Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA For not communicating with my boyfriend while I read?

i'd turn my phone off all weekend for that one

That's what you get for dating a Klingon

Biplane posted:

Its performative. "Automatics are for wimps/women/etc not MEN"

Convenient & cheap anti-theft against millennials/gen Z kids. Even if they could drive it, they'd pass up since they can't text & shift simultaneously.

TaurusTorus posted:

what'd he say?

<muffled groans from the grave>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Darkhold posted:

Just like Jesus really.

John 2:1-12
English Standard Version
The Wedding at Cana
2 On the third day there was a wedding at Cana in Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. 2 Jesus also was invited to the wedding with his disciples. 3 At the reception, the mother of Jesus said to him, “We have to pay for our meals.” 4 And Jesus said to her "If I turn up to a wedding and have to pay $50+ dollars for a meal you better believe I'm out of here. 5 And I'm keeping the bread maker I bought off their registry."

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Darkhold posted:

I used to work at a hotel and it usually had pilots
I'm usually not a snitch but I straight up told them there was no way he should be flying. JFC.

From someone who worked on safety & risk management for a small airline - you did good.

Always snitch on drunken air crew. It's never wrong.

They are well aware what they're doing is hosed up because the airline spends a mandatory amount of time per season explaining exactly how, why and what happens when you gently caress with substances and aircraft.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

teen witch posted:

You realize that they’ve likely dealt with people like you, constantly. For you, it was an irritating moment 8 years ago, but for them it was Tuesday. He isn’t demanding to be called Michael to be lovely, he’s demanding it because that’s his name.

Sometimes you learn things the hard way, and I hope you have learned.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Foo Diddley posted:

better be making wine too, 'cuz you know they ain't got an open bar

Catfishing your guests into paying for your wedding is a pro loving move tbh

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

ascii genitals posted:

Well it was like 8 years ago so it really doesn't matter. Also the guy sucks for reasons other than demanding to be called Michael. Really at the time I think a response of "oh I do actually prefer Michael" would have been fine and I would have apologized.. I don't remember his exact words back but it was needlessly pissy.

Do you think people deserve to be, I don't know, deadnamed if they're a big enough rear end in a top hat?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

MagusofStars posted:

Who the gently caress has an attendance fee for a wedding? I would "literally assume" that you just show up with a gift and get a meal because that's how every wedding I've ever attended works. At most, there might be a cost for parking/valet and possibly a cash bar.

If I was going to go out somewhere and pay for a nice steak, I'd go to a restaurant.

That jumped out at me too, like I wouldn't even consider asking if there was a fee for the wedding in the first place because that's not a thing. Is this more common in another culture that I'm not aware of?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Do you think people deserve to be, I don't know, deadnamed if they're a big enough rear end in a top hat?

Oh gently caress off with this lovely baiting. Are yous seriously comparing a dumb common nickname to loving deadnaming someone?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MagusofStars posted:

Who the gently caress has an attendance fee for a wedding? I would "literally assume" that you just show up with a gift and get a meal because that's how every wedding I've ever attended works. At most, there might be a cost for parking/valet and possibly a cash bar.

If I was going to go out somewhere and pay for a nice steak, I'd go to a restaurant.

I'm wondering if the OP hadn't just spent the past several months listening to the bride fretting about being able to pay for the wedding, because under normal circumstances it would not occur to me to ask about "guest fees" (except maybe a cash bar, but I don't drink enough to care much one way or the other.)

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

I really don't see this as "dead naming" someone. Did I continue to intentionally call him by the wrong name? Uh no.. The entire "trans dead naming" aspect of this has come up entirely within this thread and has nothing to do with the original situation.

If someone's email address is Thomas_whatever@company.com you'd really think it was some egregious disrespect to dare assume that they go by Tom?

Noir89 posted:

Oh gently caress off with this lovely baiting. Are yous seriously comparing a dumb common nickname to loving deadnaming someone?

And conversely, if someone's name is Mike and you jokingly call them Michael when they do something wrong is that deadnaming? Lol.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I asked for your opinion. Would either of you like to point out where I said the two situations are the same?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The polite thing to do would be to ask if they prefer Mike/Tom/whatever. Personally I don't think assuming they use the more common form is that much of a dick move, but I don't fault them for being frustrated with the situation either.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Uh when you don't know the reason someone asks that you use a particular name and not another yeah, gently caress you.

There are nicknames of mine that still trigger deep old trauma for me when kids bullied me because my aforementioned dad died of cancer. If I tell you to address me one way don't get loving creative. And mine is mild in comparison to other abuses people have suffered.

But go ahead, justify yourself while I remember how to block people on the awful app again.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

I asked for your opinion. Would either of you like to point out where I said the two situations are the same?

Do you think people deserve to be imprisoned in jail for not using their legally given name? I'm not saying this is the same thing, I am just very curious about your opinion on this other topic.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

ascii genitals posted:

I really don't see this as "dead naming" someone. Did I continue to intentionally call him by the wrong name? Uh no.. The entire "trans dead naming" aspect of this has come up entirely within this thread and has nothing to do with the original situation.

If someone's email address is Thomas_whatever@company.com you'd really think it was some egregious disrespect to dare assume that they go by Tom?

And conversely, if someone's name is Mike and you jokingly call them Michael when they do something wrong is that deadnaming? Lol.

You're doing that thing AITA assholes do where they double down when called out.

The guy may have been a dick in other ways but you are the rear end in a top hat for calling him the wrong name and getting mad when called out about it. It's not that difficult to use someone's preferred name, whether that be a nickname or their original name or whatever else.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

ascii genitals posted:

Do you think people deserve to be imprisoned in jail for not using their legally given name? I'm not saying this is the same thing, I am just very curious about your opinion on this other topic.

Their own legally given name or someone else's? Your question is a bit confusing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Foo Diddley posted:

better be making wine too, 'cuz you know they ain't got an open bar

Literally the context of that miracle was making a fuckton of wine when they'd run out at a party that was just getting going, and it is specifically pointed out that it's the GOOD poo poo.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

ascii genitals posted:

I don’t follow, Pol Pot

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Everyone needs to chill out, take a step back, and remember the gurglespirts pants.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Clocks posted:

You're doing that thing AITA assholes do where they double down when called out.

The guy may have been a dick in other ways but you are the rear end in a top hat for calling him the wrong name and getting mad when called out about it. It's not that difficult to use someone's preferred name, whether that be a nickname or their original name or whatever else.

Its not even 'preferred' name. Its their name. They asked ascii genitals to call them by their actual name, and ascii genitals is pouting and whining about it.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Dienes posted:

Its not even 'preferred' name. Its their name. They asked ascii genitalsRobert Mugabe to call them by their actual name, and ascii genitals Robert Mugabe is pouting and whining about it.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Clocks posted:

I think you're missing that I did exactly the thing you're recommending. I'm not bragging about how I bullied some 60 year old sales guy about his name---it was a 2 second "oh sorry, my mistake" response. But I thought it was a bit ridiculous to angrily correct someone instead of just telling them you prefer to be called by a different name. An incredibly small stakes social mistake, whoa--lets turn this into something about intentionally minimizing the feelings of trans people??? OK....

Their own legally given name or someone else's? Your question is a bit confusing.

Any name that isn't on your birth certificate I guess. I don't know,.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

ascii genitals posted:

So we should be making decisions based on birth certificates?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Hmm, I'm trying to get in touch with somebody but I don't know what to call them. Should I use the name that they use in their email address, in the company's internal directory, and literally everywhere else I can find it mentioned? Or should I open with an abbreviated nickname that I've just invented for them on the spot?

Very difficult decision!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

ascii genitals posted:

I think you're missing that I did exactly the thing you're recommending. I'm not bragging about how I bullied some 60 year old sales guy about his name---it was a 2 second "oh sorry, my mistake" response. But I thought it was a bit ridiculous to angrily correct someone instead of just telling them you prefer to be called by a different name. An incredibly small stakes social mistake, whoa--lets turn this into something about intentionally minimizing the feelings of trans people??? OK....

My brother in the Peoples Temple of the Disciples of Christ, you gotta step back and listen to what people are telling you.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Can yall take this poo poo to PMs instead of continuing to derail the thread?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
no thanks, Tom Hanks

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
You know what I like about this thread? It started as a guilty pleasure, I have Reddit but it's exhausting to navigate. I much prefer the goon curated digests of other networks. Goons have a talent for finding the buried lede, the delicious schad and the questionable age-maths amongst other morsels.

Turns out my wife started reading those subs too and when we realised we started comparing notes. It's become a regular thing we share and enjoy. She likes the spoiler tags we use and we use our conversations about the various stories as a springboard to talk about issues and how we feel about things. It's like we're watching a daily soap opera together and it has been great for our relationship so thanks goons.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I thought mods and iks sorted poo poo like this out, not made it worse.

The Mike/Micheal dead naming analogy was just urggh. Its not the same and you know it.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

DoubleNegative posted:

AITA for leaving a wedding to eat at McDonald's?

How fuckin' cheap do you have to be, or how large is the guest list, that you have to buy your own meal at a wedding?

I saw that one, yeah. All the comments I saw were pretty unanimous about NTA and that it's really bizarre to expect your guests to be paying to eat at your wedding, and reassuring the OP that it was the bride being cheap, not her.

Serephina posted:

Who the gently caress even has a five-course dinner at a wedding? Even if you're richer than Satan and have refined friends, the guests aren't there for the service, they're there to chat loudly and have a party.

Also yes who the gently caress has a reception at a sit-down restaurant with prices, wtc.

That's not even standard sit-down restaurant prices, that's goddamn fancy fine dining prices. For a $50 steak, I had better be getting shaved truffles table-side and maybe expensive butter or at least some gold leaf or some poo poo. That or it needs to be Wagyu or something in that tier of fancy.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Yeah good idea bf, I'm sure the bride would've been fine paying for the guests $75 meal for an I.O.U.

Bf and friend group is decorum-poisoned.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Okay whose milkshake was it?

I get the kid is 14 and still learning what's appropriate with people outside the immediate family in terms of food, because we've had plenty of posts of people that just taken to your meals thinking it's fine, but it really depends to me if the kid dunked the stolen fries in his own milkshake or the girlfriends.

The girlfriend's. And yeah, that was a fairly mild response to food theft, especially since it involved getting fry grease and salt in the milkshake. I'm not against dipping fries in shakes, but it is a very personal choice to make.

Darkhold posted:

I used to work at a hotel and it usually had pilots from our tiny airport stay overnight at. Though the rules were they weren't supposed to drink for 12 hours before a flight it wasn't uncommon for them to have a beer or a shot or two at the bar.

Until one night a pilot mad about something (I think he didn't get some requested leave) got fall down shitfaced at the bar. He was basically carried to his room at 2am by Night Security. About 5am I get a call from the airport asking if I'd seen him because he hadn't reported in yet. I'm usually not a snitch but I straight up told them there was no way he should be flying. JFC.

He never showed up again so I assume he got fired. A couple months after that Alaska Airlines stopped staying at our hotel and moved to a different one without a bar.

Tbh, I wouldn't even consider that snitching. I define that as sharing info that will cause harm if leaked and will be relatively harmless if kept safe. So, telling the bosses that someone who is scheduled to operate heavy machinery is falling-down drunk when that's the truth? Not snitching, you're keeping people safer by revealing it. Telling the bosses that the same person is smoking weed in their off-hours or that they bring home stuff that'd be thrown out as waste otherwise? That's snitching, the managers don't need to know that and no one is harmed if you keep your mouth shut.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Years ago I had a girlfriend that worked at a grocery store, at the service counter. If you wanted to buy cigarettes, you had to get them at the service counter. One woman had been coming in for a couple years to buy cigarettes at that store and the workers that recognized her stopped bothering to check her ID because they knew her by name and face and had checked her countless times.

Then one day after she bought cigarettes, a cop came back in with her and wrote up my girlfriend, because the girl was underage and had been using a fake ID the whole time. She got caught at some point so helped the cops "bust" some underpaid workers for, I guess, a reduced sentence or whatever.

Oh, that’s infuriating. I mean, yeah, check every time, but unless you're trained for it, you're not necessarily going to spot a fake ID.

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for not taking my son to his favorite restaurant for his birthday since his mom fed him right before I picked him up.

top comment is pointing out that OP's ex is probably pissed because she was looking forward to having steak

She was probably hoping the kid would bring home mostly-untouched leftovers, yeah. And I wouldn't be surprised if the kid hadn't been given instructions to order his meal just how mommy likes her steak, too.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I guarantee OP wasn’t the only guest blindsided by having to pay for the meal.

Oh yeah. OP was just the only one who had the spine to go "nope, can't afford an unexpected expense like this, McDonald's it is" and actually admit it out loud.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

No, take your foot off the gas a little here, it’s not out of line for someone to someone to think you were framing them as the same or at least comparable when they’re very different situations. That’s how I read your post at first and I agree that you should call people what they want you to call them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Intentionally using a name that someone hates because you personally dislike them and you know it pisses them off is a Dick Move. Acting like you were personally aggrieved because they corrected you is Also a dick move.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My credit card has my formal name on it. The last time I used it, the salesclerk cheerfully ran through all five nicknames (not exaggerating here) commonly used to abbreviate that name, waiting to see when she got it right. I didn't find it fun or funny.

Use the drat name that's presented to you, don't get cute. For all you know, everybody calls him "Trey" because he's the third boy in the family.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

deported to Canada posted:

The Mike/Micheal dead naming analogy was just urggh. Its not the same and you know it.

It's Michael

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Just great, now I'm the person dead naming. Or bad a spelling.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

deported to Canada posted:

It's beyond urggh, it's gross.

I was in a gun control argument a while back and the guy arguing for more guns was trying to paint me as a monster trying to disarm trans people who need guns for self defense. Same using-a-disadvangaged-group-as-a-bad-bludgeon energy

Edit: and ASCII genitals was obviously wrong, of course.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 3, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My credit card has my formal name on it. The last time I used it, the salesclerk cheerfully ran through all five nicknames (not exaggerating here) commonly used to abbreviate that name, waiting to see when she got it right. I didn't find it fun or funny.

Use the drat name that's presented to you, don't get cute. For all you know, everybody calls him "Trey" because he's the third boy in the family.

I'm familiar with Pnurt, Nurty, P. N., and Urtis, what's the 5th?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Peggy

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

the holy poopacy posted:

Some of us call them Spurts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

the holy poopacy posted:

Look, when your name is Urticaria, you take what you can get.