Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

genericnick posted:

I don't think that's true about the former soviet union? Maidan worked out brilliantly and the two major components of the old USSR are at war. As plays go that's quite a result. It's really outside western Eurasia where things are starting to break down.

Color revolution works (worked) in Western and orthodox civilizations but no other civilizations. It never worked in Iran and didn't really work out for the west after the Arab Spring. In fact if you count Kyiv belong to the "western civ" portion of the country, color revolution didn't work in Orthodox region either. There was a failed color rev right before the Ukrainian war in Kazakhstan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

good av

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/0...?smid=url-share

Russia? Bad..,

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I don’t know if it is right what was done but that guy was detained and charged with smuggling in cash in July 2022 and then given the prize in October.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 14:46 on Mar 3, 2023

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Obama also won the Nobel Peace Prize while bombing the hell out of weddings, so I assume it's some Orwellian doublespeak.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

looks like he was going for a thrift store general zod look

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

stephenthinkpad posted:

Color revolution works (worked) in Western and orthodox civilizations but no other civilizations. It never worked in Iran and didn't really work out for the west after the Arab Spring. In fact if you count Kyiv belong to the "western civ" portion of the country, color revolution didn't work in Orthodox region either. There was a failed color rev right before the Ukrainian war in Kazakhstan.

Wasn’t Serbia the first Colour Revolution though? And then the Rose Revolution in Georgia?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Frosted Flake posted:

Wasn’t Serbia the first Colour Revolution though? And then the Rose Revolution in Georgia?

Not familiar with those 2 revolutions but I say we should move Huntington's Western/Orthodox borderline to the Dnieper river to reflect the expansion of the Western civ influence.

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010
what happened to the gibbus posters? this thread is more interesting to read when people are arguing

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

what happened to the gibbus posters? this thread is more interesting to read when people are arguing

Maybe they are just taking it easy?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the dialectical process has transformed the hapless gibbisposter into a cspam goodposter or weeded him out as a war crimes technician

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Culminated. Lacks Deep Posting Strategy.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
cspam's industrial shitposting production has revealed the shallowness of the gibbis poop joke posting economy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

speaking of revolutions, do you have a take on the use of artillery in the suppression of civil strife, whether at a theoretical level or historical? I ask in the context of, our visual conception of revolts / riots / uprisings usually comes down to riot police, uniformed soldiers/infantry, and maybe tanks or other armored vehicles, but not artillery

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

The GBS offensive has culminated. They've run out of posts.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

The extent of Western hubris in this conflict is really becoming apparent. Just assuming that Russia can be bullied and sanctioned in the same way as some isolated little state and that the rest of the world will obediently go along with it and disregard their own interests. I've seen so many commentators baffled and exasperated beyond belief that China, India etc aren't following the script that the West has written for them and are doing their own thing instead.

im hoping this leads to a hilarious attempt to color revolution modi

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
They couldn't find any of the scum or villainy they were told would be here, I don't blame them for getting bored so quickly

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I know this thread is all fun and games but never, ever disparage Nod like this again.

Everyone knows Kane would be the guy behind the guy, so he'd be Sergei Markov, or Dugin or something.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Culminated. Lacks Deep Posting Strategy.

Deep Posting Strategy, but not even a second echelon. Amateurs.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

evilmiera posted:

I know this thread is all fun and games but never, ever disparage Nod like this again.

Everyone knows Kane would be the guy behind the guy, so he'd be Sergei Markov, or Dugin or something.

Kane hamming it up for the camera for all the world to see: I'm the secret mastermind!!

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

genericnick posted:

"Keep posting, I'm reloading" :reject:

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Ghost in call of duty had a skull mask and he was awesome.

Maybe we need new and varied skull designs. Our skulls are cool and good, theirs are rotten and foul.

Whoever uses neon green skulls wins.

Found the one I’m going to wear

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

when has an insurgence in America even gotten to the point where artillery was needed. I mean besides the civil war

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

genericnick posted:

neoliberalism has hollowed out gbs' posting base.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

speaking of revolutions, do you have a take on the use of artillery in the suppression of civil strife, whether at a theoretical level or historical? I ask in the context of, our visual conception of revolts / riots / uprisings usually comes down to riot police, uniformed soldiers/infantry, and maybe tanks or other armored vehicles, but not artillery

not an artilleryman, but i think it worked better when guns were generally of the type that shot straight at things within sight rather than indirectly at things some dozens of kilometers away

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

they defected to russia to own cspam

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The color revolution in Kyiv wasn't about east and west.

It was about violence, just like every other time in history.

Yanukovich wasn't ready to fight and kill to hold on to power, the nazis were. They're in charge, he isn't.

Lukashenko actually was a strongman, despite whatever that lying sack of poo poo McFaul says, that's why he crushed the protests and Belarus hasn't fallen into a civil war yet.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

strongman means “didn’t let cia take over country “

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

euphronius posted:

when has an insurgence in America even gotten to the point where artillery was needed. I mean besides the civil war

Artillery was used during the later Indian Wars including Pine Ridge.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Wasn’t Serbia the first Colour Revolution though?

Yes https://nonsite.org/change-agent-gene-sharps-neoliberal-nonviolence-part-one/

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

Well, "a whiff of grapeshot" is traditionally the last recourse of the state, but also the most effective way to disperse a crowd. The issue is that there's not really an offramp after that because one you employ "Ultima Ratio Regum" on the population, you're at war with them, more or less. A war you can win off course, but it means that any other attempt to resolve the dispute is out of the question.

In Canada's rebellions of 1837, the Regulars showing up with a cannon was enough to settle the whole thing. That's true of a lot of 19th century riots and rebellions.

On a larger scale, guns became important both practically and symbolically in India after Sepoys turned their guns on the British during the Mutiny. That allowed them to take the cantonments and the Mutiny spread to whole cities. Guns were required to put down the Mutiny, which was logistically difficult, and led to the creation of railways in India. Mutineers were of course executed by being blown from the guns, which further cemented their place as a symbol of public order. After that, the Artillery in India was always British*.

*Some exceptions apply, see Tankbuster for details

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:55 on Mar 3, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

euphronius posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_MOVE_bombing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Blair_Mountain

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

monograph explaining why executing rebellious sepoys by blowing them up with cannons is actually cool from 1865

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Obama also won the Nobel Peace Prize while bombing the hell out of weddings, so I assume it's some Orwellian doublespeak.

While bombing the hell out of another Nobel Peace Prize winner :eng101:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

mila kunis posted:

Start looking for the "Rohingya people" of India, there are many candidates.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol that I’ve never heard of Blair Mountain .

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Also that bombing in the Watchman show, sorry I can only relate to American history in the content of superhero arcs.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

Start looking for the "Rohingya people" of India, there are many candidates.

there are so so many axes along which you could seriously break apart and gently caress india up as a nation, if someone really wanted to put some time effort and money into it. it would make ukraine look like a picnic

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

mila kunis posted:

modi is the color revolution candidate. The indian middle class psyopped itself into doing that poo poo ever since the Nirbhaya protests. An entire class of cuckolds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

monograph explaining why executing rebellious sepoys by blowing them up with cannons is actually cool from 1865

You read my mind.

I'm trying to think of where I read Gunners' memoirs from the end of the Mutiny. It was, obviously, what we'd recognize today as pretty loving traumatic. I seem to remember the details tasked to it were given extra rum and gin to get through the day.

Obviously more traumatic for the people of India, but I don't think anything can prepare you for blowing someone from a gun.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:58 on Mar 3, 2023