Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

cumpantry posted:

i have a lot of mcdonalds stories despite only working there 8 months lol. my very first shift, i had to at some point kneel down in the kitchen area to do... something? and as i was finishing up my whatever, one of the cooks comes up behind me and puts a box cutter to my throat, warning in my ear "don't move". i was an unphased 17 yo, so i just said back "okay". he laughed and said i was like a statue. apparently he did that to all new hires. 8 months. lol

Ooh, man, box cutter stories are always fun

We had those safety cutters where I worked. Designed to cut box tops off but keep the blade concealed. I had four, eventually I had none because teenagers like pointy things I guess. So while working at another store I had to go to a hardware store for some stuff and the manager went with me. While there as a thank you for helping her avoid repair costs from BuildOn she bought me a folding box cutter with the razor blade on one end and a folding knife on the other. Still have it too some 17 years later.
Anyways, it had a pouch to slip in for your belt. I was walking through my home store one day with a crowbar and an axe to go cut dead trees out of the tree line. The shift manager stops me;
"You can't have that, it's a dangerous weapon."
The axe is store property, how do you want me to get it where I'm going?
"Not that *points to my belt* That!"
What, my box cutter?
"Yes, that's a dangerous weapon. (I poo poo you not she actually said this) Box cutters are how terrorists took over planes on 9/11"
*jaw hanging open for a minute* But I'm carrying an axe and a crowbar.
"Yes, but your knife is dangerous"
I'm carrying an AXE...and a CROWBAR.
"But the knife is what's dangerous"
I just went on with my day and eventually the store manager takes me into the office and writes me up for insubordination. I'm not the greatest employee (my folder was like an inch thick when I was finally fired) but goddamn I fail to see how I was in the wrong on this one.
I also had a fubar tool in the closet left over from the tear down on another store and that manager used to get all bent out of shape when she'd see it. Same manager that used to ask me if we had shakes or ice cream while holding parts of the machine in my hands.

Not a horror story but at the time I had a '88 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 4x4 package. When corral cleaning days came around we had dumpster pulls. We had this big 20 foot dumpster that the crew would do their damndest to load up as much as they could by the time the day rolled around. I'd back the truck up, strap the chains to the dumpster, drop it into 4 low and put it in first, then haul that sonofabitch out of the corral. Used some playplace floor padding on the front bumper to use it as a push truck and an extra exit "Thank you" arrow sign panel on the tailgate to keep parts of the lot clear when the truck would show up.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

This Is the Zodiac posted:

See, this sort of thing I just don't get. Like, he may have thought he scored some kind of victory over that customer, but at the end of the day he's the one with his dick in a cup of ice-cold coffee.

Two words

Penis McFlurry

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Drinkslinger posted:

I’ll probably end up remembering a lot of stories in this thread, going forward

One of the worst co-worker stories involves a dude who was into micro-dosing himself with GHB (aka roofies, aka the date-rape drug) at work. According to him, taking the tiniest amount gives you an ecstasy-like high.

I hate to be this guy but GHB is not roofies, that's specifically a slang term for rohypnol, which is another date rape drug. GHB does have efficacy in therapy and some people do take it recreationally; I've heard it's popular in some fitness circles because it's a similar feeling to being very drunk and can also apparently make you sleep very soundly and restfully. I believe it on being hard to microdose though, as something like a bottle cap worth is blackout territory.

Come to think of it, everyone I know who's DIY microdosed anything (really only shrooms and LSD) has overdone it accidentally.

SocketWrench posted:

Box cutter story

This one is extra funny to me because I uh, 'knew someone who' used to carry a literal switchblade (a Microtech Combat Troodon with a Damascus steel blade) for box cutter duty and nobody said boo about that. Even enjoyed some staff meals with it.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 1, 2023

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Another story from when my wife worked at Hardees. The place was right next to a liquor store. One night someone who was already plastered came through and started ordering alcohol. He would not accept that they, Hardees, did not have any and so started cursing out first the cashier and then the manager. Then he floored it out of the parking lot past a cop car that immediately turned on it's lights.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
At my last job I was robbed at gunpoint because they regularly left closing managers in the store by themselves, often for the entire shift.

That was my last day working there, now I work in a grocery store doing basically the same work for roughly the same paycheck but about twenty less hours a week and I never have to touch money.

I have spent my entire adult life in kitchens, I’ll post more as I think about it because boy have I seen some poo poo over the years.

Oh, and I’ve been cut, burned, and electrocuted so many times that I stopped even caring like a decade ago, it’s just an inconvenience.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

haljordan posted:

Oh yeah sorry, that was kind of dumb for me to quote your post lol but my basic point was how terrible owning a restaurant really seems to be

If you've worked in the biz for long enough to know what you're getting into it's much less likely to be financially terrible.

But then, if you've worked food service for a long time you probably aren't wealthy, and so you're gonna work 12 hours days yourself despite being the owner.

My sister ran a cafe & bakery place. Successful for 7 or 8 years, survived covid. Then a big $$$$$ developer bought the property to put up a $$$$$ tower with luxury apartments and ground-floor commercial space. She had recently re-upped a multi-year lease agreement. So they're trying to keep her happy with offers about rolling her lease into the new $$$$$ space, offers to cover some of her costs, poo poo like that.

Instead she negotiated the biggest buy-out she could get and closed. Get that bag.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
If you’ve worked in food service long enough to be able to put up the money to open your own place, you probably know better. Probably.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I didn't know so many GBS goons were ever in food service

These posts def take me back

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Klyith posted:

If you've worked in the biz for long enough to know what you're getting into it's much less likely to be financially terrible.

But then, if you've worked food service for a long time you probably aren't wealthy, and so you're gonna work 12 hours days yourself despite being the owner.

My sister ran a cafe & bakery place. Successful for 7 or 8 years, survived covid. Then a big $$$$$ developer bought the property to put up a $$$$$ tower with luxury apartments and ground-floor commercial space. She had recently re-upped a multi-year lease agreement. So they're trying to keep her happy with offers about rolling her lease into the new $$$$$ space, offers to cover some of her costs, poo poo like that.

Instead she negotiated the biggest buy-out she could get and closed. Get that bag.

The insanely rare actual success story.

You know, if she could do it maybe I could too... :thunk:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The part I loved most about higher end cookery was that I got to cook different stuff all the time and be out on the water.

I thought about running my own place and it would literally mean having to maintain consistency for years and that sounds like a small hell.

Imagine changing the tired salmon dish and half your regulars bail. gently caress that.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Spinz posted:

I didn't know so many GBS goons were ever in food service

These posts def take me back

I just kinda assumed everyone works a lovely food service job for at least a summer or three

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Outrail posted:

I just kinda assumed everyone works a lovely food service job for at least a summer or three

That reminds me I did read a statistic long ago that like 1 in 8 Americans works at McDonald's at some point in their life cannot possibly be true but I remember reading it

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Spinz posted:

That reminds me I did read a statistic long ago that like 1 in 8 Americans works at McDonald's at some point in their life cannot possibly be true but I remember reading it

Right? Seems low.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

If the documentary Demolition Man is accurate then all of us will be eating and working at taco bell eventuallly

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

ManBoyChef posted:

If the documentary Demolition Man is accurate then all of us will be eating and working at taco bell eventuallly

In the dysfunctional near future, it's spelled Pthac0

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lol my girlfriend brought home a menu she's gotta memorize from work with consommé spelled correctly that also lists a main course as Filet Minion

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 2, 2023

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Which minion are the gonna filet? i hope it's not Kevin

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
it's served with a side of fried plantains

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

MrQwerty posted:

Lol my girlfriend brought home a menu she's gotta memorize from work with consommé spelled correctly that also lists a main course as Filet Minion

lmao

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Omg
They must know right?!

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I used to be an assistant manager at Arby's and it's the worst job I've ever had, worse than working at a mental hospital. I only worked there 3 months and quit basically a month after they finished training me. I have a few stories but nothing spectacular.

One day I was filtering the oil in the fryers and I forgot to shut down the fryers so I poured the oil on extremely hot surfaces. Unsurprisingly, it caught fire. I think I stood there dumbfounded for a bit and then went to get the fire extinguisher which was right next to the training manager's little cave they had. I told her what was going on (pretty calmly) and she just kind of sighed and walked over and poured more oil on the fire dousing it. She's probably had to deal with a lot of fryer fires in her time there. She was really sweet and I enjoyed my training time with her, though the place was an hour plus away from where I lived so she was nice and had me close most of the time.

I got moved to a different place that was closer to home after I finished training and they had me open one day. I'd only done this like once or twice. I completely hosed it all up and called the store manager freaking out because the morning rush was completely hosed. She came and cleaned everything up and gave me a quick rundown on how to do morning prep. Not my proudest moment but to be fair I wasn't properly trained because the morons in charge had me train an hour plus away (the place I got moved to also did training and was like 15-20 minutes from my house).

The district manager absolutely despised me for unknown reasons. She would constantly talk down to me and would constantly talk about how I left the store dirty (the store manager never said anything to me about it and was totally fine with how I'd leave it) and poo poo like that. Every time she was around (which was quite often) she'd talk poo poo about me in a very passive aggressive way. To this day I still don't know why she hated me so much.

One example of how the district manager was a huge piece of poo poo was when my grandfather passed away. I needed some time to come to terms with it, as anyone would when family passes, and called the store manager bawling. She was super sweet and said she'd handle everything at the store and to take as much time as I needed. The DM though, she was a vile woman. She kept pushing me to work, telling me it would help "take my mind off things" and stuff like that. I refused and she angrily hung up on me after acquiescing and giving me the time off I needed.

Apparently I set the alarm off every night after closing because I would walk out of the wrong door. There was one door where if you walked out of it it wouldn't set the alarm off and that was the one I was supposed to exit after setting the alarm. No one told me this so at some point I got a snide remark from the DM about it. I also set the alarm off at some other point but I forget how I did that. This might have contributed to the DM hating me to be fair.

I'll admit I wasn't the best assistant manager but things ran pretty smoothly while I was in charge because I treated the employees like human beings and they mostly respected me. Some of the teenagers would push the limits but I never turned anyone in for goofing off late at night or anything like that. I'm pretty positive that one of the other assistant managers had a vendetta against me and was constantly sending in bad reports to the DM to make me look bad. I don't have any one incident to point to but my gut told me she was.

I don't have any horror stories about food related stuff, other than moving cooked beef from the oven to the slicer by ignoring the heat gloves and just putting a bunch of regular gloves on and moving fast before your hands burned. Both shops kept things pretty organized and tidy and deserved their high scores. I ended up quitting after a lunch break on a manager training thing when I got the call that a contracting company found me some work. I walked up to the DM and turned in my safe key and said I'd gotten work elsewhere. Her bosses were there too and it felt pretty good to just turn my poo poo in and leave.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Spinz posted:

Omg
They must know right?!

She called her manager because this is happening tonight and she said "oh yeah, I told him last week," and that woman lies out her teeth; so they are probably reprinting all the menus as we speak when she's going to work to serve that menu in 3 hours.

I know the chef a bit so I told her to take this in

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 2, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

MrQwerty posted:

She called her manager because this is happening tonight and she said "oh yeah, I told him last week," and that woman lies out her teeth; so they are probably reprinting all the menus as we speak when she's going to work to serve that menu in 3 hours.

I know the chef a bit so I told her to take this in

lol

E: never trust a menu without prices

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Outrail posted:

lol

that's a server homework menu

which makes it even better, they found out like 2 hours ago from us that they needed to reprint everything

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 2, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Outrail posted:

They serving halibut cheeks lol for some reason I don't think most patrons of this restaurant give a poo poo about price

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Outrail posted:

lol

Hey, if you need to know the price you're probably in a place out of your league, poor. go back to your gutter

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
I went to dinner with some family members tonight and heard something honest to god horrifying. Food horror I didn’t know possible.

My aunt complained that the gravy on her mashed potatoes was too spicy.

I know you’re thinking this is some poo poo I just made up. If someone else told me this I would think it was some poo poo they just made up.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

totally believable. my own father thinks breath mints are spicy.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That's a spicy tic tac!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Pretty sure a bunch of Americans have hosed up heartburn/indigestion/GERD issues and are in complete denial and just freak out at anyone who dares serve them food that’s “spicy.”

Mint also triggers heartburn in people with heartburn issues.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
In the 80s a friend of mine worked house at the Hasty Pudding theater at Harvard and was around for one of their much-needed renovation projects. The theater was located below the kitchen for the Upstairs at the Pudding restaurant, which also greatly needed renovation. This point was driven home when they began to hack upwards at the rotting ceiling above the light racks and discovered an absolutely enormous colony of cockroaches which had grown and thrived on sugar and grease in the space between the ceiling and kitchen floor. These cockroaches then dropped down from the ceiling onto the stage as everybody ran screaming for cover.

The make-up people eventually captured a few from the remainders, painted them up with glitter, and set them free.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Truly cursed

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Once I was working a tapas bar that had a big following amongst the lesbian community. NYE 2009 rolls around and we get rented out by a group called fyre womyn so they could throw a big bash. It was pretty fancy for what we were used to. I was doing table service, there was a fantastic dj and they even spring for two go-go dancers that were go-go-ing on the floor sorta behind the bar area.

At about 30 mins to midnight, I go to put something into the POS and as I was, one of the gogo dancers jumps to her left about two feet, swings her arm, and catches me in the eye with her thumb. Blinded, I slip and hit my head again on the grinder for the espresso machine. Go-go is unphased. I then manage to stumble back to the kitchen for an ice pack and a cigarette.

Lesson of the story: go-go dancers are dangerous. It's why they're supposed to be kept in cages. :dadjoke:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Poohs Packin posted:

I worked on super yachts towards the end of my tenure as a chef and it was honestly awesome. People are generally in a good mood whilst drinking on boats.

The skipper was sometimes a bit precious but so long as I kept him fed he'd leave me alone. I scored a lot of free champagne and even got a couple of free private cruises. The hours were poo poo but I also got quite a bit of creative license with menus.

Made a lot of friends through that gig.

How much bangin goes on

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

UPDATE: They did not fix the menu

Chief McHeath posted:

I went to dinner with some family members tonight and heard something honest to god horrifying. Food horror I didn’t know possible.

My aunt complained that the gravy on her mashed potatoes was too spicy.

I know you’re thinking this is some poo poo I just made up. If someone else told me this I would think it was some poo poo they just made up.

Buddy my family is from Ohio and Indiana, those assholes would call water spicy if they could get away with it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SocketWrench posted:

Light fixtures, ballasts, even the stack motors. when the new manager took over she decided to clean out the maintenance closet of "unneeded equipment" while I was off. She tossed those motors. About a year later one of the stack motors stopped running and she told me to do something about it.
"Well, you see, I salvaged some stack motors so if something like this happened I could. But some know it all bitch decided she knew better and waited for me to be gone for a few days so she could toss them. Order a new goddamned motor." These thing ran around $1000.

What is a stack motor?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

what is a know it all bitch?

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

abigserve posted:

How much bangin goes on

My buddy is a captain. Lotta coke, Lotta Molly/MDMA (whatever the kids call it these days) and A LOT of drinking. Throw in days at sea and a young crew of horny and usually attractive people and you get a lotta banging.

I can ask him for some stories but I think it's outside the realm of this discussion.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

fuckingtest posted:

I can ask him for some stories but I think it's outside the realm of this discussion.

Not necessarily

Wendigee posted:

what is a know it all bitch?

Despite the apparent contradiction it's sub-variety of clueless rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Beachcomber posted:

What is a stack motor?

In restaurants the stacks for the hoods that suck all the smoke and grease up have a fan run by an electric motor on the top. If you ever get up on a roof and look into a stack there's a large dome lid in the middle that covers the motor