? at the moment they are chasing the major voting block of old white people, but they will (slowly) die off and the next huge cohort is pretty pissed ATM.

Well if you look at the way oap bus passes, but not student passes, count as valid voting photo ID - I think you'll see they already are on it.

Desiderata fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 3, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kingturnip posted:

That's optimistic. If Starmer wins then it will confirm the narrative that Labour can only win as a right wing party, and if he wins by a large margin as expected he will immediately purge the party left as he will no longer need them. Five more years of Tories will trash the country before maybe someone gets in who will try to restore the cycle of "Labour build, Tories destroy", but five years of Starmer will usher in permanent Tory hegemony.

This is not a choice between good and bad. It's a choice between bad now or bad forever.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jedit posted:

That's optimistic. If Starmer wins then it will confirm the narrative that Labour can only win as a right wing party, and if he wins by a large margin as expected he will immediately purge the party left as he will no longer need them. Five more years of Tories will trash the country before maybe someone gets in who will try to restore the cycle of "Labour build, Tories destroy", but five years of Starmer will usher in permanent Tory hegemony.

This is not a choice between good and bad. It's a choice between bad now or bad forever.

He won't bother purging the Left if he wins a big majority, all evidence points to them doing nothing more than sitting quietly on the backbenches writing the occasional grumpy letter, and if he doesn't even need to rely on them for votes it's better to have them softly grumbling inside the party rather than pushing them out and running the risk that a group of 20-ish Left MPs outside of Labour begin to resemble an actual alternative to Labour.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Some of this discussion reminds me of the bit in Four Lions where the chap argues that the best way to get charged up is to get punched in the face.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Jedit posted:

The future isn't set. There have been a lot of poo poo choices and a lot of good ones made over a long time that no-one even remembers.

It wasn't so long ago history was over. Until it is we have to keep our heads up and advocate for what is right.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Some of this discussion reminds me of the bit in Four Lions where the chap argues that the best way to get charged up is to get punched in the face.

QFT

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm 99% sure that Barry in Four Lions is supposed to be a parody of David Wulstan Myatt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XT8Re4r_ig

Which goes a way to explaining why he's so ready to bomb a mosque to 'radicalize the moderates', being a neo-nazi conspiracy oval office wearing Muslim vibes more than a Muslim.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Zalakwe posted:

The future isn't set. There have been a lot of poo poo choices and a lot of good ones made over a long time that no-one even remembers.

It wasn't so long ago history was over. Until it is we have to keep our heads up and advocate for what is right.

I agree, but I completely disagree that starmers labour is "what's right". Motherfucker is just a poor man's David Cameron in every way that counts (except that one)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I don't think any of us are going to see a better future until our antiquated FPTP system is replaced with an actual representative democracy, an elected upper house and an elected head of state. We don't even have an independent Electoral Commission anymore.

Under the current system, there's no way that a genuine social democratic party can take hold. We don't have any free press in the UK anymore, so any genuine alternative will be Corbynised by the media's lasers. If that doesn't work, the establishment also control the police, intelligence services and can implement all sorts of emergency powers to stifle any real threat.

We also now have a generation of people who are of voting age who have been groomed to be fascists and who have known nothing but austerity. There's also no collective understanding of politics anymore, with many people unable to differentiate between local and central government, or what is actually left and right wing. It's all media fed popularity contests that many people see no differently to any other reality TV programme.

Short of some kind of revolution, I can't see any of this changing for the better. The table is entirely rigged....

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 3, 2023

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Miftan posted:

I agree, but I completely disagree that starmers labour is "what's right". Motherfucker is just a poor man's David Cameron in every way that counts (except that one)

Yeah don't vote for that guy. Lying, status quo loving, opportunist backed by more of the same.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

a vote for labour is a vote for the tories, you just don’t know it yet

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Pound shop Hitler is trebling down

https://twitter.com/AndyGrays0n/status/1631585867822256131

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

fuctifino posted:

I don't think any of us are going to see a better future until our antiquated FPTP system is replaced with an actual representative democracy

I was pretty young when the alternative vote referendum happened, but I'm still pretty confused as to why so many were against it.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/albyearley/status/1631318774610550786?s=46&t=_akPFYiqAqKbxYd3RPf4Jg

Nothing to see here, lads

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

People really shouldn’t be that worked up about who they vote for, the MPs/councillors themselves clearly don’t give a poo poo and are happy to swap parties even after they won an election on a party platform

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I was pretty young when the alternative vote referendum happened, but I'm still pretty confused as to why so many were against it.

Many on the left were whipped up by viral media stuff that voting for AV would mean that we'd never get actual proportional representation. There was a hell of a lot of manipulation on all sides [See: Brexit referendum]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

fuctifino posted:

Many on the left were whipped up by viral media stuff that voting for AV would mean that we'd never get actual proportional representation. There was a hell of a lot of manipulation on all sides [See: Brexit referendum]