Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don’t get the birth rate thing. What’s the problem, exactly? Is there an assumption that people will just keep avoiding kids until nobody’s left? That a smaller growth rate somehow means a trend toward zero? Even if people were breeding at less than replacement rate why would that rate remain fixed as the population shrinks instead of leveling out or going back up?

Social security is already boned so that argument’s a miss for me, and I definitely don’t care about having enough strong backs around to guide the boomers into the grave.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don’t get the birth rate thing. What’s the problem, exactly? Is there an assumption that people will just keep avoiding kids until nobody’s left? That a smaller growth rate somehow means a trend toward zero? Even if people were breeding at less than replacement rate why would that rate remain fixed as the population shrinks instead of leveling out or going back up?

Social security is already boned so that argument’s a miss for me, and I definitely don’t care about having enough strong backs around to guide the boomers into the grave.
Social Security is certainly not boned at the moment, and the problem is not going to be paying for Boomers but paying for you.

Social Security depends on young workers paying taxes now to support retirees now. More old people and few young means the generational burden gets rather disproportionate and unsustainable.

Japan and now China are already having to deal with demographic-driven budget problems.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s racism and eugenics poo poo. That’s it.

The mongrel hordes are coming for your America so make more white people to secure the white hegemony. It’s that simple.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Social security is already boned so that argument’s a miss for me.

It’s not. You could just raise the social security tax limits and boom, it’s fully funded forever. That’s also the whole thing.

Rich people would rather not pay an extra 0.5% in taxes and so will allow the whole social safety net fail instead because who cares about the unwashed masses.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Serious question:

Does Trump have an influential advisor (or a group of them) that are Mormons?

Of the Mormons that I know, they almost universally love Trump. This idea of his seems like something they would like.

Or do I just know Mormons that are white supremacists?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Are you familiar with the LDS lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

Are you familiar with the LDS lol

The church that very generously allowed the Lamanites blacks to receive the priesthood in 1978?

I can’t imagine why they’d have a white supremacy streak.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What's funny is mormons aren't even close to my most disliked american congregations

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Social Security is certainly not boned at the moment, and the problem is not going to be paying for Boomers but paying for you.

Social Security depends on young workers paying taxes now to support retirees now. More old people and few young means the generational burden gets rather disproportionate and unsustainable.

Japan and now China are already having to deal with demographic-driven budget problems.

yeah this is correct, it’s not even controversial. while some people may have nasty reasons for talking about birth rates, it’s a fairly boring economic point. here’s a conclusion from a paint dry boring report an economist at the social security administration, prepared for the congressional research service in 2019:
“Conclusion
On average, increases in life expectancy have allowed current Social Security beneficiaries to collect benefits for a longer period of time. However, the increase in life expectancies, when paired with low fertility rates, will negatively impact the program’s long-range financial position and weaken its ability to pay all scheduled benefits as projected under current law.”

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/R/R45990
titled
“Social Security: Demographic Trends and the Funding Shortfall”

here’s a similar report from gao
https://www.gao.gov/assets/t-hehs-98-43.pdf

or the ssa again
https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v66n4/v66n4p37.html

and if you treat money as fungible then a budget shortfall in one program affects everything in the budget because it’s all on the table

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pmchem posted:

increases in life expectancy

Good news on that front.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think the replacement rate is around 2.1 births per couple. Below that the population will shrink. When that happens it will age, meaning you have fewer young people and more old people. That means difficult things all around, not just social security. Increases in healthcare needs with fewer workers, fewer workers all around, more retirees etc. (These are just quick assumptions). Japan is a good example with high healthcare needs, a deflationary economy, fewer young workers. How this plays out according to your questions I have no idea.

Last I heard the US was above the replacement rate mainly due to immigration, not births, but I haven't looked at this in awhile so could be wrong. There are a lot of unknowns in this problem.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's funny is mormons aren't even close to my most disliked american congregations

As a guy whose Germanic features have survived so strongly despite 200 years in America that I have been mistaken for an immigrant at times, my interactions with Mormons have been entirely pleasant.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

maffew buildings posted:

My sister has been telling me all about it. I don't know if she's watching due to professional interest of watching another lawyer just gently caress up so incredibly bad (understatement, I know) or because white women loving love real life murder drama

*takes notes, adds “get versed in true crime” under checklist for “bagging white girls.”*

E: *crosses out “white” red pens in “all”*

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 4, 2023

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don't know why the gently caress so many people are convinced social security is boned but you definitely shouldn't just shrug at the idea of being denied benefits you have paid into your entire life

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grip it and rip it posted:

I don't know why the gently caress so many people are convinced social security is boned but you definitely shouldn't just shrug at the idea of being denied benefits you have paid into your entire life

Conservatives have been preaching that SS is about to go bankrupt since the day it was signed into law. It's disappointing so many otherwise intelligent people keep believing them rather than checking the facts for themselves.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

TheWeedNumber posted:

*takes notes, adds “get versed in true crime” under checklist for “bagging white girls.”*

E: *crosses out “white” red pens in “all”*

Be careful. My wife watches enough of that to make me think she has a rather extensive "don't make that mistake" list.

She also started buying very specific cleaning supplies. I will start to really worry when she starts buying barrels or saws.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

ASAPI posted:

Be careful. My wife watches enough of that to make me think she has a rather extensive "don't make that mistake" list.

She also started buying very specific cleaning supplies. I will start to really worry when she starts buying barrels or saws.

My dating pool: https://mobile.twitter.com/mugshawtys?lang=en

E: bae https://twitter.com/mugshawtys/status/1626955850509352960?s=20

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 4, 2023

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ASAPI posted:

Whatever you do, do not make her your life insurance beneficiary.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
https://twitter.com/MalcolmNance/status/1631812389481091073?s=20

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Because all I ever hear is that it’s not going to last, the retirement age got pushed back, and there is zero willingness to raise or eliminate the income caps to help fund it. Don’t yell at me for not expecting retirement in 30 years lol.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 4, 2023

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Tiny Timbs posted:

Because all I ever hear is that it’s not going to last, the retirement age got pushed back, and there is zero willingness to raise or eliminate the income caps to help fund it. Don’t yell at me for not expecting retirement in 30 years lol.

I'm literally yelling at you for not expecting retirement in 30 years. Have some self respect and demand your loving entitlements that you have paid into. It's not loving charity - you're owed those benefits.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yea, their missionaries take a "no", unlike most members of the "be an arse for Jesus" - club. Jehovas and what-have-you, at least we don't have US style megachurches here.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

pmchem posted:

whoa hold on that’s a pretty big accusation and certainly not something I’d want to perpetuate. to check that fact I had to google a bit, and I found this seemingly unbiased recent paper while googling on phone:

https://pubs.aeaweb.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1257/jep.36.1.151

look like at the chart in figure 2B. rates are down across all groups. do we agree on that?

It looks to me like the biggest change is women with only a high school education are having less kids. College educated women seem to be right where they were before.

The biggest drops are with younger people. Birth rates have gone up for people in their 30s and 40s. It’s most likely a wealth effect than anything else. Kids are loving expensive. One of my single women friends is struggling to find a place to buy or rent this year because $42k/yr isn’t enough to do it alone let alone having a kid.

Rich old people complaining about not enough babies is the result of them vacuuming up all of the wealth. Of course millennials and gen z aren’t having a ton of kids until their 30s/40s. We can’t afford it! More than four percent of all millennial wealth resides in Mark Zuckerberg’s pocket. If we had remotely the same amount of money as even gen-x let alone boomers, people would have more kids.

My gf and I have discussed children, but it’s not something we can even dream to afford til I get a job after graduation in 3.5 years.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also, social security, which has plenty of money for the next fifty years or so, would have plenty of money if there wasn’t an abysmally low cap on the tax. Cuts to social security are so that already low rear end tax cap of ~$11k in annual taxes paid can be even lower for the dragons hoarding all of the wealth.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Millennials are the single largest generation in the USA yet we have a home ownership rate of 17% because they’ve all been priced at exorbitant rates and by the time most of us could afford them, interest rates are so high it’s basically impossible to finance a home and afford.

Mortgage rates are north of 7% at the moment. You want millennials and gen-z to have more kids? They need a lot more money.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm literally yelling at you for not expecting retirement in 30 years. Have some self respect and demand your loving entitlements that you have paid into. It's not loving charity - you're owed those benefits.

Ok I’m going to self respect it real hard into existence

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My wife and I are on the leading edge of millennials and we got extremely lucky with the timing of life. Graduated right before 2008 to a company that was doing well despite the financial crisis and actually expanding. Bought our first house a month before the first time homebuyer tax credit expired, it appreciated reasonably in the 8 years we owned it, then moved to a much bigger house with a way bigger yard four years ago.

Got a good rate then and refinanced to a stupid low rate when everything went to poo poo during Covid. With the extra principal payments we’ll have this thing free and clear in ~20 years. It’s “appreciated” 150k since we bought it because lol pandemic pricing, but good lord.

We’ve been very fortunate and I’m thankful for it every day. Someone who graduated after us into the recession? Yeah, that sucks. I have a coworker about my age who recently got divorced, and he said there is no way in hell he can afford a house.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

do you think she's accepting pen pals

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

I'm swiping right but I keep going to the previous page please help

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Tom Sizemore passed away. He had a brain aneurysm a few weeks ago and never regained consciousness.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Ah that sucks. He was a good actor.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It looks to me like the biggest change is women with only a high school education are having less kids. College educated women seem to be right where they were before.

The biggest drops are with younger people. Birth rates have gone up for people in their 30s and 40s. It’s most likely a wealth effect than anything else. Kids are loving expensive. One of my single women friends is struggling to find a place to buy or rent this year because $42k/yr isn’t enough to do it alone let alone having a kid.

Rich old people complaining about not enough babies is the result of them vacuuming up all of the wealth. Of course millennials and gen z aren’t having a ton of kids until their 30s/40s. We can’t afford it! More than four percent of all millennial wealth resides in Mark Zuckerberg’s pocket. If we had remotely the same amount of money as even gen-x let alone boomers, people would have more kids.

My gf and I have discussed children, but it’s not something we can even dream to afford til I get a job after graduation in 3.5 years.

Anecdotally, this is the prevailing mood among everyone I grew up with who I'm still in contact with (which is quite a few of them). The only people I knew as a kid who have been having kids are the wealthy and the already extremely poor. Everyone else has been looking at just the hospital bill for delivering a baby and going nope let's not do this, or is just too depressed, anxious, and stressed out to hold down a serious relationship in the first place.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Professional class white millennials are getting a massive childcare subsidy in the form of being WFH now and able to take care of their kids in between sending two emails a day.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

slurm posted:

Professional class white millennials are getting a massive childcare subsidy in the form of being WFH now and able to take care of their kids in between sending two emails a day.

Tell me you don’t know “professional class white millennial” mothers without telling me you don’t know any “professional class white millennial” mothers.

If anything things got tougher for the mothers I know because of daycare closures and how they would have to parent and educate their kids when they were supposed to be working, and they all have jobs that entail a hell of a lot more than sending two emails a day.

This is a gross post and you should feel bad about making it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

slurm posted:

Yeahhhhhh you might want to rethink that take.

Most of my colleagues who had to WFH and had kids (especially very young ones) went through a far worse hell than most as they ended up having to do work mostly when their kids were sleeping which basically gave them little / no time in the day to do anything but childrearing, homeschooling and work they had to get done once the child was asleep. It's put a lot of stress on their marriages and physical / mental health.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

slurm posted:

Pretend I posted the bender "oh you're serious" gif here, because holy poo poo no.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Also in a lot of cases I noticedit was dad who had the job where he could wfh because mom had to go work at the hospital/bank/other “essential job” that put them at risk of bringing Covid home because some shithead didn’t want to wear a mask.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

slurm posted:

Do you know what 'subsidy' means because the way you used it suggests that you don't.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Milo and POTUS posted:

do you think she's accepting pen pals

*kicks up a foot and throws his hair back* I hope so.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Tom Sizemore passed away. He had a brain aneurysm a few weeks ago and never regained consciousness.

Rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1631734104357044235?s=20

Building new cities just for funsies is straight up dictator poo poo. Look at Naypyidaw in Myanmar, or the new capital Sisi is building in Egypt.

I made it like a minute into this before Trump started talking about flying cars or some bullshit.

Wrong Theory posted:

I get to say it! I get to say it!

WhO's GoNnA pAy FoR iT?!?!

"I am going to fund it out of my bigly bank accounts--which are big--and build a city like nobody's ever seen, like you wouldn't believe. And when I'm robbed of another RIGGED election in 2024, I'm going to attempt to get the MAGAts in the states I win to secede and this will be capital of the Patriot States of America"

And then he stiffs all the contractors who built New Germania and somehow makes it their fault.