Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

tsob posted:

I don't see it on Netflix now that you mention it, but it did get a second season. I had to double check it on Wikipedia to make sure of that, since I dipped after about half of season one honestly, but I do remember them mentioning more of it during Short Rests and such years ago. I've no idea where you'd find it now if it's no longer on Netflix however. I know they used to do some spots on Adam Ruins Everything too, but I don't know if they're doing anything beyond NaDDPod and Dimension 20 these days.

I haven't seen many episodes of Adam Ruins Everything, but one of the ones I have seen is all about weddings, and it's centered on Murph and Emily's wedding :3:

I don't remember much because it's been some years since I've seen it, but generally it's Murph mostly freaking out on Adam for ruining the magic of weddings on his special day, and Emily calming him down at the end by saying their love is the important thing. She has a line in there about how getting married jeopardizes her badass independent chick image she's crafted, but she doesn't care because she loves him :unsmith:

E: Thought I was in the NADDPoD thread but this is still not off-topic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

tsob posted:

I don't care if it's necessarily for this campaign, but I do hope they get Rekha, Grant, Raph, Katie or Sam back for at least one more; they're great players for the few short runs they've been in, and I'd love to see more any/all of them.

I need to rewatch Of Mice and Murder, but I recall being floored by how much Grant delivered on one of the hardest things to play in role playing games. Being a character that's a brute, or wacky is one thing, but playing a *highly intelligent* character often requires you actually being somewhat witty, outside of the roles alone. And by george he pulls it off.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I need to rewatch Of Mice and Murder, but I recall being floored by how much Grant delivered on one of the hardest things to play in role playing games. Being a character that's a brute, or wacky is one thing, but playing a *highly intelligent* character often requires you actually being somewhat witty, outside of the roles alone. And by george he pulls it off.

The "casting" of that season was so spot-on. You had Katie playing a cockney criminal weasel, Sam as a "simple country loyah"-type oil tycoon warthog, Grant as the aforementioned clever detective fox, Rekha as a fancy skunk, Raphael as a stuffy owl-priest (or vicar, whatever), and Ally as a giant muscly (but sweet) German Shepherd, emphasis on "German".

Brennan also killed it with just about every NPC as well; loved the animal personifications crossed with murder mystery archetypes.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The end of Mice and Murder really shits the bed. :itwaspoo:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I see goblets, pillars and domes, cathedral spires. Is that a thurible/censer on the left? Are we going religious here?

On the other hand, there's an electric powering up sound and mechanical noises in the background.

Steampunk themed maybe? I'd be hella down for that. I have vague memories of Matt saying he really liked that look/theme but I might be misremembering. It's also not something that's really been done in Dimension 20 yet IIRC.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The end of Mice and Murder really shits the bed. :itwaspoo:
Agreed but with love. I absolutely love how Rekha played the ending, and I know a lot of people got upset, but I loving loved it

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
I found the second season of hot date on Google tv, so it's probably still there.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Spoilers for both the second episode of the bachelor Game Changer episodes, and spoiler for just terrible news that you may not want to know.
Abel passed away before the Cabo trip happened.

I just watched the two parter Bachelor episode of Game Changer, and was pretty bummed by this. That said, I wonder did Grant go to Cabo with Reece and how things panned out between them? Also, won't lie, I consider myself straight but I definitely had a bit of a man crush on Reece :blush: Buff arms, owns his own bakery, really nice eyes and just comes off as a decent guy throughout. I was definitely waffling between pulling for him or Phoenix throughout.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

tsob posted:

I just watched the two parter Bachelor episode of Game Changer, and was pretty bummed by this. That said, I wonder did Grant go to Cabo with Reece and how things panned out between them? Also, won't lie, I consider myself straight but I definitely had a bit of a man crush on Reece :blush: Buff arms, owns his own bakery, really nice eyes and just comes off as a decent guy throughout. I was definitely waffling between pulling for him or Phoenix throughout.

:same: dude seemed like a really chill guy, very mature and comfortable with himself.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Reece is too good for Grant. He can do better.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Squidster posted:

Reece is too good for Grant. He can do better.

But Grant is basically Superman? Or at least Superdong. Reece can fix him. Or Grant might just gently caress Reece up instead. 50/50. I wish them happiness in their almost certainly short relationship either way.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

All I know is Grant better not gently caress up Sam's cookie pipeline.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Reese seemed very uncomfortable when Grant game changed the prize at the end, so I wouldn’t have been surprised if he backed out off camera (even before the other thing)

Schrute Nation
May 29, 2007
Ha,Ha...Thought you could keep me out didja?

whydirt posted:

Reese seemed very uncomfortable when Grant game changed the prize at the end, so I wouldn’t have been surprised if he backed out off camera (even before the other thing)

While I appreciate Sam's flexibility to allow the plot twist that was to honor Grant's wishes, I also noticed Reese wasn't excited about the surprise.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Schrute Nation posted:

While I appreciate Sam's flexibility to allow the plot twist that was to honor Grant's wishes, I also noticed Reese wasn't excited about the surprise.

he probably killed the other guy to get grant alone. hell, the cookies could have been a long con

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
I paused the episode as soon as we learned about Reece's cookie shop and ordered one of each (to be delivered this week since I figured he was gonna get slammed with orders). Hoping they're good!

Speaking of good - loving poo poo, dudes, I thought Worlds Without Number had broken me (in the best way) with the eight pre-campaign episodes. But my experience of the last ten minutes of the first main-series episode...stakes suddenly intensified like a roller coaster that shoots you out from the start position, then I genuinely cried, then I got waves of chills and a final adrenaline spike.

Do not sleep on this poo poo, it is unlike any other storytelling I have listened to. Imagine the best moment of role-playing or collaborative storytelling you've had at a table, and then imagine a game operating at that level at least 50% of the time. These people (including the production team, Jesus the loving scoring in these things) are masters of their craft, I cannot say enough good things about the show.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
WWN is the rpg system, WBN is the podcast. (Ugh.)

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
Oh, is it actually using the Worlds Without Number system? I was hoping it was, but it never explicitly said so anywhere on the page.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
No, it's not. I was just pointing out CK07 used the wrong name in his post. (Because whoever named the podcast is an idiot.)

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
Aw, nuts! Thanks for letting me know.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Dammit, I am constantly making that mistake somehow. And I agree that it was a terrible choice of name for that reason.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

CK07 posted:

Dammit, I am constantly making that mistake somehow. And I agree that it was a terrible choice of name for that reason.

I went looking for the patreon/twitter so I could keep an eye on when the episodes came out, and even Google has a hell of a time trying to figure out what you're looking for.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
given its success, it is a terrible choice of name for the system instead of the podcast, as the podcast seems like it will vastly outstrip the system in popularity. not fair, but true!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I wish I liked Neverafter more than I did, I feel like horror roleplaying never does it for me in actual play and every episode feels like it’s a real trudge to get through.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's just a couple turns too esoteric to really get into. There's stories and characters who are self aware within them, but there's endless variations, and also books within those stories that capture other story book characters and lets them live there but that's just another story...

Dnd has dwarves and poo poo, but it's rooted enough in reality that you have some footing to understand the world. There' some great poo poo happening in Neverafter, but it's hard to know what the stakes really are when the ground rules are so hazy.

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

I think it's rad as gently caress but I am also, it must be noted, a nerd and a weiner.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I feel like that’s kind of the only part of Neverafter I really like, which is the stuff that’s a commentary on the nature of stories and what a hellish existence being a character in a fable or children’s story would be, especially one in which you’re an ostensible villain or a flawed protagonist made to ensure a moral and nothing else. But all the other stuff has no there there for me and I’ve literally never found horror roleplaying to be effectively scary.

It’s also really not what I come to D20 for. I come for really expansive and expressive storytelling interspersed with really good humor and it always feels like horror claws out comedy in place of being starkly tragic or affecting which it never is for me.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Is Neverafter actually a horror season, though? Ostensibly it is of course and it has had some moments, but I wouldn't say it's much scarier overall than Fantasy High Sophomore Year. I'm still enjoying it (especially after the last couple episodes), but IMO it's less tense than A Crown of Candy.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

it's had some good horror moments but good horror gaming requires a tighter rein on tension and release and that's hard with the D20 seasonal format

I love me a horror game, my go to one-shot is a horror parlor larp It's jailbreak by greg stolze, go play Jailbreak, but I've never seen anyone do it as a campaign well.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I think I’ll give WBN a couple more episodes but at the moment Erica is playing “Make every moment an after school special” Dungeons and Dragons that I’m not a fan of. Lou’s character in an unfair but interesting scene? Better chime in “Don’t be mean to my friend! I’ll now describe what I think the end result of your character’s growth should be.”

And it’s very very pretentious. I think I need a larger percentage of comedy in my actual plays.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Xand_Man posted:

it's had some good horror moments but good horror gaming requires a tighter rein on tension and release and that's hard with the D20 seasonal format

I love me a horror game, my go to one-shot is a horror parlor larp It's jailbreak by greg stolze, go play Jailbreak, but I've never seen anyone do it as a campaign well.

John Tynes's 'In Media Res' is another great one.

blackcross
Apr 10, 2005

And it’s very very pretentious. I think I need a larger percentage of comedy in my actual plays.

This is my worry too. I'm not subscribed to the Patreon so I'm only listening to the free episodes and have hope that it'll pick up once they're all together and interacting. But so far I just don't care that much when the melodrama starts. Give me fun! Hearing people role play out deeply emotional scenes that they're crying through often leaves me cold and waiting for the scene to move on.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

I think I’ll give WBN a couple more episodes but at the moment Erica is playing “Make every moment an after school special” Dungeons and Dragons that I’m not a fan of. Lou’s character in an unfair but interesting scene? Better chime in “Don’t be mean to my friend! I’ll now describe what I think the end result of your character’s growth should be.”

Thanks for this post. I was curious about this because the cast is great, but the preview I started listening to was too self-serious. I’ll skip it for now.

E:

blackcross posted:

But so far I just don't care that much when the melodrama starts.

Yup. I love when NADDPOD or D20 do occasional dips into those moments, but I’m not into listening to hours and hours of it.

Prairie Bus fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 6, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

They kind of give up the ghost in one of the fireside chat episodes, that they're all workohalics and this show was the best way they could give themselves space to do a long-form home-game style thing together.

I'm enjoying it enough so far, great audio production, but I'm also going into it knowing full well this is something they're doing for each other moreso than the audience. The self-serious stuff is fine by me, as I don't think this was billed as a comedy podcast anyway.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

It’s going to be a good Game Changer tonight

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRWmqDjC/

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Awesome.

(How come when I go directly to the game changer tiktok page I can't see that video?)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Neverafter has been fun for me so far, but I'm perpetually like three episodes behind, so there's time for the audience to digest the show and analyze it before I get to an episode. That helps.

I do wonder how they'll resolve the season, though, because it seems like antagonists have occupied every stance the players might take. ('lets set the stories back to normal', 'lets rewrite the stories to benefit us', 'let's tear down the whole system and leave it on tatters', etc)

Kloaked00 posted:

Oh, I am excited for this one.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I think I need a larger percentage of comedy in my actual plays.

I think this is where I'm at too. I listened to a bit of the first of the preview episodes after it went up for free, and it was just too dour and serious out the gate for me. I made a post here before I even started it since I wasn't sure when I'd have chance, saying that I can't imagine it won't be at least good as a baseline but I guess I just need some comedy in my Live Plays because I found myself bouncing off it and haven't felt in the mood to go back to it since. I don't know that I'd call it pretentious, but it's definitely not for me if it's going to be all serious, all the time. If that's what they're interested in at the moment though, then more power to 'em I guess. I'll certainly keep an ear open for news on new campaigns since they're all immensely funny people when they do lean into it and that humor is apparently a necessary contrast to sell the drama for me.

MikeJF posted:

Awesome.

(How come when I go directly to the game changer tiktok page I can't see that video?)

I assume it's for the same reason the video isn't even there for me when I click the link i.e. it's probably been taken down in the meantime.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Kloaked00 posted:

I really love how Brennan has hit a point where he just immediately suspects that something is a game the instant that things go even slightly askew around Sam.

Is it even possible to put Brennan in a situation where he’s actually on the back foot? Because I would love to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

NieR Occomata posted:

Is it even possible to put Brennan in a situation where he’s actually on the back foot? Because I would love to see it.

Probably any 'normal' situation, where there are no rules or true winning, like a company pot luck or high school.