Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still honestly don't understand any of the voting systems I've encountered other the FPTP so you might as well just replace the voting process with magic for all that I would understand the process involved in selecting the winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The point is largely that it's the political parties who pick the winners and people mostly only get a say in how many they are allowed to pick (a lot of systems allow voters to downrank candidates but most voters don't bother except in egregious cases).

e: In practice it's not too different from getting a nomination under FPTP though, except in contested seats where personal charisma matters somewhat. Independents can still run and usually with more ease as getting a few percent of national support is generally easier than getting a plurality in a single seat.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 3, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

WE NEED A WORLD WHERE YOU CAN EAT AS MUCH ICE CREAM AS YOU LIKE AND NOT PUT ON WEIGHT. NOT THE ALTERNATIVE VOTE.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We could have had alternative votes every week if we brexited properly

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

WE NEED A WORLD WHERE YOU CAN EAT AS MUCH ICE CREAM AS YOU LIKE AND NOT PUT ON WEIGHT. NOT THE ALTERNATIVE VOTE.

ALTERNATIVE VOTE? NO! ALTERNATIVE VEST!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Quaint times when £250m was a large amount to spaff on vanity projects.

I hope they got rid of whatever voting system produced governments that start wars and send people off to them with inadequate equipment :ohdear:

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Jel Shaker posted:

People really shouldn’t be that worked up about who they vote for, the MPs/councillors themselves clearly don’t give a poo poo and are happy to swap parties even after they won an election on a party platform

I love that politicians are allowed to switch parties after getting elected based on the absolute fiction that people vote for a person not a party.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

From the Wikipedia page, NoToAV had some interesting bedfellows.

quote:

Conservative Party[3]

Many Labour Party members. Although party leader Ed Miliband supported a 'Yes' vote, over 200 Labour MPs and Peers supported the 'No' campaign.[4][5] Among the prominent Labour Party members against AV were Margaret Beckett (acting as President of the NOtoAV campaign),[6] Caroline Flint, David Blunkett, Lord Reid of Cardowan, John Prescott and Lord Falconer of Thoroton[6]
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP)[7]

Others
Ulster Unionist Party[7]
British National Party[8]
Respect Party[8]
Traditional Unionist Voice[7]
Communist Party of Britain[4]

Another important point was that the 'yes' campaign was very much spearheaded by the LDs, and the vote was 2011, a year into the coalition that nobody wanted or voted for. People didn't trust anything the LDs did, said or promoted after that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Down that path does lie the question of why MPs vote for anything though, as if people vote for parties then the largest party should simply rule by diktat.

Would you have to enforce a minimum quota of how much MPs have to vote with their party or it triggers a byelection? Or give party leadership the ability to trigger them if an MP is suspended from the party?

Absent a fundamental restructuring of how representative democracy works (such as getting rid of it) I can't honestly think of a system which would forbid MPs from telling their party to eat poo poo, without also basically handing massive amounts of power to the party leadership. MPs being able to tell their party to gently caress off is sort of the entire reason we have them, instead of just polling the entire country and giving total control to whichever cabinet gets the most votes.

That parties are willing to accept MPs crossing the floor (and then install them as candidates in the next election regardless of what their members want) is more an indictment of the parties than how the system works. There's nothing that says labour have to accept tories, they do it because they want to.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 3, 2023

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

I was pretty young when the alternative vote referendum happened, but I'm still pretty confused as to why so many were against it.

it's a significant improvement over fptp but not what electoral reform proponents (including the lib dems) really wanted, which would be some sort of proportional representation system (which would be better than av too). the tories of course opposed it and labor didn't take a position (though more mps backed no), which meant that you had a situation where the only party backing a yes vote were the lib dems, and even they were doing so without that much enthusiasm. electoral systems are also nerd stuff that most of the public doesn't understand or care about and the lib dems had also just alienated a large portion of their voters by going into coalition with the tories and reneging on most of their election promises without much to show for it, so they weren't at all in a good position to make the case for change, especially when it wasn't even the change that they wanted. no campaign also told sensational lies constantly as you would expect.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Times is reporting this morning that the energy price guarantee will continue from 1st April for another 3 months.
I don't see it reported anywhere else (other than references back to this Times article).

https://archive.is/qM0Hf

UK energy price guarantee ‘to remain for another three months’
Bills limit was due to rise to £3,000 a year from April but Jeremy Hunt set to keep it at £2,500

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Guavanaut posted:

I'm 99% sure that Barry in Four Lions is supposed to be a parody of David Wulstan Myatt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XT8Re4r_ig

Which goes a way to explaining why he's so ready to bomb a mosque to 'radicalize the moderates', being a neo-nazi conspiracy oval office wearing Muslim vibes more than a Muslim.

Is he the BNP guy who accidentally converted himself to Islam through extensive study of the Koran in order to better troll Muslims?

Pretty sure Morris cited him as a direct inspiration for Barry.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He's been in nearly every Nazi group from the BNP to Combat 18 to NSM, alleged occult weirdo, and converted to Islam mostly to praise bin Laden and advocate bombing people and killing Jews to something something capitalist consumer West something degeneracy.

Also a good example of why not to bother debating Nazis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_qJSEkgUtM

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Times is reporting this morning that the energy price guarantee will continue from 1st April for another 3 months.
I don't see it reported anywhere else (other than references back to this Times article).

https://archive.is/qM0Hf

UK energy price guarantee ‘to remain for another three months’
Bills limit was due to rise to £3,000 a year from April but Jeremy Hunt set to keep it at £2,500

Amazing! So my energy bills will stay extortionate as opposed to mega extortionate!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Looks like there have been a few, Stephen Jones is another who went fash->jihad and then got done for trying to radicalize other inmates in prison, and Muhammed Islam is one who appears to at least be somewhat sincere (but probably still fashy). Myatt is just the most infamous because he wrote so much poo poo and tried to position himself as some sort of public intellectual of regressive counterrevolution and antisemitism.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Cops eh? Although this BBC headline does its best to obfuscate the fact he’s a cop kiddy fiddler

https://twitter.com/bbcnews/status/1630120557743071234?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

smellmycheese posted:

Cops eh? Although this BBC headline does its best to obfuscate the fact he’s a cop kiddy fiddler

https://twitter.com/bbcnews/status/1630120557743071234?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

How is it doing that?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How is it doing that?

I didn’t immediately read “inspector” as cop. He could have been inspecting bus tickets, or building regulations, or childrens buttocks

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I at first assumed he was a filth, but then considered that he might have been the guy who ensures that the paedos are up to scratch.

Also I could clarify when I said was young for the AV referendum - I mean old enough to vote in it but young enough that said vote not as well informed as it would have been now. I voted for AV. I was also one of the cunts who was taken in by Clegg and then disgusted with him.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

I at first assumed he was a filth, but then considered that he might have been the guy who ensures that the paedos are up to scratch.

Also I could clarify when I said was young for the AV referendum - I mean old enough to vote in it but young enough that said vote not as well informed as it would have been now. I voted for AV. I was also one of the cunts who was taken in by Clegg and then disgusted with him.

About the most positive thing I can say about Starmer is that he is a less likable Nick Clegg.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I expected much more of Clegg than I do of Starmer. The naivety of youth.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Clegg at least apologies for his outrageous lies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUDjRZ30SNo

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I expected much more of Clegg than I do of Starmer. The naivety of youth.

Did you Say Goodbye To Broken Promises though.

e: For all his faults Kieth is at least open about his poo poo policies.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 3, 2023

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Private Speech posted:

Did you Say Goodbye To Broken Promises though.

e: For all his faults Kieth is at least open about how poo poo his policies are.

He's basically done a Clegg before he was elected. A pre-Clegg if you will.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I feel queasy when I see his stupid face now. It's what the face of no respect looks like.

Of COURSE he went to loving FACEBOOK.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Zalakwe posted:

He's basically done a Clegg before he was elected. A pre-Clegg if you will.
Can’t have HUMILIATION FOR LOSER KEITH as a headline if your whole brand is being a humiliated loser *taps head*

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

God, I remember those billboards, they infuriated me at the time lol: "He needs an incubator, not an alternative voting system!"
They worked too, which was even more annoying.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pistol_Pete posted:

God, I remember those billboards, they infuriated me at the time lol: "He needs an incubator, not an alternative voting system!"
They worked too, which was even more annoying.

But the most annoying thing is they never got that incubator anyway

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'm Scottish so ill probably just vote SNP or Scottish Green

greens are kinda shite with how they are pressuring scotgov to go green and close off north sea oil and all that other shite with bike lanes when our roads are filled with potholes

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Payndz posted:

I realised the one good thing about living in an extremely safe Tory seat is that I feel no need whatsoever to hold my nose and vote for whichever Tony Blair Institute-approved ghoul Starmer parachutes in to run here (or LD Orange Booker, for that matter).
I keep thinking about a bit from Chapo a few years ago, after Bernie got screwed in the primaries - they were asking why the gently caress should the dirtbag left 'hold our noses' and vote for Hillary to keep the bad orange man out, when none of the moderates could do that for Bernie when it was obvious he had a grass roots movement and immense public support (to the point of having to lie and misrepresent his results on TV).

I feel the same here - all the sensible centrists who couldn't bring themselves to vote for Corbyn and opened the door for Boris are now demanding we vote for their guy, and will get blamed for the tories getting in if we don't.

It's poo poo. It's a poo poo choice, but it is a choice, and just because you have options, doesn't mean it's really a choice. I hate it. It's so hosed.

Microplastics posted:

But the most annoying thing is they never got that incubator anyway
Yeah, notably not mentioning that he doesn't have a vest under the current system either.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Getting even 12% of people to switch to cycling would do wonders for reducing road maintenance, whereas if you fix the potholes but do nothing about the over-dependence on individual car use then you just get more potholes again.

At least until the biosphere collapse, I imagine you could use some of the larger ones for the bodies then.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Potholes round here are mostly caused by trucks and tractors on roads not designed to support them, insufficient weather and water run off design, half arsed repair work and cyclists doing skids.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I assume that like the £350 million a week to the NHS, he did not, in fact, get a bullet proof vest.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i recall the kit we give our soldiers is so poo poo they buy their own vests too

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I was also one of the cunts who was taken in by Clegg and then disgusted with him.

In good company on here

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for going green but it's a bunch of costly initiatives at once, such as the Dundee eBikes which went bust recently, deposit return scheme, banning none electrics by 2030, etc. It just makes everyone mad about Scotgov and will cause em to vote for other parties instead. Much like APB by Realtime Worlds, some things are just too ahead of the times

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

A reality TV nobody was just sentenced to 21 months in prison for uploading cctv footage of him having sex with someone to Onlyfans.

Just look at the prick as he arrived for sentencing:

https://twitter.com/charlie_crispy/status/1631651552414023685

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Kill All Cops posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for going green but it's a bunch of costly initiatives at once, such as the Dundee eBikes which went bust recently, deposit return scheme, banning none electrics by 2030, etc. It just makes everyone mad about Scotgov and will cause em to vote for other parties instead. Much like APB by Realtime Worlds, some things are just too ahead of the times

The Glasgow bike scheme has been pretty successful, deposit return should have been done years ago (and the UK Gov will probably announce their own scheme soon) and oil needs to stay underground because of the coming eternal summer.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Sure would be nice to live in a good country where they would explain the benefits and drawbacks of voting types to people, instead of using their ignorance against them for personal benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Hope you're all having a nice Friday