Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly

Bobulus posted:

I mean, the tone of this situation is all over the place, but at least these things make sense in the setting. We've seen plenty of straight-out magic and how Kat interprets that magic as code. It reads to me like feature-creep: She had a problem she wanted to solve and came up with several ways to do it, and then didn't stop and think about how implementing all those solutions at once would conflict.

'Oh, I'm working around experimental electrical tech all the time, it would be a good idea to have a way to negate shocks from electricity. For safety. Until I figure that out, I'll make it so my body can't reflexively jerk when shocked, which could lead to me pulling my arm back and hitting something even more dangerous.'

'Okay, I borrowed a bit of code-magic from the Court that lets me negate the shock by absorbing it. Cool cool cool. Although... if I'm already going to be absorbing shocks, I should take advantage of that. Let me use that power for something.'

'Okay, now I can use the absorbed electricity, so I'm not burning calories like crazy to control my new electro-magic tech powers. But deliberately shocking myself every couple hours is tedious. Let's take this code a little farther and have the chip able to absorb ambient electricity from around me. Brilliant!'

So now when the chip was turned on, it starts absorbing ambient electricity, the 'don't twitch' failsafes she forgot to take out go off, and her body is immediately immobilized.

I read it as catching the electrical signals inherent to the nervous system and blocking all movement that would cause. Which is all movement.
Although that's probably giving it too much credit, since that would mean Kat had inadvertently switched off her heart, and she doesn't seem to be dying from that at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:phone: MY NECK EXPLODED LIKE AN IED BUT IT'S OKAY, IT WAS A NORMAL EXPLOSION

:phoneb: It's okay, we didn't really care anyw--

:phone: SO, OUT OF NOWHERE I'M GOING TO REFER TO MY BODY AS AN ACCOUNT LOL. I'M TOTALLY NOT DISTURBED BY THIS IN ANY WAY. ANYWAY HOW'S THE BIG GAME, ARE THE EAGLES STILL UP BY 10?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 27, 2023

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
"I'll just log into my backup account"
*boxbot wheels on out*

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
quote is not edit

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
15 inch monitor, CD or DVD drive, 3.5 floppy drive, stick mic, that ever present round logitech webcam

Oh the memories.

Wanna degauss that monitor.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Kat, I need you to admit you uploaded your mind to your computer, and now you are asking us to restart that computer.

Admit that we've been juggling souls, Kat.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CannonFodder posted:

15 inch monitor, CD or DVD drive, 3.5 floppy drive, stick mic, that ever present round logitech webcam

Oh the memories.

Wanna degauss that monitor.
Please do not degauss the female students.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The computer she admitted a few pages ago that she had basically built on the moon...

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'm guessing they will either screw up the restart process, or we'll end up with one physical Kat and one Robot Goddess Kat.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

I'm guessing they will either screw up the restart process, or we'll end up with one physical Kat and one Robot Goddess Kat.

Oh great, another arc of "Oh, there are two different versions of this character. Which one is the reaaaaaal one?" that ends with Zimmy snapping her fingers and merging them together which no one ever comments on again. The undead robots can't eat their brains fast enough.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

She wants them to reboot the computer.

Will the robots let her?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nettle Soup posted:

The computer she admitted a few pages ago that she had basically built on the moon...
Oh that's OK they know a guy who knows a gal

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

She wants them to reboot the computer.

Will the robots let her?

Robot is totally gonna hide her body while they’re away.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Robot is totally gonna hide her body while they’re away.

If this happens I hope Tom doesn't go for some sexual shock value like the elves but worse.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

"Haha, what? Oh yeah, it will totally delete this version of me when you reboot the computer, but don't worry, I have myself backed up on the hard drive. Why does that concern you? It's fine! It has all the correct 1's and 0's that make me up!"

So later are we going to get:

Kat sheepishly: "Ah, hah, umm, well if I told you what was going to happen, I didn't think you would do it, hah, right? But really, it's okay now, or at least I think it is, I'm sorry but I really wanted to do this."

Or:

Kat nonchalantly going full "I forgot what empathy is" failing to understand why the people closest to her might be concerned with her safety while being lied to, and in her mind triumphantly moving on.

Like:

Potato Salad posted:

:phone: MY NECK EXPLODED LIKE AN IED BUT IT'S OKAY, IT WAS A NORMAL EXPLOSION

:phoneb: It's okay, we didn't really care anyw--

:phone: SO, OUT OF NOWHERE I'M GOING TO REFER TO MY BODY AS AN ACCOUNT LOL. I'M TOTALLY NOT DISTURBED BY THIS IN ANY WAY. ANYWAY HOW'S THE BIG GAME, ARE THE EAGLES STILL UP BY 10?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The actual shocking reveal I see coming is Annie and Paz can now look at Kat's browsing history while rebooting her. Kat thought having her personal computer password protected was reason enough to not bother with incognito mode but now look what's gone and happened.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Annointed posted:

If this happens I hope Tom doesn't go for some sexual shock value like the elves but worse.

That's kind of a weird thing to bring up

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Alternatively, Annie and Paz go full "Weekend at Bernie's" or blackout "Hangover" style buddy comedy route and pose Kat's body in a bunch of hilariously embarrassing situations while taking photos while Kat is stuck in the computer watching all the hijinks, comically powerless to stop them.

"Guys, come on, cut it out! Guys?"

"Should have thought about that first! Quick, draw something silly on her face with a marker and send the picture to the robots!"

E: "Why is there a crudely drawn dong on our Angel's face?" and all the robots follow suit of their maker and draw dongs on their faces.

Twenty Four fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 2, 2023

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

The court has had previous iteration of weird romance views and the latest weird romance thing was the immigrant elves. From bad hackneyed writing it feels like something Tom could do since my faith has fallen this badly.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

not in the context of gunnerkrigg court tbh, i don't trust this man with anything anymore

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
(unbiased and motivation-free voice) there's too much Weird Policing itt, imnsho

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

kind of a weird thing to have drawn and published

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Niavmai posted:

kind of a weird thing to have drawn and published

I keep forgetting that scene is there every time I re-read that part of the comic and it keeps catching me by surprise.

It's so out of place and doesn't even have the dubious decency of serving a purpose -- cut it out, and does anything change? Nope.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

isasphere posted:

cut it out, and does anything change? Nope.

Title potential right here.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
^^^

isasphere posted:

I keep forgetting that scene is there every time I re-read that part of the comic and it keeps catching me by surprise.

It's so out of place and doesn't even have the dubious decency of serving a purpose -- cut it out, and does anything change? Nope.

I thought it was what made Lana fall in love with Loup, but it was only ever referenced immediately after, with all the characters telling Jerrek he was good, actually, and Renard saying weird poo poo.

Just lol if that scene's main motivation was to make Jerrek sympathetic.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

catapede posted:

^^^

I thought it was what made Lana fall in love with Loup, but it was only ever referenced immediately after, with all the characters telling Jerrek he was good, actually, and Renard saying weird poo poo.

Just lol if that scene's main motivation was to make Jerrek sympathetic.
Even then it's like... if Lana only "loves" Jerrek because of the alleyway scene, that's a very "robot raised on anime" deal so as she grows as a person she should realise that she decided this before she had any real understanding of and therefor any actual real affection for Jerrek as a person. So a proper exploration of this in the context of two weird-kind-of-teenaged-but-not working out this stuff would be the two of them breaking up because their entire relationship is based on a few train rides and him beating up an ethnic in an alleyway, either mutually or in a way that teaches Loup/Jerrek some kind of lesson or in a way that makes him go extra nuts*. Or leaning into this being an unhealthy relationship built on a lovely foundation and their mutual immaturity feeding into each other until it all goes boom. Literally.

If we take out the gross alley relationship speedrun and instead showed them mutually growing close and affectionate over time then we have a completely different potential arc where weird-kind-of-teenaged-but-not Loup and weird-kind-of-teenaged-but-not Lana have a weird-kind-of-teenaged-but-not relationship and help each other become better, more mature individuals, blending the "Loup" and "New People" arcs together. Or Loup does something unforgiveable and Lana dumps him over it and he realises his actions have consequences that actually matter to him*. Or, again, immaturity escalating to timebomb, but with a very different tone. But you can't get to these resolutions if you try to speedrun the setup via alleyway assault.

*In both of these cases it'd be gross that she existed entirely as a facet to Loup's character arc though

So if Tom wraps this up with a hosed up relationship style resolution then the alleyway scene is still gross and bad and could have easily been replaced with something else but there's at least some kind of narrative throughline. If he goes for an oh those adorkable lovebirds resolution though then it's gross and bad and significantly detracts from what he was actually trying to do with their arc.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 2, 2023

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
With how much focus there was on the Loup/Lana story before they suddenly vanished, I'm starting to think that them falling in love was a way to write them out of the comic until it comes time for Annie to kill Loup.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

My sensors indicate you're running low on toilet paper, shall I add it to your cart?

Also, Annie, your recent purchases indicate a psychological breakdown. Shall I add an appointment with a psychiatrist to your calendar?

Robot is definitely going to hook her body up to the servers in this room while they aren't watching it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

When even the characters in your comic are getting pissed about the current storyline.

We just spent a week on basically nothing happening to move the plot forward.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Did they at least put her in a decent long term rest position or is she going to wake up with nerve damage.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Robot finds the body, makes the other robots think they killed the Angel/the Angel has finally ascended, poo poo goes south.

And a robot berates Annie.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Hey Eglamore how's it going? So Paz and I were hanging out with Kat and she was like hey I want to test out this new chip I developed for a brain computer interface, can you put it in my spine? I was like, woah that's weird, I'm not sure I want to do that. But she said she really trusted me and I'm really good with a knife, so I was like "hmmmm I don't know". So I started doing spinal surgery and Paz started crying and there was blood but everything went okay so we were like "phew!" But then Kat held up this remote to her neck and her head exploded. She fell on the ground and we were like "oh no get that thing out!" but then she started talking to us through the computer speakers and said it was fine so we dragged her body into a closet and went to go find the computer that could reset her brain or whatever.

So yeah don't worry, it's not my blood!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If this comic wants to go real grimdark real fast,

"Robot finds Kats comatose body, tries to turn it off and on again. Robot turns Kat off, is unable to turn her back on." Everyone blames Annie because "gently caress you, Annie" has apparently been the moral of the past few chapters.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
You can't just leave apparent corpses lying around unattended. Really need an "I Ate'nt Dead" sign for this sort of thing.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
they should draw a dick on her forehead

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

maltesh posted:

You can't just leave apparent corpses lying around unattended. Really need an "I Ate'nt Dead" sign for this sort of thing.
:witch:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Don't Open Kat Outside

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011
cyber-senses.

please tom, wrap it up, i want to be free.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011
oh my god kat is literally sheldon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Niavmai posted:

cyber-senses.

please tom, wrap it up, i want to be free.

To be fair that was pretty obviously a joke lol

I actually do like the juxtaposition of the seriousness of the situation with Kat's carefree attitude about it. She's always been pretty blase about technological horrors beyond human comprehension, since she (thinks she) understands all the inner workings of it all. My problem is more with how contrived the situation is and how Annie / Paz are treating this like Kat playing a light prank on them when it should be all accounts be a crisis for them.