Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Wasn’t Fusion on the “New games will be periodically added” section of the GBA games Switch announcement, so we already knew it was coming?

That said, I did not expect it so soon.

I have no idea, I wasn’t keeping up with anything Metroid-related until the Prime remaster blindsided me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Can't wait to replay Metroid Fusion again for the xth time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The last Metroid is in captivity

Oh, gently caress.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Not having played it, I heard Fusion is really on-rails and talky but how does it actually compare to Dread? I went back to Dread for a bit after Prime and yep it sure does like throwing around random waist-high debris and randomly sprouting trees and such to block you off from previous areas at every step.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

That owns. Is MZM already available/announced for Switch? Between this and Prime Remastered I may finally pull the trigger on buying one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Item Getter posted:

Not having played it, I heard Fusion is really on-rails and talky but how does it actually compare to Dread? I went back to Dread for a bit after Prime and yep it sure does like throwing around random waist-high debris and randomly sprouting trees and such to block you off from previous areas at every step.

It's very linear but it's still pretty fun

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Item Getter posted:

Fusion is the most linear of the games, and has gently caress-all sequence breaking tech to even bypass it. It's like Other M in that sense, except with FAR better characterization and logical reasoning for Samus taking orders.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The opening cinematic (before you press start) of metroid fusion is super cool and compelling

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Item Getter posted:

There's stealth sections in Fusion, but they're a lot smaller. There's not really the feeling of things organically opening up to you because the computer just gives you approval for entering the next section, and there are extra things you can get with backtracking, but there's a point towards the end of the game where it locks you out of backtracking without warning.

It's otherwise a fine game, just missing a little.

I think it's actually less talky than Dread, especially since it feels like less talking without the voiced exposition. Also Samus does some elevator monologues.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Item Getter posted:

Fusion was a bit more linear than, say, Super Metroid, there's generally a prescribed path for a lot of the game. It's sort of a concession to it being a handheld title, it's deisgned to be played in relatively short stretches such that if you're away from it for a bit and then come back, you won't be hopelessly lost because you forgot where you were going. It's a bit like Metroid 2 for the original Gameboy that way. That said, it does open up a bit in the latter bits as you can start breaking out of the intended path (which is actually something of a plot point)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Metroid Fusion does some clever tricks to still give you a feeling of exploration despite being very linear, at least on your first playthrough.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

also to be clear, the "lockout" is that it forces you into the final boss segment if you try to return to the central hub after the last major plot beat, requiring use of hidden routes to explore and get item completion on first clear. BUT if you continue after beating the final boss, you'll be at that point of the story without being locked and with a collection completion counter, so if you don't intend to get completion on first clear with minimum time, it's not THAT big of a deal.

Augus posted:

Metroid Fusion does some clever tricks to still give you a feeling of exploration despite being very linear, at least on your first playthrough.

Yeah, in spite of how it tends to feel in memory, it's not literally the computer telling you where to go every step of the way. Even pretty early on you get objectives with pretty vague directions and have to find them yourself, and later on your needed actions line up less and less with the "official plans."

The Golux fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 3, 2023

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Yeah, Fusion is an exceptional game, and I think that is not despite its linearity, but because it embraces and utilizes it. It starts out seemingly on rails, but very soon asks you to find your own solution to problems as the sleek plan that the federation/the game designers seemingly laid out for you starts to go wrong.

Despite of how little you can break out of the intended sequence, I might have gotten lost or stuck for a while more in Fusion than any other Metroid. Of course, knowing now that you (structure spoiler) absolutely do have to find the progression in your current sector and there's no hidden path in some other one, forcing you to backtrack makes it much more constrained and "obvious" what you have to do, but on a first playthrough without people on the internet whining about ~linearity~ for 20 years, you don't know that!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The Metroid Fusion Open Randomiser is an excellent mod if you like how Fusion plays but want a more open map. It checks all of the plot flags so that you can go anywhere from the start (as long as you have the right abilities and have unlocked the relevant doors). It's pretty easily customisable and includes a difficulty slider that basically controls how rude the game can expect you to get with shinesparks.

Oh yeah if you do play it make sure that you don't save other than at a sector entrance. There's a couple of spots (lower sector 2, some later bits of sector 6) where you can soft lock yourself by going in without the right items to get yourself out.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 3, 2023

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Metroid Fusion is just below Dread as my favorite 2D entry, and I think it’s the first game in the 2D series where most of the bosses were actually something to look forward to. As far as the linearity is concerned I think it’s fine cause it plays on your expectations after the first few objectives, and that’s entirely the game playing to its themes rather than bad game design.

Very happy to see it here since it means the entire 2D series’ original entries are playable on one console officially and I think that’s rad.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Thread please advise - if I started a playthrough of Metroid Prime 2 how likely am I to get brutally owned when Nintendo announce a remaster of it in like six months time and I've already have my fill of the game? (Exactly what happened to me with Prime 1)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

No Dignity posted:

Thread please advise - if I started a playthrough of Metroid Prime 2 how likely am I to get brutally owned when Nintendo announce a remaster of it in like six months time and I've already have my fill of the game? (Exactly what happened to me with Prime 1)

I’ve got the game on an emulator, but I’m holding off for a bit to see if any rumors pop up about a Prime 2 remaster.

I just wanna experience Sanctuary Fortress in HD :getin:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

No Dignity posted:

Hurry up and start it so we can get a Prime 2 Remaster before Christmas

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Hurry up and start it so we can get a Prime 2 Remaster before Christmas

I was wondering this lol it'd be the perfect way to guarantee the remaster for everyone else

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Item Getter posted:

Not having played it, I heard Fusion is really on-rails and talky but how does it actually compare to Dread?
The thing about Super Metroid is that the only thing that defines where you can go in that game is the design of the game itself--that is, the location of progression items and where you need to use them. That's why sequence breaking was such a big deal in that game because if you had the skill to get somewhere you weren't "supposed" to be, the game would still continue on. The only explicit check in the game is you have to defeat all four bosses to get access to Tourian.

Fusion is the exact opposite of that. It has a scripted events system--the first title in the Metroid series to have one--that literally changes the map around you. Without getting in to spoilers, if you could sequence break Fusion you'd end up soft-locking the game by getting into areas you can't actually leave until a scripted event fires, which won't fire because you're playing the game out of order. So in that sense the game is very on-rails compared to Super. That said, the design of Fusion is very good in its own right, and the scripting is significantly tied to the design and plot of the game in a good way.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Finally got around to sorting and posting some impressions

First, really liked the ending here:

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/1631678202312798209?t=72pELtyBx_CSf_h3h0kvdg&s=19

Secondly, this is proper sequencing:

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/1631678579124879362?t=PUOObBwGbVJtY3_h9_Yuuw&s=19

Finally:

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/1631678752756482048?t=a1EBjvbmC7ZUljRxtfFDIw&s=19

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

No Dignity posted:

It's not happening. Retro worked on the Prime Remaster just before they got called into fix Bamco's hot mess on Prime 4, and that's what they've been working on since.

It's "possible" some other studio is working on Primes 2 & 3 while Retro is working on Prime 4, but nobody has been able to identify a studio in a position to be doing that right now. Remasters of Prime 2 & 3 are (i) either a long way off if ever happening, or (ii) scaled way-down in scope such that you'd get an equivalent or better experience just playing the Trilogy versions in PrimeHack.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Fusion is the exact opposite of that. It has a scripted events system--the first title in the Metroid series to have one--that literally changes the map around you.

:goonsay: Technically that would be Metroid 2

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Fusion is really good but there’s only one sequence break which is really, really hard to pull off but leads to a funny Easter egg if you make it.

The trigger that locks you out of most of the areas in the game is entering a Navigation Room, but they cleverly hid secret routes that let you change sectors while bypassing the nav rooms. The game is very tightly designed in that respect, once you get a certain power up (it’s the screw attack) there’s a hidden path you can follow that takes you through all of the sectors and allows you to get any items you missed before you are locked into the final boss battle.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

the holy poopacy posted:

:goonsay: Technically that would be Metroid 2
Err, fine, yes. I was getting at the Fusion system changes the actual structure of rooms, not just the presence of posion water/purple goo.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Err, fine, yes. I was getting at the Fusion system changes the actual structure of rooms, not just the presence of posion water/purple goo.

Didn't the Omega Metroid reveal do that? It's been forever since I played it, so I might be misremembering.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Fusion is really good but there’s only one sequence break which is really, really hard to pull off but leads to a funny Easter egg if you make it.

The trigger that locks you out of most of the areas in the game is entering a Navigation Room, but they cleverly hid secret routes that let you change sectors while bypassing the nav rooms. The game is very tightly designed in that respect, once you get a certain power up (it’s the screw attack) there’s a hidden path you can follow that takes you through all of the sectors and allows you to get any items you missed before you are locked into the final boss battle.

Yeah you can work around it if you don't accidentally go into the wrong room.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

the holy poopacy posted:

Didn't the Omega Metroid reveal do that? It's been forever since I played it, so I might be misremembering.
The first omega metroid you encounter is in a small area shortly before the penultimate area where the other three are. The first time you go through that area you encounter an alpha metroid, then an earthquake and purple goo blocks off the way you got into that area, forcing a loop around where you encounter the omega metroid in the same location. There's a second earthquake after that, that lets you out and continue further down from where you could before.

It's totally fair to describe Metroid II as having an event system (so my earlier statement was incorrect). However, it is a really primitive one where the presence of purple goo is defined by the count of remaining metroids. Fusion's is more sophisticated in that the structure of areas and event triggers are defined by the current event counter, which forces you do specific things in a specific order. There's a debug mode where you can set the event counter in-game which helps if you want to see a specific event but otherwise is almost guaaranteed to soft-lock you.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Item Getter posted:

Not having played it, I heard Fusion is really on-rails and talky

It's not.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I remember people being really concerned about the like 30 second dialogue bit in the first save room in Dread and all I could think is "God other m must have really traumatized people"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Super Metroid's capacity for sequence breaking is enjoyable and fascinating, but is not what makes it a good game. The idea that anyone's first time experiencing Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion should be influenced by twenty years of stale and meaningless arguments about "linearity" is asinine.

For gently caress's sake, people playing through the games for the first time aren't going to walk away from Fusion thinking "drat, I really would have enjoyed that if only I could have walljumped off of that one corner and gotten [item] earlier than I was eventually did."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My bad too then, I remembered the looping bit but I was thinking it actually added some other sort of obstacle.

Maybe I should replay it now that it's on Switch, it was never my favorite Metroid but at least it's short and straightforward.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

My main memory of Fusion was it was very fun and I tried to do the trick to get the easter egg and somehow got stuck and had to restart the whole playthrough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bleck posted:

Super Metroid's capacity for sequence breaking is enjoyable and fascinating, but is not what makes it a good game. The idea that anyone's first time experiencing Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion should be influenced by twenty years of stale and meaningless arguments about "linearity" is asinine.

For gently caress's sake, people playing through the games for the first time aren't going to walk away from Fusion thinking "drat, I really would have enjoyed that if only I could have walljumped off of that one corner and gotten [item] earlier than I was eventually did."

I am torn because on one hand I want to agree and on the other the ability to naturally find sequence breaks and get items early waa a big part of why I loved my first Dread run.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Man I wish they weren't just porting the original NA version, we never got hard mode in fusion

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Bleck posted:

The main "linearity" issue with Fusion is that you can't backtrack when you want to for item collection, which is generally something you can do in Super Metroid except one major exception. There's at least one instance in sector 3 (the energy tank at the top of the map) where if you fail the shinespark (if I recall?) to get it the first time you see it, you can't re-attempt it until the very end of the game. That is kind of annoying.

Also, part of the magic of Super Metroid on a first playthough is that the game never indicates where you should go--at least, not in any obvious way. So there's this feeling that you're getting really deep into uncharted territory without any obvious way to get back to a safe/familiar area. For the first half of Fusion the AI just tells you where to go, so you at least know you're supposed to be going there. Now, the second half the game definitely turns that on its head, but I can see folks being turned off by the first half and possibly not making it that far.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it doesn't really take long at all for Fusion to start shaking things up with the map markers and objectives. It's very rare for the path you need to take to be as simple and straightforward as it initially seems.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I always felt like Fusion was trying to turn it into more of an Igavania, with more plot and a more linear progression from sub-area to sub-area. I don't think it's as good as the best Igavanias though, perhaps Harmony of Dissonance or Circle of the Moon tier, but Aria/Dawn of Sorrow do what Fusion is trying to do better

Bleck posted:

I think Super Metroid sequence breaking is what brings it from being a good game to an all time great, it's different from Fusion and that's OK. I was replaying it recently and I do know where everything is already, but sequence breaking doesn't feel obtuse at all, the only real block to it is wall jumping skill. I got the wave beam early without even remembering it was a sequence break. I think Super Metroid is probably the best example of sequence breaking in any game still, 25 years later. Watching speedruns it's amazing that there really isn't very much glitching involved either even in the any percent main category, you'd think that abusing the intended sequence that much would involve much more glitching and breaking the game, but it really doesn't. I think mockball should count as a bug technically, but other than that once you get power bombs and super missiles you basically can do things in any order without glitches, limited only by platforming skill

The real problem with Super Metroid is that all of the interesting nonlinearity is in Upper Norfair and the Wrecked Ship, most of Brinstar and especially Maridia are just big collectathon reservoirs, for like 60% of the total map. Not to mention mechanics like the charge beam combos and crystal flash not being documented anywhere

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 3, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
At least Brinstar has some juicy upgrades (and the relatively accessible power bomb sequence break), Maridia is just ammo upgrades for days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

Not to mention mechanics like the charge beam combos and crystal flash not being documented anywhere

Both are shown in the bonus attract mode sequence that's added after beating the game once. Attract mode is displayed if you let it sit on the startup menu without doing anything. I remember discovering how to do both on my own as a kid based on watching that alone. The clips have enough clues to figure it out if you pay careful attention to all of the details. For example, the charge beam combo demo shows Samus equip Power Bombs, shoot a plasma beam blast, and charge up her beam. The power bomb count goes down by one when the charge combo goes off. The plasma beam shot is a clue that you have to have only a single beam equipped. By the time you get the plasma beam in a normal playthrough, you're familiar with multiple beams being equipped so you likely wouldn't be using only plasma. Seeing the plasma-only shot in the demo should set you along the thought line of "why is only plasma equipped...?"

Boogaloo Shrimp fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 3, 2023