Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You can infinitely dash through levels by following the rythm of the beat.

But otherwise, yes, I don't really like the speed chai moves through levels either and had no interest in replaying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I'm tapping out on Hi Fi Rush on level 4 because the levels are just not good imo. Maybe it gets better on level 5 but I'm just not enjoying it and when I'm away I don't feel the need to come back to play.

Main complaint is that my man Chai moves too slow through these long endless hallways. The platforming is just not good, puzzles are kind of annoying. Traveling through the level should be way more fun... The dash and the double jump don't "feel" good to me.
I'm no game designer but I don't remember Bayonetta feeling like this.

It's weird because everything else is A+. I just did not enjoy the level design. Combat is ok. I didn't really love the rhythm combat system, for me it adds an extra layer of anxiety and instead of putting me in the zone like DMC did, I'm like "Ahhhh gotta hit that beat, do I punch now or ???" but it's alright, I appreciate them trying something new.

The animation and style is incredibly good, looks amazing and it's worth checking out for that alone. Story is fine, funny dialogue sometimes. Voice actors are wonderful.

The game talks about having an amazing licensed soundtrack, but I constantly wondered where it was. I mean a couple NIN songs showed up, which was... nice? But traveling through the levels, it was always some rando original OST, which wasn't bad but I kept checking if I had enabled streamer mode... For a music based game, I expected a lot more. I think even Guardians of the Galaxy had a lot more licensed, famous songs.

Anyway, can't miss trying it for free on GamePass, maybe you'll enjoy it, I definitely did not go crazy for it but I appreciate the effort

Entirely agree, no notes.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
HiFi Rush is cool but I think I had the wrong idea going into it. I thought it would be like jet set radio or sunset overdrive with a transversal mechanic and was disappointed to find that wasn't the case. I think I would like it if I had the correct expectations but I bounced off of it because of that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I enjoyed hi fi rush but after a point I didn’t feel any urge to come back to it. The art and design is quality stuff though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

There’s about a dozen licensed songs, they show up during boss battles and a few major setpieces, they are all used incredibly well.
I was struggling to stay on-beat at first but by the end of the game I was consistently getting A or better

10/10 game imo

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Hi-Fi Rush rules but I'm a sicko for these types of games

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the part where invaders must die plays is an all-time great gaming moment

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I haven’t finished the game so my opinion could change on this, but the setpiece boss battles in Hi Fi Rush are inventive and a lot of fun. I thought the Korsica battle in particular was really brilliant.

That said, the game definitely feels like a $30 double-A game, but personally that’s exactly the vibe I was wanting right now.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

the bit when whirring kicks is in an all-time great game moment

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Whoa Wo Long is on gamepass

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I don't like souls-games but I'll try this one out anyway, probably delete it after an hour.

But we'll see, downloading it while at work so I'll try it out tonight.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Did the first two levels in Wo Long and it seems pretty sweet. I kinda bounced off the Nioh games, not totally sure why, but everything felt really smooth with this. I was getting away with some pretty silly levels of button mashing, we'll see how hard it actually gets.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

The Illusive Man posted:

I haven’t finished the game so my opinion could change on this, but the setpiece boss battles in Hi Fi Rush are inventive and a lot of fun. I thought the Korsica battle in particular was really brilliant.

That said, the game definitely feels like a $30 double-A game, but personally that’s exactly the vibe I was wanting right now.

Yeah I really liked the boss battles too. Favourites were Heka, the marketing woman whose name I've forgotten, and of course the last boss too. YOU ARE THE PERFECT DRUG

Wasn't a fan of the Roquefort battle though; how many times did he heal to full? Four? Five? Reminded me of the old WoW raiding days when they'd escalated damage so much they were running out of 64-bit integer space for boss health, and had to start doing that sort of "heal to full" trickery

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Dear people with multiple Xboxes/kids:

So with the recent Verizon sale, I bought an Xbox Series S. I have my series X downstairs hooked up to a 1440p monitor. This is where I do all of my gaming. I'll be putting this series s on the 4k living room TV so my kids can play all their games. I need them to have access to my game library and gamepass on it with their accounts.

Do I just log in with my account and set that as my home console when I first set it up and Microsoft takes care of everything?

Can I move over the external hard drive from my series X to their console because it's mostly full of their games?

Are there other things I need to consider that I haven't thought of?

Edit bonus questions: am I being stupid wanting my series x where I play games even though it's 1440p and the living room is 4k? It's a 165hz gaming IPS monitor and I just want things to run the smoothest. Should I just try it out and see how it is? World it be easy to switch my "home" Xbox later? It's series s that much worse at 1440p that I'll notice?

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 3, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RodShaft posted:

Can I move over the external hard drive from my series X to their console because it's mostly full of their games?

you might need to re-download some stuff for the s since i think it uses lower-res textures for some games. anything backwards compatible that is series x enhanced for instance. not really sure exactly how it works but i don't think it'll be seamless

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
Cheerily booted up my XSX this morning to start Wo Long after diligently preloading it…. 44 GB update required? And it didn’t automatically download it even though I have automatic updates on?? :negative:

TenTwelveTwelve
Oct 12, 2012
I've never had a game update while in rest mode. I have automatic updates on, but it only ever starts the process once I turn on the console.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

you might need to re-download some stuff for the s since i think it uses lower-res textures for some games. anything backwards compatible that is series x enhanced for instance. not really sure exactly how it works but i don't think it'll be seamless

I just wanted to make sure it would work. On the switch you can't move an SD card to another switch and play the games. You have to redownload them all.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Wo Long is fun so far, but man that first boss is loving brutal. I can reliably get through phase one now after an hour or so of trying, but I can barely even make a dent in phase two.

Feels kinda like in Elden Ring where you finish the tutorial, here you have to defeat the Tree Sentinel to progress at all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah like it'll definitely work but it'll probably start doing lots of "Updates" (aka redownloading the entire game)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

webmeister posted:

Wo Long is fun so far, but man that first boss is loving brutal. I can reliably get through phase one now after an hour or so of trying, but I can barely even make a dent in phase two.

Feels kinda like in Elden Ring where you finish the tutorial, here you have to defeat the Tree Sentinel to progress at all.

Focus on countering red moves. Like Sekiro it is more about breaking enemies snd then doing a finisher

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I like when games with somewhat complicated mechanics have a big skill check at the start. The "no, you really need to understand what you're doing before you move on" boss. Too many times someone playing a game will do something an unintended way that actually works and then they'll just keep doing that the rest of the game and end up hosed because they never really learned how the game plays.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Boy of Joy posted:

Cheerily booted up my XSX this morning to start Wo Long after diligently preloading it…. 44 GB update required? And it didn’t automatically download it even though I have automatic updates on?? :negative:

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

webmeister posted:

As said, parry the red attacks. You should have time to follow up with your heavy attack as well, which I believe will also help drain the spirit meter of the boss. I'm pretty sure if you're thinking you can't parry one, you can interrupt the red attacks with magic, too, but while that might save you in the short term it ultimately hurts you because doing a parry on the red's makes the biggest difference in pushing the momentum in your favor.

Martial arts break through guard. End an attack string with one. Not for damage, but to keep up your offensive. They cost spirit so don't spam them.

The boss has like no poise in his first phase. Stay on top of him, occasionally break through his guard to keep going. I wouldn't waste time doing deflect on his normal attacks though. If you dodge through one and get a deflect cool, but the pay off versus the risk doesn't seem worth it to me when he's so easy to pre occupy with your attacks.

Be mindful that he can pop that red attack even when you're beating on him, and that its kinda random when he'll throw it period. If he decides to spam it back to back just be aware that's a thing he'll sometimes do.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wo Long has a debilitating lack of goofy decapitations. What is this? Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hatty posted:

Wo Long has a debilitating lack of goofy decapitations. What is this? Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2?

Koei Tecmo is a Japanese company and the console age ratings board in Japan (CERO) forbids decapitations outright in almost all (possibly even all) situations, even in the Adults-Only equivalent rating. Some games will have multiple SKUs to account for this (e.g. most Resident Evil games have two differently-censored versions for Japan with different age classifications) but this is technically complicated and I think most smaller publishers avoid this outright.

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 3, 2023

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

hatty posted:

Maybe that's why this perk just got added to game pass.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1631674289073319936?s=20

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Wo long pissing me off just like nioh did. Why would you copy sekiro parrying and have dodge use a double tap, canceling the parry?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Wo long pissing me off just like nioh did. Why would you copy sekiro parrying and have dodge use a double tap, canceling the parry?

Stop mashing buttons and this is no longer a problem.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

TenTwelveTwelve posted:

I've never had a game update while in rest mode. I have automatic updates on, but it only ever starts the process once I turn on the console.

I’ve had a Hi-Fi Rush update sitting in “Manage Updates” for days now. Is it waiting for me to launch the game? lmao

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ZeeBoi posted:

I’ve had a Hi-Fi Rush update sitting in “Manage Updates” for days now. Is it waiting for me to launch the game? lmao
Xbox automatically updates games unless you haven’t played that game in a while, in which case it will notify you that a game has an update available (the manage updates tab) and you can choose to manually update it. Hence the word manage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

It is literally to make you time it instead of mashing the button nonstop

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

the same reason why mashing the block button in sekiro shrinks your window for deflecting

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
what drive me nuts during wo long’s first demo is that missing the parry didn’t just make you take the hit, it also hosed up your positioning. at least sekiro let you keep your feet planted

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

what drive me nuts during wo long’s first demo is that missing the parry didn’t just make you take the hit, it also hosed up your positioning. at least sekiro let you keep your feet planted

press the parry button while standing still

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I may need to learn more of the mechanics, but early in Wo Long I wasn't seeing a way to cancel out of really slow attacks. So fast attacking weapons immediately made enemies way easier, much less risk of overcommitment when spamming attacks between parries.

Also I got a piece of armor with the Inheritance quality, which lets you freely upgrade that item to the highest level of any of your equipped gear. That seems kinda OP while progressing, like if I find a bunch of pieces with that I can just only worry about upgrading my weapon and not really think about the rest.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Augus posted:

the same reason why mashing the block button in sekiro shrinks your window for deflecting

In my memory, the timing in sekiro made more sense. It felt like I messed up if I didn't deflect right, not that I was cheated by goofy animation.

Regardless, got past that boss by going backwards and grinding a bit, some levels and coming in at higher morale made it easier.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

BurningBeard posted:

As said, parry the red attacks. You should have time to follow up with your heavy attack as well, which I believe will also help drain the spirit meter of the boss. I'm pretty sure if you're thinking you can't parry one, you can interrupt the red attacks with magic, too, but while that might save you in the short term it ultimately hurts you because doing a parry on the red's makes the biggest difference in pushing the momentum in your favor.

Martial arts break through guard. End an attack string with one. Not for damage, but to keep up your offensive. They cost spirit so don't spam them.

The boss has like no poise in his first phase. Stay on top of him, occasionally break through his guard to keep going. I wouldn't waste time doing deflect on his normal attacks though. If you dodge through one and get a deflect cool, but the pay off versus the risk doesn't seem worth it to me when he's so easy to pre occupy with your attacks.

Be mindful that he can pop that red attack even when you're beating on him, and that its kinda random when he'll throw it period. If he decides to spam it back to back just be aware that's a thing he'll sometimes do.

Yeah look this is all fine, and I’m already doing most of those things. I actually even parry the non-crit swipe attacks, because you can immediately do a heavy attack that breaks his sequence. I can usually get through the first phase with not much drama (aside from the random times when your idiot companion lands a hit while he’s mid-swing and it completely fucks your timing).

It’s really the second phase I’m struggling with. He does that double-swipe which I can parry some of the time but not always, I find the timing much trickier, but the shooting rock pillars attack I can’t dodge quick enough. And that one where he pulls you in and tosses you across the field does like 90% health damage, even at level 4 and using the earth buff for reduced damage taken.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
You can parry the spikes coming out of the ground, and parrying the grab attack is probably the single most important parry because it will make him very easy to posture break. I think I grinded to level six or seven and came back with 18 morale when I beat him. The demon dog is good to grind and also drops good gear every time you kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

webmeister posted:

Yeah look this is all fine, and I’m already doing most of those things. I actually even parry the non-crit swipe attacks, because you can immediately do a heavy attack that breaks his sequence. I can usually get through the first phase with not much drama (aside from the random times when your idiot companion lands a hit while he’s mid-swing and it completely fucks your timing).

It’s really the second phase I’m struggling with. He does that double-swipe which I can parry some of the time but not always, I find the timing much trickier, but the shooting rock pillars attack I can’t dodge quick enough. And that one where he pulls you in and tosses you across the field does like 90% health damage, even at level 4 and using the earth buff for reduced damage taken.
I dunno if you're not getting far enough in phase 2, but that fight introduces the Divine Beast mechanic. when that gauge fills up and you get to use the divine beast attack the first time it just instantly ends the fight with a cutscene.