Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
More Kauai pics! Birds this time.

I love nenes. They're like less terrible Canada geese.

A Hawaiian cardinal is just a regular cardinal's head plopped onto some other bird.

Maybe a shama thrush? It doesn't look quite like the other pictures I pulled up but I can't find any other orange-bellied Hawaiian birds. This one was very bold and the picture was taken with my cell phone at only 2x zoom.

Cattle egret. I wish I'd gotten more pictures of these as they were all over, but they were very timid.

Hawaiian owl! One of the rare diurnal owls.

I think this was the best chicken we saw. And we saw a lot of chickens.

This, however, was the most Kauai thing I witnessed.

I found the Big Island to be better for birding overall, but we also spent more time in the jungle there which probably helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Oh goodness did that hen make a nest out of a coconut husk? :3: That is way too goddamn adorable!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Cattle egret. I wish I'd gotten more pictures of these as they were all over, but they were very timid.
Classic case of egret regret.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Anna's Hummingbirds are one of the earliest winter/spring breeding birds around here in the Bay Area. I found this gal on a nearby trail during the Great Backyard Bird Count. I'm away for about a week and I'm really crossing my fingers that she survives. Last year I spotted 2 or 3 hummer nests along this trail and non of them were successful.

Gyuto Hummer Nest-5263 on Flickr

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Some kind of robber fly maybe?

Banana stalk fly, Telostylinus lineolatus, family Neriidae.
http://cookislands.bishopmuseum.org/species.asp?id=7793

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
okay. I can't draw, but I want to give at least some idea of what I saw. I was driving home in massachusetts and in the darkness on the side of the road, I momentarily saw a black silhouette walking on top of the snow before it disappeared into some bushes, and it had kind of this shape:

it was walking with its butt up higher than its front legs, like a lemur:

the thing that was most notable was its tail, which was short and much thicker than, like, a rat's, possum's, or cat's tail or something, and pointed upwards like the lovely mspaint drawing. it wasn't walking like a cat either. it didn't seem to have much of a visible neck. it was about a foot or foot and a half long if I had to guess.

Any ideas what it might be?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I’d guess fisher.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah gently caress, that's ABSOLUTELY what it was! Thanks!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Speaking of things that can be mistaken for cats, there's been a very bold stinky kitty around our neighbourhood lately.

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

I am very careful when letting the dog out in the morning.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Speaking of things that can be mistaken for cats, there's been a very bold stinky kitty around our neighbourhood lately.

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

I am very careful when letting the dog out in the morning.

Yeah we have plenty of those in our neighborhood and basically have vampire-movie rules about taking out the trash between sundown and sun-up.

I think I got critterquested by a critter last night. Usually they scram if we move the curtain on our back door but this one was curious.

Raccoon visitor on Flickr

Raccoon visitor on Flickr

Raccoon visitoron Flickr

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's a big fuckin skunk

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

That's a big fuckin skunk

yeah holy crap.

he's gorgeous and i love their little wiggle-run

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeah holy crap.

he's gorgeous and i love their little wiggle-run

That is the run of an animal that doesn't need to run fast

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
trundling :3:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Any clue what kind of animal leaves a paw print like this?

I didn’t think anything above the size of a rat could make it under the front porch. That print is probably about an inch. I’m pretty sure it is new.

Big ground squirrel? It would have to be one huge rat to have toe pads that big.

It’s got a tiny thumb smudge when I turn off the bathroom light and peer out at it from on top of a step ladder.

Maybe a regular ol’ grey squirrel, watchin’ me poop.

Surprising, since I haven’t seen any grey squirrels in this yard. I hear a ridiculous amount of diurnal owl calls out here. And there a plenty of hawks.

Bored fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 4, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Anna's Hummingbirds are one of the earliest winter/spring breeding birds around here in the Bay Area. I found this gal on a nearby trail during the Great Backyard Bird Count. I'm away for about a week and I'm really crossing my fingers that she survives. Last year I spotted 2 or 3 hummer nests along this trail and non of them were successful.

Gyuto Hummer Nest-5263 on Flickr

I love Anna's. They're year-round residents here, and they sing up a storm. Last year we had at least 6 or so that were around a lot, and watching their behavior was both really cool and kind of confusing - some of it I can only assume was play. We also get migratory hummingbirds, but they don't sing and didn't seem to have the more complex behavior the Anna's show.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

My friend was out clearing trails in the woods on her property and found a skull. It took a few minutes of googling to discover that it was a raccoon skull. I also learned that opossum skulls appear to have sagital crests to attach jaw muscles to for chewing tough things, kind of like gorillas, although they may not be called sagital crests when not gorillas. Anyway, my friend’s chihuahua would really like me to give her the skull, please.

I did not take the picture with a potato, but with a refurbished iPad. Sorry. I’ll get better ones with my phone since the nasal cartilage is visible and looks as complex as the nasal cavities I’ve seen on dog skulls in videos talking about dogs’ scenting abilities (I feel like I worded that wrong).

Pretty sure something ate its nose when it was freshly dead since the front of its mouth is also missing.

Bored fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 7, 2023

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Raccoon skull! My SIL let me borrow the one she found:
https://skfb.ly/6T8JZ

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

^^^^ :eyepop: this rules

Bored posted:

Any clue what kind of animal leaves a paw print like this?

I didn’t think anything above the size of a rat could make it under the front porch. That print is probably about an inch. I’m pretty sure it is new.

Big ground squirrel? It would have to be one huge rat to have toe pads that big.

It’s got a tiny thumb smudge when I turn off the bathroom light and peer out at it from on top of a step ladder.

Maybe a regular ol’ grey squirrel, watchin’ me poop.

Surprising, since I haven’t seen any grey squirrels in this yard. I hear a ridiculous amount of diurnal owl calls out here. And there a plenty of hawks.

maybe raccoon??

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

maybe raccoon??

Lol. Checked that. Not a raccoon. I’m fairly confident it is a squirrel.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

my cat is norris posted:

I just got in contact with our natural science museum and they want to possibly collaborate with me to capture their invertibrate collection.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Alterian posted:

I just got in contact with our natural science museum and they want to possibly collaborate with me to capture their invertibrate collection.
Out of context that sounds like quite a problem

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

...but perfect for this thread in either context!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Spring is not really here! But the light is kinda back, so here's some rapists and thieves. All from the same canal from the bridge that lets a heavy traffic road pass the "old" Copenhagen fortifications (that were actually obsolete before they were built)

Gulls, in Danish called hættemåger, literally hood gulls. They had just spotted a duck with food and swarmed him.

Ducks, mostly just swimming about, no actual rape witnessed, which is good because I don't want to explain that to the kid.

And a bonus not duck aquatic bird, lappedykker in Danish, second part meaning diver. Also a duck.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Doesn't lappedykker mean grebe? That's a Eurasian Coot. Blishøne in Danish according to Google.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, I messed up my birds, it's a blishøne, or Eurasian coot. I'll post a lappedykker/grebe when I see one though.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

an unusually large pinecone young bald eagle on the tree next door

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
What snek is this?

Found today in northern Florida.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Water snake? Maybe Nerodia Sipedon? Not my specialty so take that with a grain of salt.

This finch looks so much more "dipped in red wine" than the house finches. Purple finch? (Central Kentucky)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

standard.deviant posted:

What snek is this?

Found today in northern Florida.

When I lived in Florida I always bet on snakes that size being copperheads. They have a similar pattern too; I just can't tell if that one is on its side.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Could be a copperhead. Hard without seeing the head.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The Red Queen posted:

Water snake? Maybe Nerodia Sipedon? Not my specialty so take that with a grain of salt.

This finch looks so much more "dipped in red wine" than the house finches. Purple finch? (Central Kentucky)

Yes!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Scarodactyl posted:

Could be a copperhead. Hard without seeing the head.

At that size a copperhead would have a yellow tail tip wouldn’t it

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Saw this weird cat outside my house last night.

He was an absolute unit, and gave not one single poo poo at having a flashlight shined on him. Just snacked on some fallen bird feed and waddled off.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Yeah, I messed up my birds, it's a blishøne, or Eurasian coot. I'll post a lappedykker/grebe when I see one though.

If you can see their feet, coots/blishøns are super recognizable. They don't have webbed feet like ducks or gulls, but regular bird feet with... flaps. You can sorta see it in this picture, or you can just Google "coot foot" because it sounds funny).

For more weird Danish bird feet, swans like to swim around with one feet wrapped up on their back. I think they all do it, but it's very visible in the young ones with juvenile plumage.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That's amazing. I see eurasian coots all the time here in Australia; it really surprises me that they have a name in Danish. Unreal.
Next time I go to the lake I'm going to point out all the Blishøne.

Uhhhh, how would I pronounce that...?

e: Also is Blishøne singular or plural

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tree Bucket posted:

That's amazing. I see eurasian coots all the time here in Australia; it really surprises me that they have a name in Danish. Unreal.
Next time I go to the lake I'm going to point out all the Blishøne.

Uhhhh, how would I pronounce that...?

e: Also is Blishøne singular or plural

"Bliss-hurn", I guess. The latter E gets dropped in a lot of dialects, but you can add an extra "uh" at the end. "Høne" is singular, "høns" is plural. I had to look this up, but the "blis" refers to the white spot on its forehead, it's related to "blaze" in English.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

A wild pupper gave me a visit when it snowed!

https://youtu.be/W80W82Vw-ok

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

bluebird at my feeders today, a never before seen sight

A lovely fellow

He's been here a few days but the last couple of times I spotted him I thought "naaahh can't be" as he was in the tree line/shadows and I assumed he was either a titmouse or a catbird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

big dog and opossum?