Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
It's worse at the ODRs because the ice is not the best and there's a mix of skill levels on at once. Saw one where a guy learning to ice skate fell and got in the way of a decent figure skater who then fell overtop and got a gnarly gash on her forehead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've got 2 championship games this week. Had my upper division one last night.

During the regular season, we started terrible, and our record ended up sub-0.500. Our last 3 games of the regular season were against the top 3 teams in the league. Somehow, we beat them all.
We played all 3 top teams in the playoffs again, and beat them all again and won the championship game 7-2. Guess we just all clicked at the right time. Feels good!

My lower team also made the championship game and we play tomorrow. Our goalie always gives up 1-3 boner goals a game, and we play against my brick wall of a goalie from the other team, so it'll be a good game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I’ve been having trouble with two foot transitions so I’ve been practicing Mohawk turns cuz it seemed more straightforward. Seem to get it now and funny enough the other transitions make sense now too.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We had a 10:15 game last night, we fielded our usual 8 guys, they had so many guys there was one dude having to stand. Like wtf.

This is also the team who every team dislikes because they act like they're going to get called up and the last game they were in, one player broke a dude's leg in two places. The same team had a guy dive at our goalie, which caused him to flip over and get a major concussion.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^ that’s terrible bullshit. I had a game the other night full of a bunch of former college players and it was a great game with no garbage. It’s the ones who think they should have been great but weren’t and are sick of their desk job that ruin things.

Meanwhile, I went to a drop in and we played for nearly 2 hours straight through today. I thought I’d gotten in decent shape (I did!) but I am now very sore in places like I just started playing again. At least my stamina is good now.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
The same team currently has ~125 PIMs in 19 games. I just want to drink beer and play hockey, I don't need some dude who thinks he's hot poo poo in the poo poo tier league to hurt me.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That’s one of the things making me leery about joining a league. Don’t need to pay $500+ to get whaled on by some middle manager who’s angry at life.

I’ll at least do the beginner lessons/games, see what the crowd is like, and then go from there

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

calandryll posted:

The same team currently has ~125 PIMs in 19 games. I just want to drink beer and play hockey, I don't need some dude who thinks he's hot poo poo in the poo poo tier league to hurt me.

We're almost at the one-year anniversary of when some dude in the poo poo tier league separated my shoulder and broke my finger. :toot:

Pickup games with people I know are all I do now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If the team is that bad maybe y'all should forfeit whenever they come up on the schedule. It would be super awesome if the entire league decided to not play that team anymore.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah we talked with a few other captains about it. Our season is over in the next week.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lost our championship game last night. After the game, one of their guys goes on loving Venmo to talk poo poo to our captain. He commented on a payment from last October to call him a pile of poo poo and a pussy, among other things. But what he didn’t realize is that he sent it to our captain’s wife instead lmao. Everyone’s getting a good laugh about it today. I love beer league hockey.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 26, 2023

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
:lol: Going on Venmo to talk trash. I could definitely see one of the guys on the team we all despise doing something like that.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
One of my friends decided yesterday to have an impromptu birthday party at the rink last night and rented an hour of ice. There were like 8 of us plus wives and we played like half an hour of 4 on 4 half ice pond hockey style and it was so much fun. We are all closing in on 40 by the way but it really brought me back to those days when were like 20something and we'd all be on the frozen pond or bog and play pond hockey for like 6 hours straight. I recommend doing this for anybody but especially for anybody who may be like becoming disenfranchised with hockey due to like dumb leagues or having to deal with rear end in a top hat players. I'm not playing competitively anymore and I do play in a friendly pickup but doing this with a bunch of friends made me smile playing hockey more than I have in a very long time.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Playing with chill guys is so good. My Sunday pickup group apparently had a tryhard dickhead that liked to yell at people and they kicked him out last year before I joined. Everyone out of the 20-30 rotating players have been pretty nice and competitive without being jerks.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Oh man. Got a text to sub on a team tonight. Would be my 4th game after a year and a half off from my back injury. The last game a few weeks ago had my back feeling pretty lovely after. I think I was going a little too hard.

Tonight I did l show up, stretch the hips and legs out. See one of my good buddies/teammates/realtor subbing on the other team and we say hi during warmups.

Game starts and everybody is buzzing. Good passes, great team play, lots of control. I've played against the other team before, they're the epitome of tryhards. I'm just trying to play a casual game and this is not going to be it. My primary focus is not to get hit or reinjured.

I make a few good plays, lots of defensive plays for a right wing. Stuffed a lot of guys trying to make a play on the net, including my good friend who tries going through my legs. We had a good laugh.

Favorite play by far was me pressuring their defense man on their breakout. Everybody was already in the neutral zone but this guy is a huge dickhead. Lifted visor, yellow laces, great hockey player but tries to be that guy ragging and deking anybody who comes close. I pressure him and gently caress his outlet pass by getting my stick on the puck. It stops at the blue line and my center picks it up, keeps in the zone and it draws everybody to him at the top of the slot. I go backdoor as the right wing, left hand shot. He feeds me a perfect saucer pass that lands on my tape. I paused a half second to collect and rip it. It gave the goalie just enough time to slide over and hug the post but I put it right under the bar on the far top corner of the net. I haven't scored a goal in a long time, none since my return and it felt really, really good, especially a pretty one.

We won pretty decisively but that felt incredible. I'll remember that one for a bit. I was also home by 9 which is fantastic.

Hockey is wonderful. That's all.

Verman fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 27, 2023

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I found out about pro stock and I'm looking at these trying to decide to get protectives there instead of retail for the same or cheaper prices so at least they're a bit more unique instead of the all-black choices otherwise.

If anyone here has tried any of these, do you know what retail versions would be similar fits? I have a pure hockey that's a bit of a drive but I could go out and try some to get a good feel for what sizes I should pick.
Bauer Nexus pro pants, Warrior alpha pro pants, True catalyst 9X (I assume these are just pro versions of 5x?), Sherwood code TMP pro

The site I'm looking at is prostockhockey.com. I assume that if it doesn't say game used then it should be relatively new and just overstock from the team?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I just bought a couple sticks and a pair of gloves from that site and they were all brand new. Absolutely no clue if they actually came from a team or not though.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I got my last set of sticks from there. Only word of warning is they have no warranty. I also bought a pair of pants that are the best pants I've ever used. I fall on my rear end and don't feel it. Blocked a bunch of shots too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

calandryll posted:

I got my last set of sticks from there. Only word of warning is they have no warranty. I also bought a pair of pants that are the best pants I've ever used. I fall on my rear end and don't feel it. Blocked a bunch of shots too.

I bought cheap pants and wish I hadn’t. I may go pick up a set from here. It’s not like they’re going to be worse than a set that tore at the belt after 8 uses.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I loving suck rear end at hockey but I sure do love playing

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Jhet posted:

I bought cheap pants and wish I hadn’t. I may go pick up a set from here. It’s not like they’re going to be worse than a set that tore at the belt after 8 uses.

We got a steal a few years ago. I think I paid 60 bucks for mine and I love them. The best purchase I've done for hockey, from a protection perspective.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

RC Cola posted:

I loving suck rear end at hockey but I sure do love playing

Should be the thread title IMO

Except for titanium, or whoever that insanely-good goalie is

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I just want to learn to skate like Crosby

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Chill la Chill posted:

This is difficult when you learn to skate in your 30s

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Like actual Crosby level skating or just learning how to C step?

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 28, 2023

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

While realistically I won’t ever get to that level, it’s a good goal to shoot for. I figure just like everyone else here I’m always working on edge work. Also starting to practice grapevine and other neat freestyle skating stuff and hang out with the freestyle skaters who also happen to be hockey players in the area

It’ll be nice, just like when I was a kid, in the summer hanging out at the skate park just with rollerblades this time

E: like this stuff I’m assuming is what people to do warm up: .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp0Y3BDDp4A I’ve been learning this kind of stuff along with focusing on open hip Mohawk/crosby stuff

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 28, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's what people should do to warm up. No one actually does it though.

Why limber up the joints when you could be missing the net with slapshots? Warmups are when you're waiting for the zamboni to get the gently caress off the ice so you do some halfhearted dynamic stretches while bullshitting with the boys.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Starting the spring season strong. 7 skaters for our 10:45 start time tonight. loving rip

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Just kidding we won 6-2 7 skaters vs 15. Our new goalie straight carried us. And 1 of their goals wasn't a goal and also they didn't count my goal that went 5 hole and hit the back bar and bounced out. Lmao. Even their goalie said I scored

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I will always contend that having fewer skaters than the other team, you will almost always win. It's because you skate and pass smarter. 8 or 9 is the sweet spot.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Jhet posted:

I've got a teammate who works for a major sporting goods chain and every year he gets to dig through their sample merch (stuff the manufacturers send to the retailers for evaluation on whether they want to carry it). He pays like a token fee for each item and this year he took requests, so I got a mid-upper tier pair of CCM pants for free. Way better protection than my last pair and they're light as hell.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

bgreman posted:

I've got a teammate who works for a major sporting goods chain and every year he gets to dig through their sample merch (stuff the manufacturers send to the retailers for evaluation on whether they want to carry it). He pays like a token fee for each item and this year he took requests, so I got a mid-upper tier pair of CCM pants for free. Way better protection than my last pair and they're light as hell.

That’s awesome. I bought the cheap rec tier CCM because I didn’t know how much/long I’d end up using it. Now I’m on the ice a handful of times a week and have managed to break them through normal wear. Can’t even use suspenders because the buttons for them have managed to pop off too. It’s what I get for going cheap. At least I didn’t cheap out on the skates, that would have been a disaster.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bgreman posted:

Aw man that's way better than the guy I skate with who owns a Jet's Pizza franchise and gave me a coupon for a free pizza once.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Jhet posted:

That’s awesome. I bought the cheap rec tier CCM because I didn’t know how much/long I’d end up using it. Now I’m on the ice a handful of times a week and have managed to break them through normal wear. Can’t even use suspenders because the buttons for them have managed to pop off too. It’s what I get for going cheap. At least I didn’t cheap out on the skates, that would have been a disaster.

While you're at it, have a look at girdles if you are in the market for new pants. I've bought one a few years back and I won't go back to normal pants.

First few times they feel super tight and you will hate it, but then things loosen up a bit and they move with your thigh so well. I have the CCM ones because I was required to at the time, but I think the Warrior ones even have an option for a cup, which would have been nice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The downside of girdles is the metric ton of velcro used to hold them on you. You gonna be the loudest bro in the locker room after the game.

Once mine wears out I probably won't get another girdle.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I've gone back and forth with getting a girdle. But no near hockey stores to try one on.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

LowOnCyan posted:

While you're at it, have a look at girdles if you are in the market for new pants. I've bought one a few years back and I won't go back to normal pants.

First few times they feel super tight and you will hate it, but then things loosen up a bit and they move with your thigh so well. I have the CCM ones because I was required to at the time, but I think the Warrior ones even have an option for a cup, which would have been nice.

I'll probably make the drive over to the store and try a girdle, but I imagine I'll still end up in breezers. It would be nice to be able to switch them between shells and pants, but I'm good with the level of protective equipment I have for my midsection in my non-playing gear. And that way everything can have time to dry/air out.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Finding a group of chill hockey players is so nice. I got invited by one of the regular goalies at roller hockey pickup to make a team for a tournament over Memorial Day weekend, and everyone else that was invited is a cool dude. Pickup games are competitive and friendly, no drama or dickheads.

On the other hand I got added to a Snapchat group for organizing ice hockey drop in and some of those dudes are the worst. Mostly a few of the young guys in the group but it’s probably because I don’t recognize internet poisoned edge lord sarcasm anymore.

In conclusion, hockey is a land of contrasts.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I kept looking at hockey backpacks and it looks like Conway and banks released a new one recently called Louise. https://conwayandbanks.com/products/conway-banks-louise-backpack

Looking at reviews it seems bigger than pacific rink and has padded shoulders and hip strap so I’ll likely go for it But will still try pacific rink backpack first. Problem is my gear bag’s strap is starting to tear at the anchor point and if I go for Louise it’s a preorder for another run that might release in summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

xzzy posted:

The downside of girdles is the metric ton of velcro used to hold them on you. You gonna be the loudest bro in the locker room after the game.

Once mine wears out I probably won't get another girdle.

Oh. I set mine once, and just take it on and off like a breezer. It's become like a customized fitting set of breezers. I think I adjusted like a couple of time in the first 10 skates.

Jhet posted:

I'll probably make the drive over to the store and try a girdle, but I imagine I'll still end up in breezers. It would be nice to be able to switch them between shells and pants, but I'm good with the level of protective equipment I have for my midsection in my non-playing gear. And that way everything can have time to dry/air out.

I thought about swapping shells and stuff but the shells are really expensive for what it is. I never ended up doing it. If you do go with it, you _may_ find it kinda tight for like the first 10 skates, and then it kinda loosens and forms to your body.