Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Also in that ballpark is the Tofu Jr. which is a very good little 65% made of full aluminum, with external weight, for ~$200:
https://divinikey.com/products/kbdfans-tofu-jr-65-keyboard-kit?variant=40369725308993

And yeah, Boba U4s are truly excellent silent switches. I love my click claks just as much as the next guy, but Boba U4s just feel so nice and are so quiet no one in my meetings can hear me typing with my mic on. Highly recommend them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

speaking of silent switches, i just came across these new-ish ones with an unusual design that doesn't have any silicone/rubber components

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahShvBMoMWk

anyone here tried them?

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Ok, quick check that these are the things I need and everything here plays nicely together.

I decided I can live without a numpad for now, but still all roads led me back to keychron. Sounds like they have garbage support but generally an ok product so I guess I'll take my chances. Looking at the Keychron v3 with knob.

~90 Boba U4 silent switches. I haven't come across how many extras are recommended to get. Not sure what the failure rate out of the box is or if it's better to have spares from the same batch or something.

The regular White on black keycaps from keychron. If I end up liking this thing I'm sure there's more in my future but I'll just start with the basics.

I should probably also throw in a cap puller and a switch puller, yes? And then the board says it comes with stabilizers so I should be alright there for starters?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

i have bought switches for keebs twice and both times i just went ten extra, only had like 3 unusable switches between both batches

not sure if that's the recommended amount but worked for me both times!

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

MerrMan posted:

I should probably also throw in a cap puller and a switch puller, yes?
V3 comes with these in the box I think.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

repiv posted:

speaking of silent switches, i just came across these new-ish ones with an unusual design that doesn't have any silicone/rubber components

anyone here tried them?

Have not tried those, but the fwiw the Gazzews also don't use any silicone or rubber that I'm aware of

MerrMan posted:

The regular White on black keycaps from keychron. If I end up liking this thing I'm sure there's more in my future but I'll just start with the basics.

I'd go with these instead. Extremely similar design and price, but you get to support a better company and the plastic is thicker, which will give your switches an even softer sound.

I think 10 extras is also what I was recommended for a TKL. If you're assembling them yourself maybe add a few more, because if you're doing tactiles you're probably going to gently caress up a decent few.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003

Unsinkabear posted:

I'd go with these instead. Extremely similar design and price, but you get to support a better company and the plastic is thicker, which will give your switches an even softer sound.

Seconded. Divinikey stocks these in the US.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

Have not tried those, but the fwiw the Gazzews also don't use any silicone or rubber that I'm aware of

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Weird! Are you sure that's not an old design? I found a couple articles mentioning that, but both seemed old and neither of them were dated. There's a looooooot about this hobby I don't know, so I don't want to make any sweeping know-it-all statements. All I know for sure is that I assembled both my bobagums and my U4s and they definitely don't have those dampeners in them, Gazzew never mentioned them, his Reddit doesn't have them as a purchasable part, and they're not for sale anywhere like Kirball's DIY section either.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
What tactile switches are popular these days? I liked retooled browns and topre 45g. Looking to get some switches for a macropad.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

Weird! Are you sure that's not an old design? I found a couple articles mentioning that, but both seemed old and neither of them were dated. There's a looooooot about this hobby I don't know, so I don't want to make any sweeping know-it-all statements. All I know for sure is that I assembled both my bobagums and my U4s and they definitely don't have those dampeners in them, Gazzew never mentioned them, his Reddit doesn't have them as a purchasable part, and they're not for sale anywhere like Kirball's DIY section either.

i think the stem+dampener assembly is considered one component if you're buying the parts individually, they're just separated in that image for demonstration

i'm pretty sure all silent and semi-silent gazzew switches still use dampeners, it would be a significant departure to get rid of them while keeping the same product name :iiam:

this is how they look when assembled, on the left

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 3, 2023

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I've had MX Brown switches in three keyboards now, two coolermaster masterkeys and one ducky one 2 tkl, and while they're "the same switches", the ducky one 2 feels a lot better to type on, so YMMV I guess?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

repiv posted:

i think the stem+dampener assembly is considered one component if you're buying the parts individually, they're just separated in that image for demonstration

i'm pretty sure all silent and semi-silent gazzew switches still use dampeners, it would be a significant departure to get rid of them while keeping the same product name :iiam:

this is how they look when assembled, on the left

I really had a switch opener because I just put together thirty bobagums last week, and I swear not one of them had that. It's not impossible that my ADHD rear end just glanced at it and thought it was plastic, though.

mewse
May 2, 2006

repiv posted:

Yeah the silent stems have always had dampeners

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

repiv posted:

anyone here tried them?

I got a Haimu Heartbeat in a sample pack I ordered and it works as advertised. It was quieter and felt less mushy then the Bobagum I tested side by side.
Take my opinion with a grain of salt since I only tested out a single key and the experience could be completely different on a full board. They seem to sell out as soon as shops get any stock if that's any indication of their quality hype.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

maybe i'll give them a try

there's also the "skyloong glacier silents" which appear to have the same stem design, possibly the same OEM, but they're more available and have a few choices of spring weight

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Thanks for the help, everyone. Placed my order for switches / barebones / caps this morning. Now comes that actual hard part - the waiting.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

and for people who want to spend too much on GMMK sets, one of the best sets ever pre order just went live.

https://novelkeys.com/products/gmk-cubed

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

read the description where it describes it as nostalgic and my immediate thought was “the gamecube isn’t that old” until i remembered it was 20 years ago

:negative:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

repiv posted:

maybe i'll give them a try

there's also the "skyloong glacier silents" which appear to have the same stem design, possibly the same OEM, but they're more available and have a few choices of spring weight

If you give either of these a try, please post your thoughts! I'm very curious

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

LionArcher posted:

and for people who want to spend too much on GMMK sets, one of the best sets ever pre order just went live.

https://novelkeys.com/products/gmk-cubed
I'd have probably bought it immediately if it fit my Race3. On hindsight, in years of doing this, I never did find a good set that fits the Race3. I saw one or two on Massdrop that I could have made fit (one even had specific modifiers for it), but they'd have been well north of $300 USD lol. Also I don't remember them being particularly attractive.

This keyboard has been "my main" at home though forever, and fortunately the default caps are great. The box also came with Windows/Mac modifiers and some accent colours.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

not even vortex puts the weird sized escape and delete keys on their newer designs anymore, that's so niche that it's no surprise that keycaps are impossible to come by

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a 60% mechanical keyboard, that is wireless, but has some way to enable a numpad temporarily, and as a bonus has rgb?

Ideally I'd be looking for $100 or less ($150 tops), I'm not really picky about what kind of switches it has, other than it sounding like a mechanical keyboard. The louder and more like a typewriter the better, but I don't have any particular sound preference.

like this looks nice:
https://steelseries.com/gaming-keyboards/apex-pro-mini-wireless

But it doesn't seem to have the numpad thing which is a dealbreaker, also it's a bit too expensive.

Oh, usb-c charging would be rad. I hate swapping out batteries.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 4, 2023

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a 60% mechanical keyboard, that is wireless, but has some way to enable a numpad temporarily, and as a bonus has rgb?

Ideally I'd be looking for $100 or less ($150 tops), I'm not really picky about what kind of switches it has, other than it sounding like a mechanical keyboard. The louder and more like a typewriter the better, but I don't have any particular sound preference.

like this looks nice:
https://steelseries.com/gaming-keyboards/apex-pro-mini-wireless

But it doesn't seem to have the numpad thing which is a dealbreaker, also it's a bit too expensive.

Oh, usb-c charging would be rad. I hate swapping out batteries.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=9218

This is a 65% but close? They may have one that was 60% in this line as well, in fact I"m pretty sure they do. No RBG though

https://vortexgear.store/products/m0110-triple-mode-version

Edit, here's what I was looking for. if you want it loud get it with cherry Blue's. That will sound loud as hell.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 4, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oh god it's so old looking :shepface: I don't know if I like it or hate it.

maybe it's 75% I need instead:
https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-K628-PRO-Hot-Swappable-Mechanical/dp/B09ZNQMWH6/

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 4, 2023

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

teethgrinder posted:

I'd have probably bought it immediately if it fit my Race3. On hindsight, in years of doing this, I never did find a good set that fits the Race3. I saw one or two on Massdrop that I could have made fit (one even had specific modifiers for it), but they'd have been well north of $300 USD lol. Also I don't remember them being particularly attractive.

Do the keys have to have the right text? My Esc key says "Alt".

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Saukkis posted:

Do the keys have to have the right text? My Esc key says "Alt".

text isn't the only issue, the most common keycap profiles have different shapes for different rows so if you put a random 1.5u keycap in the escape position it's not going to match the rest of the top row

not an issue if you use something like DSA or XDA though

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Oh god it's so old looking :shepface: I don't know if I like it or hate it.

maybe it's 75% I need instead:
https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-K628-PRO-Hot-Swappable-Mechanical/dp/B09ZNQMWH6/

That's retro. It's very in right now lol.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

GreenBuckanneer posted:

but has some way to enable a numpad temporarily

can you elaborate on what this means? I'm imagining that you mean like, turning some of the alpha keys into a numpad. on a normal keyboard with how the keys are staggered that sounds miserable to me if you have numpad muscle memory;

gently caress this looks kinda sick, although I wish I could get it in something other than beige

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

death cob for cutie posted:

can you elaborate on what this means? I'm imagining that you mean like, turning some of the alpha keys into a numpad. on a normal keyboard with how the keys are staggered that sounds miserable to me if you have numpad muscle memory;

Maybe you press some hotkey combination which "enables" the numpad? like FN for function keys but something similar for numpad. There's keyboards out there already that have multimedia functions, why not have like, "iopkl;,./" keys be the numpad or whatever under a different modifier?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

any keyboard running QMK/VIA could be set up to do that

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
If it was also orthogonal it could be about as good as a real numpad, but that would limit the selection considerably.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Maybe you press some hotkey combination which "enables" the numpad? like FN for function keys but something similar for numpad. There's keyboards out there already that have multimedia functions, why not have like, "iopkl;,./" keys be the numpad or whatever under a different modifier?

Just get either the 60% or 75% you were looking at and a separate numpad to put to the left of it :psyduck:

There are options at every price point and quality level, pick depending on how often you use it. Membrane numpads that costs $15, bougie mechanicals that cost as much as your keyboard, and everything in between. You can even customize one for yourself, like the Murphpad that Gearman just very graciously soldered for me.

Don't compromise what you want for your main board when there's such an easy solution to the numpad thing already available, imo. Separate issues, right tool for the right job, etc.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 5, 2023

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

yeah that's what I was thinking - all the people I know who are rigorous numpad users (myself included) definitely expect a grid of non-staggered keys, I'm not sure it would be at all enjoyable to use if you needed to use it long-term for the kinds of things you'd use a numpad for

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

semi-related: I kind of want to try an ortho board but it seems like all the common ones are like, 40% or a similar small-ish size. is there something like a Preonic with a sixth row of keys, or five rows + a numpad?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah that's what I was thinking - all the people I know who are rigorous numpad users (myself included) definitely expect a grid of non-staggered keys, I'm not sure it would be at all enjoyable to use if you needed to use it long-term for the kinds of things you'd use a numpad for

someone must use those numpad layers on laptops :iiam:

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

semi-related: I kind of want to try an ortho board but it seems like all the common ones are like, 40% or a similar small-ish size. is there something like a Preonic with a sixth row of keys, or five rows + a numpad?
15x5 is a relatively common ortho layout since it fits exactly on a 60% PCB (eg the ID75)

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

repiv posted:

someone must use those numpad layers on laptops :iiam:

yes, people who hate themselves or who are exclusively laptop users

(I've tried using those on my laptop and just gave up and got an external numpad, kicking myself for not getting a laptop with one just built in)

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

repiv posted:

anyone here tried them?

ugh, am I gonna have to buy another silent tactile switch now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any good options out there that have all of the following?

- 96% or full size
- Hot swappable
- Has a knob
- 2.4Ghz wireless
- All metal, or a metal frame, or just very nice, solid build quality
- White body

The closest I can find is the Epomaker TH96, but its plastic I'm not super thrilled about its design.