Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

JackBandit posted:

I was messing around with stable diffusion yesterday and troubleshooting a bug and came across this repo

https://huggingface.co/hakurei/waifu-diffusion

finally a way to generate generic portraits of generic anime girls, something the internet was sorely lacking in until now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Taima posted:

Wait really? If you're not joking and it cleans up animation a lot, that kind of owns.
one of the big surprises for my lg tv was that turning on sharpening actually made anime look much better, not worse. youtube and twitch also look pretty good with it iirc

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

JackBandit posted:

I was messing around with stable diffusion yesterday and troubleshooting a bug and came across this repo

https://huggingface.co/hakurei/waifu-diffusion

And then the Japanese decided turnabout is fair play.

https://twitter.com/nekomiya_anz/status/1596413621634232327

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Lockback posted:

Does it work on any video player? I stream basketball games and they frequently have the exact kind of blurry/blocky resolution that this says it addresses but the source isn't Youtube.
There's a modded version of MPC Video Renderer to enable it inside MPC-BE.

https://github.com/emoose/VideoRenderer/releases/tag/rtx-1.0

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Is video super frame rate something that exists? Extra resolution seems way less appealing than converting 60fps content into 120, at least for certain use cases.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Frame doubling has been a thing forever. If you mean literally creating new video frames from whole cloth, that would be difficult. There have been various projects to upscale old films, with varying degrees of success. However those weren't done on the fly.

I mean, the proof is in the pudding here; Nvidia, after much effort, can barely upgrade video quality unless it's a relatively easy use case like animation, let alone creating higher fps video from whole cloth. Video games have tons of built in advantages- a holistic rendering pipeline already exists, brimming with data, along with additional motion vectors and such derived to improve DLSS. A video game is inherently a simulation; at the end of the day, your computer is taking inputs and creating an experience. Therefore, DLSS can hook into data generated by that simulation/render to extrapolate in a way that, on a second by second basis, your brain is unlikely to notice... much. Usually. Most of the time.

None of these advantages exist for video. All of the best upscales I've seen have been the result of pre-meditated, curated video, like "restoring" the old star wars films, and it's not like that tech is changing the world either.

With any luck this is a DLSS1 situation and they'll improve the tech by leaps and bounds over the coming years, but again, there is simply less data to work with at the end of the day here, and numerous expressive differences that make video much harder to work with than games. For example movies are unbound by a "moored experience"; they change frame of reference quickly, abruptly, and often times to entirely new vantage points, locations, etc. Video games are tethered to the user's inputs, and as such, maintain a much more predictable moment to moment vantage point.

On top of that, a lot of people are not acclimated to high fps video content and think it looks like trash, so it's not even a consumer upside in many cases.

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 2, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Frame interpolation from 30 to 60 (or 24 to 48) is a standard feature that has existed in TVs for years now. I don't know if anyone does it for 60 to 120 though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Frame interpolation from 30 to 60 (or 24 to 48) is a standard feature that has existed in TVs for years now. I don't know if anyone does it for 60 to 120 though.

I think that a majority of TVs actually offer it now:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/motion-interpolation-soap-opera-effect

rtings posted:

120Hz TVs should be able to interpolate 30 and 60 fps up to 120 fps

People also seem to hate it generally for a variety of reasons, so it generally gets kept off by the people nerdy enough to dive into their TV settings.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
trumotion/cinematic movement works just fine as long as it's a modern tv with cadence matching on a 120hz tv - since 120 is evenly divisible by 24:5 (and 30:4 and 60:2). without it, there's also going to be movement judder, so "purists" are just choosing one disadvantage over another perceived one

with monitors, it's obviously a total mess, especially with 144 and 165 being more common refresh rates

frame interpolation is absolute rear end of course

e: also, to the original question on "super framerates", people aren't keen on doing anything above 60 fps, but more people are starting to work with the 120 hz container you have on tv's. mainly for the purpose of addressing judder and things like that. "motion grading" is what james cameron wants us to use, and what's probably going to be available with the titanic remaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKNh7YFv3SQ

my main takeaway from avatar 2 was that the variable framerate made a lot of people want to barf, so ymmv i guess

for recording, 120 is generally good to master for, since you can edit to either of your non-fractional framerates of choice

kliras fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 2, 2023

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Video-related applications of tensor cores are a lot less interesting imo once you know the power consumption that comes with it especially for anything 60 FPS and above

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015
Can't say I agree with the chorus of mehs about the Nvidia upscaling, I'm finding it pretty impressive and a big value add. Upscaling old 720p Youtubes and pirate streaming video sites to 1440p makes a very noticeable difference. Video looks much better than game footage, and switching between 720p and 1080p, I'd say that 720p live action video with upscaling (to 1440p) looks about as good as 1080p without upscaling. Using a 145W mobile 3070, I'm seeing power usage/GPU usage go from about 12-15W/15% to 30-50W and 35-45%, so the 25W differential is way less punishing than with high end desktop cards. Game footage tends to overinterpret curves and patterns in textures and give a kind of a ropey, sinuous look like in those Elden Ring screenshots. Overall, it seems like a feature with a much better use case for a cheapskate like me who doesn't pay for any commercial media and so still deals with 720p or low-quality 1080p streams on a daily basis than it is for a 40 series power user trying to upscale to 4K.

Notably, I'm seeing zero difference in power usage between setting the quality to 1 vs 4, and very little difference if any in image quality. Perhaps a mobile 3070 only actually goes to quality 1.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.newegg.com/yeston-rtx-4080-16g-d6-ya/p/1FT-007N-00081

if anyone has $1400 to blow on irony (you are buying it ironically... right?)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cygni posted:

I love the front side on these Yeston cards and then I see the backplate and I’m like gently caress no.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Xenophanes posted:

Notably, I'm seeing zero difference in power usage between setting the quality to 1 vs 4, and very little difference if any in image quality. Perhaps a mobile 3070 only actually goes to quality 1.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5448

VSR only works on laptops if you go out of your way to set chrome to "high performance", and even then only when plugged into mains power

are you sure VSR is actually working and not just placebo

Xenophanes
Nov 8, 2015
It seems Chrome must have fixed that in the latest update, I didn't change any settings in the browser, and the gaming laptop stays plugged in. The difference is definitely not subtle starting from 720 or 480p. Also, I'm not saying there's no difference in power usage between upscaling on and off, it does increase my GPU power usage by 2.5x, it just uses the same at Quality 1 as at Quality 4.

[edit: Giving Chrome a custom power profile as described in that help document has made no difference to the power usage or performance.]

[edit2: Upscaling 1080p to 1440p is averaging ~100W instead of the 40W for a 720p source for far less benefit, so not as great as I thought, still no difference between quality levels though]

Xenophanes fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 2, 2023

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Arivia posted:

I love the front side on these Yeston cards and then I see the backplate and I’m like gently caress no.

Same

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

Arivia posted:

same but the other way round

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

you are buying it ironically... right?

no

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Apparently AMD's ReLive has seen some improvements since I ditched my RX 480:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dXxAkgC5Vk

Not sure how much this matters. Wouldn't anyone who needs more than Shadowplay just install OBS?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Drakhoran posted:

Apparently AMD's ReLive has seen some improvements since I ditched my RX 480:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dXxAkgC5Vk

Not sure how much this matters. Wouldn't anyone who needs more than Shadowplay just install OBS?

The "replay last <x> seconds in a tile on the stream" and "convert last <x> seconds to a gif" features are not standard in OBS.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Cygni posted:

I love Yeston’s ridiculous cards. They’re too expensive for what you’re getting most of the time, but they’re like the only brand not doing edgy black and grey designs on everything. Sure they’re too far in the other direction for a lot of folks, but that they’re even doing it owns.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

kliras posted:

my main takeaway from avatar 2 was that the variable framerate made a lot of people want to barf, so ymmv i guess

Did anyone not already know this after the animated Spiderman movie?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

K8.0 posted:

Did anyone not already know this after the animated Spiderman movie?

If you mean Spiderverse people learned that they loved that movie. And more animated movies have come out since with similar animation styles.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

spiderverse (and movies aping its style) also had the sense not to vary the framerate of the actual camera, even when characters are animated on twos for stylistic effect the camera still moves on ones

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yestons eventually hit firesales faster than any other card so you can get some good deal on waifu cards later in their life

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well yeah once they reach a certain age the target demographic doesn’t want them anymore.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

MarcusSA posted:

Well yeah once they reach a certain age the target demographic doesn’t want them anymore.

Oof

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Man if some people enjoy some harmless dorky poo poo just let em

This performative cynicism is tiring

It's good that GPUs try something other than just tribal tattoos and RGB dragons. Noctua GPUs are good. Waifu GPUs are good. Just make something nice

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Yeah I'm definitely down for more colorful graphics cards, waifu or not it's nice to have something that's not just black or white imo

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

Man if some people enjoy some harmless dorky poo poo just let em

This performative cynicism is tiring

It's good that GPUs try something other than just tribal tattoos and RGB dragons. Noctua GPUs are good. Waifu GPUs are good. Just make something nice

goons getting frothing mad about anime is one of the oldest traditions this site has lets be fair

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i genuinely think the card looks cool. the backplate is just completely random, but customizable backplates aren't much of a thing. i wouldn't mind a card like that if it had a blank backplate. not that it wouldn't be obscured by a cpu cooler anyway, but still

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
GPU board partners are missing out on a huge revenue stream by not doing tie-in collabs with seasonal anime or vtubers, they could easily throw a huge markup on that and get buyers

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

kliras posted:

i genuinely think the card looks cool. the backplate is just completely random, but customizable backplates aren't much of a thing. i wouldn't mind a card like that if it had a blank backplate. not that it wouldn't be obscured by a cpu cooler anyway, but still

fwiw their 7900 XT model has a more generic backplate. It still has lcd thing with an anime girl in it, but the rest of the backplate is just grey with some color to it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Shipon posted:

GPU board partners are missing out on a huge revenue stream by not doing tie-in collabs with seasonal anime or vtubers, they could easily throw a huge markup on that and get buyers

The west's reluctance to get involved with VTubers is... somewhat confusing given how much money is clearly floating around in the space, even at this realtively immature stage in its overall life cycle.

Well maybe it's not, they clearly don't understand vtubers... which to be fair, is a difficult ask. Vtuber popularity is a pretty complex phenomenon that lives at the crossroads between fraying modern social ties, changes in how celebrity is gained and maintained in a digital world, and the proliferation of technology that allows a very expressive digital avatar.

Whatever deep pocketed western company that manages to understand and work with the vtuber structure in the west is going to be insanely rich, but right now it's hard to understand how that partnership would even form. It'll get there though, life.. finds a way (to make money and exploit workers)

It feels pretty inevitable to me that, at the very least, we're looking at a new media platform that caters vtubers to every possible societal niche. Hard to say when such a thing would form but it's only a matter of time, and it's possible that whoever does that will dethrone youtube or at the very least make it sweat a little. Which would be great, because gently caress youtube.

Especially with GPUs becoming increasingly closer to, like, just being the computer. It's not hard to see a future in which a computer becomes a gpu with other poo poo tacked onto it, not the other way around, which makes it a great target for branding like this.

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 3, 2023

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam
I'm trying to understand why Doom 1 RTX looks so much better than the RTX versions of HL1, Q1 and Q2.

All of those do Path Tracing, apparently, so that can't be the sole reason.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

these classic games weren't developed with realistic materials or lighting in mind, so the quality of the RT ports is just as much about modifying the original assets to make them actually look good with realistic lighting than it is about adding the realistic lighting

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Doom 1 is actually reasonably colorful. Q1 and Q2 are definitely not and while HL1 has some color it's pretty grounded "boring office/industrial" for most of the game.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
In :canada: the 4070 Ti doesn’t seem like the worst value considering how high the prices of used 30 series cards is. No retailers seem to carry 30 series cards higher than 3070s, and used 3080s are seemingly going for $1000 in my area. There are 3090s on FB marketplace for $1300. EBay prices seem significantly better though, but I’m not sure how sketched out I should be by some of these prices.

Meanwhile 4070 Tis regularly go down to $1100 at actual retailers. So I’m not really sure I understand what these local used-card sellers are thinking.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Brownie posted:

Meanwhile 4070 Tis regularly go down to $1100 at actual retailers. So I’m not really sure I understand what these local used-card sellers are thinking.

"dont lowball me i know what i got"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Taima posted:

The west's reluctance to get involved with VTubers is... somewhat confusing given how much money is clearly floating around in the space, even at this realtively immature stage in its overall life cycle.

The whole made-up persona aspect of vTubers makes it appealing for people you should not financially support to pretend to be something else. Look at all the racist poo poo surrounding Mori Calliope if you'd like an example of someone becoming a high profile vTuber in less time than it takes the internet to sleuth out the skeletons in their closet, and how many won't give a poo poo.or even learn because they believe that seeing the kayfabe character instead of the actual human is "part of the fun."

Any fan of pro wrestling can see a lot of similarities with vTubers and despite the individual success of guys like Dave Bautista and The Rock to be embraced as mainstream entertainers the wrestling industry itself is still considered carny poo poo. vTubers are the same way, with the whole "please think of me as a cartoon character and don't ask where I was on Jan 6 2021" aspect of the business being poison to corporate sponsors except ones that already have no credibility like Gamer Energy Pills or some poo poo like that.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 3, 2023