Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

A 'poo poo cow' scenario, if you will.

With the 'smart cow' situation, only one cow needs to figure out how to open the gate for all the cows to leave, so with 'build a better lightbulb' multiple competing ideas are a good thing.

With many cows figuring out how to poo poo in my yard without me noticing only one of them needs to succeed for me to have a big poo poo in my yard.

Can't you use the toilet like normal people? ;)

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

What loving justification does anyone have to argue for incandescent light bulbs? Do they feel their energy bills are too low?

I remember the last place I rented, probably around 2011, had a living room lit by 9x 50W GU10 halogen bulbs. 450W just to keep the lights on.

Some reckon the new sort of lights flicker and give them headaches. (I think that was more the CFL light bulbs rather than the LEDs but they probably have fixated on that from CFL days, or maybe they still haven't blown.), or just 'bloody EU'.

But worth considering that incandescents would provide more heat to the room than low watt bulbs so the energy isn't necessarily wasted in the winter at any rate.
I did get my dad's mother & child lamp after he died. The elongated bulb in the top bit went and I discovered on going to renew it that it was 150 or 250W (can't remember now!) and I used to run it 5-6 hours every evening. Stopped using it and made no other changes to my electricity usage and my bill went down £5 a month just by that. (This was 2016!)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What loving justification does anyone have to argue for incandescent light bulbs? Do they feel their energy bills are too low?

I remember the last place I rented, probably around 2011, had a living room lit by 9x 50W GU10 halogen bulbs. 450W just to keep the lights on.

I think CFL bulbs did a lot to poison people against anything new lightbulb wise, but also there are a lot of people who just hate anything being different from how it was when they were a kid.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
did she do anything?

i can't remember anything about truss being PM because the queen died and there was a lot of stuff about that

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1631679420195917825

https://twitter.com/leighsus/status/1631685073207451653

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

crispix posted:

did she do anything?

i can't remember anything about truss being PM because the queen died and there was a lot of stuff about that

The best thing Trussy did was manage to be PM when Brenda died. I'm sure she (Brenda) hung on just long enough to see off Boris.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/BelfastBre/status/1631731129735856128?s=19

Poor Conor.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

we should adopt that thing in Italy where the local politician who did the biggest blunder of the year gets locked in a cage and dunked in the river

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I think CFL bulbs did a lot to poison people against anything new lightbulb wise
Yes, and this in turn is a problem with progress by the stick. It was necessary with things like RoHS, because the 'rational free market' approach is to wait for your competitor to switch to lead-free solder first, they take the hit of the years of poor quality output and iron out the problems, and then you copy their solutions, so everyone would have sat around waiting for someone else to move first while the room filled up with lead fumes.

With lightbulbs there was room for a more carrot led solution with mass public funding of as many different competing viable lighting technologies that you can think of until one of them beat incandescents soundly in all areas, but it was the End of History and the EU is far too neolib to do that so that's not what we got.

OwlFancier posted:

but also there are a lot of people who just hate anything being different from how it was when they were a kid.
This also, and it was trivially easy to turn it into an us vs. EU culture issue, especially when the press are just allowed to make poo poo up about EU commissars coming around and unscrewing all your lightbulbs.

crispix posted:

did she do anything?
she killed the queen

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Persons living in Wales - avoid Newport on 28th/29th April. Either that or turn up with a placard & loud hailer.

https://twitter.com/AndrewRTDavies/status/1631596401644675072?s=20

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I previously asked "why Keith", but now, why Brenda? Where does that come from?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Guavanaut posted:

a more carrot led

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I previously asked "why Keith", but now, why Brenda? Where does that come from?

Private Eye nicknames for royal family

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
When low energy bulbs first came out they were poo poo, and were really dim and had to like gradually get brighter. Now we have the technology to have low energy bulbs that are normal but old boomers still think they're like they were in the 90s.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Bring back 3500W vacuum cleaners! I want my freedom from these EU shackles!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They always use those weird squiggly bulbs in the news articles too. "Ooh doesn't it look weird, Norman"

Rather than the ones that look like... lightbulbs.

:hmmyes:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I talk to my light bulbs and they change colour according to my odour levels measured by my internet watch

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In fairness I have never seen a CFL that didn't look like the spiral design.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I talk to my light bulbs and they change colour according to my odour levels measured by my internet watch

"Levels" feels like it rates you separately on different flavours. 10.5 Garlic, 0.5 Toe Jam, 5.0 Adrenaline Sweat

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1631747986320490518

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

NotJustANumber99 posted:

just bathed in a green or brown light constantly

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

They go purple when I'm probated so I feel the full shame

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

One argument I could see is that they aren't as bright as LED bulbs, so they would produce (slightly) less light pollution which is a problem for stargazers.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The Question IRL posted:

One argument I could see is that they aren't as bright as LED bulbs, so they would produce (slightly) less light pollution which is a problem for stargazers.

Just get a less bright LED bulb?

Bring back curved bananas and cucumbers! No more weird EU straight ones.

Get rid of auto start/stop on cars!

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Just get a less bright LED bulb?

Bring back curved bananas and cucumbers! No more weird EU straight ones.

Get rid of auto start/stop on cars!

Bring back chokes!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

Wouldn't the ability to produce LEDs with quite narrow emission spectra make it more feasible to use filters to remove light pollution, assuming some level of government coordination?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The only possible advantage of incandescents (other than tiny signal lights which still have niche uses) is when you need a lot of waste heat for any amount of light. So keeping your shed from freezing in winter, hatching eggs, growing sensitive plants outdoors when they're small, etc.

You can do all of that with flat low wattage heat mats now and not scorch things or set them on fire though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

my honda civic i inherited from my grandmother was an automatic but with a manual choke (to hang handbag).

A nightmare when it was cold. I remember trying to do a hillstart onto a main road in it and making such a hash of it a police man got so cross with me he stopped in the middle of the road infront of me having just erratically turned out and ran back to berate me about how he was transporting a dangerous prisoner and how i was loving it all up.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's like automatic gearboxes; they had problems when they first came out, gammons have convinced themselves they're poo poo, and no amount of talk about how much they've improved will convince them they're ok now.

When they first came out, LEDs especially had a slight strobe effect and gave some photosensitive people headaches, but they haven't done that in years, and the savings over incandescent are huge. But a bunch of people are still convinced that they're poo poo or that halogen light looks 'purple.'

Used to work for Dalkia many years ago, some people get really hipstery about lights. Also I started typing this before 99's post, but got distracted by our group nearly wiping in our D&D game.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

domhal posted:

Bring back chokes!

Bring back starter handles!

Meanwhile: the question is, will the Starmeroid boot Hodge out of the party?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/03/benjamin-netanyahu-israel-jewish-diaspora-palestinians
Netanyahu has brought Israel to a dangerous moment. We, the Jewish diaspora, cannot just stand by
Margaret Hodge

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 3, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The only possible advantage of incandescents (other than tiny signal lights which still have niche uses) is when you need a lot of waste heat for any amount of light. So keeping your shed from freezing in winter, hatching eggs, growing sensitive plants outdoors when they're small, etc.

You can do all of that with flat low wattage heat mats now and not scorch things or set them on fire though.

Notably, oven bulbs are still incandescent.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

if only I could be so grossly incandescent

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's like teslas; they had problems when they first came out, gammons have convinced themselves they're poo poo, and no amount of talk about how much they've improved will convince them they're ok now.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's like automatic gearboxes; they had problems when they first came out, gammons have convinced themselves they're poo poo, and no amount of talk about how much they've improved will convince them they're ok now.

When they first came out, LEDs especially had a slight strobe effect and gave some photosensitive people headaches, but they haven't done that in years, and the savings over incandescent are huge. But a bunch of people are still convinced that they're poo poo or that halogen light looks 'purple.'

Used to work for Dalkia many years ago, some people get really hipstery about lights. Also I started typing this before 99's post, but got distracted by our group nearly wiping in our D&D game.

It's the same with CD's and why people think that Vinyl captures more sound than digital.

(Though if you go down the "actually newer technology is just better" line of thought you get into arguments about how "no 60 frames per second makes movies look like soap opera. All films must always be 24 fps!" But well save that one for the movie board.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think one of the low key funniest things is watching a youtube video of someone playing a vinyl record and seeing people say how much better it sounds than digial media.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/dril/status/873264183281889281?lang=en-GB

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Incandescents are better for planted aquariums since any old Incandescent will put out the necessary spectra for photosynthesis and heat the tank up to boot. For LEDs you need to be careful as the cheap and cheerful ones might not have the necessary wavelengths.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Lol they had real time awareness that cheap restaurant food was a cause of spreading covid and at most they didn't want it extended, including gagging media? Sounds about right.

Problem is that it's destroying the Tory has-beens while also deliberately suggesting that any public health measures should be cynically disregarded because no one in charge is actually making rules to protect people. That's their aim and going to be the narrative which is loving nightmarish when we need public health enforcement to stop literal poo poo being dumped in our water, let alone possible bird flu pandemics.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Z the IVth posted:

Incandescents are better for planted aquariums since any old Incandescent will put out the necessary spectra for photosynthesis and heat the tank up to boot. For LEDs you need to be careful as the cheap and cheerful ones might not have the necessary wavelengths.
There's tungsten light photography too, although that kind of chat attracts photographers.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

namesake posted:

Lol they had real time awareness that cheap restaurant food was a cause of spreading covid and at most they didn't want it extended, including gagging media? Sounds about right.

Problem is that it's destroying the Tory has-beens while also deliberately suggesting that any public health measures should be cynically disregarded because no one in charge is actually making rules to protect people. That's their aim and going to be the narrative which is loving nightmarish when we need public health enforcement to stop literal poo poo being dumped in our water, let alone possible bird flu pandemics.

You say has-beens, but wasnt eat out to help out basically rishi making the big time? If it gets any traction and sticks to him then... I dunno we get some shitter lightbulbs or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
There was a restaurant down my street that refused to join Eat Out To Help Out so they just sat empty while all the other restaurants were packed with customers. That restaurant is gone now. Stupid motherfuckers.