Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Not sure if this is unique to the PC version or not but this level has some fun render issues! Enemies are only visible at what is basically aggro range and the level is filled with ballistas/archers/fire bomb guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Seeing spider enemies and feeling it pretty bad, but at least I have a giant club with which to turn them into paste. Also, throwing knives are pretty good for picking fights from a distance.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am disappoointed that the semi-PvP mechanic from Nioh 2 isn't back, I really liked that.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Babe Magnet posted:

In a lot of ways coop may not actually be easier. Everything's got more health, and a game like this being so heavily parry focused, not having the boss attention on you at all times is probably going to be really annoying lol

Yeah nah. I've been responding to recruit summons and bossing is way way WAY easier when you have multiple people stunlocking the boss and breaking their meter, not to mention all 3 people stacking/refreshing buffs. Also it doesn't seem like mobs are getting buffed at all.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 3, 2023

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I thought it would even out later but the bosses in this game have been pretty easy so far even without coop lol. I'm tempted to just permanently shelve the companions to try and even this out but I need that lore!! and their hats

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah I thought it would even out later but the bosses in this game have been pretty easy so far even without coop lol. I'm tempted to just permanently shelve the companions to try and even this out but I need that lore!! and their hats

It's weird because with companions the bosses are probably way too easy but without them a lot of the bosses just take *forever* to kill because they have so much HP.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'm just bringing NPCs for the stages, where they don't contribute much unless you're outnumbered or fighting something scary (which I like), and sending them away for the bosses.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

this game loving rules, i dunno what else to say. i just need a mouselook patch and this is gonna be my GotY easily

Phoix posted:

It's weird because with companions the bosses are probably way too easy but without them a lot of the bosses just take *forever* to kill because they have so much HP.

the bosses are heavily tuned around spirit disruption, as it's easily the most damaging single move you can do without crazy item minmaxing. the wizard man took me several minutes and a couple of tries because he's evasive enough that getting spirit attacks and martial arts off was drat near impossible, but the followup monkey man was a joke because of how many crit attacks he threw out that i could parry and blow up his health bar with

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Vermain posted:

this game loving rules, i dunno what else to say. i just need a mouselook patch and this is gonna be my GotY easily

the bosses are heavily tuned around spirit disruption, as it's easily the most damaging single move you can do without crazy item minmaxing. the wizard man took me several minutes and a couple of tries because he's evasive enough that getting spirit attacks and martial arts off was drat near impossible, but the followup monkey man was a joke because of how many crit attacks he threw out that i could parry and blow up his health bar with

If you are talking about the clone wizard man, he was pretty easy once I figured out that you are supposed to do the opposite of every other clone fight in video games ever killing the clones severely cuts down on his spirit bar instead of being a trap, so getting those spirit disruptions is pretty easy just by attacking

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This game is loving awesome and a fantastic successor to Nioh 2. Wish there was a Chinese voice option though, the english voice acting is the only thing holding the game back.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

This game is loving awesome and a fantastic successor to Nioh 2. Wish there was a Chinese voice option though, the english voice acting is the only thing holding the game back.

There is.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cinara posted:

There is.

I can't find it, is it there on the Game Pass version? I am stupid.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I said come in! posted:

There is?

I’m one of the 15% that has made it past the first boss. Hope that percentage rises after this weekend because some good poo poo follows all that!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Make sure you're on the main menu and not in a mission. Then Settings -> Language

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I said come in! posted:

System > Language Settings. Probably have to do it on the main menu.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cinara posted:

Make sure you're on the main menu and not in a mission. Then Settings -> Language

That explains it, thank you.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lol can you not exit out to the map when redoing missions/doing side missions, that's pretty annoying

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

lol can you not exit out to the map when redoing missions/doing side missions, that's pretty annoying

Is there not an option to do that at a checkpoint flag? That's the first thing I did in the demo, go back to the first stage right when starting the second. I think it's called "Travel"?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah there is, but not only is the post-level screen immediate and mandatory, but getting back to a flag is another loading screen and then another menu. Just let me select the map lol

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
You can't skip the post boss cutscenes if you're helping a host and the host doesn't skip, even though the game kicks you out of the host's game after the cutscene anyway :negative:

Having a lot of fun pwning bosses with randos though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

jfc those steam reviews. i literally cannot believe so many people want to play a game like this with K&M

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

jfc those steam reviews. i literally cannot believe so many people want to play a game like this with K&M

Bunch of fake yakuza

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

i'm playing it with KB+M and the only irritating thing right now is that swiveling around to track enemies behind me is a huge hassle, but it's otherwise a-okay

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I thought this bird in the 3rd level was really gonna gently caress me up, being 8 levels above me. But after a few tries I just got a little more aggressive and ended up Flawless Victory'ing it :madmax:

https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1631760127802867713?s=20

Vermain posted:

Yeah I think for most applications your focus should be on loving up their stamina bar so you get the red critical prompt versus general DPS.

Ciaphas posted:

If there's one failing of the PC Master Race, it's this. Been whining since Dark Souls 1 about games very obviously designed around a controller. Go play Mario 64 on KBM you goofballs.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

mouselook being hosed is a valid complaint, but, at least for me, the core gameplay is rock solid enough that even that is only a mild irritation rather than a dealbreaker

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

There's also a fair bit of people having serious performance issues on what would otherwise be perfectly fine hardware.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The only thing a keyboard does better than a controller is Microsoft excel.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah the Steam userbase is the loving worst.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

There's also a fair bit of people having serious performance issues on what would otherwise be perfectly fine hardware.

an also perfectly good reason to drop a negative review

i'm thankful that 60 FPS performance mode on my 3070 Ti has been otherwise completely free of issues, and the DLSS fuzziness is pretty rare. even the hitching i was getting in the demo when dying is gone now

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Babe Magnet posted:

that i'll grant. for me the demo hitching was solved by, of all things, setting a framerate cap in nvidia control panel - why that'd change anything when i was well below 60 and vsync already off, idk, but it sure worked i'll find out later today if i need such chicanery for the full game too

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I haven't had any issues thankfully with this 2070super, but a buddy of mine has a 4000 series card and can barely play lol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

I haven't had any issues thankfully with this 2070super, but a buddy of mine has a 4000 series card and can barely play lol

my old shithouse computer had zero issues with FF7R on its PC launch, too. budget gamers stay winning

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hell yeah, I just have to stay on par with the current console generation and I'm good to go

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I love kbm but not for a game like this

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hel posted:

Honestly I would like them to do more stuff like Wo Long, where they take the Nioh mechanics as a base and tweak, prune or add based on what sort of setting they are doing. But I also wouldn't say no to more Nioh games, Japanese setting or not.

Ya I wouldn't mind it either way. As someone who loves feudal japan I am just happy we got a bunch of games in that setting. For the longest time it was just Way of the Samurai, Samurai Warriors and Total War Shogun. But in the last few years we had Nioh, Nioh 2, Sekiro, Ghost of Tsushima, Yakuza Ishin(remaster). We know that there is a Ghost of Tsushima sequel in the works, Team Ninja's Rise of The Ronin and Assassin Creed Japan. So there is lots of good poo poo in the works in that setting.

I wish we had more games in the piracy age setting.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

It's so weird how hard Nvidia apparently dropped the ball on the 4000 series. I have read nothing but really negative things about those cards.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Steam reviews seem to be bad solely because it’s a poor port, but I’ll probably get it on PS5 so that’s irrelevant. How’s it looking gameplay-wise?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Thumbtacks posted:

Steam reviews seem to be bad solely because it’s a poor port, but I’ll probably get it on PS5 so that’s irrelevant. How’s it looking gameplay-wise?

It's great, based on the demo. You can have it prioritize graphics or framerate, I picked framerate and it ran buttery smooth and didn't look terrible.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Yeah that’s pretty much how Nioh was too. If the combat is anything like nioh and it has good weapon options and set bonuses and stuff I’ll have fun. Hopefully it’s still upsettingly hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

the core gameplay loop whips rear end, parrying feels satisfying as hell, and the level design's a decent step up from nioh 2 with how everything interconnects. highly recommended if third person ARPG combat is your jam