Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

MrQwerty posted:

UPDATE: They did not fix the menu

Buddy my family is from Ohio and Indiana, those assholes would call water spicy if they could get away with it.

Checks out, my aunt is from Ohio too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Jelly posted:

I used to work at an arcade next to a Wendy's back in the 90's and get the chili all the time with the cheese and onions. Get it with a baked potato. That poo poo was the bomb.

Until I got extremely violent food poisoning. It started about an hour after eating, I was in the parking lot and felt something coming on and I barely got the door open and absolutely projectile vomited like six feet across the pavement.

Then I spent the next 12 hours on my toilet, switching off between sitting and kneeling.

Then I took some acid and partied because we're indestructible in our youth.

I don't eat the chili anymore, but Wendy's still owns.

I have never worked in food service. Looked real lovely compared to retail or even labor.

You don’t get food poisoning in an hour.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Poohs Packin posted:

I worked on super yachts towards the end of my tenure as a chef and it was honestly awesome. People are generally in a good mood whilst drinking on boats.

The skipper was sometimes a bit precious but so long as I kept him fed he'd leave me alone. I scored a lot of free champagne and even got a couple of free private cruises. The hours were poo poo but I also got quite a bit of creative license with menus.

Made a lot of friends through that gig.

My brother did a stint cooking as crew on private yachts owned by billionaires kids, cruising round the Caribbean and yeah free champagne featured heavily. Funny thing was he was not trained to cook at all, and he definitely wasn't trained in hygiene and his only cooking experience was prepping food for guests at a hippie commune for a few years. No idea how he got away with it for 6 months. I guess we're just lucky he didn't kill anyone.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

MrQwerty posted:

Buddy my family is from Ohio and Indiana, those assholes would call water spicy if they could get away with it.

To be fair, Ohio does have a rich history of water so spicey it literally burns

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Extra row of tits posted:

You don’t get food poisoning in an hour.

You can if it's like chemical residue or something.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
"Hey, you know that pail full of that lovely specialty mixed drink we made for that wedding three months ago that's been sitting in an industrial freezer with nothing but a loose plastic wrap covering it? Yeah, bring that up, we'll add some lemon slices and sell it for tomorrow's wedding"

God, that manager was loving awful.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

COPE 27 posted:

You can if it's like chemical residue or something.

That's just plain poisoning, not food poisoning.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Plain poisoning from poisoned food isn't food poisoning—a definition the people on the street care about.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Not restaurant, but still food prep related. I worked at vlasic for a few years. Don't ever eat relish. One of my bosses tried to force the yard crew on multiple occasions to dump some old produce in the relish line hopper that sat around long enough to get bleached in the sun and start growing hair. Her excuse? It's gonna get pasturized anyways. We'd usually wait for her to go back inside and then dump it all in the dumpsters with the trash.

We had another incident where a cat managed to drown in the relish hopper and was caught by the sorter juuuust before it would have gone into the chipper to be diced up.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe
As a teenager I worked food service at a very large amusement park, the one with many flags. I was assistant manager at a foot long hot dog stand. We coooked the hot dogs in a large kettle of hot water, and at closing the leftover hotdogs got put away in the refrigerator. The next morning the leftover hotdogs were re-warmed and put on the line to serve. The hotdogs were fine, but they always turned green after reheating, so we would also make up a batch of fresh dogs and save the green ones for chili dogs or the occasional rear end-hole customer. Yes, when we got an rear end-hole customer we gave them the green weenie.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

SocketWrench posted:

We had another incident where a cat managed to drown in the relish hopper and was caught by the sorter juuuust before it would have gone into the chipper to be diced up.

I'm horrified and curious. If the cat had been chopped up, would this be a case of "Vlasic relish recalled in Missouri, Michigan, and Ohio due to an E. Coli outbreak," or would quality control have caught it ahead of time?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Why this isn't a hot dog at all!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

LargeHadron posted:

I'm horrified and curious. If the cat had been chopped up, would this be a case of "Vlasic relish recalled in Missouri, Michigan, and Ohio due to an E. Coli outbreak," or would quality control have caught it ahead of time?

Doubtful, a food processing plant can't afford to cat scan every batch.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Outrail posted:

Plain poisoning from poisoned food isn't food poisoning—a definition the people on the street care about.

Also foodborne intoxication is a thing

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I worked at a seafood market/takeout place in High School and College. It's funny comparing High School, where no one was trusted with anything more dangerous than safety scissors, to my High School job, where I was given immediate access to professionally sharpened knifes and a restaurant deep fryer.

I wouldn't ever order swordfish. We would get these big loins of swordfish in from our supplier which we would cut up into steaks. We would then go through the steaks and pull out any visible worms imbedded in the meat. The parasites are "harmless" but obviously not very appetizing.

I also wouldn't ever order "Chilean sea bass". It's not Chilean, or even a sea bass, it's a marketing name for "Patagonian toothfish". Restaurants like it since it's so oil rich that you can leave it under a heat lamp for hours without impacting the taste or texture. It's also overfished and has a slow rate of reproduction so it's real close to being put on the endanger species list. Despite this, the margins were really good, so we sold it right up until the point the local news showed up at our store to do a story on "What the hell is Chilean Sea Bass?".

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

COPE 27 posted:

Also foodborne intoxication is a thing

Yep, there are bacteria that can secrete toxins into food if it is stored at the wrong temperature or improper conditions, including Staphylococcus toxin, C. perfringens toxin, and most famously (and uncommonly because it is a strict anaerobe and very deadly) Botulism toxin. These can make you ill with 30 minutes of eating them, without the need for the bacteria to grow inside you at all to make you sick.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Extra Large Marge posted:

I worked at a seafood market/takeout place in High School and College. It's funny comparing High School, where no one was trusted with anything more dangerous than safety scissors, to my High School job, where I was given immediate access to professionally sharpened knifes and a restaurant deep fryer.

I wouldn't ever order swordfish. We would get these big loins of swordfish in from our supplier which we would cut up into steaks. We would then go through the steaks and pull out any visible worms imbedded in the meat. The parasites are "harmless" but obviously not very appetizing.

I also wouldn't ever order "Chilean sea bass". It's not Chilean, or even a sea bass, it's a marketing name for "Patagonian toothfish". Restaurants like it since it's so oil rich that you can leave it under a heat lamp for hours without impacting the taste or texture. It's also overfished and has a slow rate of reproduction so it's real close to being put on the endanger species list. Despite this, the margins were really good, so we sold it right up until the point the local news showed up at our store to do a story on "What the hell is Chilean Sea Bass?".

This stuff is fascinating to me! I'd love to read a book about the reality of stuff like this.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

SocketWrench posted:

In restaurants the stacks for the hoods that suck all the smoke and grease up have a fan run by an electric motor on the top. If you ever get up on a roof and look into a stack there's a large dome lid in the middle that covers the motor

And it's really, really illegal to do business when yours is inoperable. Even Doobie had to have one.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
lol it took SIX pages for someone to bring up Doobie, dunno if I should be disappointed or surprised

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
It’s because everybody else was lucky enough to drink and/or smoke away the horrors of that place.

e: also it jumped out in my head because he installed it completely wrong

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 3, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Cliche Guevara posted:

lol it took SIX pages for someone to bring up Doobie, dunno if I should be disappointed or surprised

U complain everywhere u go

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SocketWrench posted:

In restaurants the stacks for the hoods that suck all the smoke and grease up have a fan run by an electric motor on the top. If you ever get up on a roof and look into a stack there's a large dome lid in the middle that covers the motor

Oh! For whatever reason growing up there was a restaurant on the way to school that had one of those on the wall. We called it the advertising fan because it smelled really good, and it was nice to stand in front of on cold days. It was a historical building, maybe that's why.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Seems to me running a restaurant is really easy and a great investment.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

LargeHadron posted:

I'm pretty sure the ensuing mess of red mush would shut things down relatively quick. If not the sight, definitely the sound when the bones went in. I've heard the things doe nuts on a wood pole, sounds like a car accident and a 100 chainsaws

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Seems to me running a restaurant is really easy and a great investment.

Please do so and start a thread about it

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Barudak posted:

Please do so and start a thread about it

Fine dining but our menu is only liverwurst sandwiches and soda (not coke, not pepsi). No alcohol.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Duck and Cover posted:

Fine dining but our menu is only liverwurst sandwiches and soda (not coke, not pepsi). No alcohol.

RC cola?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

No. Virgil's Black Cherry Cream, Maine Root Blueberry, Milkis or Calpico (hehe calpis), maybe some others. This is a high class establishment.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

No. Virgil's Black Cherry Cream, Maine Root Blueberry, Milkis or Calpico (hehe calpis), maybe some others. This is a high class establishment.

Why don't you do those hand made sodas, and call them "italian".

That seems popular to do.

Also, do those of you that dealt with billionaires on their gently caress boats have any stories of them being bugfuck insane, or were they just the normal boring kind of insane that comes with party and drugs? I'm talking like them being off-kilter even sober.

I can't imagine that you're anything approaching normal if you can afford not only a yacht, but to staff it.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

This stuff is fascinating to me! I'd love to read a book about the reality of stuff like this.

good news! you can!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

NoiseAnnoys posted:

good news! you can!

Is that what that book is about? I liked his one show where he traveled around seeing different cities, but I'd assumed that book was just about him doing drugs and drinking with kitchen workers.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I haven't read it but I bet he banged some of those kitchen workers.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

DicktheCat posted:

Also, do those of you that dealt with billionaires on their gently caress boats have any stories of them being bugfuck insane, or were they just the normal boring kind of insane that comes with party and drugs? I'm talking like them being off-kilter even sober.

I can't imagine that you're anything approaching normal if you can afford not only a yacht, but to staff it.

Second hand tales from my youngest brother, but it was all pretty basic rich person hedonism - variations on graduate with an MBA from top school, daddy gives you a yacht to spend a year loving models and drinking champagne on to get it out your system before you take over the reins of some department at daddies company. He did two stints on two different yachts and apparently the experience was almost interchangeable because it was virtually the same person each time. I can't remember how big/expensive the yachts were, but enough they needed ~10 staff and had a galley that was bigger than my brothers one in his apartment which sounds pricey. We're from Scotland, so my brother once served a party with deep fried battered mars-bars, threw some edible flowers on the top and called them 'desert canapes'.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is that what that book is about? I liked his one show where he traveled around seeing different cities, but I'd assumed that book was just about him doing drugs and drinking with kitchen workers.

That’s pretty much what a lot of kitchens are, yes. I do think he might have taken some creative liberties for the sake of storytelling, but there’s not much in there I haven’t seen at some point.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

DicktheCat posted:

There’s actually a couple decent YouTube channels by yacht chefs, The Crew Chef comes to mind. Obviously they never show the guests, but you can usually tell what kind of people are on board based on food served and how many places are set for dinner.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

DicktheCat posted:

We had to drop a woman off who had a mental health episode and became convinced that the first mate (my friend Tony) was trying to get between her friend and friend's fiance. She was below deck full on screaming at me about it. I recall saying:

"I don't care, and you need to get the gently caress out of my kitchen".

It was later disclosed by the friend that the woman had paranoid delusions and was heavily medicated and not meant to drink. She probably had a whole bottle of champagne and I had seen her sneakily chugging mixed drinks. I just assumed she was wasted and being a pest.

Tony is just a friendly and handsome guy who was there to serve and this person just perceived him as some insidious homewrecker.

Honestly it was pretty vanilla most of the super rich people I worked for were just particular and expected things to be handled to their standard. They were also usually pretty generous with the staff.

Alot of the big money guys wouldn't even really party. They liked for others to have a good time though. We'd look after alot of families with kids who just happen to own very nice boats. It was never like zany cocaine parties at sea.

I spent a week cooking for a wealthy dude who just wanted to use his boat as an office for a few days. I went home every night and prepped some easy stuff for him and his colleagues to snack on throughout the day.

We had a guy who liked to line the staff up in a circle and spin around handing out $100 bills when he was drunk. Then he'd forget and tip the skipper another $1000 on the way out and we'd split that four ways.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

there's a lot of chapters which are basically this thread / kitchen horror stories done in that sardonic bourdain way. it's a fun read.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

NoiseAnnoys posted:

there's a lot of chapters which are basically this thread / kitchen horror stories done in that sardonic bourdain way. it's a fun read.

Huh cool, I could use a breezier read after working through the wretched of the earth, that sounds fun!

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

SocketWrench posted:

Not restaurant, but still food prep related. I worked at vlasic for a few years. Don't ever eat relish. One of my bosses tried to force the yard crew on multiple occasions to dump some old produce in the relish line hopper that sat around long enough to get bleached in the sun and start growing hair. Her excuse? It's gonna get pasturized anyways. We'd usually wait for her to go back inside and then dump it all in the dumpsters with the trash.

Are you the same SocketWrench who described hopper cars loaded with fermented relish being thrown out because Norfolk Southern can't get its poo poo together enough to have them picked up? That mad me LOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Coasterphreak posted:

That’s pretty much what a lot of kitchens are, yes. I do think he might have taken some creative liberties for the sake of storytelling, but there’s not much in there I haven’t seen at some point.

It's also very much not all of them though. My sister and many of the people she knows / worked with kinda hate the book because there was a whole wave of assholes who read it and showed up to the kitchen like "here I am, where's my cocaine and fuckbunny waitresses?" and they were not Anthony Bourdain. (She worked for a chef who won a Beard award, so yes this was upscale high pressure cooking. Though not NYC level.)

It's worth remembering that Bourdain was charismatic as gently caress, so that may have a lot to do with how much loving he does and how much poo poo he gets away with. Bourdain doesn't want to make himself into an exceptional character, so he kinda writes like he's just a normal chef and this whole world is crazy.

Fun book though, definitely read it.