Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Long time destiny player. Not played for six months. Worth coming back for / buying lightfall? I presume yes but I got a bit bored of farming shards etc and found seasonal activities a bit meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Is it possible to solo the end of "Breakaway" on Legendary do you reckon?

You can, I did, it's suck incarnate.

E: actually that one isn't too bad I guess, I got the missions mixed up, but it's not bad leg solo tbh. Just more spongy boldly l bullshit. At least the tormentors are a nice change of pace

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 3, 2023

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Mill Village posted:

Activision didn’t own Bungie.

Depends on how you mean “own” lol

For example, Activision owned Bungie is a true statement, from a certain point of view

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

CottonWolf posted:

Some people in here have, so I guess so. I’m soloing the campaign too, but I’ve not got that far yet.

Let me know how you go with it. It seems really loving dumb to me but I've only just started playing Destiny so I dunno if you're supposed to group up for these missions or not.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

Aqua Dracula posted:

It seems like they saw people's positive reaction to Splicer and decided to lean in to it without any idea how to actually do so. Take the Moon weapon reskins that they used as the Neomuna weapons - they just added some fluorescent swirlies on them, they don't look cyberpunk at all, I can think of about a dozen things they could have done that would have been the same amount of work but actually fit the theme.

The obvious idea is to have regular, empty and mundane Neomuna and then Cyber Neomuna, with the campaign taking the player in between the two. I'd speculate that this was probably the intent but it got cut along with 2/3s of the story.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Let me know how you go with it. It seems really loving dumb to me but I've only just started playing Destiny so I dunno if you're supposed to group up for these missions or not.

The legendary campaign is assuming you have somewhat optimal weapons, build, and game plan. Trying it as a new player seems impossible.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Quizzlefish posted:

Long time destiny player. Not played for six months. Worth coming back for / buying lightfall? I presume yes but I got a bit bored of farming shards etc and found seasonal activities a bit meh.

As it stands now the seasonal stuff is the only worthwhile part. Strand is interesting but underwhelming, the guns are all reskins with like, 3 new good perks (hatchling, volitile firefly and angry assassin) and we don’t know if the raid will be Beyond-light style good enough to salvage a bad campaign.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah legendary mode assumes you are matching shield elements and are supported by a good mod loadout (at least for the parts where it isn’t forcing you to use a different subclass). Trying to go through it with just the first few drops you got in your Destiny career is way harder than intended, and it’s intended to be really hard

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

haveblue posted:

Yeah legendary mode assumes you are matching shield elements and are supported by a good mod loadout (at least for the parts where it isn’t forcing you to use a different subclass). Trying to go through it with just the first few drops you got in your Destiny career is way harder than intended, and it’s intended to be really hard

The forced strand parts were the most difficult for me as I couldn't just endlessly punch my way out of things.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Well I just managed to beat it. My advice is: don't get oneshot and bring a precision heavy weapon.

I must be getting better at the game because this mission was much dumber than the last one and it took me much less time to complete.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

haveblue posted:

And you can always go back and do it on legendary later when you have more equipment/experience. Doing it on normal doesn't prevent you from doing it again on legendary later and getting the legendary difficulty rewards.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I beat the campaign on legendary, my review of lightfall is that the campaign is fun, but a boring and bad story and bad characters really drag it down. The music is some of the best they have ever done.

I can’t tell what the sandbox changes are cause it feels like all the balance changes are bugged or some of them are? The mobs will be HP sponges but then it stops sometimes and I really don’t know what they are supposed to be.

I hate the ability changes, while I agree it was getting out of hand, this feels like launch D2 again and it feels terrible.

Strand feels terrible to use and giving up a grenade for a garbage grapple feels like a net negative.

Grapple should be a default part of the strand kit and grenades separate, like strand feels ruined because of pvp and it feels really bad to use after the campaign.

I cannot cover how disappointed I am after unlocking strand after the campaign. It feels like the worst subclass by a mile.

Ability cooldown changes have to be reverted, what a terrible change, absolutely terrible.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Finished the (normal) campaign last night. Just felt.. short compared to WQ (which is the only other one I've done). In both your triumph is yanked out from under you, so that didn't bother me too much. I don't really get the furor over not knowing what the Veil is; it seems like there's a fuckton of things in Destiny that are poorly explained, at best.

Calus was hard because of bullshit reasons. On normal he hits like a feather; I think I died like 6 times due to knockbacks or grapple charge failures. Do both Tormentors come out at once on Legendary? On normal they're tied to Calus' health, it looks like, so it's easy to just handle one at a time.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I get why they focused on the grapple when advertising strand but...I'm not sure it's the best way to go for most builds. Threadling grenade just seems way better for Strand Warlocks (love creating an endless array of little buddies), for example. Also the alternative grenade options are pretty cheap (50 doodads) so I suggest grabbing them ASAP.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I still feel the best thing they did was change the scripting engine or whatever that allows them to spawn real mobs in instead of 3 ads and a captain type. Watching 20+ vex warp in for the first time had me like "oh poo poo".

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Hypnobeard posted:

Finished the (normal) campaign last night. Just felt.. short compared to WQ (which is the only other one I've done). In both your triumph is yanked out from under you, so that didn't bother me too much. I don't really get the furor over not knowing what the Veil is; it seems like there's a fuckton of things in Destiny that are poorly explained, at best.

Calus was hard because of bullshit reasons. On normal he hits like a feather; I think I died like 6 times due to knockbacks or grapple charge failures. Do both Tormentors come out at once on Legendary? On normal they're tied to Calus' health, it looks like, so it's easy to just handle one at a time.

They work the same on legendary

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hypnobeard posted:

Do both Tormentors come out at once on Legendary? On normal they're tied to Calus' health, it looks like, so it's easy to just handle one at a time.

Legendary is the same as normal, each comes out at a different point

But they both despawn on the phase change and can't keep up with you if you're constantly grappling around the arena, so ignoring them is a valid strategy. They do make it harder to strand-melee Calus though

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Hypnobeard posted:

The funny thing is that just before launch the thread thought they were wrapping up too many loose threads.

quote:

The tormentors work the same way on Legendary. The big difference is that Calus' attacks can sometimes 1 shot you, even with 100 resilience and a solar resist mod equipped. And the adds are just beefy enough that you can't just instantly destroy/ignore them; the major tier incinerators will blast you off the edge like a TF2 pyro if you get too close.

I was able to figure out a good strategy to solo it on legendary. I camped out on one of the outlying platforms and used the computer banks as cover. They block Calus' direct shots and he's tall enough that you could plink at his head from behind them. I'd jump up to the catwalks to avoid the orbital death lasers. I used witherhorde and a scout rifle on Calus, and a machine gun for tormentors and any adds that got too close. Saved my supers for the tormentor spawns as well.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Question from a bad player: does the seasonal activity actually scale your power level up? Did it last night after running the opener and got through the first section no problem, but by the giant taken servitor thing, all three of us were just exploding instantly on respawn. I built an arc setup right before it so I'd have something to deal with both champions, so my gear was all 1600, but I thought it said it jumped you to 1750 or whatever. Or do you just explode that quickly when - powerlevel? I ended up slotting in 3x void suppression on the chest and got through it with only a few more deaths and then we beat the last encounter in one shot, but there was a shocking # of deaths from the 3 of us in it.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
have any sickos ground out all of the strand fragments and done the exotic quest yet? going to laugh very hard if that quest, which would have been time gated after raid world first, ends up spoiling some of the story

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

I get why they focused on the grapple when advertising strand but...I'm not sure it's the best way to go for most builds. Threadling grenade just seems way better for Strand Warlocks (love creating an endless array of little buddies), for example. Also the alternative grenade options are pretty cheap (50 doodads) so I suggest grabbing them ASAP.
Grapple melee is pretty powerful and I'm going to assume there's a lot of potential there. Even on a threeadling build, your grapple melee spawns threadlings, and you can get a free grapple any time you have a tangle.

abraham linksys posted:

have any sickos ground out all of the strand fragments and done the exotic quest yet? going to laugh very hard if that quest, which would have been time gated after raid world first, ends up spoiling some of the story
Nothing spoiled. It's pretty much your character going "you know what would be cool? A strand gun." - it's a pretty minor exotic quest (no voice acting or unique mission like the LMG) but the sidearm seems cool.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kalli posted:

Question from a bad player: does the seasonal activity actually scale your power level up?

I don't think any of the power capped activities scale you *up*, they just scale you *down* if you outlevel them. So if you go in too low you still get your rear end kicked, but you can't level up enough to make them as easy as pre-LF content was

IIRC only the haunted leviathan last year actually assigned you a fixed power level that would bring you up if you were too low, everything else worked as above

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Kalli posted:

Question from a bad player: does the seasonal activity actually scale your power level up? Did it last night after running the opener and got through the first section no problem, but by the giant taken servitor thing, all three of us were just exploding instantly on respawn. I built an arc setup right before it so I'd have something to deal with both champions, so my gear was all 1600, but I thought it said it jumped you to 1750 or whatever. Or do you just explode that quickly when - powerlevel? I ended up slotting in 3x void suppression on the chest and got through it with only a few more deaths and then we beat the last encounter in one shot, but there was a shocking # of deaths from the 3 of us in it.

i had some really weird issues with this a couple nights ago as well! i was around 1758 and having an ok time but my friends weren't and they were having a miserable time (we got through the servitor but lmao the actual boss with a darkness zone)

the season activity does straight up say "this will bump your power level to 1760" but yeah i have no idea if it actually is

haveblue posted:

I don't think any of the power capped activities scale you *up*, they just scale you *down* if you outlevel them. So if you go in too low you still get your rear end kicked, but you can't level up enough to make them as easy as pre-LF content was

IIRC only the haunted leviathan last year actually assigned you a fixed power level that would bring you up if you were too low, everything else worked as above

the seasonal activity this season has the same label the haunted leviathan did

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What do you mean? I don't see anything about power adjustment on the defiant battlegrounds.

It has the same "Hero Modifiers" that Seraph did that places all enemies 5 over you.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

What do you mean? I don't see anything about power adjustment on the defiant battlegrounds.

are you over 1760? the label doesn't show up in that case

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I guess that's it then.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

ponzicar posted:

The funny thing is that just before launch the thread thought they were wrapping up too many loose threads.

I honestly just assumed "well, we don't really know wtf" was kinda part of the experience. You don't get answers to all this cosmic level poo poo, just go punch some gods and have Eris squish them into equipment.

ponzicar posted:

The tormentors work the same way on Legendary. The big difference is that Calus' attacks can sometimes 1 shot you, even with 100 resilience and a solar resist mod equipped. And the adds are just beefy enough that you can't just instantly destroy/ignore them; the major tier incinerators will blast you off the edge like a TF2 pyro if you get too close.

I was able to figure out a good strategy to solo it on legendary. I camped out on one of the outlying platforms and used the computer banks as cover. They block Calus' direct shots and he's tall enough that you could plink at his head from behind them. I'd jump up to the catwalks to avoid the orbital death lasers. I used witherhorde and a scout rifle on Calus, and a machine gun for tormentors and any adds that got too close. Saved my supers for the tormentor spawns as well.

I think in my last couple of attempts I more or less ignored the outlying platforms completely. It was pretty easy to avoid stray shots from them, they don't move into the middle once they're out there, and it just left the 2-4 psions + war beasts that periodically showed up and the tormentors to manage. Given the beef-up to Calus for Legendary I'm sure that's not doable on that difficulty, though.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Reminder that Xur Loot is at or near your overall level

You may be able to patch up a lagging Slot Level in your helmet or arms (depending on class) as well as the energy slot (trinity ghoul) and the kinetic slot (Hawk or DMT)

you can also buy the exotic armor piece for your alts to give them a huge power boost

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ah, I didn’t know the label would disappear if it didn’t apply

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Hypnobeard posted:

I honestly just assumed "well, we don't really know wtf" was kinda part of the experience. You don't get answers to all this cosmic level poo poo, just go punch some gods and have Eris squish them into equipment.

i think the main issue with the veil not being explained is at no point does anyone else say "yeah we have no idea what this thing is either sorry"

like it's extremely destiny 1 "why is my player character not asking what the gently caress is going on" rather than later destiny "sorry the answer to this was lost to time." you just needed like one line in there with someone going "all we know is that it powers neomuna, the answers are locked up in ishtar collective's encrypted data vaults" or something (hell i wouldn't be surprised if there is a line like this somewhere in the post-campaign quests)

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

abraham linksys posted:

i think the main issue with the veil not being explained is at no point does anyone else say "yeah we have no idea what this thing is either sorry"

like it's extremely destiny 1 "why is my player character not asking what the gently caress is going on" rather than later destiny "sorry the answer to this was lost to time." you just needed like one line in there with someone going "all we know is that it powers neomuna, the answers are locked up in ishtar collective's encrypted data vaults" or something (hell i wouldn't be surprised if there is a line like this somewhere in the post-campaign quests)

It seems (shocking, I know) that it's just poor storytelling on Bungie's part. They indirectly address that through Osiris--he's all "go go go go" even though no one really knows what's going on, and it ends up biting everyone in the rear end because Calus uses that to bait you into a trap (the Radial mission). After that you get a bunch more exposition where you find out it's a power source, the Vex tried to copy it and ended up with the Black Heart--though I don't remember seeing them be explicit about that point, just the mention that they tried to copy it, yadda yadda yadda: we have to get to it first because Calus/the Witness wants it, and anything they want is something we do not want them to have no matter what it is.

I think the Veil is a Lorentz transformation/discontinuity in spacetime that leads to whatever Ascendant Realm-equivalent the Light maintains. The Traveler is just the Witness' equivalent for the Light, so it's off to the Traveler's Throne World to beat the poo poo out of it for good.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Hypnobeard posted:

I think the Veil is a Lorentz transformation/discontinuity in spacetime that leads to whatever Ascendant Realm-equivalent the Light maintains. The Traveler is just the Witness' equivalent for the Light, so it's off to the Traveler's Throne World to beat the poo poo out of it for good.

a version of the ascendant realm where i have to turn down my monitor's gamma would be interesting

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I'm always surprised that there aren't more portions to the campaign over the seasons. It seems like a no-brainer to split your story up into chunks so you can let it breathe a bit and provide some ongoing story drip to the folks that appreciate that stuff.

Obviously I have no idea how much effort goes into the campaign missions vice other stuff, but I do think people would be less harsh on the story beats if we weren't going to have to wait a year for a significant continuation.

Ah well, poor management rides again.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

I haven’t finished them yet but my understanding is that they pretty much do tell you what it is in the post-campaign stuff, it’s just that Redditors would rather complain than pay attention

in particular the Deterministic Chaos exotic quest is the one that lays it out

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I knew we turned down a throne world, but it would be cool if that were a patrol zone. Something that meshes all the different zones together that we've had over the course of the game.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Azubah posted:

I knew we turned down a throne world, but it would be cool if that were a patrol zone. Something that meshes all the different zones together that we've had over the course of the game.

You will enjoy the final shape!

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Love the seasonal void disruptor rounds on orb pickup just stops working every once in a while

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Finished the LC, for most of it the difficulty was well done with a couple of rough spots, but the last two missions left a very sour taste in my mouth.

What was up with the "grapple onto moving objects!" part? The threshers flying around don't actually take you where you need to go, so doing what the game seems to tell you to try just gets you killed.

Nimbus reminds me a bit of Shazam/Captain Marvel; a child's mind inside a superpowered body.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The artifact is not free to reset I thought this was a thing. Apparently it's a bug, anyone actually getting it free?

Paracelsus posted:

Finished the LC, for most of it the difficulty was well done with a couple of rough spots, but the last two missions left a very sour taste in my mouth.

What was up with the "grapple onto moving objects!" part? The threshers flying around don't actually take you where you need to go, so doing what the game seems to tell you to try just gets you killed.

Nimbus reminds me a bit of Shazam/Captain Marvel; a child's mind inside a superpowered body.

That thresher circling there is a trap, there's platforms off to the side. I did spend the 5 minutes necessary to kill that stupid thing while it circled after it popped me one time while I was on the second platform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You will enjoy the final shape!

Oh you rascally leakreader