Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Patrik Allvin said he never had an offer on JT Miller. In other completely non-related news,

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/jt-miller-supposedly-out-week-to-week-is-back-in-the-canucks-lineup-6639403

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

my morning jackass posted:

that sounds like bullshit

E: the Atlanta and Houston expansions that is

IIRC, Anson Carter was part of an investment group trying to grow hockey in Atlanta. Can't remember if they bought the ECHL team there or what.

I wonder how much influence on Atlanta Turner Sports had/has. "We paid for this, now give us a hometown team"?

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
i really do think atlanta can work with the new expansion rules.
the thrashers had 1 good season and got swept in round 1

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Furnaceface posted:

At this point Im convinced the Canucks medical team are just some quack chiropractor and Duncan Keith's crystal healer.

the canucks medical director is literally a chiro who runs a golf clinic

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Wippersnapper posted:

I don’t want the Canucks to win a Stanley Cup, I just want them to stop being embarrassingly stupid. How is this such a low bar and yet so unachievable?

If you take away the goal of actually winning the cup, the Canucks new management is actually pretty competent. Does trading a first for a RD help win a cup, probably not. Does it help them back into the mushy middle where they can play meaningful games in March, absolutely.

Given how poo poo the west is, I’d say the Canucks are good for 7-10th in the west for the next few years ( if they get even slightly above league average goaltending). Won’t win a cup, but it will make money, which is the actual goal.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

the talent deficit posted:

the canucks medical director is literally a chiro who runs a golf clinic

If I make a joke that he was hired from an Aquilini owned golf course youre not going to come back a second time to :actually: me, are you?

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Kevin Cheveldayoff is dogshit garbage.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Always great how the fans of every single team not in the top four in its conference at any given time passionately believe the GM is an idiot and borderline criminal and should be fired a month ago.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Eric the Mauve posted:

Always great how the fans of every single team not in the top four in its conference at any given time passionately believe the GM is an idiot and borderline criminal and should be fired a month ago.

Hey now. The Stars have had a bad GM forever

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

Why exclude the top four? *searches "Fire Don Sweeney"*

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Well the Sharks loaded up on a bunch of draft picks and lovely players, so they are now set to Tank Hard for Bedard. Looks like Anaheim got rid of everyone, so it'll be a good race to the bottom.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

And then are all "the management doesn't actually do anything" when the team wins.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

To have a shot at the Bedard Cup, you must be in the bottom twelve. Here’s the list based on win percentage.

Detroit is the current cutoff point. Anything above that and you might as well consider yourself a loser who can’t even lose right.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Cartoon Man posted:

Detroit is the current cutoff point. Anything above that and you might as well consider yourself a loser who can’t even lose right.

*looks where Flames are*

*sigh*

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Can florida and montreal lose out for the rest of the season thx

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

triple sulk posted:

They'll bring back the Aeros

Good, I don't even live in Houston anymore and I'm still pulling for this to happen

The AHL Aeros crowd was a ton of fun, that city would be a solid NHL town

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

you know, I was skeptical of Seattle but so far that's been working. Atlanta could work as well. I am not surprised that their strategy seems to be "let's do what the Braves did and move our stadium to where all the white people are, except let's move it to an even whiter area because hockey". For reference, this is the map of the Braves' season ticket holders that the Braves used to justify moving from like a twenty year old stadium:

the new stadium would be in zip code 30009 on that map. reasons it could work:

--this seems to be working for the Braves.
--going north-south in Atlanta in a car or near downtown truly is a nightmare. there's not bad public transportation via MARTA but white Georgians hate riding it.
--in the presumably 15 years between the Thrashers leaving and now, the Atlanta suburbs have grown even more monstrous and rich and with a ton of transplants. it's like an Orange County-LA dynamic now. for reference, a lot of that map was the district that Newt Gingrich represented when he was speaker until it went leftward for years and a Democrat won in 2018. then they gerrymandered her out lol. so: more of a hockey clientele.
--better expansion rules + the cap means they will hopefully be good for more than one season where they get immediately swept in the playoffs.
--for all the things the Thrashers did wrong, they actually did do well with youth hockey to the point where Atlanta I believe has a larger player base than Nashville. and Nashville's invested a ton in it. here is a map of where the youth hockey programs are in Atlanta. it's basically 1:1 with the season ticket holder map above:

Basically, I can talk myself into it and I hope they do it, since even if it fails again, it would rule to be able to get $10 tickets and sit in the lower bowl again. And then they can move the team to Quebec City after 15 years.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

you know, I was skeptical of Seattle but so far that's been working. Atlanta could work as well.

I’m not saying it won’t work in Atlanta, but Seattle has had a decent hockey community for quite a long time. The Thunderbirds have been around in the city since the late 70s and they added the Everett Silvertips to the WHL about 20 years ago? That makes 4 WHL teams in the state, and two in the metro area. There’s a lot of Canadians here too, so that definitely plays a roll.

Honestly though, most of the fans/season ticket holders I’ve talked to are either clueless about hockey or from a hockey culture and moved here. But give it 10 years and I think it’ll shift to a hockey city. I’d love to see a NHL team in Portland OR too, the Winterhawks draw crowds too.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

When they stop being right I'll start being mad about it

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

do the first one Allvin, god drat it

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Jhet posted:

I’m not saying it won’t work in Atlanta, but Seattle has had a decent hockey community for quite a long time. The Thunderbirds have been around in the city since the late 70s and they added the Everett Silvertips to the WHL about 20 years ago? That makes 4 WHL teams in the state, and two in the metro area. There’s a lot of Canadians here too, so that definitely plays a roll.

Honestly though, most of the fans/season ticket holders I’ve talked to are either clueless about hockey or from a hockey culture and moved here. But give it 10 years and I think it’ll shift to a hockey city. I’d love to see a NHL team in Portland OR too, the Winterhawks draw crowds too.

my thought with Seattle was that they're probably long term gonna be 5th place behind the Seahawks/Mariners/<presumable expansion NBA team>/Sounders. But there's probably enough people and enough hockey fans and adjacency to Canada that it matters much less than I thought. The NBA is inexplicably not expanding and the team's got a good amount of expansion momentum, so hopefully they'll be in good shape for awhile.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jhet posted:

I wonder what the connection is between this and Pittsburgh's problems. I'm sure there's no connection, right?

Why are they planning on doing more teams when we just finally have a good even number of teams for the playoffs. Arizona will still be a contract graveyard either way.

They probably saw MLS with its hyperactive growth and attitude of "we need all the teams in all the places" and started sweating.

E- 9 teams since 2017, that's loving sustainable.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 4, 2023

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

my thought with Seattle was that they're probably long term gonna be 5th place behind the Seahawks/Mariners/<presumable expansion NBA team>/Sounders. But there's probably enough people and enough hockey fans and adjacency to Canada that it matters much less than I thought. The NBA is inexplicably not expanding and the team's got a good amount of expansion momentum, so hopefully they'll be in good shape for awhile.

The Kraken are already more popular than the Sounders. I see more Kraken gear around town than Mariners gear too but that's probably just the novelty. Agree an NBA team would surpass the NHL here quickly. The Sonics were a big deal back in the day.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

The Black Stones posted:

*looks where Flames are*

*sigh*

honestly, that's exactly where I expected them to be. The place of no hope.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

mennoknight posted:

honestly, that's exactly where I expected them to be. The place of no hope.

Don't worry, you picked up another ex-Canuck. That'll fix things!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The Canucks are loving stupid. I can't even cheer on them to lose anymore. What's the point? If they got the No1 pick, he'd just trade if for Erik Karlson or something stupid.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hey there's one Western Canadian team that is good and brings joy. It's a pretty good time!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DancingMachine posted:

The Kraken are already more popular than the Sounders. I see more Kraken gear around town than Mariners gear too but that's probably just the novelty. Agree an NBA team would surpass the NHL here quickly. The Sonics were a big deal back in the day.

There were a notable amount of Kraken fans in Detroit for the game last night.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Hey there's one Western Canadian team that is good and brings joy. It's a pretty good time!

The Jets are fine, wouldnt really call them good though.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
They televised the Winnipeg Ice/Regina Pats game on TSN tonight and the Ice are an absolute WHL powerhouse with 7 NHL prospects on the team and are up 3-0 early. Bedard finishes the game with 4g1a and the Pats win 5-3 lol

It will be absolutely criminal to see him playing in Arizona with cap dumps and minor leaguers in a college arena, please lottery gods no

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Chicago would still be a worse spot

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Minor league goalie fight

Always fun

https://twitter.com/TexasStars/status/1631864223029403651?s=20

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Shinjobi posted:

Hey now. The Stars have had a bad GM forever

Traded for pizza and Tyler and poo poo so he's coasting for life.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/njdevils/status/1631867155393159169?s=46&t=wCiCIgseK8cfbPxUzZfygA

Just seen this Jack Hughes pass tonight, good lord

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Just came to check what the Flyers did today. Jfc nothing?!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

lazerwolf posted:

Just came to check what the Flyers did today. Jfc nothing?!
Brendan Lemieux

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
another game, another vgk player getting injured. how long will this one last? :iiam:

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Will Lemieux wear 66 for the Flyers? At least do something fun like that. It's easy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Charlie finally not holding back on the job Chuck is doing:

https://theathletic.com/4274199/2023/03/03/flyers-trade-deadline-chuck-fletcher/?source=user_shared_article

“The 2023 trade deadline was the first opportunity for Fletcher to prove to both fans and ownership — newly on board with the rebuild mindset — that he had meant what he said and that he was the man to pull it off.

Instead, Fletcher delivered a whole lot of nothing Friday: fourth-liner Patrick Brown to Ottawa for a sixth-round pick and fourth-liner Zack MacEwen to Los Angeles for a fifth-round pick and another fourth-liner.”

“And perhaps Fletcher is right. Maybe, in this particular case, no GM could have traded van Riemsdyk. It’s impossible to know for sure, barring the invention of a time machine and multiple redo attempts at early conversations that could have sent the entire trade deadline process in a different direction.

The problem is that Fletcher, over the past three years, has burned any and all credibility to permit reasonable outside observers to believe that he was merely a victim of unfortunate circumstances.”

(Warning: the following bullet points will be depressing for people who associated themselves as a Flyers fans at some point in their lives):

-All but sitting out the 2020 offseason due to overrating the quality of his young players.

-Falling to make a trade quick enough to keep the 2020-21 season from spiraling out of control when Carter Hart’s confidence collapsed.

-Trading a first-round pick for Rasmus Ristolainen, and then doubling down with a $25.5 million extension, only for the next coach to determine that Ristolainen needed to overhaul his entire game to even just be playable.
-Misreading his locker room and sticking with head coach Alain Vigneault for too long, essentially torpedoing the 2021-22 campaign before it began.

-Determining Tony DeAngelo could potentially replace Ryan Ellis as 1RD despite his well-documented defensive issues.”

“Said GM will also have to reshape the defense, because it’s clear that a top four of Provorov, Ristolainen, DeAngelo and Travis Sanheim — while counting for $23.1 million against the cap next season — isn’t going to cut it in terms of winning titles.”

Editors note: $23 mil is approximately 28% of the Flyers cap tied up in those 4 players.

“But it’s understandably difficult for anyone — both the fans and ownership — to trust that the person who slapped those on band-aids in the first place will now be able to “build this the right way.” As Fletcher said, those are just words. His past actions, however, tell a different tale.

Or in Friday’s case, his non-actions.”

This team is turbo hosed for the rest of the decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
After reading that article, I looked at the Flyers CapFriendly page and saw that they acquired a UFA rental in Brendan Lemieux and didn't trade UFAs JVR and Justin Braun. They have their own 1st this year, but their 2nd was traded for Ristolainen. They have an extra 3rd from trading Justin Braun at the deadline last year, as well as from the Giroux trade, but they traded their own 3rd away in the DeAngelo trade. They also have an extra 4th (Brassard) and 6th (Patrick Brown) this year. They also traded their 2nd and 5th next year.

Oof, that's a rebuild?