Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How is it different to DSP?

DSP is a factory/automation game.

Riftbreaker is more of an action/combat game with tower defense elements. There's no real logistics to worry about and instead you only need to focus on shoring up your defenses while maintaining a resource income and further increasing your research and power.
You will shoot a *lot* of alien beasts.

Combat is also incredibly lopsided, I've finished the game twice now and the weapon balance is completely rear end. Melee is pretty much unuseable outside of very early game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
The fist melee weapon pretty much lets you punch through everything on normal and hard. It does fall off on brutal but so does everything.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Gripper posted:

It's wonky even on controller but it at least doesn't affect gameplay too much. I think it's simulating moving the mouse and clicking on menus which is some weird poo poo and for me keeps making the cursor appear even if I move it offscreen. I tried Kb+M and people are right to complain about that for sure, it's really, really bad. The original Dark Souls port felt better.

As for the game it's hard to explain but it feels... old? Somehow moreso than Nioh 1. It's definitely not for me.

Reviews calling Wo Long an approachable soulslike are talking absolute horseshit as well; if I recommended this game to someone who wanted something approachable they'd never listen to me again. I've played through the 2 Nioh games and combat in this is a lot harder to read than either of them, but at least early on nothing punishes you if you just hold block along with whatever you're trying to do.

edit; im playing on gamepass so its possible the controller jank ive seen doesnt happen on steam, ymmv

A big issue is that the PC port performance is just not great. I experienced major frame rate issues in the demo, which made combat much harder than it seems to be intended to be. I since found a fix that stabilized performance (using an external utility like Nvidia control panel to set max FPS to 59), and suddenly combat got way easier because my parries actually registered in time.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
One more thing to remember is that with this engine you can't rely on VRR or anything like that either: if it's not running at the frame cap you've set (30, 60 or 120) it'll do what appears to be a frameskip to try and maintain speed, making for ridiculous amounts of judder. This happens in Nioh as well.

If it makes you feel better it's pretty inconsistent on an Xbox Series X as well.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Combat is also incredibly lopsided, I've finished the game twice now and the weapon balance is completely rear end. Melee is pretty much unuseable outside of very early game.

I like backpedaling with movement speed bonuses and a Spear.
Chainsaw also let's you stunlock big enemies.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm looking forward to raising my Gear Score in Rocksteady Studios's Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League(tm) coming out May 26th, pre-order now.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

explosivo posted:

The port is fine, definitely some performance issues/hitches but seems like it's a lot of complaints about the keyboard and mouse controls being unusable which, well.. :shrug:

Are these hitches exclusive to the full game? I played the demo and it ran really smoothly.

EDIT: I think the massive whining about M&K on the reviews are probably because all the controller players are smart enough to play it on gamepass instead of spending 60 70 bux for the steam release.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 3, 2023

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

This is a smaller game (60 reviews) that's $3 right now. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1360270/Gem_Wizards_Tactics/ It's not in EA, it's good. You can push your enemies off the map. Push em around the tactical grid. Shove em down. My favorite game mechanic. My partner liked it but I didn't play it yet because it didn't have full controller support which maybe it does now. I'm excited to play this one.

Also the classical classic Zeus (+poseidon) is five bucks. been meaning to play that but i doubt it'll play great on the Deck. https://store.steampowered.com/app/566050/Zeus__Poseidon/

Mescal fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 3, 2023

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jack Trades posted:

I'm looking forward to raising my Gear Score in Rocksteady Studios's Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League(tm) coming out May 26th, pre-order now.

Me too.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Are these hitches exclusive to the full game? I played the demo and it ran really smoothly.

EDIT: I think the massive whining about M&K on the reviews are probably because all the controller players are smart enough to play it on gamepass instead of spending 60 70 bux for the steam release.

It does seem like I'm having weirder graphical glitches on the full version like all the textures blinking white not infrequently. The demo was a little laggy at parts but I don't remember having this specific problem with it. Also feels like some of the areas in the full game are choppier than what was in the demo. The game's playable for me but it could be smoother.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

FrickenMoron posted:

Melee kiting is incredibly strong in Riftbreaker. You can easily solo entire waves with most melee weapons until the aliens get artillery units.

The spear (which freezes and so slows) and the gloves are particularly effective.

In my experience, most weapons are very effective when used correctly, but I didn't figure out how to use some weapons effectively until after several playthroughs.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the Figment 2: Creed Valley dev is giving away the first Figment game for free until March 9th: https://store.steampowered.com/app/493540/Figment/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

LLSix posted:

In my experience, most weapons are very effective when used correctly, but I didn't figure out how to use some weapons effectively until after several playthroughs.

If you have any specific examples, I'm all ears.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

why did Spacebase DF-9 just appear in my steam inventory

wasn't that game abandoned half finished

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

My memories of the past might have been wiped out. After starting Atomic Heart, I realized there is no sprint button, I completely forgot that Bioshock didn't have a sprint button either...

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
System Shock Remake was supposed to start its closed beta today - and instead of giving each individual a single key, they somehow managed to upload a list of every single beta key to everyone. They quickly revoked all the keys, so now everyone is keyless again.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ymgve posted:

System Shock Remake was supposed to start its closed beta today - and instead of giving each individual a single key, they somehow managed to upload a list of every single beta key to everyone. They quickly revoked all the keys, so now everyone is keyless again.

Wait, why are they doing betas when they just put out a demo?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ulio posted:

My memories of the past might have been wiped out. After starting Atomic Heart, I realized there is no sprint button, I completely forgot that Bioshock didn't have a sprint button either...
there is a character upgrade that increases your movement speed at least. it's still not super fast but it's better than nothing

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Mordja posted:

It's the "backer beta", AKA have the entire game earlier than everyone else, no streaming or screenshots please.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mordja posted:

It had a Kickstarter and they promised beta access, so they have to have a beta, even though it looks like the beta is only going to last a month or two before the retail release.

Honestly, the development of this game has been a disaster, but the end product looks like it might have ended up good. Hopefully.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Aaaaah. Looking forward to SS even though I never played the original. My major problem with all the demos is that they never made melee feel any good.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

there is a character upgrade that increases your movement speed at least. it's still not super fast but it's better than nothing

Ya I am read about that, I am just spamming the dash but even that has a cooldown and its quite short. Btw Atomic Heart has some of the worst get stuck in the map bugs I've seen. I've already had to restart 5-6 times if you dash or jump into a rubble you can get stuck on there.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Mescal posted:

This is a smaller game (60 reviews) that's $3 right now. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1360270/Gem_Wizards_Tactics/ It's not in EA, it's good. You can push your enemies off the map. Push em around the tactical grid. Shove em down. My favorite game mechanic. My partner liked it but I didn't play it yet because it didn't have full controller support which maybe it does now. I'm excited to play this one.

Also the classical classic Zeus (+poseidon) is five bucks. been meaning to play that but i doubt it'll play great on the Deck. https://store.steampowered.com/app/566050/Zeus__Poseidon/

Thanks for pointing this one out, it looks fun and can't really go wrong for 80% off.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jack Trades posted:

:negative:

I just wanted another fun game with combat/movement like the Arkham Games. Why did they have to do this? :smith:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Jerusalem posted:

:negative:

I just wanted another fun game with combat/movement like the Arkham Games. Why did they have to do this? :smith:

Eight years since Arkham Knight and this is what they have to show for it. Hoping it turns out good but the footage shown so far certainly isn't promising.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It’s almost certainly a WB mandate to implement a multiplayer grindy loot numbers system and not Rocksteady inferring “this is what people want to see us follow the Arkham games with”

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Suicide Game: Kill the Franchise

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

The gameplay looks like rear end too though, at least what they've shown. Everyone uses guns and you shoot purple orbs. Like what?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
can't wait to play Captain Boomerang and use his signature weapon --- the sniper rifle.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

AngryBooch posted:

can't wait to play Captain Boomerang and use his signature weapon --- the sniper rifle.

I don't know, the sniper rifle doesn't seem that big a dea-
gets another sniper rifle with +0.048 damage
Oh poo poo, now we're talking! :hellyeah:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's a shame, the movement (especially Boomerang's) actually looks like a lot of fun, and way better than Gotham Knight's seemed. It's just that it's also attached to another loot shooter.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I am vibing with Paradise Killer extremely hard

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Huh, y'know I don't really follow Anno at all, but Steam showing me that Anno 1800 is 75% off right now will probably be of interest to somebody here. Spring Cleaning will resume after I finish grabbing the latest stuff from the update of an idle game that I'm determined to maintain 100% in, even though it's mediocre.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 4, 2023

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Paradox posted a short teaser of whatever Harebrained is going to announce on Monday.

https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1631701023919046690

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Doesn't look like Battletech or Shadowrun, so there are going to be a lot of disappointed gamers unless it's really cool. Plus they said there won't be any news about Bloodlines 2, which would be disappointing if I had any expectations left for that game.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Oxxidation posted:

Even their OST album art has vibes.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Anno posted:

Paradox posted a short teaser of whatever Harebrained is going to announce on Monday.

https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1631701023919046690

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1631720198330802183

I know this is just brands interacting. But what if.... it's Crimson Skies?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know, the sniper rifle doesn't seem that big a dea-
gets another sniper rifle with +0.048 damage
Oh poo poo, now we're talking! :hellyeah:

That new sniper doesn't have +0.17% critical damage to electrified enemies. it's trash. sorry you had to find out this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

loving love this game. Criminally under the radar title