Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
That's a very normal structural engineer type job, it certainly looks possible with some type of beam.

The question will be if it's cost effective. I'm guessing yeah, and the door itself will be the priciest thing.

For comparison, I have a basement walkout built into a hill, so the back wall is on a half-basement wall concrete foundation, then 2-1/2 stories of wood framing. The beam over the walkout is 2-2x10s sandwiching plywood with glue. No steel needed.

It needed to be replaced recently, a temporary wall was built as close as they could to take the load, then chop chop. Whole thing didn't even take them half the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The light in my shower burned out. When I went to replace it I removed the cover and discovered it looks like this:

Anyone know what that is or how to replace it? Some light tugging failed to loosen it and it doesn't seem to want to rotate. It's placed directly above the shower drain so I'm reluctant to take a screwdriver to it and start disassembling it before I have a candidate for replacement.

I've never seen a light like that before so I don't even know what term to google for.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Loosen the two screws, turn counter clockwise, and pull. That’s it.

Edit: For the fixture. The whole fixture has to be replaced.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 28, 2023

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

LLSix posted:

The light in my shower burned out. When I went to replace it I removed the cover and discovered it looks like this:

Anyone know what that is or how to replace it? Some light tugging failed to loosen it and it doesn't seem to want to rotate. It's placed directly above the shower drain so I'm reluctant to take a screwdriver to it and start disassembling it before I have a candidate for replacement.

I've never seen a light like that before so I don't even know what term to google for.

I'm pretty sure when the light burns out the entire fixture has to be replaced. I was replacing some fixtures recently and saw quite a few with built in led bulbs that couldn't be replaced. Seems ridiculous to me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Douche4Sale posted:

I'm pretty sure when the light burns out the entire fixture has to be replaced. I was replacing some fixtures recently and saw quite a few with built in led bulbs that couldn't be replaced. Seems ridiculous to me.

My new microwave came with a bright white range light that I wanted to replace with a sane soft or warm white but it turns out they’re doing built in LED for those now too

I wonder if I can get a sticker to put over it like those white to yellow fog light conversions

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Tiny Timbs posted:

My new microwave came with a bright white range light that I wanted to replace with a sane soft or warm white but it turns out they’re doing built in LED for those now too

I wonder if I can get a sticker to put over it like those white to yellow fog light conversions

It's called a gel in the studio world. Search that and I'm certain you'll find something close.

Jenkl posted:

That's a very normal structural engineer type job, it certainly looks possible with some type of beam.

I think even just a wood header is going to E fine and there's an outside chance he can just reuse what's there as a rough opening.

It's hard to tell though since Hadlock, who shames us with the most gorgeous car photos, couldn't go out into the actual room and gave a blurry thru window picture!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

These are realtor photos, might be putting an offer on this, wanted to see if it was feasible. For under $5k this looks like an ambitious DIY-er job maybe? I don't know anything about exterior door flashing but there's probably 11,000 videos on how to do it. Probably need to get planning permission to cut bigger holes in an exterior wall though.

Edit: yeah looking more closely looks like they just enclosed an exterior thing, might be feasible to do a glass garage door thing and blow out most of the wall since it's cheap aesthetic only. If you look closely the siding pattern changes slightly at the basement level.

Kind of always wanted to try my hand at welding up an old-style industrial steel window thing since it's probably not considered habitable space and not required to follow energy blah blah and it's in a climate that it doesn't really matter

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 28, 2023

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Hadlock posted:

These are realtor photos, might be putting an offer on this, wanted to see if it was feasible. For under $5k this looks like an ambitious DIY-er job maybe? I don't know anything about exterior door flashing but there's probably 11,000 videos on how to do it. Probably need to get planning permission to cut bigger holes in an exterior wall though.

Edit: yeah looking more closely looks like they just enclosed an exterior thing, might be feasible to do a glass garage door thing and blow out most of the wall since it's cheap aesthetic only. If you look closely the siding pattern changes slightly at the basement level.

Kind of always wanted to try my hand at welding up an old-style industrial steel window thing since it's probably not considered habitable space and not required to follow energy blah blah and it's in a climate that it doesn't really matter

You would typically need a permit to make a structural modification, not so much just because it's a hole to outside.

Maneuvering a big set of doors is a 2 person job.

Otherwise it's just watching videos and then getting it done in the right order come go time to get the flashing and trim right.

Just.

Since you will have just built the frame yourself, it will surely be plumb square and true so hanging a prehung door system should go pretty well.

Surely.

The structural changes are "just" wood framing. But for structural repairs it is ideal to have someone who is insured, so in case something is weird and everything collapses you'll get paid.

In my Canadian fun bucks? I don't think under 5k is doable, but these things can vary a lot by region.

In freedom units it seems more likely.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah the goal was to just stay within the existing king studs since it looks like the opening is a standard size. Just enlarge the hole (downwards) between the king studs, add the standard door bracing etc. assuming the structural engineer signs off on it. This would not be my first door hanging project.

If you look closely there's a suspicious 4x4 post about in the middle there which would imply those stud walls are not structural in which case you can kind of hang (in theory, again, pay the structural engineer for their time/expertise) whatever you want if you blow out the non-structural wall.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Oh whoops lol, I didn't process that the window is the same width as the door you're thinking. That makes more sense.

You should be able to cut that out yeah and plop 'er in. Cutting off that much of an exterior wall, even if not technically structural, could require a permit.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Are construction and material costs still really high across the board, or is cost going to vary based on region? Our homeowners insurance just changed our cost to rebuild to $700K (from 540 a year ago)! and doubled our premium to almost $4K stating inflation, and high construction/materials cost. We've done our shopping and most of the other agencies still won't cover our area and it seems like most of the communities around here are getting dropped (we're in SoCal), so we're glad to just have insurance still, but I'm wondering if this does actually reflect reality and isn't just us being taken advantage of by the insurance.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

is this a California fire thing? That seems like a really high premium

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

That's roughly what I was paying as a percentage of replacement value for a house in a SoCal fire zone last year. If you don't have an insurance broker already they're very valuable in situations like yours. They can probably tell you over the phone if they can beat your current place or if it's reasonable.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Is it possible to change home owner's insurance if you've paid a year in advance through the Mortgage?

The agency we are working through seems to be highly incompetent.

A very brief timeline:

• 10/1/22: Identify house we want to buy. Start Paperwork.
• 11/1/22: Get a policy provider involved, they come out and we agree on a replacement cost and all that.
• 12/1/22: Closing date. Paperwork is signed. We have a insurance policy on the house. Everyone is happy.
• 1/15/23: :homebrew: "jk, we don't like ur roof. get a new one and btw we are cancelling the policy effect 2/7/23. Here is a check for the amount you paid us already, less the last 45 days"
• 1/25/23: :confused: k, we got a new roof setup that cost a shitload. It would have been real nice if you let us know about this before we bought the house and signed paperwork... Can we have insurance now?
:homebrew: I guess, we'll re-instate your policy
• 1/28/23: :homebrew: Oh, Remember that check we issued you? We are going to need it back. Write us a check for that amount
:confused: Can't you just cancel it? I haven't cashed it yet.
:homebrew: Maybe...
• 2/7/23: :homebrew: Nope, we decided we can't cancel it, also we need to issue you a new identical check for reasons
:confused: So what do I do?
:homebrew: Idunno, let me ask around
• 2/15/23: :homebrew: Ok, we can just cancel the check, but we'll need some info off the check, we'll call you for that info here in the next week or two.
• 3/2/23: :homebrew: Actually, we can't cancel the check. Please give us money in that exact amount again and cash the check we gave you... We won't cancel it because it's a new account (what the gently caress does that have to do with anything)".

The bank won't accept my check because it has both my name and my co-owner's name on it, and the co-owner isn't my husband and doesn't have an account at my bank. State Farm won't issue me a new check with just my name, or just drop the money in my account, or wire it or anything - they refuse to fix this problem they basically created out of thin air...

I'm really loving annoyed and I'm pretty much over their pathetic excuse for logistics here.

Am I being a dick here? Am I expecting too much? If not, can I go re-shop for home owner's insurance?

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 3, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Is it possible to change home owner's insurance if you've paid a year in advance through the Mortgage?

Fair warning: I glanced at the rest of you post and said "NOPE, not reading that poo poo."

Homeowners is typically paid annually in advance. If you change before the end of a payment year your old insurance company will prorate the rest of that year and send you a check. But you're likely going to need to pay the new insurer for that year to get the policy in force.

What does this mean for escrow/"Through the Mortgage"? Don't even try to deal with them. Just do it yourself. And then makje sure your new insurance company provides the proper documentation to them to prove coverage and so they know to pay them next renewal period and NOT pay the old one.

Yes, this means you'll be floating the payment until the losing insurer sends you a check, which they aren't in a hurry to do. And the change will probably trigger and escrow review or whatever they call it so if the annual insurance cost changes by a lot your mortgage payment may change.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

Fair warning: I glanced at the rest of you post and said "NOPE, not reading that poo poo."

:same:

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Tricky Ed posted:

That's roughly what I was paying as a percentage of replacement value for a house in a SoCal fire zone last year. If you don't have an insurance broker already they're very valuable in situations like yours. They can probably tell you over the phone if they can beat your current place or if it's reasonable.

Yeah our original agent wasn't able to get us a policywithout a fair plan at higher cost even two years ago, and talking directly with other insurance companies puts dwelling cost around 300 dollars per sf which gets right around the new quoted dwelling coverage. Still couldn't beat Farmers price, but it's annoying that USAA won't cover us here, but did cover two years ago and apparently still covers those with active policies. I guess this is just the cost to build"norm" for now.

Edit: just reread your post and completely skipped over the part about just asking the agent if this seems right, not just for a new quote; probably the easier and smarter option than what I did for sure. Thanks!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I’m not in California, but my insurance went up 33% on my renewal. Gonna have to call around now, not looking forward to it. No claims made or anything at all that has changed, and no reason stated, just dropped it in my lap.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I’m not in California, but my insurance went up 33% on my renewal. Gonna have to call around now, not looking forward to it. No claims made or anything at all that has changed, and no reason stated, just dropped it in my lap.

My car insurance went up 30% or so as well, sucked. I was getting a bit below market rate before, now I cannot change carriers much without significant benefit, so I’m just eating it.

Paying 120 / mo or so. My condo insurance which is basically renters insurance after all is like 60 / mo or so.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Insurance premiums are going to be noticeably higher this year across the board. Everyone should be prepared to see pretty decent increases on their premiums. Costs to repair cars and homes went way up, labor, supply chain, parts etc.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm in California, and my insurer sent me two cancellation notes that mysteriously never arrived. What are the odds? And apparently their ability to send email and make telephone calls also vanished. So sad.

Fortunately, we've been Amica customers for thirty years and they made it happen. Our old insurance agent actually asked us who our new insurer was so they could send their clients there.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The bank won't accept my check because it has both my name and my co-owner's name on it

This bit is on your end, and may be worth sorting out. Like just open another account or something. The insurer being monkeys about the check is annoying, but not sure it's worth more than grumbling. Sounds like you may have other reasons to shop for a new one though

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Am I being a dick here? Am I expecting too much? If not, can I go re-shop for home owner's insurance?

The short answer for how to fix your immediate problem is to be the biggest rear end in a top hat you can.

Keep escalating, ask to talk to everyone's manager, and demand to keep moving up the chain until you get to someone who can un-gently caress that check. They sent you a check you can't cash, yet want you to return the money, so obviously you're not just going to eat the cost yourself.

The version of events that you're giving sounds a lot like some people in the lower/middle rungs of an office either not knowing how or not being willing to fix a problem they caused. If you keep chewing your way up their org chart eventually you'll find someone who can fix this by decree.

The key things to keep in mind are to 1) be very clear what you want 2) state it simply and 3) be consistent in that. Clearly communicate what is wrong and what resolution you need, and when they say no ask to talk to someone higher up. It helps if you write this out and keep it by your when you call so you quickly have a reference of exactly what you want to say, so you don't get flustered etc.

For example:

"My bank will not let me cash the check because it has two names on it. I can not cash the check, which means I can't send you the money back. I need you to resolve this.
Preferably void this check entirely or, if that is not possible, send me a new check that I can deposit and send the funds back to you. Right now you are asking me to double-pay for my coverage which I am not willing to do. If you can not do this please escalate me to someone who can."

Note that these tactics make you an rear end in a top hat if you're calling about your garbage pickup happening at 10:00 instead of 9:00 as scheduled, but if it's a serious thing involving money etc. it's how you get results.

edit: I can not emphasize enough how important it is that you are very clear in what your problem is, very clear in what resolution you need, and very clear about not accepting their alternatives.

edit 2: this could also lead to them dumping you, in which case you'll need to do all of the above again (plus find a new insurer) but insisting that they send you a check you can cash.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Epitope posted:

This bit is on your end, and may be worth sorting out. Like just open another account or something. The insurer being monkeys about the check is annoying, but not sure it's worth more than grumbling. Sounds like you may have other reasons to shop for a new one though

Yeah, all the above is assuming you can't get a joint account with your non-spouse co-owner for whatever reason.

Frankly it's probably worth having a joint account to handle joint expenses if you're in a non-married co-ownership situation. Obviously there are other pitfalls there that you need to watch out for, but that' between you and your co-owner.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

What Cyrano474 said above.

But here's a fun anecdote in Canada: You actually can't cancel a check (even if you pay your bank to do so).

MoneyMart (check cashing place) has won multiple times in our Supreme Court (Based off the first banking laws from like 1850 or something) that they can't be held liable for innocently cashing a check for someone and forces your bank to pay them who then takes the money from you as there's no updated law/way to check if it's a good or bad check before cashing. So rule of thumb up here for companies is now generally "one check only" - and it's a manual process to return the old one and get it reissued. (Or if the check gets stale dated at like 6mo and made invalid at that point)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Who are the go-to guys for a cross-country relocation. I think we're looking at a "full service" mover type

Wife's company paid for Allied to move us out here but they're not paying for us to go back. Maybe we can still leverage a corporate discount with them? I think we're going move about 1200-1400 sq ft of furniture and downsize the rest. Google says expect to pay about $15,000 is that about right? We are doing the very definition of coast-to-coast

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 3, 2023

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
You could FedEx the check to the co-owner and have them endorse, cash, and send you the proceeds. You're out the $$ to send it but at least your policy is in force.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Hadlock posted:

Who are the go-to guys for a cross-country relocation. I think we're looking at a "full service" mover type

Wife's company paid for Allied to move us out here but they're not paying for us to go back. Maybe we can still leverage a corporate discount with them? I think we're going move about 1200-1400 sq ft of furniture and downsize the rest. Google says expect to pay about $15,000 is that about right? We are doing the very definition of coast-to-coast

I paid ~10k in 2014 moving a two bedroom halfway across the country through United. They were fine, but most of the big names just coordinate local teams to do most of the work. Ymmv with the luck of the local subcontractor draw. I'd anticipate much more than 15k for full country with current costs of labor, gas, etc.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 3, 2023

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Hadlock posted:

You’re the poster who moved to NC and talked about how you could buy a house really cheaply right

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was mostly complaining about how NC was no longer affordable to buy in, especially near the coast but otherwise yes. Suprisingly we weren't one of the "I'll just move to a LCOL area and live the WFH dream" tech bay area exodus families

Early 2020 I think NC was still affordable but Charlotte and Raleigh areas are near the top of most people's lists of most competitive housing markets right now. By mid 2021 it was pretty bad already

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 3, 2023

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Hadlock posted:

I was mostly complaining about how NC was no longer affordable to buy in, especially near the coast but otherwise yes. Suprisingly we weren't one of the "I'll just move to a LCOL area and live the WFH dream" tech bay area exodus families

Early 2020 I think NC was still affordable but Charlotte and Raleigh areas are near the top of most people's lists of most competitive housing markets right now. By mid 2021 it was pretty bad already

No I just like the thread arc of already moving cross country again

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Raleigh has like a bajillion jobs, and the area is otherwise fairly desirable to live in and USED to be an average-ish COL area, so the area has gone totally ape poo poo. Wake County has been like top 10 nationally in population growth I think for the past several years. Lots of tech, lots of pharma, and lots of manufacturing outside the city... something for everyone.

We bought in 2016 when things were thought to be "holy poo poo crazy." As in, it took 2-3 days for houses to go under contract.

Now of course if a house is on the market for more than 1 day it's probably a massive poo poo-hole, and houses in our neighborhood have been going for like 50% higher than in 2016.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Starting to look around to get a half-bath turned into a full-bath. Gonna require removing a wall (two closets) to make it fit. First quote, didn't come to the house to check it out: $40-45k. love to get the "gently caress off" quote.

Gonna shoot off a few more requests and see if we can get it under $20k

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Nybble posted:

Starting to look around to get a half-bath turned into a full-bath. Gonna require removing a wall (two closets) to make it fit. First quote, didn't come to the house to check it out: $40-45k. love to get the "gently caress off" quote.

Gonna shoot off a few more requests and see if we can get it under $20k

Bathrooms are expensive, that doesn't seem crazy, although not coming to the house is a big nope. My sister just squeezed a tiny bathroom between two bedrooms and it was 50k (from a quality builder in PNW, but no crazy expensive fixtures or anything).

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Hadlock posted:

If you're paying for it yourself, get a Pods pod and save $10k+. Yes, it'll be a fair amount of work loading it up, but you can save a ridiculous amount of money. Then you can use the savings on upgrading things, or replacing ones you don't feel like moving.

We did this last year with no regrets. Movers estimate was $9k, we paid < $3k for the smallest Pod. The difference bought us a new couch and much nicer bed/mattress.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 3, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thanks but I think we're going to do a full service move. I will probably pack up my workshop and office myself but have the movers do the rest. There's enough posts in this thread about the luxuries of paying someone else to do it I won't repeat them here

Upgrade posted:

No I just like the thread arc of already moving cross country again

I mean, I didn't want to move out here to begin with. I have zero interest in living on the east coast. I gave it ~8 months and we began formulating a strategy to move back. At best we were going to stick it out for three years and then get my wife a transfer out of there. That's about as short as I can get this post without it turning into a wall of text.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hadlock posted:

Thanks but I think we're going to do a full service move. I will probably pack up my workshop and office myself but have the movers do the rest. There's enough posts in this thread about the luxuries of paying someone else to do it I won't repeat them here

I mean, I didn't want to move out here to begin with. I have zero interest in living on the east coast. I gave it ~8 months and we began formulating a strategy to move back. At best we were going to stick it out for three years and then get my wife a transfer out of there. That's about as short as I can get this post without it turning into a wall of text.

I for one would like more details on the story time if you feel it would help you to write out any thoughts in e/n!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I mean, I was unhappy here, but now that we have concrete plans to move back I'm in a much better mood. My wife being closer to her family will help her mood a lot more as well.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Full service was out of my price range for my move from Indiana to Oregon in Fall 2022; got $10k cash to move from my company. Ended up paying ~$1.5k for movers to pack our poo poo (2k sq foot house, 2 adults + 2 kids) and get it in a big Uhaul + $3k for the Uhaul + like $$$ gas for 2.2k miles for the uhaul and an SUV + $900 for people to unload (but not unbox) our stuff in the house. I think I only talked to 1 or 2 full service movers and it was like 25k+ at the time, which was way out of my price range so I didn't even bother negotiating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Need some help friends.

My (gas) hot water heater just sprung a leak so I have it off. The hot water out side is hooked up to this little box which hooks up to my (oil) furnace I use for steam based heat. The hot water that goes through the rest of the house does not go through this little box.

Full boiler

Do I need to have my furnace off now? Or can I keep my furnace on while I have my boiler off? Wondering if I’m without just hot water or heat and hot water

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 4, 2023