Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Vegetable posted:

There are only so many ways to design a small grinder and it sure looks better than an Encore.

it looks better because they copied all of fellow’s homework

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Does anyone have one of the grinders with an ioniser on the output and does it make a difference?

my gen 2 ode is really clean without rdt

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

sugar free jazz posted:

my gen 2 ode is really clean without rdt

How often do you find that you have to follow their cleaning instructions? I actually have a question in with their customer support right now because I'm not sure if the ionizer on mine has an issue. It seems like there's hardly any static mess for a couple of days and then there's chaff everywhere. Here's a pic I snapped today, maybe 20 cycles since cleaning the chute well. Granted, I was experimenting with leaving the lid off the grounds collector so maybe that has something to do with it.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Easychair Bootson posted:

How often do you find that you have to follow their cleaning instructions? I actually have a question in with their customer support right now because I'm not sure if the ionizer on mine has an issue. It seems like there's hardly any static mess for a couple of days and then there's chaff everywhere. Here's a pic I snapped today, maybe 20 cycles since cleaning the chute well. Granted, I was experimenting with leaving the lid off the grounds collector so maybe that has something to do with it.

I’ve never cleaned it like that.

Every once in a while I bellows it out, but there’s never been stuck on chaff like that. Seems messier when I take the cap off the catch cup though so I just keep it on

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

hypnophant posted:

I’m in agreement with eke out here. Two grinders is a luxury, but by no means a necessity. Remember you only need to purge when you switch from filter to espresso, and depending on your grinder you don’t need to use much coffee - with the p64 I do literally a pinch of beans, maybe 0.5 grams. I’d love to have two grinders because i’m running out of ways to make my setup even more over the top, but unless you’re literally switching back and forth every day I think you’re better off getting one grinder that costs twice as much.

I mean I honestly find myself switching back and forth pretty often, and the dream is to be able to do either on a whim without remembering where I was for each brewing method. Another reason I was thinking of two grinders was to get some more unimodal flat burrs for lots of clarity in the filter grinder and something with more texture for espresso.

With that said, does anyone have a recommendation for a sub-1000 single dose grinder that would be better for both than a Niche and Ode 2?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Couldn't find anything online saying whether an electric Bellman steamer worked well or not, eBay had a dinged up one for $60 shipped, I'll let y'all goons know how it works! I hope it's not too difficult to get the right pressure for long enough. Nanofoamer 1 isn't bad but it's hard mode and I'd like to try this.

... I'll probably want to check the gaskets and pressure release valve first.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BrianBoitano posted:

Couldn't find anything online saying whether an electric Bellman steamer worked well or not, eBay had a dinged up one for $60 shipped, I'll let y'all goons know how it works! I hope it's not too difficult to get the right pressure for long enough. Nanofoamer 1 isn't bad but it's hard mode and I'd like to try this.

The lithium v2 is a huge step up for the nanofoamer, but there’s also this coming:

Who knows how it will work, but I’ve been impressed with their two nanofoamers.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

nwin posted:

The lithium v2 is a huge step up for the nanofoamer, but there’s also this coming:

There's too many coffee-related KS's this month. I'm also tempted to pick one of these up when it gets put up - my partner would be more inclined to make herself a drink with something like this.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah I saw that. The nanofoamer 1 treated me well and I'm sure that new jug will be near the best in category, but I still want a traditional wand :)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I have been wondering this for a while but in the 4:6 method, how do the first 2 pours determine the sweetness/acidity of the brew? Isn't that just gibberish, or am i missing something? I would think that all that would be based on the beans you use, the extraction of the coffee, and the overall ratio of the brew?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmCW8xSWGZY

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I have been wondering this for a while but in the 4:6 method, how do the first 2 pours determine the sweetness/acidity of the brew? Isn't that just gibberish, or am i missing something? I would think that all that would be based on the beans you use, the extraction of the coffee, and the overall ratio of the brew?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmCW8xSWGZY

Less extracted coffee is more acidic. More extracted coffee is sweeter (until it gets over extracted and bitter/astringent). The 4:6 method relies on soaking coarsely ground coffee with a dose of water, letting some flow through while some sits and extracts from the grounds, then washing that into the cup with the second dose of water. Each pour extracts more from the grounds.

So if you make your very first pour bigger, you are getting more under extracted coffee first thing. If you make your first pour smaller, you get less of that first sour dose.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Not gibberish. It's the kind of difference that takes good coffee to great, so you need the beans, equipment, and consistency to make good coffee before that type of technique will make a difference.

I hope someone can give a great pour-over specific answer, but in general the taste you get out of a bean depends on so many things: temperature, grind size, grind distribution (fines vs mediums vs boulders), contact time, agitation which impact fines migration, how effective the filtration, water content...

That pour scheme probably tries to adjust total contact time, fines migration, and effectiveness of filtration. Those aspects which reduce overall extraction, for light roasts, will lead to a more acidic cup, and increased extraction will lead to a sweeter cup.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

maybe not gibberish but a lot of coffee 'recipes' get very pseudo-scientific with their promises and pourover seems especially prone to this since it's got so many variables.

one thing I appreciate about people like Hoffmann is that they practically never make the more elaborate claims about how micromanagement of one tiny part of the process produces huge changes

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I need a new tamper. Should I get the one from Boicafe or PUSEE?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
First one for sure, way smoother and that barb at the end of the second is just asking for trouble.

You could check if boipusee makes one too.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Reposting this Normcore tamper for the 5th time. It's really good.

Normcore 58.5mm Coffee Tamper V4 - Spring-loaded Tamper with 15lb / 25lb / 30lbs Replacement Springs - Anodized Aluminum Handle and Stand - Stainless Steel Flat Base https://a.co/d/i2phr2y

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

i own every Bionicle posted:

I have the 54mm version of the boicafe. For some reason it was fire saled on Amazon at like $3. It’s pretty flat and works pretty well. Not incredible but happy for the price.

The wooden stand it comes with sucks though. It’s unfinished and keeps expanding and contracting so the tamper often has to be shoved it.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Miss Silvia has arrived and I have already almost destroyed it, the df64, and my stomach.

Small stupid newbie questions:
- The manual states that I should not use the brush on the shower, however, how do I remove particles from the shower if running water from the group head and flushing with a blind basket to not remove said particles? It looks like coffee grounds.
- While espresso detergent is on its way, am I doing anything wrong by still doing a daily flush with the blind basket?
- Keeping brew time and weight fixed at 30 s and 16 g, I get 32, 31, and 67 mL at grind settings of 10, 11, and 15. Does that point to channeling? I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the pucks.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

Miss Silvia has arrived and I have already almost destroyed it, the df64, and my stomach.

- The manual states that I should not use the brush on the shower, however, how do I remove particles from the shower if running water from the group head and flushing with a blind basket to not remove said particles? It looks like coffee grounds.
- While espresso detergent is on its way, am I doing anything wrong by still doing a daily flush with the blind basket?
- Keeping brew time and weight fixed at 30 s and 16 g, I get 32, 31, and 67 mL at grind settings of 10, 11, and 15. Does that point to channeling? I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the pucks.

Don’t measure your out by mL, measure your out in weight in grams. While gram:mL is 1:1 with water, it’s not with coffee solids/creama in the water.

At 16g beans in, you should be aiming to get out somewhere between 32g-48g out into the cup, which it sounds like you are near that. It doesn’t sound like you’re channeling, but you can’t really diagnose channeling fully with weight or volume.

The 32/31ml variation is likely down to puck prep. Until you get more practice and have all the tools to have very consistent puck prep (Wdt, rdt, tamper technique, your grinder is seasoned well), you’ll probably not be able to get fully consistent shots, even at the same grind setting.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

theHUNGERian posted:

Your puck shouldn't be contacting the screen enough to embed grounds in it; if it is, dose less. Whatever grounds are still there after a flush with water should wipe away easily with a towel. There is zero reason to backflush the machine daily, with or without detergent; at most I'd do it weekly. Many people only do it monthly, or even quarterly along with their descaling. It takes a great number of shots for enough coffee oils to accumulate behind the screen that they might start to influence flavor, or flow.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Cool, thanks.

The mL values for the liquid in cup were actually mg values. Apologies drunk posting, but I am celebrating. :AmericanCitizenship:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Alucard posted:

First one for sure, way smoother and that barb at the end of the second is just asking for trouble.

:five:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Now that I have a df64 I tried it out with my moka pot (I have been using an Encore until now), and oh man ...

What contraption have I been drinking these last two years??? Bye-bye Encore.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

hosed it up within 15 minutes of plugging it in :toot:

Instructions said to run 2 Tbsp of vinegar with some water to descale. That may not be gentle enough for a decades old device, in retrospect :suicide:

E: seller looked at the images they took before selling and admitted there was already a crack there, full refund :confuoot:

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 6, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I would guess that it was already a bit broken when you bought it. That's not going to be acidic enough to corrode and break like that unless it's already been compromised from being old AF.

I was hoping your experiment with it worked, just for the cool factor.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dirty shower screen goon: after you get the right sized basket for your dose I would also look into a puck screen, for me it 100% eliminated any grounds on the screen. I don't see a single thing now when I backflush after pulling a shot.

i own every Bionicle posted:

I would PM the vendor and ask them what diameter this tamp is because how are you supposed to know if it's not written 4 times?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

That's what happens when a heating element doesn't have water surrounding it to absorb the heat and pass it into the boiler walls aka. somebody ran it dry. I see it on Silvias more frequently then you'd think.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah. I'm looking at one more listing of an electric one, ironically that is missing some of the parts that are working fine on my lemon one. I'm asking seller for good photos of the element though first, and if it doesn't work out then I'll get a stovetop one!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I've gone a year and a half with just accepting that my electric grinder makes a poo poo ton of mess up until now. Who thought a couple of drops of water in the beans would make such an improvement. My life is measurably better thanks to this bit of knowledge. Coffee rules.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have a coffee subscription they like for espresso, light roast single origin preferably? I’ve been using trade, but they’ve started sending me 10oz bags periodically without telling me which messes up the number of days I have per bag. Doesn’t make sense for a subscription service to have inconsistent quantity. I use the same amount of coffee every day, stop messing with me! Tired of it so I’m canceling.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Alucard posted:

This was the kind of answer I wanted but Bandire sold me on a Normcore. Ordered!

Also I wound up getting an Ode2 and a DF64P. The big issues with the DF64 all seem to be taken care of on the DF64P and DF64E, with the only drawback being it doesn’t do filter anymore, so it compliments the Ode2 pretty well. There also seems like there are quite a few new 64mm flat burrs out there as upgrades to play with later.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sweeper posted:

Anyone have a coffee subscription they like for espresso, light roast single origin preferably? I’ve been using trade, but they’ve started sending me 10oz bags periodically without telling me which messes up the number of days I have per bag. Doesn’t make sense for a subscription service to have inconsistent quantity. I use the same amount of coffee every day, stop messing with me! Tired of it so I’m canceling.

I've been using Atlas and it's been aight. Fair amount of options per month based on what you're looking for.

https://atlas.coffee/SHARE-77HDM REFERRAL

https://atlascoffeeclub.com/ NON REFERRAL

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yearly reminder to check yo beans before grinding

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

BlackMK4 posted:

Yearly reminder to check yo beans before grinding

Tasting notes: Sharp with a slightly metallic finish.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Sweeper posted:

I’ve been buying 3 bags at a time from the codes goon and been quite happy.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3594506

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Sweeper posted:

I've been using Bottomless for years and are very happy with them; looks like they have a pretty solid selection of light roast, single origin options. Once they learn your drinking habits they'll make sure you've always got beans on hand.

This isn't why I'm recommending them, but if you use my referral link we both get a free bag: https://www.bottomless.com/referral/xgirx83o

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

good timing and thank you for the links. Found out yesterday that the local roaster I liked a lot closed, and the nearest one worth a drat is a 45 minute drive into the city. Delivery beans from here on out, I guess

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

good timing and thank you for the links. Found out yesterday that the local roaster I liked a lot closed, and the nearest one worth a drat is a 45 minute drive into the city. Delivery beans from here on out, I guess

I've been enjoying delivery a lot over the local roaster. You can get significant variety if that's your bag, vs kind of just the same poo poo over and over from a local. Plus the option to grab from different places is super nice.

BTW for the thread, if any of you have a Passport Corporate account, in mine at least I have an Onyx discount at 20%. It brings most of their prices in line with more normal roasters, and I will say all 3 bags I ordered from them were loving excellent.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

nwin posted:

Kickstarter for this is up for anyone interested.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/subminimal/nanofoamer-pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

As everyone assumed, there's a lot wrong with the "pods are better for the environment than drip coffee!" study that made headlines a bit ago

https://youtu.be/i8B8wDsORz4

I'm sure there have been other critiques but I'm glad Hoffmann is getting the message out. He's a great communicator.